Why are so many people selling their collections?

Ninjak

From what I've seen on the various threads here over time, especially the last few years since Hasbro took over the line, is that collectors who talk about how they are 'getting out' or selling their MLs, no longer are looking forward to 'new' MLs coming down the pike for their own various reasons. And built into our society, from cradle to grave, is to look to the future and look to consume- 'more stuff', 'new stuff.' Some here may take exception to that, but it's true. Americans don't like to admit they are conditioned so completely to consume and spend - it makes them feel and appear less in control of their impulses and more easily manipulated by marketers - but we are, it's a fact of our culture. It's so ingrained that some will post back to me that I'm full of cr@p and 'they're' not one of those people. But consciously or unconsciously, it plays a roll in many people getting out of collecting them. Once the anticipation of a new wave, or the thrill of having the latest figure in their hands is gone, the desire to keep them starts to fade... the chase is better than the catch.

I myself have been a Marvel reader and fan for decades and only collect ML figs. I've waited many, many years for someone to make decent three dimensional figures of the characters I love, to bring them to life - and no, 1970's Mego figs didn't cut it for me. So I don't plan to sell them and I am looking forward to seeing what Hasbro has in store.

And BTW, I am not discounting anyone who says some people are just plain old hurting for cash, that's very true too.

Truth. I too am a Marvel fan first. I've always loved Marvel Comic and still read the bulk of them today, so my ML's are my drop dead favorite line. I collect alot of other lines and have since childhood. GI Joe, Transformers, Star Wars, and they would all go first were I to have to sell any of my collection off.

I totally agree with the thrill of the hunt for most people. Using GI Joe as an example, in many of it's recent decade long incarnations I've noticed my interest come and go. Recently when everything shifted to Sigma Six, I just didn't care as mush about my Joes. But with this line I always knew there would be more of the 3 3/4 figs around the corner, but if it were in haitus for an extended period of time my interest would definately fade. Actually with these new movie figures replacing the 25th line, I'm already losing interest. I'm sure the same goes for ML with alot of people.

As far as needing cash, I totally understand. I sold alot of my vintage Star Wars and prized baseball cards for college back in the 90's. I hated it but it had to happen.

Here's hoping that Hasbro gets back on the ML wagon here at SDCC, and we see something that interests us all to draw us back to the line.

From what I've seen on the various threads here over time, especially the last few years since Hasbro took over the line, is that collectors who talk about how they are 'getting out' or selling their MLs, no longer are looking forward to 'new' MLs coming down the pike for their own various reasons. And built into our society, from cradle to grave, is to look to the future and look to consume- 'more stuff', 'new stuff.' Some here may take exception to that, but it's true. Americans don't like to admit they are conditioned so completely to consume and spend - it makes them feel and appear less in control of their impulses and more easily manipulated by marketers - but we are, it's a fact of our culture. It's so ingrained that some will post back to me that I'm full of cr@p and 'they're' not one of those people. But consciously or unconsciously, it plays a roll in many people getting out of collecting them. Once the anticipation of a new wave, or the thrill of having the latest figure in their hands is gone, the desire to keep them starts to fade... the chase is better than the catch.

I myself have been a Marvel reader and fan for decades and only collect ML figs. I've waited many, many years for someone to make decent three dimensional figures of the characters I love, to bring them to life - and no, 1970's Mego figs didn't cut it for me. So I don't plan to sell them and I am looking forward to seeing what Hasbro has in store.

And BTW, I am not discounting anyone who says some people are just plain old hurting for cash, that's very true too.

Truth. I too am a Marvel fan first. I've always loved Marvel Comic and still read the bulk of them today, so my ML's are my drop dead favorite line. I collect alot of other lines and have since childhood. GI Joe, Transformers, Star Wars, and they would all go first were I to have to sell any of my collection off.

I totally agree with the thrill of the hunt for most people. Using GI Joe as an example, in many of it's recent decade long incarnations I've noticed my interest come and go. Recently when everything shifted to Sigma Six, I just didn't care as mush about my Joes. But with this line I always knew there would be more of the 3 3/4 figs around the corner, but if it were in haitus for an extended period of time my interest would definately fade. Actually with these new movie figures replacing the 25th line, I'm already losing interest. I'm sure the same goes for ML with alot of people.

As far as needing cash, I totally understand. I sold alot of my vintage Star Wars and prized baseball cards for college back in the 90's. I hated it but it had to happen.

Here's hoping that Hasbro gets back on the ML wagon here at SDCC, and we see something that interests us all to draw us back to the line.

Here's hoping they're going to finally give us some six inch versions of figs we have asked for for years. I see some MU figs from The Con that ML Fans really want - Classic Ultron, Enchantress, Klaw, a couple of the Wrecking Crew guys... course, this could just be another marketing manipulation to get collectors to jump to the MU line - "the only way to get those great villians you always wanted is to go MU!" Let's hope not.

i blame marvel and hasbro for it. someone has to say it and it is the way i see it. sorry but marvel just saw dollar signs in the hasbro deal and thats it. hasbro trys to make money with lazy methods and thats why so many collectors are gone from the first place. i collect marvel since i can #$@# in my pants and i will never sell my collection. i realy understand if you need the money then you have no other choices. i dont have to tell all the problems everyone had because it had been discussed a hundred times, so i blame the companys for it, that the fans are loosing interest in just repainted figures.

If that's the case, why are people selling the older, better figures?

2 reasons

1) they never buyed the new ones

2)toybiz figs are better and so, more in demand. what other way to make fast money :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i am getting rid of mine i have had alot less trouble displaying my mu figs. plus the fact the mu figures look much cooler with the giant figures not to mention there joints are alot tighter.and yes they look cool displayed with my rise of cobra figures.i had always hoped they would do a gi joe sized set of marvel figures and my dreams came true.the 2 reasons i ever got in to mls was for the 1st couple of bafs and i thought this would be the only way to get figures of my fav characters.