so no more BAFs....

DennisW22

i was talking to one of the hasbro reps at SDCC, and asked about waves of figures for the MLs. he said as of now they wont be happening for awhile.

he first said that the reason its going to take a year to get the new 2 packs(the voted ones) is because they want to put a end of the BAF era, so their hoping to knock off that interest with no new products for a little bit, then hype ML's back up with the new 2 packs, he said this era of ML's is all about the 2 packs.

i then asked him about just the regular wave format, and he just responded with, 'not going to be happening for awhile, we want to see how these 2 packs will do, and really we won't be planning for another wave for a year or two'

thoughts?

for me i want new products, but i don't really care if their in wave form or not, i'm kinda glad their killing the BAF, now i won't be encouraged to buy a whole set of figures for a certain character i might want, and i won't have a bunch of arms and legs just sitting around.

hahahahaha just as i said no new for the next until 2011. damn i am good. this line would not be boring if the right figures would have been made. thanks hasbro for ruining it. as if in 2 to 3 years peaple still will be interested. wake up peaple and smell that hasbro dont wanna continue with it. they are a 3 3/4 insh company and thats what it is. i am ok with a 3insh line because hasbro is doing well with it but i dont start again. i think i will take some sculpting lessons and do some myself. i can paint but i can not sculpt. damn even a lot of peaple said that the legends wont survive the 5 year contract with hasbro and look at where we are.

So no more build a figs means no more big characters done. *sigh* It seems that Hasbro is hell bent on killing the ML line.

Only if you don't count MU Galactus, MU Goliath, and MU Giant Skrull. Then, yeah, no more big figures.

But yes, if they are giving up the BAF (which again gets people to buy figs they might not otherwise buy) then they are ramping down the line.

So no more build a figs means no more big characters done. *sigh* It seems that Hasbro is hell bent on killing the ML line.

Only if you don't count MU Galactus, MU Goliath, and MU Giant Skrull. Then, yeah, no more big figures.

But yes, if they are giving up the BAF (which again gets people to buy figs they might not otherwise buy) then they are ramping down the line.

They should at least kill legends and get it over with. They could call the two packs: MARVEL TEAM-UPS, and MARVEL FOES,or ENIMIES

As far as the MU giant figs, its better than buying a bunch of crap figures just to get one figure. I only kept Cross Bones and Ares from the last wave. had to scalp the rest.

They should at least kill legends and get it over with. They could call the two packs: MARVEL TEAM-UPS, and MARVEL FOES,or ENIMIES

As far as the MU giant figs, its better than buying a bunch of crap figures just to get one figure. I only kept Cross Bones and Ares from the last wave. had to scalp the rest.

Why? Why should they kill it to get it over with? If you don't like Legends, then why do you care if Hasbro keeps it going?

Why? Why should they kill it to get it over with? If you don't like Legends, then why do you care if Hasbro keeps it going?

Are you blined did you not see the hasbro line up for next year?? lots of stuff coming... Marvel Legends?? Two Packs? come on I like marvel just as much as the next guy but Legends are no more. they tried it and it failed or on purpose... mybe? the quality sucked the prices sucked. they did this so they could make a profit but any ways lets spend ten bucks on some starwars and g.i.joes. Hasbro will not take a loss for the sake of some collectors. its all about profit, and 3 in. figures make ten bucks each. the plastic it takes to make a 6" could make about 3 or 4 Mu figures you do the math.The truth hurts but some one has to say it.

Are you blined did you not see the hasbro line up for next year?? lots of stuff coming... Marvel Legends?? Two Packs? come on I like marvel just as much as the next guy but Legends are no more. they tried it and it failed or on purpose... mybe? the quality sucked the prices sucked. they did this so they could make a profit but any ways lets spend ten bucks on some starwars and g.i.joes. Hasbro will not take a loss for the sake of some collectors. its all about profit, and 3 in. figures make ten bucks each. the plastic it takes to make a 6" could make about 3 or 4 Mu figures you do the math.The truth hurts but some one has to say it.

Unless you work for Hasbro, I have to wonder why you WANT them to kill the line. Makes no sense if you claim to like Legends.

also for the quality/crappy paint complaints the guy i talked to did say that from now on the quality of the prototypes is the standard, he said because of the scaling back it would allow for way better paint apps and way more detail(though he wouldn't talk about making new parts rather than just reusing whatever looked like it fit, but im guessing then are still going to reuse pieces from seeing the Dr.Doom arm on the Horror,Inc. figure).

so it seems like ya were getting way less quantity wise, but it does sound like they are trying to give us more quality wise.

