ml vs mu

dragonman

The Hasbro reps do claim to read these boards. They have implemented changes following complaints we have voiced, such as getting rid of the new knee joint and adding more detailing and some paint washes. At SDCC, I would talk to the reps about things fans had said over night, pros and cons, following the new stuff being shown. Bitching here is like giving direct feedback to Hasbro so that they can incorporate our wants in their decision making.

So . . whine away!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hasbro reps do claim to read these boards. They have implemented changes following complaints we have voiced, such as getting rid of the new knee joint and adding more detailing and some paint washes. At SDCC, I would talk to the reps about things fans had said over night, pros and cons, following the new stuff being shown. Bitching here is like giving direct feedback to Hasbro so that they can incorporate our wants in their decision making.

So . . whine away!

well people here have been bitching for some time now.... but i still havent seen anything GOOD done yet to the ML line

Man, now I remember why I left this forum for a period of time. I'm SICK of whiny people constantly complaining about the lack of ML, and I'm also sick of the constant QQ when it comes to Marvel Universe. Don't like it? THEN DON'T FRICKIN' BUY IT! ML is coming back next year, and hopefully Hasbro will eventually be able to produce all those figures they showed at SDCC.

I do have one complaint about ML though: isn't anybody else here sick of seeing the Bullseye body being reused for everyone and their mother?

Then please, feel free to freakin go away again. Your on an ML forum. A lot of ML loyalists are pretty pissed right now. Hasbro basically bought an awesome line to kill it and transition it into another freakin G.I. Clone line. A lot of us aren't cool with that. There's a MU forum you can go to where you won't have to hear too much bitchin from us ML fans.

As far as MU goes, I'm cool with em. I like quite a few of em myself and they are actually getting better and better every wave. I just wish they could run both lines side by side just like Mattel is doing. They both seem to be profitable for them.

I suppose the biggest thing keeping me from going all in with MU is the price. I just can't justify it. Target prices, TRU prices, Walmarts rumored price cut; whatever the price, it's just too much. I'll splurge on a few at a time, but always with some sense of buyers remorse. Why is it that all the other companies don't seem to be plagued by the same material costs Hasbro is.

The good thing is ML is back. The bad thing is it is clearly being used to supplement the MU line. The whole reason for stopping for a year was to suck the ML starved fans into the MU loop, and then start producing ML again on a steady yet limited supply and make maximum profits from both lines. It's sound practice business wise, but pretty sh!tty ethics wise.

Hasbro has done nothing ToyBiz hasn't done. Hasbro has not killed ML whatsoever. I agree, at first Hasbro's incarnation of ML was less than perfect, but they were new and learning. They have now learned to add better detail, paint washes, and choose likeable characters based on what fans (YOU) ask for. They can't do everything everyone aqsks for. There is no way in any universe that Hasbro would sell figures just to see the line crash and burn. If they wanted ML to die, they would just cancel it. For all you idiots who keep complaining about the new ML prototypes, stop. Toybiz had way more prototypes than Hasbro did for each ML series. The only difference is: they never showed them to us. That's because they felt the figures were not adequate and didn't make the series. The fact that Hasbro is even choosing to let us pick which ML are going to be in a new series shows that they care about their customers. They want you to buy things. It makes them have money. There is no reason that ML and MU shouldn't coexist. If it were up to Hasbro, they would release all of the MLs and MUs whenever they wanted. But it's NOT. It is up to retailers what figures they buy, how much they buy, and what price to sell it at. NOT HASBRO.

Now, stop spamming and get to the point of the thread.

ML Pros: Detailed, poseable, big, but not too big, accessories and backgrounds, good characters

ML Cons: some figures are lacking in pant and sculpt, quite expensive now, BAFs are difficult to finish sometimes

MU Pros: likeable characters, good for kids, easy for customs

MU Cons: small, paintjob, sculpt

Well said. No company can jump into any property swinging, unless they had some sort of experience with that type of property before. MU is a good example of that. 3 3/4" is Hasbro's best thing, and the fact that they are continuing ML, and not only making characters we get to choose ( as well as some previously shown figures we've asked for) is pretty damn amazing.

Anyway, my Pros:

ML: Pretty much launched 6" scale figures, and brought super-articulation to toys in the states. Over 25 different series of figures have given us damn near every character from Marvel Comics (many times over in some cases). If this voting thing continues, it will do nothing more but fill in the gaps.

MU: Many companies are launching 3 3/4" lines now for cost reasons,a dn MU is easily one of the best. This is just the thing Hasbro is good at. Hell, look at GI Joe and Star Wars for further proof. As shown at SDCC, separate lines are starting to branch out which is good, that way we can get some good villains and supporting characters without completely flooding the main line. Also seen at SDCC, the smaller scales mean we can get larger characters without breaking either our's or Hasbro's bank.

