MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In trying to do my part to help the community, I decided to complete my long WIP Wasp. That way, Hasbro will go ahead and release their version - it's like carrying an umbrella so it won't rain.

First, some boring backstory: When I first began customizing some 15 months ago, I was purposely over-ambitious. I figured that if I didn't challenge myself, my skills would never develop. Wasp was in that first group of customs I started. (And most of the first ones are languishing.) As I look back with a better sense of how to customize, I am revisiting those old ideas.

I recently did that with Wasp. About 10 days ago I had an idea for a much easier recipe - less ambitious, but still a nice Wasp. I ordered a couple of figures for parts, and one they got here I finished in about two days. Granted, I already had the head painted (it was a custom cast unpainted Maria Hill to start with). But everything else came together quickly.

My old formula called for Tinkerbell wings and a more custom costume. This version is: Maria Hill head; Avengers Assemble Black Widow torso, upper arms, and leg stubs; Baroness lower arms with the gloves removed; MU Patriot gloves; Jubilee thighs, knees, and upper calf; Elektra lower calf and feet; MU Nova belt (I had used the belt buckle on Odin); a segment of the LUB Black Widow belt (one circle) as a belt buckle; Star Wars Sun Fac wings; and the goggles (optional) are from G.I. Joe Renegades Ripcord.

The only painting is on the head , the red trim on her belt buckle, and some minor color alteration of the wings.

So I show Wasp to my wife, who has been following my progress for 15 months, and all she can say is, "Yeah, it looks like Maria Hill with wings." Thanks, babe. So I added the goggles to disguise the fact that it is Maria Hill's head, AND I'm working on an alternate head. (Wife: "That ones a *little* better." - Now you know my harshest critic.)

Wasp on my computer monitor. Life size!

DSC_0901croppedcc50_zpsd52e6aae.jpg

Telling off Hank:

DSC_0910cccropped50_zps6e84f1bd.jpg

Without the goggles (De goggles! They do nothink!):

DSC_0917croppedcc50_zpsd183057a.jpg

The wings can fold down or be removed if accurate display with other full-sized Avengers is desired.

DSC_0923croppedcc50_zps769ca311.jpg

Okay, Hasbro, make my work moot!

Wow Psycho Pirate. Awesome work, but this must totally feel like a kick in the teeth after seeing Mr.Curto's scan on the main page.

If we prepare a list of characters for you to customize, would you get to work on those right away (Hasbro seems to have quick turnaround on your customs) ;)

Not really - Hasbro's is basically her Ultimates costume. I can keep my custom on my Avengers shelf (I rend towards classic costumes with them anyway) and can put the upcoming figure with my Ultimates. Win-win!

She doesn't look bad there...

DSC_104350_zpsf184a357.jpg

It's cool man. The shades help separate it from Maria Hill. I'm really hoping that one Hasbro announced is 3.75 afterall and not 6

In trying to do my part to help the community, I decided to complete my long WIP Wasp. That way, Hasbro will go ahead and release their version - it's like carrying an umbrella so it won't rain.
First, some boring backstory: When I first began customizing some 15 months ago, I was purposely over-ambitious. I figured that if I didn't challenge myself, my skills would never develop. Wasp was in that first group of customs I started. (And most of the first ones are languishing.) As I look back with a better sense of how to customize, I am revisiting those old ideas.
I recently did that with Wasp. About 10 days ago I had an idea for a much easier recipe - less ambitious, but still a nice Wasp. I ordered a couple of figures for parts, and one they got here I finished in about two days. Granted, I already had the head painted (it was a custom cast unpainted Maria Hill to start with). But everything else came together quickly.
My old formula called for Tinkerbell wings and a more custom costume. This version is: Maria Hill head; Avengers Assemble Black Widow torso, upper arms, and leg stubs; Baroness lower arms with the gloves removed; MU Patriot gloves; Jubilee thighs, knees, and upper calf; Elektra lower calf and feet; MU Nova belt (I had used the belt buckle on Odin); a segment of the LUB Black Widow belt (one circle) as a belt buckle; Star Wars Sun Fac wings; and the goggles (optional) are from G.I. Joe Renegades Ripcord.
The only painting is on the head , the red trim on her belt buckle, and some minor color alteration of the wings.
So I show Wasp to my wife, who has been following my progress for 15 months, and all she can say is, "Yeah, it looks like Maria Hill with wings." Thanks, babe. So I added the goggles to disguise the fact that it is Maria Hill's head, AND I'm working on an alternate head. (Wife: "That ones a *little* better." - Now you know my harshest critic.)
Telling off Hank:
The wings can fold down or be removed if accurate display with other full-sized Avengers is desired.

Telling off Hank:

DSC_0910cccropped50_zps6e84f1bd.jpg

DSC_0917croppedcc50_zpsd183057a.jpg

DSC_0923croppedcc50_zps769ca311.jpg

Really love this man the wings are sic I'll put money on the new release from hasblow having crappy ones

Another character that I loved when I was reading the Silver Surfer (drawn by Ron Lim) when I was in high school was Drax. I don't really like his new look so I decided to attempt to make his "classic" one. Last shot with Surfer and Adam are just for scale.

005_zps2b6476a6.jpg

006_zps4cad01b0.jpg

007_zpse59dfd35.jpg

Awesome drax man I've been wanting to make this one for a while and that skaar head is way better suited for drax than it ever was for skaar