I agree. I am so tired of MU fans coming to the Marvel Legends board, OUR board, and bashing them and praising the MU line. I don't mind people talking great about the MU line b/c it is starting to look really good but do it on the MU boards and don't bash Marvel Legends in their own board. You are out numbered here. Annnnyyyyyways, sorry for the rant. On to what i wanted to say...

I don't really mind no more BAF's. There are some pros to this. One: we don't have to buy entire waves and figs we don't want to get an awesome figure. Two: Hasbro is starting to make giant figures in the MU line that are already assembled. It will cost way less (like 50% less!) to just buy that figure rather than 6-10 to build one. That giant Skrull and Goliath will go great with Marvel Legends! Three: Marvel Select is making bigger figures now that are the same size if not bigger than most of Hasbro's BAF's (The Thing, Abomination, Sabretooth, Anti-Venom & Thor are all bigger than Annihilus, Brood Queen, Blob (maybe), Ronan, Rulk & Nemesis. Shoot they are also bigger than MODOK, Mojo & Onslaught.). So no BAF's for a while or forever really isn't a bad thing.

Exactly what I was thinking.

People, you need to start separating 'BAFs' from 'large/giant' figures going forward. The Giant Battles figs in the MU line so far seem really cool and will fit well with our MLs if you so choose - (2) Goliaths, Giant Skrull Invader, and now a 19" Galactus. This is looking good.

Besides, not ever BAF was a large/giant figure... Brood Queen, Ronan, Ares, etc. were smaller than some figs that were within Waves.

The BAF concept was a good idea in encouraging the collectors to buy all the figures in the wave. It's still a sound game plan assuming all the figures are somewhat well done and interesting. DCUC still does very well with the BAF (or CAC) concept and others are actually adopting it.

Make no mistake, Hasbro's problem was in poor quality and bad execution, not the declining interest of the BAF concept. A lot of us are fine and some are even happy that it went away, but I guarantee if they brought it back and they brought back quality and character line ups on par with waves 3 thru 13 of the TB series, they would sell well. I never saw so many ML rotting on the shelves until Hasbro took over.

They were way to ambitious and ill prepared to provide a product of the quality that ML loyalists had been accustomed to at that time and they still are, Jesse Falcon or no Jesse Falcon. That's why Hasbro will never be able to make the BAF work for them.

As for the larger figs, I think Hasbro is content to have Marvel Select do them for the time being. I assume since TB was part owner of the MS line Hasbro purchased their part of MS with the Marvel license as well. Plus it looks like the "Giant" figures they are producing now are going to be running anywhere between 12" - 18" and will look equally well with MU or ML.

Not really excited with that Giant Man or Giant Skrull. Why, because those f#@!ers look like slender sissies. Look at the pictures and comic books. They should have been buffed up (thicker) and beefier!! And their tiny fragile hands, look tiny. Even Crossbones had about as big and wide biceps as these two supposedly giant behemoths. Wrong use of base body (Cyclops). They should have resculpted the upper torso from ICONS Wolverine or Thor. Better yet they could have instead released new sculpts like Dragon Man or the Super Adaptoid and they would have looked better. Even Galactus would have been better (I meant the BAF not the short legged midget they're now bandying out).

MU suffers from the same scales issues they have with ML. Wolverine is a tall dude. Punisher is downright ugly and misproportioned. Ironman looks wonky with that helmet and anorexic (same with classic one). The Extremis version looks better though. Even classic Thor sculpt looks very amateurish. Have they seen the Super Hero Showdown version?? The Hand Ninja is taller than most figures (these should be average sized Asian dudes). Warpath looks small, or is it because he is posed with the tall Hand ninjas? Spiderman's head sits so high and has a tiny fist. Iron Fist looks taller than most characters?? Silver Surfer's bug eyes bother me (they work better with Yellowjacket or the Hydra goons). The Hulk . . . don't get me started on the HULK. I prefer a downscaled version of the Movie Hulk's sculpt. The Thing is not as good as the SHS Thing. Johnny Storm is among the tallest of normal sized figure group along with that Hand Ninja and the Iron Fist. And they are supposedly 5' 10" (shorter than most super heroes). Daredevil in comparison is a shorty with the stubby legs and steroid thighs. The SHS version has better proportions. These figures need a lot of work in my opinion. The only figure I have from the line is Black Panther (I wish he had ball hips) and W XO figures Deadpool and TS Wolverine which pay attention to their proper scaling and sculpt to resemble their comic counterparts. The only plus I see with this new scale is they now go well with some of the previous BAFs (ToyBiz ones like Mojo).