My Cons:

ML: Some of the earlier figures need re-done. Badly. Now, while most of them have, others (notably Magneto, Toad, Ketch Ghost Rider, Gambit & Red Skull) haven't had figures in over 6 years. The industry has changed, molds are sharper, sculpts better, and paint more accurate. Hopefully with the two-packs some of these can be done. Also, is anyone else getting sick of the Bullseye body? They need to use a different mold.

MU: As demonstrated on this board, not everyone is into a smaller scale. We've already spent the money on all these characters for a 6" scale, why do it for another size? Also, how many effing Spider-Men are they going to release? I can understand getting one with red/blue and one with red/black, as well as the Symbiote suit. But more than that? Overkill, plain and simple.

I love the selection with the Legends line, but all the BAF's I'd want were released years ago and i can't find them now.

MU have great articulation, except Ronin and Hand Ninja, ball joint hips would've been better. They're made very well, except the new comic and 3 packs.

I'll def. have to buy both daredevils and punishers from the new legends line.

• 4 weeks later...

I read these forums all the time and I just had to create an account for this one. Are you guys serious about Marvel Universe? I mean are you honestly serious? These figures sell for more than Marvel Legends sold for in their prime. How can you honestly tell me that every time you fork out 8$ for a 3 inch figure that looks like something out of a McDonald's happy meal that you don't feel even slightly ripped off. It probably cost them less than a dollar to turn these figures out and you are going to pay 8$. It just is not reasonable to charge that much for a product that should be sold for 3$ or 4$. These figures aside from secret wars come with no comic books, they have basically no articulation in comparison to marvel legends, they don't come with dioramas, and they are outrageously overpriced. I don't believe you can sit here and tell me that you have no inkling as to why we may be even a little upset over this line. "Most" of the marvel legends figures can stand up on their own with almost statue quality poses. The marvel universe figures can barely stand. I don't know if you come from rich families and have absolutely no concept of the value of money, but I work hard for my money just as I am sure many of you do and I think we all know when something just simply is not worth it or when we are being ripped off or high balled and this I think we can all agree is inarguably one of those times.

Until MU sculpt quality approaches that of Eaglemoss' Marvel Classic figurines, I am not gonna be collecting these because it is a ripoff for mediocre sculpting. Movie Hulk is even better than that MU monstrosity! Classic and modern Iron Man has so far been lacking IMO, the others lack detail and QC issues for the retail price they charge. I'd pay these prices to see quality or bring back ML in its full glory!

I read these forums all the time and I just had to create an account for this one. Are you guys serious about Marvel Universe? I mean are you honestly serious? These figures sell for more than Marvel Legends sold for in their prime. How can you honestly tell me that every time you fork out 8$ for a 3 inch figure that looks like something out of a McDonald's happy meal that you don't feel even slightly ripped off. It probably cost them less than a dollar to turn these figures out and you are going to pay 8$. It just is not reasonable to charge that much for a product that should be sold for 3$ or 4$. These figures aside from secret wars come with no comic books, they have basically no articulation in comparison to marvel legends, they don't come with dioramas, and they are outrageously overpriced. I don't believe you can sit here and tell me that you have no inkling as to why we may be even a little upset over this line. "Most" of the marvel legends figures can stand up on their own with almost statue quality poses. The marvel universe figures can barely stand. I don't know if you come from rich families and have absolutely no concept of the value of money, but I work hard for my money just as I am sure many of you do and I think we all know when something just simply is not worth it or when we are being ripped off or high balled and this I think we can all agree is inarguably one of those times.

Not many figures on the shelves these days that don't cost 8 Dollars. You say they sell more then Marvel Legends in their prime but that was in the past. Now marvel Legends are 11 dollars a pop. Prices go up...it's a part of life.

How can you tell someone that something isn't worth their money? The Key word is THEIR MONEY. Just because you like or don't like something doesn't give you the right to tell someone else it's worth it or not worth it. If people feel that these figures are worth their money then why does it matter to you? You don't like them then don't buy them....it's as easy as that. Why even tell us about how hard you work for your money? You act as if people buying these figures has anything to do with you and your hard earned money.

I swear some of you people act like you HAVE TO BUY these figures and are mad because of that. You don't have to buy these figures, hell you don't even have to look in their general direction and you can keep your hard earned money. You know I hate Anime, I hate it with passion but I sure don't go and tell people that I work with they are idiots for wasting their money on buying it. It's none of my bussiness and even though I can't fathom why they would buy or watch it that isn't my concern. So you make an account to tell people they shouldn't waste their money on a product that you don't like...haha.

Also how do you know the Marvel Universe figures can't barely stand? Do you own any? If so then you are a hipocrite and if not then how can you give your opinion on something you don't even know or own? I have tons of Marvel Legends that won't stand, it's not just Universe figures.

