MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the winter weather shutting down the south for the week, I finally got the chance to work on my first custom painting projects (mostly head swaps-thanks Rodimus and Glassman). I will say that given the opportunity to do these again, I think the results would be much better with my gained knowledge and experience.

Please feel free to share any feedback or tips.

Up first is a Baghead Spidey painted to make a Peter Parker head (in the photo it is resting on the spidey body-they're necks don't fit the baghead's and I am not planning to dremel it any as I like it on the FF body) please forgive the poor angle of the photo, his head would be proportionate if set on the body after dremeling,

IMG_3392_zps67f4e477.jpg

Here is a side view:

IMG_3393_zpse4c6a45d.jpg

What's this? A new home for the MU Custom's thread!

Mary Jane, my most annoying custom to date! I spent hours and hours... and hours, trying to get her eyes to match. She may have had 30 botched left eyes before I got one to be close enough to move forward with the custom, frustrating. Close inspection she looks a lil' rough in the face but at arms length she looks really good.

More pics on my fb page.

IMAG0390.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this is kind of a bummer to me. I spend most of my time in the MU section of the site, and this thread is no longer pinned there. It's dropped off the map. So I come to this thread far less often, and I imagine others come less frequently as well. My 2cents, anyway.

I have a question about protecting joints on these figures. I've been following Jin Saotome's advice on joint protection--dremelling and the sanding the joints where they rub close, and now I'm trying the superglue method, because on it's own the first method doesn't seem to totally work. So I'm supergluing away, and letting the stuff cure for about 12 hours, and when I test the joint the paint and the glue just tear straight off immediately. Do I need thinner paint layers on the joints? More dremelling?

Have any of you had success with protecting the paint on the joints of these figures, and can you share a technique? Thanks in advance.

Same Feihong. At least they got it working like it should.

I have the same problem and no good solution for ya. I usually dremel them down and while it doesn't look as good it works pretty well. The biggest problem I run into is the shoulder region and where the arm connects to the shoulder. I've learned thin paint is the way to go but still haven't mastered avoiding paint rub.

On the figure I'm experimenting with, I left some joints untested for longer. So it's been about 20 hours, and the shoulder joints seem to be working without tearing paint and glue off. So maybe letting the glue settle a bit longer is what I need? I am way to impatient for this sh*t.

I'm having fun with dry brushing, though. I'm starting to get textures I really like. The metallic paint works well with a white undercoat. So I'm basically happy. Looking forward to trying different washes and varnishes on the figures. But protecting the joints is one really tedious step in the middle of all this fun!

I'm coming here less, but I long ago subscribed to this thread. So while I disliked the move, it really hasn't affected me that much. But there is noticeably less traffic IMO.

Catching up on some of my recent customs:

First appearance Spider-Man - really all I did was add the armpit webs to the black Spidey variant and give him a criminal to carry.

Spideyfirstappearance350_zpsa8a7e052.jpg

First appearance of the Hulk. Added the Classic Avengers Hulk head (repainted gray) to the recent gray Hulk body, and added a ripped shirt from a Marvel Legends (Toy Biz) Zombie.

Hulkfirstappearancefront50_zps867a8a8e.j

Hulkfirstappearanceisofrontandback_zpscf

With those, I created a "first appearance" display.

Marvelfirsts50_zps4d920211.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, both of you.

When I attempted sand, I painted a base coat of sand-colored paint, and then while it was still good and wet I sprinkled actual sand on it thoroughly. (I used purchased diorama sand to get more uniform and cleaner particles - the finest/smallest size they had.) Then I painted over that with another thin layer of sand-colored paint, and then sealed with dullcote.It's solid as a rock, too.

sandystandfront_zps82f7b879.jpg

That looks good. Mine looks more like a cloud which is probably more accurate for Dust. I guess i could try lightning up the color a bit. I'm just not all that happy about the thing. Thanks for sharing.

Tamiya makes a nice durable clear paint ("clear X-22 Item 81022"). I'll bet you could mix sand with it and brush it on in loooong stokes to look like flowing wind. Use a relatively large brush and do it in several steps, avoiding overlapping the stokes until the last layer. (X-22 is my durable secret sealer weapon, when needed. It won't help joints, but on something like Vision's belt - above - that has potential to move and rub against stuff, it is great. Kinda glossy, but dullcote fixes that.)

@psychopirate Where is the Kitty head from? Looks good. That Vision looks great.

That is Camie Loneozner from the Star Wars line. And thanks.

I like that idea. I've been pretty happy with Tamiya so far and the paints smell nice! I almost picked up some clear on my last order but ran out of money. Right now all I have is a testors flat clear which I kind of hate, but it has it's uses.

Sizemore - I had to look her up. That looks like a good choice for her. I don't like the real cloth look so chose to sculpt it with green stuff. It was a bit of a pain but pretty happy with it.