MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SOooooooo.... I had an 'incident' yesterday applying some spray matte clear on a custom. I'm not sure if I didn't shake it well enough or WHAT. but the figure ended up with a white frosting kind of 'slimed' look.

Basically looks like crap, and now I need it off. Anyone know a good way to get that stuff OFF a figure? soap? Acetone? REALLY don't wnat to start from scratch on this thing... but gotta do SOMEthing....

......it's already painted right? Everything you can do is going to strip off what you painted. It sucks, but I've done that before. You have to repaint.

Finished Mastermind.

Mastermindcomplete_zps6dc43e30.jpg

Head - Indiana Jones with sculpted hair.

Cape - Resolute Cobra Commander shawl - modified.

Torso and legs - DCIH President Lex. A lot of sculpted torso work. Added the suit pockets, and made the suit a three button number.

Arms 25h Anni Wild Bill

Hands- Gandalf (for some reason I thought the fingerless gloves really worked for the "shabby" lookingness of Mastermind. Sure he's in a suit but he looks like he slept in it.)

SOooooooo.... I had an 'incident' yesterday applying some spray matte clear on a custom. I'm not sure if I didn't shake it well enough or WHAT. but the figure ended up with a white frosting kind of 'slimed' look.

Basically looks like crap, and now I need it off. Anyone know a good way to get that stuff OFF a figure? soap? Acetone? REALLY don't wnat to start from scratch on this thing... but gotta do SOMEthing....

Don't know if this will work but when i'm using testors and mess up I throw the piece into some lighter fluid and it comes off pretty good. Just wash it off with water afterwards lol

Don't know if this will work but when i'm using testors and mess up I throw the piece into some lighter fluid and it comes off pretty good. Just wash it off with water afterwards lol

Hmmm... Thanks for the suggestion. Have to see what I can find...

......it's already painted right? Everything you can do is going to strip off what you painted. It sucks, but I've done that before. You have to repaint.

This isn't so much a custom... as it is a metal miniature, but I use pretty much the same process. At the end, I usually hit it with a coat or two of shiny clear gloss for a nice hard shell... then hit with some matte clear to knock the shine down.

The matte clear went on like crap... I'm REALLY hoping I can find a way to just lose the first layer or two before ruining the paint on this guy... Feels like I've been working on him forever... and frankly I'm a little bored with him. BUt he's for a friend, so it's gotta get done. The idea of starting from scratch just nauseates me a bit...

I've had the clear coat wear off after time and use.... but I've neverreally TRIED to take it off... I'm wondering if thinner or acetone would even work on that stuff O.o

I put it on there to NOT come off >.<

Sounds a BIT encouraging on that part though! :)

Have people seen the Mara Jade 3.75" black series figure coming out? I feel like that might make the best head-swap for Jean Grey available so far. :-D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CG5WZSC/ref=s9_newr_gw_d5_g21_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1JADZGZ1YDTA22FYX5Q8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Have people seen the Mara Jade 3.75" black series figure coming out? I feel like that might make the best head-swap for Jean Grey available so far. :-D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CG5WZSC/ref=s9_newr_gw_d5_g21_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1JADZGZ1YDTA22FYX5Q8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

the face sculpt is great, but the hair is awful looking

Did a little neck surgery on Abomination.

pretty cool,

marked improvement.

only minor critique and isn't on your work is now the arms look a little low. but now they all look like they should of raised the arms a tiny bit.

but I like this head raise, I might try it myself if I find a minute.

I love the monsters.

Hey everybody. I haven't posted a new custom in a while. I've been working in other styles and lines. But, I do have a couple to share.

First up is 90s-style Jubilee. Pretty obvious, pretty easy. See my screen name.

Next is Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung-Fu. He's mostly a G.I.Joe: Pursuit of Cobra Quick Kick, with feet from a Super Hero Showdown Namor. The tunic comes from the 5" Toy Biz version from so long ago.

Finally, Dr. Druid. I had called this one "finished" for a while, but then this weekend I picked up a Gandalf from the 3.75" Hobbit line that had more accurate sleeves. The body is a Scarlet Spider (which allows him to do the cross-legged yoga pose) and the cape is from Moon Knight (though it is not strong enough to support the figure's weight). The head is Dr. Henry Jones Sr. from the Indian Jones line.

One of the very first Trade Paperbacks I bought when I first got into comics was the collected X-Men Vs. the Avengers mini-series, which had Dr. Druid in it, which is why I felt compelled to make this figure.

post-23162-0-49434100-1379903848_thumb.jpgpost-23162-0-13790500-1379903867_thumb.jpgpost-23162-0-20497800-1379904156_thumb.jpgpost-23162-0-40725300-1379904170_thumb.jpgpost-23162-0-81258300-1379904182_thumb.jpgpost-23162-0-82197800-1379904196_thumb.jpgpost-23162-0-61818900-1379904207_thumb.jpgpost-23162-0-91280800-1379904217_thumb.jpgpost-23162-0-61172100-1379904299_thumb.jpg