By the way I work hard for my money also and I sure don't need someone telling me what is worth or not worth my money.....get real.

The price has not sold me. I went to Walmart and got the whole nemesis wave for 10 bucks a figure. MU figures go for 8 to 9 bucks a piece. In my opinion that is not a very good deal when you get much less of a figure. I'm leaning towards Marvel Selects right now they are 20 bucks a piece but at least you get high quality with them. ML and MU have been really disappointing to me.

I'm a huge fan of MU, and I'll freely admit that they're more expensive than I would like them to be. However, I'm a fan of the scale, and to have figures that can interact with my star wars, gi joe, and wwe build and brawl figures makes them all that much more awesome. The line itself is making steps to add more value with stands and accessories, and I think the fury files are underrated for their play value. I've gotten more out of those small plots than I did from an out of context comic book pack in.

I also have most Marvel Legends toys, and I think they're awesome, too. Sometimes I think they were over-articulated, but it was still a groundbreaking line of toys. I'm as sad as anybody that the production of the line has slowed to a standstill, and the few figures that are produced aren't readily available. It also makes me sad that the last contest winners were 2 figures that were already produced (widow and deadpool). I understand it, but I don't like it. I'd much rather have a Warpath or Madrox be one of the six Legends figures I get to buy in a year.

I don't see why one side of the equation has to gripe about the other, though. They're two separate lines with separate audiences. Live and let live, folks. :).

I recently bought a loose sabretooth & maskless wolverine loose on Ebay. I had a few unopened figs (which i recently returned) so I didn't really mind MU that much until i got that Wolverine! They feel sooo much smaller than they look I couldn't believe it! I absolutely do not like them anymore. At least not loose. The Sabretooth is cool though b/c he is one of my favorite characters.

Now I never said that I didn't own any Riddick. When the marvel universe figures first came out I bought the x-force wolverine because well I love wolverine. I wanted to like these figures I really did, I tried my hardest to like these figures because I love to collect and they are the only thing available right now at my local toy stores. I can understand Andorian that the marvel universe figures can fit in with other scales and that is I am sure a big reason as to why many of you are collecting them. I am just saying that as far as I see it they are way overpriced. If they sold for the same price as many of the gi-joes or star wars figures I would possibly consider picking up a couple more of them but as long as their price stays this high I am not going to even look twice at these figures. I am also trying to help you understand as to why many of us marvel legends collectors are not going to switch over to an inferior product that is overpriced.

Now I never said that I didn't own any Riddick. When the marvel universe figures first came out I bought the x-force wolverine because well I love wolverine. I wanted to like these figures I really did, I tried my hardest to like these figures because I love to collect and they are the only thing available right now at my local toy stores. I can understand Andorian that the marvel universe figures can fit in with other scales and that is I am sure a big reason as to why many of you are collecting them. I am just saying that as far as I see it they are way overpriced. If they sold for the same price as many of the gi-joes or star wars figures I would possibly consider picking up a couple more of them but as long as their price stays this high I am not going to even look twice at these figures. I am also trying to help you understand as to why many of us marvel legends collectors are not going to switch over to an inferior product that is overpriced.

don't worry about riddick, he's from tennessee and is just still bitter about the north winning the civil war. besides he's used to enjoying lower quality items like tennessee barbacue. I agree with you on most of your points except for buying more of these. way overpriced and way undersculpted.

don't worry about riddick, he's from tennessee and is just still bitter about the north winning the civil war. besides he's used to enjoying lower quality items like tennessee barbacue. I agree with you on most of your points except for buying more of these. way overpriced and way undersculpted.

LMAO! You didn't have to say the first two setences, LOL.

What kind of freaking statement is that? Are you one of those losers that are upsessed with the Civil War? Seriously was a war that happened 150 years ago supposed to be insulting to me? First of all I was born and raised in Michigan and me living here in Tennessee is none of your damn bussiness and should never be brought up to judge my character. I guess your one of those types that think all people that live in the South are rednecks as well? Get your head out of your ass and grow up.

Oh I just realized it was you Spardyman....that's ok. Your just pissed off at the schooling I done to your ass over at the Marvel Universe thread. All you did was create a name just to insult people over in the Universe forum....sad and pathetic.

I can't believe how many people are still butt-hurt about the Marvel Universe line's very existence.

I don't think Legends are completely dead, or completely played out, but they're pretty damn close. Retailers won't support the line without "core characters" and they've made damn near every version of Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Wolverine that they possibly could, and the other potential core characters dont' have that many different costumes (Captain America and Thor). Legends had a great run, but everything comes to an end sometime. I'll still buy many of them when they come out, but they're simply not my priority anymore.

Marvel Universe isn't perfect. There are things about the line that I don't like (lack of accessories for the price, some wonky sculpting, etc...) but if there's one thing Hasbro has absolutely proven itself capable of doing, it's improving over time. Look at Extremis Iron Man vs. Wave One Iron Man. Less than a year and they're already starting to have visible improvement.

