Why are so many people selling their collections?

Ninjak

Why are so many long-time collectors suddenly selling off their entire collections?

I could be because of the economy, and some people may need the money. But let's face it, no one is really going to get rich selling their Legends off on Ebay.

It seems to me that the real answer is, that because it appears that there may be no more new Marvel Legends coming out, that a lot of people have just lost interest. That really doesn't make much sense to me. Just because there may be no NEW Legends coming out, how does that affect the figures that one already has. I for one still really dig my collection, and I don't plan on getting rid of it. If no more new Legends ever come out, so be it. I can still enjoy the one's that I do have.

Anyone else have any theories on this sudden epidemic of seller-itis?

I can't believe anyone would think the PUniverse figures are good enough to get rid of their Marvel Legends. Ludicrous. Anyways I sell mine whenever I need some extra money for bills or what not but then I just buy them again. The nice thing is that there are so many of these so if you do get rid of them you can always get another some other day!

i blame marvel and hasbro for it. someone has to say it and it is the way i see it. sorry but marvel just saw dollar signs in the hasbro deal and thats it. hasbro trys to make money with lazy methods and thats why so many collectors are gone from the first place. i collect marvel since i can #$@# in my pants and i will never sell my collection. i realy understand if you need the money then you have no other choices. i dont have to tell all the problems everyone had because it had been discussed a hundred times, so i blame the companys for it, that the fans are loosing interest in just repainted figures.

i blame marvel and hasbro for it. someone has to say it and it is the way i see it. sorry but marvel just saw dollar signs in the hasbro deal and thats it. hasbro trys to make money with lazy methods and thats why so many collectors are gone from the first place.

You know I was waited for some one to give us this excuse. took longer then I thought.

i might sell my collection, im going to college this fall, and besides a select few, i just don't want them anymore. plus the 'cancellation' of the waves kinda just added to that decision. right now Hasbro has put ML's on the back burner and i still believe their slowly phasing them out for the crappy 3 3/4's ones.

plus the availability of ML's jut sucks now, and i dont feel like putting in the effort to find the ones i really want while trying to balance, basically a new life, with college, jobs, and internships. also it seems 3/4 of the figures were getting now are just repainted molds thrown together to kinda resemble a character. it seems like they look at all the parts they have and try to decide who they can build from the pieces they already have.

plus their taking up a lot of room.

From what I've seen on the various threads here over time, especially the last few years since Hasbro took over the line, is that collectors who talk about how they are 'getting out' or selling their MLs, no longer are looking forward to 'new' MLs coming down the pike for their own various reasons. And built into our society, from cradle to grave, is to look to the future and look to consume- 'more stuff', 'new stuff.' Some here may take exception to that, but it's true. Americans don't like to admit they are conditioned so completely to consume and spend - it makes them feel and appear less in control of their impulses and more easily manipulated by marketers - but we are, it's a fact of our culture. It's so ingrained that some will post back to me that I'm full of cr@p and 'they're' not one of those people. But consciously or unconsciously, it plays a roll in many people getting out of collecting them. Once the anticipation of a new wave, or the thrill of having the latest figure in their hands is gone, the desire to keep them starts to fade... the chase is better than the catch.

I myself have been a Marvel reader and fan for decades and only collect ML figs. I've waited many, many years for someone to make decent three dimensional figures of the characters I love, to bring them to life - and no, 1970's Mego figs didn't cut it for me. So I don't plan to sell them and I am looking forward to seeing what Hasbro has in store.

And BTW, I am not discounting anyone who says some people are just plain old hurting for cash, that's very true too.

i blame marvel and hasbro for it. someone has to say it and it is the way i see it. sorry but marvel just saw dollar signs in the hasbro deal and thats it. hasbro trys to make money with lazy methods and thats why so many collectors are gone from the first place. i collect marvel since i can #$@# in my pants and i will never sell my collection. i realy understand if you need the money then you have no other choices. i dont have to tell all the problems everyone had because it had been discussed a hundred times, so i blame the companys for it, that the fans are loosing interest in just repainted figures.

