• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Banshee

Banshee2_zpsa31e3f28.jpg

Banshee1_zpsf0615a45.jpg

Recipe:

Head: Joe M.E. Blowtorch (repurposed from my Roger Dawn of the Dead custom)

Body: MU Iron Fist

Hands: X-Factor Cyclops (just wanted hands that were already yellow)

wings/flaps- Toy Biz 5 inch GS X-men set.

collar- sculpted

Captain Marvel

CaptainMarvelRambeau_zpsa8b0c6c3.jpg

CaptainMarvelRambeau2_zps03d60880.jpg

Recipe:

Head SW Epi.1 Adi Gallia- hair sculpted

Body: FF team pack white Invisible Woman

Legs: Mockingbird

cape- white grocery bag.

Banshee
Banshee2_zpsa31e3f28.jpg
Banshee1_zpsf0615a45.jpg
Recipe:
collar- sculpted
Captain Marvel
CaptainMarvelRambeau_zpsa8b0c6c3.jpg
CaptainMarvelRambeau2_zps03d60880.jpg
Recipe:
cape- white grocery bag.

The plastic bag idea is awesome. I like it! I am often looking for appropriately colored pilates bands to eventually turn into capes and such. Awesome idea with the bag. i'm sure it doesn't hamper arm movement and posability the way a thicker substance would? I wonder how baloon material would compare?

Banshee
Recipe:
collar- sculpted
Captain Marvel
Recipe:
cape- white grocery bag.

The plastic bag idea is awesome. I like it! I am often looking for appropriately colored pilates bands to eventually turn into capes and such. Awesome idea with the bag. i'm sure it doesn't hamper arm movement and posability the way a thicker substance would? I wonder how baloon material would compare?

I think balloon material would not work long term. They dry out eventually.. the bad thing about grocery bags is that they take decades to breakdown. I think it worked good for Captain Marvel capey/sleeve thing.

I hadn't thought of the resistance band thing. There's some capes that those might work really well for.

Ok... been doing a few head swaps and repaints... but now I want to switch some parts.

Add in the fact that I just broke my SW Mr. Fantastic just by spinning his bicep around, I'm a LITTLE nervous...

Soooooooo what is the preferred method of switching the body parts here? Masters of the Universe folks talk about 'boil and pop' and Hairdryers... but those are much sturdier toys. Does that work here too?

My favorite method is to soak the figure in a dish of boiling water for a few minutes.

You still have to be gentle with the figures--certain bucks have particular joints that do not respond well to manipulation. Trying to pull the forearms out of their sockets on a Rogue figure still gives me nightmares. Some figures are surprisingly easy. The Hercules and Cable bucks come apart like they were greased in advance. The JL Cyke buck is pretty easy to work with. The ancient Daredevil buck did have fussy bicep swivels. They stayed pretty tight. Just wait 'til you get into mixing Gi Joe and MU parts! Then the fun begins.

Actually, just today I did something which I thought was fairly cool: I swapped a Showdown Ghost Rider's lower legs onto a spare Luke Cage figure I have. I'm trying to make Cage into Thunderbolts Cage, and I wanted some boots that would lend themselves gracefully to Cage's not-too-exceptional Thunderbolts-era boots (it looks like he's still wearing this getup in Mighty Avengers?). I had to cut deeper grooves into the Ghost Rider lower legs, and it was a struggle trying to get the pins back into the knee joints, but now the legs fit on very snuggly, and I just upped the articulation quotient on my Cage figure by only like a million. :laugh:

DSC_0116_zps3cbab97c.jpg

this is the Cap I am trying to figure out how to make.. but I really don't want to repaint him.

which parts did you repaint, if any?

Similar to what NeroZero did on the last page I took the light-up base cap and the new Cap. Kept the old Cap's torso and upper arms, used the new Cap's lower arms, legs, neck and head. The only real modification I made was chopping off the old Cap's neck and attaching the new Cap's so he can still look up and down. If you're careful with that part, the blues are close enough that you don't need to paint. Although I repainted everything cause I'm crazy.

Cap-Comparison_zps794aa21f.jpg

DSC_0116_zps3cbab97c.jpg

this is the Cap I am trying to figure out how to make.. but I really don't want to repaint him.

which parts did you repaint, if any?

Similar to what NeroZero did on the last page I took the light-up base cap and the new Cap. Kept the old Cap's torso and upper arms, used the new Cap's lower arms, legs, neck and head. The only real modification I made was chopping off the old Cap's neck and attaching the new Cap's so he can still look up and down. If you're careful with that part, the blues are close enough that you don't need to paint. Although I repainted everything cause I'm crazy.

Cap-Comparison_zps794aa21f.jpg

That looks great. I'd like better-formed wings on that head, though.