Are they expensive? Sure. So is every other action figure with a shred of quality out there, and not just Hasbro's stuff either...DC Universe Classics from Mattel are jumping $2-$4 in price this year, for example.

Nobody has to like Marvel Universe. Nobody has to buy it, but when you start "blaming" people for buying it that's just idiotic. Here, I can turn it right back on the Marvel Legends fans:

It's your fault Marvel Legends died because you didn't buy enough of the Hasbro Marvel Legends for retailers to continue supporting it as a mass retail line.

Fair is fair, after all. A line has to be successful for a company to continue making it. Whether you liked the HMLs or not is irrelevant. If you're not going to support the product, then you risk the chance of it no longer being produced at all. The "if we buy it Hasbro will think we condone it" argument is rendered moot when the end result is not "Well if it doesn't sell then Hasbro will improve the product so it does!" but rather "if it doesn't sell Hasbro won't be able to improve it because retailers won't continue supporting the line."

Retail is a harsh business.

I agree that the new Extremis Iron Man is way better than the Wave One Iron Man. This is the exact reason I did not buy that first version. Because I know if Hasbro puts their mind to it, if they decide to really make good product and I will pay good bucks for it. So until a bigger and better Hulk comes along, I'm staying with that Movie Hulk I got some months back. Same with Spider-man or Daredevil, if they fix those small fists (SM) and way oversized thighs (DD) and giraffe neck (SM) I'd get the next ones too. Great work on figures will be rewarded, mediocre ones will be ignored and criticized.

• 2 weeks later...

I like MU better because the scale makes them so much easier to display. Who has room for 100's of 6in figures? I don't. I had to sell my Legends collection a long time ago due to having no room for them all. I'd have about 20 displayed and the rest were in drawers. I love this line because I can display them better in my confined enviornment. You could have a few displays in your room with MU figures and not have them take over the room. Anyone who has 100's of 6in figures dominating their bedroom is pretty creepy IMO. :rolleyes:

ML Pros:

-Decent character selection

-BAF was a revolution in toy making

-Found a good balance between quality sculpts and quality articulation

ML Cons:

-Some figures were of the poorest quality (Scarlet Witch, Ultron, etc.) and the line became incredibly inconsistent after Wave 12

-When the BAF came out, both Hasbro and Toy Biz started filling the slots with waste of space figures like 1st appearance Thing and Spider-Man

-The line was collected by bunch of crybaby brats who bitched to no end about all the problems this line had but never, EVER, stopped buying them and showed no appreciation for a line that had no business lasting as long as it has.

MU Pros:

-Scale fits in with other toy lines that, believe it or not, other people collect

-Easier to find

-Reasonable amount of articulation for figures of their size (I realize that it's not a good figure unless it has 87.2 points of articulation but you can only do so much)

MU Cons:

-Price point (if any of you can actually prove that Wal-Mart and the other brick and mortars are price gouging feel free to enlighten us, otherwise shut up)

-Smaller scale means more likely to damage

-Some face sculpts are questionable

A few other things:

-This topic was started by a guy who clearly wanted to bash Marvel Universe but masked it as a debate between MU and Marvel Legends. Nice try. What's the word you keep using? "Retarded?" Something like that.

-Marvel Legends produced, off the top of my head, 25 waves of figures, multiple two-packs, multi-packs, exclusive figures and variants without the help of a television show or a movie tie-in. You should be happier than a pig in s*** that the line lasted this long and that Hasbro is even discussing the continuation of this line.

-I've been collecting toys for almost 20 years now and any of you who think Marvel Legends is the greatest toy line ever need a reality check. G.I. Joe, the modern Star Wars line, Transformers, Super Powers (which practically invented the superhero action figure) and plenty more are way ahead of ML. No toy line is perfect, but you all act like ML is God's gift to mankind. Need I remind you about all the terrible figure's that came out once Toy Biz announced they were losing the license? Or how about all the figures you cursed to Hell once Hasbro picked up the license yet still bought and proudly displayed on your shelves?

-And this is the best part: All you ML fans better get over the fact that MU is going to blow the so-called greatest toy line ever away with it's growing number of characters and improving quality. How will it taste when all the MU collectors have the Wrecking Crew, a modern Luke Cage, a decent Magneto, a Winter Soldier, a decent Fantastic Four that match, an in-scale Galactus and so on? Will you just spew your jealous hate? Or will you accept the fact that the so-called greatest toy line ever had a great, great run and you're moving on with your life?

Quit your bitching and get over it. The retailers want smaller stuff to put on the pegs, meaning more product for people to buy, meaning more money. The MU stuff is moving pretty well so as of right now it's been a good business decision and with the stuff that debuted at SDCC it looks like it's just going to get better.