If that's the case, why are people selling the older, better figures?

I´ve thought of selling my collection as well, but not quit collecting.

The reasons I would quit ML would be these.

1. Looks

DCUC´s homogenous,consistant look and articulation over the entire series makes some ML, old and new, look as if they were part of different lines. which leads me to point number

2. Line Interaction

MU are much more compatible with other 3 3/4 inch figures, for us who like interaction between other lines.

3. PLaysets and Vehicles. Easier to make

4. MU has that consistent look in most figs. But One Thing I hate is that Hasbro´s elbow joint.

From what I've seen on the various threads here over time, especially the last few years since Hasbro took over the line, is that collectors who talk about how they are 'getting out' or selling their MLs, no longer are looking forward to 'new' MLs coming down the pike for their own various reasons. And built into our society, from cradle to grave, is to look to the future and look to consume- 'more stuff', 'new stuff.' Some here may take exception to that, but it's true. Americans don't like to admit they are conditioned so completely to consume and spend - it makes them feel and appear less in control of their impulses and more easily manipulated by marketers - but we are, it's a fact of our culture. It's so ingrained that some will post back to me that I'm full of cr@p and 'they're' not one of those people. But consciously or unconsciously, it plays a roll in many people getting out of collecting them. Once the anticipation of a new wave, or the thrill of having the latest figure in their hands is gone, the desire to keep them starts to fade... the chase is better than the catch.

I myself have been a Marvel reader and fan for decades and only collect ML figs. I've waited many, many years for someone to make decent three dimensional figures of the characters I love, to bring them to life - and no, 1970's Mego figs didn't cut it for me. So I don't plan to sell them and I am looking forward to seeing what Hasbro has in store.

And BTW, I am not discounting anyone who says some people are just plain old hurting for cash, that's very true too.

This is pretty much the way I see it as well. I think that most people just like the thrill of the hunt and buying something new.

Myself, I would probably only get rid of my Legends if some better figures came along to replace them. (BTW Marvel Universe ain't them). For example, I sold off or traded all my old 5" figures from the '90s Spider-Man and X-Men animated lines once Legends came along and I replaced all those older figs with upgrades.

it's getting old. most MLs are from the early 2000's, and new product isnt pumping. add the fact that they keep raising the price on stuff...gets kinda hard. i decided to sell most of my marvel figs when i seen that i could NEVER have a complete team. at times, i want them back. at other times....im glad that i sold them.

A real "collector" never sells his figures unless they are doubles of the exact same figure he already owns. A collector always keeps on collecting. These guys selling their stuff are mostly broke and need the money. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Sometimes if you have 3 kids, daddy has to sell his toys so the kids don't have to use food stamps. It's the grown up decsion to make.

What happens is that action appears of DC Universe Clasic leaves too much fast by series and is too expensive, and to make matters worse the distribution is not sufficient the great thing for the demand reason why it increases but its value of collector, by such reason it is that many collectors (I am afraid that I must also be included) estan thinking that the only form to secure the lost series and those that estan to leave she is selling everything what they tenian of Marvel Legends

1. Looks

DCUC´s homogenous,consistant look and articulation over the entire series makes some ML, old and new, look as if they were part of different lines. which leads me to point number

2. Line Interaction

MU are much more compatible with other 3 3/4 inch figures, for us who like interaction between other lines.

4. MU has that consistent look in most figs. But One Thing I hate is that Hasbro´s elbow joint.

ohh yeah the elbow joints...or I HATE THE WAY HASBRO LIKES TO RAPE PEOPLE!!!

come on you want me to pay $10 bucks for some G.I Joe's? oh and about that have you seen the new movie line: about the same price as th MU may be 60 cents less, and they get way more. 3 guns 1 that is as big as the figure a Back pack and a stand base. come on at least pack a stand with a name so we can display the damn thing! My be they like sabitoshing Marvel so that way when the contract is up they can say "hey look marvel your lisnce did not do to good people lost intrest. That way Hasbro can get a cheaper contract next time.

it's getting old. most MLs are from the early 2000's, and new product isnt pumping. add the fact that they keep raising the price on stuff...gets kinda hard. i decided to sell most of my marvel figs when i seen that i could NEVER have a complete team. at times, i want them back. at other times....im glad that i sold them.