Bottom line is Hasbro's marketing team is down right stupid. Mattel has been successful with 6" figures & C&C concepts, yet Hasbro whines they can't be. Hasbro vs Mattel and Mattel owns them. Also if you really want a nice indicator of how well Hasbro is doing with Either MU or ML, check for this little tid bit. What presentation and booth did the rep from Walmart go to? Answer: Mattel DCUC. He was suppossedly so excited and overwhelmed by response. Just makes me laugh even harder at the noobs handling Hasbro brand products. Sucks for us that those gus are now running our beloved products into the ground.

well , the only hasblow BAF that had any size to it was fin fang foom and we had to pay $15 a figure x 8 for it. all the others where just large legends. i mean crossbones is as big as ares. i'm so over hasblow and their excuses for why the ML line is declining. i'll buy the nemisis wave and the 2-packs for the shield agents, hand ninjas and the kree and skrull. i won't be keeping the classic ironman (maybe the stark head). not sure about the stealth variant . just depends if i actually see it or not. as far as the "giant" MU figures, they look ok. i'll probably pick up the goliath and get rid of the little IM that comes with him. i agree that the MU line is improving, but i will never buy them. i have no interest in small figures.

Yeah it's true, no more BAF figures doesn't mean no more Big figures, but let's compare Sentinel, Galactus and Apocalypse to the MU Skrull, Giant Man and that overgrown LEGO version of Galactus, paint and articulation doesn't compare. I understand the positive of not having to buy all the figures to get a character after all I have Ultimate War-Machine just to complete Ares but let's not forget that while those MU big figures might and I emphasize might go with ML we'll be getting a MU figure that I for one could care less for and I know I'm not alone in this and that doesn't work for a lot of us. This also seems like a lame attempt on Hasbro's part to get us to support a line that some of us have made it pretty clear we won't collect. Hasbro took the BAF and comic pack concept and put it in to the star wars line and that says a lot about this situation. I already bought a whole wave of star wars figures just so I could complete an astromech but that's another topic entirely.

Yeah it's true, no more BAF figures doesn't mean no more Big figures, but let's compare Sentinel, Galactus and Apocalypse to the MU Skrull, Giant Man and that overgrown LEGO version of Galactus, paint and articulation doesn't compare. I understand the positive of not having to buy all the figures to get a character after all I have Ultimate War-Machine just to complete Ares but let's not forget that while those MU big figures might and I emphasize might go with ML we'll be getting a MU figure that I for one could care less for and I know I'm not alone in this and that doesn't work for a lot of us. This also seems like a lame attempt on Hasbro's part to get us to support a line that some of us have made it pretty clear we won't collect. Hasbro took the BAF and comic pack concept and put it in to the star wars line and that says a lot about this situation. I already bought a whole wave of star wars figures just so I could complete an astromech but that's another topic entirely.

You can just sell the little figs on ebay & recoup a couple bucks from your purchase!

You can just sell the little figs on ebay & recoup a couple bucks from your purchase!

Not in my area. Around here MU sells about as well as anywhere else I assume, but they stock the living sh1t out of them. I can go into any of the stores and get whichever one I'm looking for (seriously). If it ain't at Target, I walk across the street to Walmart then to TRU and so on. I half believe the only reason they even started running ML again was to supplement income to keep MU going. Half of every wave are just re-releases from previous waves. They don't even do that with Star Wars or G.I. Joe very often. They're just sitting on the shelves every time I go to the store. They can't be making money on them. Looks like they are content to ride this wagon till the wheels fall off. Maybe then they'll finally realize ML is where the profits are. At least until the next big Marvel movie comes out.

true

Not in my area. Around here MU sells about as well as anywhere else I assume, but they stock the living sh1t out of them. I can go into any of the stores and get whichever one I'm looking for (seriously). If it ain't at Target, I walk across the street to Walmart then to TRU and so on. I half believe the only reason they even started running ML again was to supplement income to keep MU going. Half of every wave are just re-releases from previous waves. They don't even do that with Star Wars or G.I. Joe very often. They're just sitting on the shelves every time I go to the store. They can't be making money on them. Looks like they are content to ride this wagon till the wheels fall off. Maybe then they'll finally realize ML is where the profits are. At least until the next big Marvel movie comes out.

Also true, I was kind of interested in the Skrull/Nu Cap pack so I could have more skrulls but I kind of liked the fact that in toybiz days they took a big figure broke it down in pieces and they paid extra attention and detail to a specific piece like painting, articulation, etc. but now we're getting an icon figure repainted, resculpted. Sorry for the rant I should just accept the fact that the baf is gone, and with it my chances of seen a High Evolutionary, Yellowjacket and Atlas in tall form; and I should just move on. But on the other hand maybe hasbro will read this and release those figures in the MU line :biggrin: