Late to the party- Rulk spidey is a disaster

OptimalTucker

I'm a student and haven't been able to pickup waves in a LONG time but the 2 packs got me reinterested. So I tracked down the Rulk wave.

WTF is up with Rulk spidey? I've seen lots of complaints about hasbro, but nothing about this? Who is this a repaint of? And why in this wave? And we have approx. a gross of spidey sculpts to choose from and yet this comes our way?!?! Why not a SMC12 repaint since its so universally regarded?

Spideys waist doesnt match his torso! theres gaps everywhere! none of the swivel cuts match! Blue shadding?!?! Why? So many characters need a decent wash, but I would be perfectly happy with shiney black plastic spidey! The wash just ends at parts. Like wash on thighs and feet but next to none on calfs. I feel like I almost have a frankin fig of left over factory parts.

And I actually really like this wave. Spiral is an amazing figure. Rulks a decent BAF...would love some hand articulation...and he needs to be able to look up. But decent. Union Jack barely stands, but I like him still. Silver Savage...is excellent, but not a character I adore. And Wolvie is an excellent TB that I already purchased a couple or dozen times(thanks hasbro!) But at least I got the black varient for a good price. So now I have Black wolverine, Blue and yellow, Orange, Astonishing, Weapon X, AOA(and varient), First appearance, Blue jeans on bike, etc. I've bought every damn version...please move on to new characters. (I bet we get a shaved head crew cut wolverine with the Terror, Inc fig...and a patch version...A Snikt manga wolverine to go with Lady Bullseye... and add an animated version(or 6) and we'll have every version I've ever seen in 20 years of comic reading)

Adam Warlock though! LOVE HIM. I always liked the character. But the paint apps are excellent. Joint work is mostly good and unobtrusive; exception being the calf cuts...seems like wasted artculation and are a bit obtrusive. Infinity Gauntlet looks awesome. Adam stands on his own out of package with cape (try saying that about TB Strange.)

So much excellence in this wave...but Spidey is like the redheaded bastard stepchild orphan. And this coming from a guy that started collecting with the pre-ML Spider-man classics. Where did he come from?

I'm a student and haven't been able to pickup waves in a LONG time but the 2 packs got me reinterested. So I tracked down the Rulk wave.

WTF is up with Rulk spidey? I've seen lots of complaints about hasbro, but nothing about this? Who is this a repaint of? And why in this wave? And we have approx. a gross of spidey sculpts to choose from and yet this comes our way?!?! Why not a SMC12 repaint since its so universally regarded?

Spideys waist doesnt match his torso! theres gaps everywhere! none of the swivel cuts match! Blue shadding?!?! Why? So many characters need a decent wash, but I would be perfectly happy with shiney black plastic spidey! The wash just ends at parts. Like wash on thighs and feet but next to none on calfs. I feel like I almost have a frankin fig of left over factory parts.

And I actually really like this wave. Spiral is an amazing figure. Rulks a decent BAF...would love some hand articulation...and he needs to be able to look up. But decent. Union Jack barely stands, but I like him still. Silver Savage...is excellent, but not a character I adore. And Wolvie is an excellent TB that I already purchased a couple or dozen times(thanks hasbro!) But at least I got the black varient for a good price. So now I have Black wolverine, Blue and yellow, Orange, Astonishing, Weapon X, AOA(and varient), First appearance, Blue jeans on bike, etc. I've bought every damn version...please move on to new characters. (I bet we get a shaved head crew cut wolverine with the Terror, Inc fig...and a patch version...A Snikt manga wolverine to go with Lady Bullseye... and add an animated version(or 6) and we'll have every version I've ever seen in 20 years of comic reading)

Adam Warlock though! LOVE HIM. I always liked the character. But the paint apps are excellent. Joint work is mostly good and unobtrusive; exception being the calf cuts...seems like wasted artculation and are a bit obtrusive. Infinity Gauntlet looks awesome. Adam stands on his own out of package with cape (try saying that about TB Strange.)

So much excellence in this wave...but Spidey is like the redheaded bastard stepchild orphan. And this coming from a guy that started collecting with the pre-ML Spider-man classics. Where did he come from?

This wave is the best wave Hasbro has put out. every character is decent they did a better job on the paints. The spider man body is the same as union Jack and silver surfer. THREE characters in the same exact wave using the exact same body? They are nice scultps but a little skinny, the heads and feet are kind of small. the should have put ankle joints so spidy could have posed better. Rulk should have been a little taller. I noticed i have more figures in this Hasbro wave than i do in any other hasbro wave.