Hey pooda, I can't think of too many teams that can't be completed. There are several Avengers line-ups that can be done, the Fantastic Four, the core X-Men, the original Defenders, and even the Champions. The only one's I can think of that can't be done are the New Warriors and the expanded Defenders (Nighthawk, Hellcat and Valkyrie). That's not too bad.

Plus, you're more into DC than Marvel anyway. I'll bet you haven't given up too many of your DCUC figs. (If any). Speaking of which, I was recently considering selling off all of my DCUC figures (I have around 50 or so). Then I reconsidered, because I pretty much have every DC Character that I like, so why get rid of them? They don't take up that much space. I just probably won't buy any more, (except possibly Green Arrow). So my point is, just because I'm not going to get any new ones, doesn't automatically mean I need to get rid of what I already have.

A real "collector" never sells his figures unless they are doubles of the exact same figure he already owns. A collector always keeps on collecting. These guys selling their stuff are mostly broke and need the money. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Sometimes if you have 3 kids, daddy has to sell his toys so the kids don't have to use food stamps. It's the grown up decsion to make.

that's the truth. and in any of those peoples cases....it was a good decision. but in mine...ML just got boring. same old DD, samo old ironman, same old, same old. plus, i have enough cash to drop a line and start it all over again. and if i ever went "broke" ill sell one of my cars/homes first.

Hey pooda, I can't think of too many teams that can't be completed. There are several Avengers line-ups that can be done, the Fantastic Four, the core X-Men, the original Defenders, and even the Champions. The only one's I can think of that can't be done are the New Warriors and the expanded Defenders (Nighthawk, Hellcat and Valkyrie). That's not too bad.

Plus, you're more into DC than Marvel anyway. I'll bet you haven't given up too many of your DCUC figs. (If any). Speaking of which, I was recently considering selling off all of my DCUC figures (I have around 50 or so). Then I reconsidered, because I pretty much have every DC Character that I like, so why get rid of them? They don't take up that much space. I just probably won't buy any more, (except possibly Green Arrow). So my point is, just because I'm not going to get any new ones, doesn't automatically mean I need to get rid of what I already have.

what i mean by not being able to complete a team is that certain figures were produced in box sets that included figures that i had no use for. not that team members werent made, but they did leave some teams unfinished. other figures that i felt shouldve been produced never had a chance. take the ultimate xmen for instance, they only produced a few of them. true they were some in the xmc line, but i didnt feel like bouncing back and forth between the lines. they gave us one member of alpha flight, and short packed key characters. the red skull chase was probably the point where i started backing off, but there was nothing else good out there at the time, so.... as far as DCU figs go...nope. havent ever sold any of them....i have'em all. but it's not just dc that i keep. im a heavy anime collector. plus, i dont keep stuff unless i really like it. thats why i have all the spidey related figures. i like figures, so thats why i buy them, but unless they really intrest me....i dont care about keeping them.

1. Looks

2. Line Interaction

ohh yeah the elbow joints...or I HATE THE WAY HASBRO LIKES TO RAPE PEOPLE!!!

come on you want me to pay $10 bucks for some G.I Joe's? oh and about that have you seen the new movie line: about the same price as th MU may be 60 cents less, and they get way more. 3 guns 1 that is as big as the figure a Back pack and a stand base. come on at least pack a stand with a name so we can display the damn thing! My be they like sabitoshing Marvel so that way when the contract is up they can say "hey look marvel your lisnce did not do to good people lost intrest. That way Hasbro can get a cheaper contract next time.

That has stopped me from buying MU and switch from 6 inch to 3 3/4, that stupid hasbro not double elbow joint and the lack of detail in paint apps and articulation inconsistensy. Have u seen the quality in Bandai´s Dragon Ball Hybrid action figures?? I love em.

Sides, I already started 6 inch, why whould i start in a shorter scale. I think this post explains the reason why I haven´t bought MU figs.