MU Customs

DarthOnyx

I never realized how much Aunt May dresses like Amy Farrah Fowler! (Sheldon's girlfriend on Big Bang Theory for the uninitiated)

@ Onyx. I know I've got Ares in my back room somewhere. He's already put together though so I don't know how well his head would pop back off. Do you mess up the heads when you make molds of them? I'm fairly certain that his helmet and everything is with him too. Just not sure where I put him.lol

But frankly even if I found him tonight I wouldn't be able to ship the head until Friday at the earliest. I've got three other people waiting on stuff from me but I'm trying not to spend my account too low so my BBTS preorders don't get rejected if the items arrive this week. Wouldn't have been that close, but I had a tire explode on me this past week.

No the original head is not altered. I use hot glue to attach a toothpick for the mold process. Afterwards, the head is boiled and the hot glue just comes out. In fact, if you find the figure, I suggest boiling a pot of water and lowering the figure in it by the feet so only the head is submerged. Leave it in the water for like 10-20 seconds then remove and pop it off. Make sure you shake any hot water off before touching it as sometimes the boiling water will be in the recesses and drip down on your hand when you turn the figure right side up. Here's some examples of what I plan to do with the Ares head.

003-33.jpg

006-13.jpg

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Soundwave- I do want to make a J. Jonah Jameson sometime I just haven't found the right head. I do plan on making an Uncle Ben figure to go along with May.

I'm assuming that's one of the Harry Potter characters as a base. Are they worth picking up at all? I recently got the NECA HP figs (harry, voldemort, ron, hermoine, and draco), but they didn't make Snape. I thought about getting the british ones, but wasn't sure if it's worth the trouble.

The UK Harry Potter figs ARE AWESOME. They have great articulation and are made very well. I make a lot of dios using civilian figures and they work great.

They can be pricey if you try to get them from the UK, so I actually always look at Hong Kong sellers on ebay. You can get them for 5 or 6 bucks a pop.

Soundwave- I do want to make a J. Jonah Jameson sometime I just haven't found the right head. I do plan on making an Uncle Ben figure to go along with May.

I'm assuming that's one of the Harry Potter characters as a base. Are they worth picking up at all? I recently got the NECA HP figs (harry, voldemort, ron, hermoine, and draco), but they didn't make Snape. I thought about getting the british ones, but wasn't sure if it's worth the trouble.

The UK Harry Potter figs ARE AWESOME. They have great articulation and are made very well. I make a lot of dios using civilian figures and they work great.

They can be pricey if you try to get them from the UK, so I actually always look at Hong Kong sellers on ebay. You can get them for 5 or 6 bucks a pop.

You think ou can ink me to a few of them? I'm having trouble finding them on eBay.

Random question:

Can you mix gi joe renegade arms with an MU body? If so, how do you take them apart? for the MU - boil and pop?

I don't think boiling helps much--They pop apart with a little effort if you weaken the seams of the torso with an exacto. I usually start at the neck. The arms should work depending on which arms and which torso you want to use.

Random question:

Can you mix gi joe renegade arms with an MU body? If so, how do you take them apart? for the MU - boil and pop?

If you are just looking to change out the lower arms, and want the elbow to still swivel then just remove the MU lower arm, and remove the elbow joint. Then drill a SHALLOW hole, and then using the engraving bit in your Dremel, and gently Dremel the hole a VERY small amount. Then just pop the Joe lower arm into it.

Otherwise if you want the whole arm switched then you'll have to pop the torso.

My New Custom, MU New Mutants Karma. I used Irina's head from Indiana Jones and Kitty's body. You only need to melt a little the top of the neck of Kitty and fix Irina's head straight away. then you can move her head up down and to the sides just fine, and won't come out.

By the way, I want to paint her boots yellow, but what type of Yellow do I use to match Kitty's uniform? And what paint should I use ? Does anybody knows?

post-27368-1327586417_thumb.jpg

post-27368-1327586423_thumb.jpg

post-27368-1327586428_thumb.jpg

post-27368-1327586433_thumb.jpg

post-27368-1327587454_thumb.jpg

A Bucky or Patriot figure also has those cuffed boots, in a slightly more petit mold. Not sure if it will work with the Kitty Pryde figure's leg proportions, though.

Awesome Karma! She has been one of my favorite characters since I was a kid reading New Mutants Annual #1.

Thank you, but I think I will leave her uniform the way it is, maybe just paint her belt red and her boots yellow, and the hair black as well. Yeah I like Karma too, she is cool. :) x

A Bucky or Patriot figure also has those cuffed boots, in a slightly more petit mold. Not sure if it will work with the Kitty Pryde figure's leg proportions, though.

Awesome Karma! She has been one of my favorite characters since I was a kid reading New Mutants Annual #1.

Thank you, but I think I will leave her uniform the way it is, maybe just paint her belt red and her boots yellow, and the hair black as well. Yeah I like Karma too, she is cool. :) x

I think Classic Cyclops' boots are already yellow? durable hasbro paint. It would just take some acurate cutting, post hole drilling and glueing? and Voila!...Karma! with slightly oversized feet!

That's a pretty cool idea! You're more adventurous with the cutting than I am. I always assumed one would swap them at their knee joints, but your idea is much better. What would you use for posts?

I use tooth picks for the support "beam" between joining cut piece ( I dremel a little hole in each end and then put the piece of tooth pick as the connector.

I've been doing that for literally 15 years as a customizer. My first leg JOINT swap was my Quasar custom where I put Wolverine lower legs and lower knee joints on a classic Cyke upper legs and upper knee joints.

nah! he puts band aids in there. He might have a healing factor, but he's still gotta keep the cuts clean. ;o)

btw, still haven't found my Ares figure. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to quiz my kids to see if it has somehow made its way into one of their boxes of figures. In which case it's going to be fun trying to find the helmet since it's not likely with the rest of the figure. sheesh. kids are fun, but do I have to share my toys with them?!?! lol