I love that Spidey figure. I think you may have gotten ahold of a factory mishap or something. I think the sculpt is great and the blue shading on mine is very consistent and clean. He does have SOME same body parts as Union Jack, but with a few differences (feet, hands, etc.). Silver Surfer is a completely different sculpt altogether. The sculpt used for Spidey actually originated back with the TB Bullseye, but it's been dumbed down more and more with every recast. Red Hulk was a great wave, I think. Especially Spidey.

[quote

This wave is the best wave Hasbro has put out. every character is decent they did a better job on the paints. The spider man body is the same as union Jack and silver surfer. THREE characters in the same exact wave using the exact same body? They are nice scultps but a little skinny, the heads and feet are kind of small. the should have put ankle joints so spidy could have posed better. Rulk should have been a little taller. I noticed i have more figures in this Hasbro wave than i do in any other hasbro wave.

Silver Savage is a retooling. But Spidey lacks there belts. So his "ledge butt" is much more glaring. In contrast look at Patriot from Young avengers his waist swivle is cut BELOW his sculpt belt. It looks great. Spidey is in desperate need of not having that glaring cut. and the wash really cheapens his look. Also Union Jack has no calf cuts. Spidey's calf musculature and wash with those cuts won't match any way you turn them.

The only problem I had with this wave was Adam Warlock having the wrong skin and hair color. You think they could have figured it out pretty easily judging by the card art -

PackagedAdamWarlock.jpg

I mean the correct skin tone only appears 5 friggin' times on the package!

Anyway... not a big gripe, but just so damn annoying.

:hulk:

Ha that is soooo true; I guess Captain Obvious doesn't work for Hasbro. Couple of other things I don't like about him are his stupid knees and the fact that you can't switch out the Gauntlet with a regular hand. Sheesh I have waaaay more problems with this guy than the black Spidey! He is a perfect stand in for Dark Avengers Venom!

post-24058-1251497181_thumb.jpgpost-24058-1251497230_thumb.jpg

These are ugly ugly issues. Five minutes in any basic art class would correct these. I pulled these images from the "figures in action thread" ...my fig is exactly the same. Every SMC black spidey is more aesthetically pleasing then this train-wreck figure. I would love to see examples of figures you think worse and why?

post-24058-1251497181_thumb.jpgpost-24058-1251497230_thumb.jpg

These are ugly ugly issues. Five minutes in any basic art class would correct these. I pulled these images from the "figures in action thread" ...my fig is exactly the same. Every SMC black spidey is more aesthetically pleasing then this train-wreck figure. I would love to see examples of figures you think worse and why?

I second the pose and camera flash. I just got mine out and looked at him, the ass thing doesn't look nearly that bad on the actual figure. I think that is a very bad angle for a close up shot that makes it look worse than it really is.

As for the shadow thing, that's because the source of light is too bright, so of course the blue highlights look way too contrasted with the black. Either the person taking the picture had the flash on and took the show way the hell too close, or spidey is swinging under a halogen lamp. I will say the blue highlights aren't for everyone though. They do tend to show through with a flash.

Best black Spidey ever, sorry, just is(even better once you add Yellojacket lower arms/legs for the added ankle/toe artic and the fist) the SMC ones don't even really come close.

And they did repaint the McFarlane Spidey in red and black/dark blue in the SM line.

Do you have pics of the one with yellowjacket parts?

Here ya go.

BSpidey1.jpg

BSpidey2.jpg

BSpidey3.jpg

The black isn't a perfect match but its close, same for my blue dry brushing that i did on those parts, but overall close enough for me(in the pics they look like perfect matches though go figure heh)

The only problem I had with this wave was Adam Warlock having the wrong skin and hair color. You think they could have figured it out pretty easily judging by the card art -

PackagedAdamWarlock.jpg

I mean the correct skin tone only appears 5 friggin' times on the package!

Anyway... not a big gripe, but just so damn annoying.

:hulk:

Yeah that bugged me too. So, I did a repaint to more accurately match his comic look.

3143342978_02cc1b3c79_o.jpg

Also, the Spidey from this wave is definitely the best black suit Spider-Man ever. I have three of them. I love his head sculpt and the blue highlights on him. I thought the head on the old SMC black suit Spidey was funny looking, and the all black costume with no paint wash was boring and flat.

The only thing I didn't like about the new one is he couldn't make a fist of any kind. So, I took one from an Ares Wave Scarlet Spider and painted it and switched it out on one of my figures.

3079474416_f8f088d0d3_o.jpg