MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ty. Those shelving units are awesome and pretty cheap. I used to hate them until I bought one. They don't keep the dust off but I can hang stuff from 'em like the Silver Surfer and Spider-man.

Looks cool. You must have gotten Blade from a China dumpster? I've gotten a few figures that way, Just finished archangel "death version" from a body only archangel I picked up a year or two ago + vortious "death" head.

Nice surfer pose! Nice shelving unit, too.

I replaced Ms. Marvel's head with the open mask version of Dark Ms. Marvel:

MsMarvel50cropped_zpsb1ddb844.jpg

I also had a body-only Blade - I added a Cade Skywalker cape (painted the interior red) and added his sword and throwing star from Vortious.

Bladeiso1_zpsaee95bb4.jpg

Looks cool. You must have gotten Blade from a China dumpster? I've gotten a few figures that way, Just finished archangel "death version" from a body only archangel I picked up a year or two ago + vortious "death" head.

I got that Blade body from Jason1551, who said he got it for the purpose of finishing it off but never got around to it.

He probably got it from a China seller, though. I didn't ask him.

Strong guy. I posted a wip a long time ago and finally got around to finishing it. My plan was to make a modern Strong Guy with the orange and black outfit with the jacket. It ended up being a pain. The jacket I had for him didn't fit well so I shaved down his shoulders.. then decided to scrap the jacket and just go with the orange and black so I had to resculpt the shoulders and I think they were better the first time around. Next I would have had to modify the head and I really didn't feel like painting the tiny white line separating the back and orange so I figured I'd just go this route. I need to match the head a lil better but it's basically done. Hopefully if Hasbro makes a strong guy it will be the orange and black so I don't have to feel the sad.

1622817_219342258265827_1321316219_n.jpg

Also, more pics on my FB page.

Thanks for the kind words, both of you.

When I attempted sand, I painted a base coat of sand-colored paint, and then while it was still good and wet I sprinkled actual sand on it thoroughly. (I used purchased diorama sand to get more uniform and cleaner particles - the finest/smallest size they had.) Then I painted over that with another thin layer of sand-colored paint, and then sealed with dullcote.It's solid as a rock, too.

sandystandfront_zps82f7b879.jpg

PP! That is awesome.

Dullcoat works magic on figures. Can you link me to what brand you used for Dull coat?

Dullcoat works magic on figures. Can you link me to what brand you used for Dull coat?

I use Testor's Dullcote. http://www.amazon.com/Testor-Corp-Dull-Spray-Testors/dp/B0035LOUMU

If your local Wal-mart has a car model section in their toy department (not all Wal-marts do) then they carry it for around $5.

Anniversary month week 2 kicks off another new deal for you guys. Now I added assembly as an optional extra service towards the end of last month. However going forward all orders of $150 or more *before shipping* will get free assembly of 2 suited figure kits, or one Furball kit (only assembly is free you will have to pay for the kit itself). I won't be adding the flame wheel motorcycles to this because they won't fit into the boxes we currently use assembled.

Caliban - I have a lot to say about him but I'll try to shorten it up.
Essentially it's derivative of Onyx Phoenix's custom but with my own interpretation that strays from the comic.
Also he's not quite the hulk he is in the comics but I pictured the Herc body to be a good base before looking at reference art. Still he looks pretty cool to me and I saw a custom with him hulk sized and didn't like it.
No wash on his body. His head has a subtle wash. I chose to go that route because it all looked so clean that it worked for me as is.

1175167_225467650986621_1574685024_n.jpg

I'm going to be moving so may not be customizing for awhile so I figured I'd end with a real good one.

12495_227390700794316_1956201142_n.jpg

My gripes is that the putty was at the end of it's working time when I was using it so his sleeves could have looked better.

Next was the belt I used I had to make some unwanted edits to make it work but it still looks alright.

No XSE symbols but he was drawn lots without 'em as well so it works.

Overall though I think he's pretty awesome, looks great in hand and is a very welcome addition to my shelf.