MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone use dullcoat or clearcoat to seal figures? does it better help to prevent scratching?

i wish i could customize, all my gear is in another state.

That would make it more difficult to make customs. Lol. I've clearcoated my figures. I've had mix experiences with it honestly (my own fault tbs). Sometimes, I've oversprayed them, and they get sticky. No es bueno! Also, the stuff I've used would make some parts paler (also when over applied). Most of the time, the overspraying would happen because I either (a) stood too close while spraying, or (b) I misjudged how evenly I was spraying. You don't want the stuff getting runny, especially not in the joints. It takes some trial and error.

As for the prevention of scratches... one or two figs with the coat have still scratched from light roughing up. If there's a better method, I'd love to hear it.

What do the rest of you think? What do you use? Any tips?

anyone use dullcoat or clearcoat to seal figures? does it better help to prevent scratching?

That would make it more difficult to make customs. Lol. I've clearcoated my figures. I've had mix experiences with it honestly (my own fault tbs). Sometimes, I've oversprayed them, and they get sticky. No es bueno! Also, the stuff I've used would make some parts paler (also when over applied). Most of the time, the overspraying would happen because I either (a) stood too close while spraying, or (b) I misjudged how evenly I was spraying. You don't want the stuff getting runny, especially not in the joints. It takes some trial and error.

As for the prevention of scratches... one or two figs with the coat have still scratched from light roughing up. If there's a better method, I'd love to hear it.

hm good info ty. would you say you felt it was more scratch resistant than it was with just paint?

Model/maxicure/hobbycraft/superglue -light layer on joints, make sure it is smooth and tapered. be very careful not to put it 'in' the joints. use it sparingly and put it on the figure before you put it back together when possible.

I guess I need to find a spray can of clear coats. I've used the brush applications for both dull and gloss goats and the gloss has always worked great but the dull coat seemed to want to remove the paint from the figure even on parts that had been painted months before and were obviously dry (and error free up until that!) So maybe spraying would help since you wouldn't have the brush rubbing on it to possibly remove the paint underneath. It was only in places but still annoying to go back and fix when I thought it should all be safe to apply a dulling agent.

The gloss coat workd so nice though. I had some stuf that just wasn't as shiny as I wanted, especially my flame sword, which obviously could not be dull at all. I applied some clear gloss coat to it and boy did it shine it up and it seemed like a nice hard casing on it almost. Not really thicker, though I know it is slightly, just seemed like a nice hard/shiny finish. Dull coat helped bring down the shine on parts like legs and such where pants really shouldn't be shiny unless you're making a Dazzler custom.lol I'm going to have to look for a spray can for next time though, unless someone else can tell me what went wrong. It was an acrylic product used over acrylic paints. But it apparently has some thinner/solvent in it so it is really easy to screw up.

I'm currently working on making this, and I was wondering if anyone was interested.

252.jpg

It's made of a new formulation I came up with, and if it proves to be stable enough I'll put it in my store. I'm going to wait a few days just to make sure there aren't any unusual defects since I'm using parts from 2 different formulas that aren't originally meant to be mixed.

Model/maxicure/hobbycraft/superglue -light layer on joints, make sure it is smooth and tapered. be very careful not to put it 'in' the joints. use it sparingly and put it on the figure before you put it back together when possible.

Did you use paintbrush to the glue on or you used something else?

Did you use paintbrush to the glue on or you used something else?

toothpicks are more expendable. spread with tothpick. just don't still be spreading while its drying. very thin layers of glue...or you may have to sand.

16614306[/url]']

I'm currently working on making this, and I was wondering if anyone was interested.

252.jpg

It's made of a new formulation I came up with, and if it proves to be stable enough I'll put it in my store. I'm going to wait a few days just to make sure there aren't any unusual defects since I'm using parts from 2 different formulas that aren't originally meant to be mixed.

Nice idea. Would love to see that in red like comics.

toothpicks are more expendable. spread with tothpick. just don't still be spreading while its drying. very thin layers of glue...or you may have to sand.

really? you have good luck? I think mine probably wouldn't come out very smooth.

to be quite honest, i haven't done it in a long time and didn't do it often. i found that trick on jin saotome's site though.