MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ BigBoyB, I'm loving the Namor and New Mutants. Who did ya end up going with for the heads?

Thanks Diabolical! Right Now Cpyher has a Matt Tracker Head & Cannonball has a Duke head from the early 2000 GI Joe VS Cobra line. I had to cut the neck off and hollow out the rest to fit on the neck ball and I had to shorten the neck of the Human Torch body I used.

I figured that was the human torch head. It's the best choice I know of.

I'm not familiar with those other heads, but they work well enough. Good Job with the outfits. They've been on my to do list for awhile so it was cool to see em as figures.

In fact I had a Magik on my list and was debating on classic or new but went with classic since there was less work involved ;p

I figured that was the human torch head. It's the best choice I know of.

I'm not familiar with those other heads, but they work well enough. Good Job with the outfits. They've been on my to do list for awhile so it was cool to see em as figures.

In fact I had a Magik on my list and was debating on classic or new but went with classic since there was less work involved ;p

I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to complete her I need ideas on her I can wait to start the rest of the new mutants team

I'm wanting to make a "good" Magneto out of the Secret Wars 2-pack version and I'm trying to figure out who would make a good "helmet-less" head for him. I dug through a bunch of my GI Joe 25th Anniversary figures and the General Hawk figure had the right expression and age for a base head to do a little sculpting and re-painting on the hair, but the scale is just off enough that the head looks noticeably too small on the slightly larger MU body.

Anybody else try doing this? Anybody find a good in-scale base head for this?

On a side note, it's really too bad that the GIJ25th figures are out of scale, because the Tomax or Xamot head from their 2-pack would make a *perfect* unmasked Doom - way better than that re-painted Commander Rogers head they're trying to pass off. Same thing though - Just small enough to look weird.

I'm wanting to make a "good" Magneto out of the Secret Wars 2-pack version and I'm trying to figure out who would make a good "helmet-less" head for him. I dug through a bunch of my GI Joe 25th Anniversary figures and the General Hawk figure had the right expression and age for a base head to do a little sculpting and re-painting on the hair, but the scale is just off enough that the head looks noticeably too small on the slightly larger MU body.

On a side note, it's really too bad that the GIJ25th figures are out of scale, because the Tomax or Xamot head from their 2-pack would make a *perfect* unmasked Doom - way better than that re-painted Commander Rogers head they're trying to pass off. Same thing though - Just small enough to look weird.

http://onyxphoenixproductions.ecrater.com/p/9928075/sh-13

Rad! Thanks Onyx! Looks like I'm ordering a few things from you come next paycheck. :-)

Rad! Thanks Onyx! Looks like I'm ordering a few things from you come next paycheck. :-)

Also, sorry for the newb questions, but can anybody suggest good brands / types of paints to use for painting up a custom piece, especially for the small detail work like one of those unpainted heads? Thanks guys!

as far as paint. I use Testors or Citadel paints. There's another popular one too but I can't think of it.

Maybe the Humbrol or Tamiya.

I was thinking of Tamiya! :)

Yeah it is good stuff. I can't find regular white or black though in my local hobby shop because the earthquake in Japan actually disrupted their production for a while.

Really good paints though.

I hate her hair but at least it's more accurate than it was.

6326019552_669ffc6b09.jpg

original ice man wip

6325259343_04b6abba5e.jpg

Finished Protector, looks fantastic in person, loving it.

6326020926_a56b8b2830.jpg

No buttcrack Mojo. May make him lighter and more yellow.

6325219305_f6cdd7a8a1.jpg

Diabolical Those look great what is the recipe on Protector if I had to guess it a Super Solider Steve Rogers with a lot of sculpey.

Diabolical Those look great what is the recipe on Protector if I had to guess it a Super Solider Steve Rogers with a lot of sculpey.

Yeah it was steve rogers. Def lots of sculpty. I think I'm going to look towards other sources though because the sculpty always looks a lil rough and I kinda hate sanding due to all the dust it creates, but anyway

Steve rogers body with sculpty to create the chest, belt and wrist pieces. Used black widows braces, an ultimate captain america head from the movie line (made the "fin" on his head a bit too wide, but it's good enough for now anyway) and the holsters just came from random figures I'm not using.

if you wanted to sculpt those wrists/chest/belt pieces the same way. I rolled the sculpty into a ball then just take something with a rounded end to push into it. I did the same thing with havok's chest piece

6327324663_7ac797e791.jpg

He's pretty cool though, looks great in person.

they're not that small? just sculpt some hair on him...and voila.

kinda funny though...I think that some mu heads are too big. lol

thanks diabolical. i used a gi joe duke head and for the helmet i used the marvel minimates magneto from the magneto/zero tru exclusive. its kind of funny tho.. there is a peg inside of the helmet so it is hard to put on to dukes head but if that peg wasnt there and if the helmet was just a little bit bigger, its easily able to fit dukes head. with that being said, the original magneto head is off in scale imo.

Since the OPP Halloween contest voting is over I'm gonna go ahead, and reveal that Franken Castle is my greatest custom I've done so far to date, and the winning entry.

I started by looking up a ton of images of this monstrosity that Marvel created the one that really stood out was the one w/ the hose w/ green ooze in his chest so I knew I had to have that as part of him (I'll explain how I did that in a little bit). He started out as a version 2 MU Punisher which I cracked open, and replaced the right upper arm w/ one from a Super battle droid I had to carve the heck out of both the arm, and the right ball socket. Then I replaced his left lower arm w/ the one from the Super battle droid as well. I then cut that side's hand off, and grabbed an RoC Duke's lower arm, and cut it in half, and kept cutting the two lower arm parts shorter, and shorter till they were about the same length as the right arm. Then I went out to the shed to find a car model kit w/ extra rims. I wanted a truck rim, but all I could find that came w/ an extra set of rims was a Ford Focus. In one of the pics I found of him he had these metal rods, or transistors or something sticking out of his left shoulder so I used part of the elbow from the right arm of the SBD, and the detailing from the back of the Iron Man arm gun thing. I used a pair of Juggernaut arm bands for his backpack straps, and a Crimson Guard back pack glued onto those. For the hoses coming out of the back pack I used a couple of "air hoses" from a cobra pilot figure's flight pack, and painted the one over the shoulder black, and then to create the effect that the other hose across the front had liquid in it I painted the back lower side of the hose w/ light green paint so that the paint was on the side of the hose closest to the figure, and the side w/o paint was still clear, and it looks like the paint is inside of the hose, but in fact it's just on the back of it. I then cobbled together a couple of different gun belts, and holsters to make his web gear connected to his existing web gear. For his neck bolts I used a pair of plugs for hands that were posed in a practically useless manner, and just cut them dow, and glued them in place. A big thanks goes to Talies in Crow for the help finding the pics showing his back pack. I combined a few of the pics of it, and ended up w/ a Crimson Guard pack w/ "bolts" cut from the sides of an Iron Man arm gun. I made the leg braces out of sheet styrene, and then cut a small styrene tube into the nuts that hold his legs together. Once I was happy w/ just how Frankensteined he was I carved the stitches, and painted him.

018.jpg

012-1.jpg

019.jpg

009.jpg

022copy.jpg

my helmet less magneto. magneto.jpg

Oh man! That is fantastic! I was thinking about that new Duke for a Steve Rogers head, but I think I like him better for Magneto. The hair might not be perfect, but he's got just the right level of intensity and that slightly wild-eyed quality. Might have to try that route. :-)

Thanks for the tips on paints too, guys!