What if Mattel made Legends?

billmaru

I've noticed that the DC crowd has less complaints about their figures compared to us Marvel heads. I myself own a good amount of the DCUC line as well. The customs I have seen (and made) seem to apply themselves well to the generic DC bodies. I wanted to get Marvel fans' input on the question "what if Mattel made Marvel Legends"?

I really hate the DCUC t-crotch! So I wouldn't like them as much. I might still get some to leave in the package though.

I mean Mattel's DCUC figures still are better than Hasbro's ML figures. I'll take the t-crotch over Hasbro's knees any day.

I do have a bunch of DCUC figures, but they are all staying in the package.

I have 2 or more of every Toybiz ML figure, 1 loose and 1 MOC.

If mattel made marvel legends we would probably be getting marvel legends. That is probably the biggest complaint i've heard of. if mattel can do a successful 6" action figure line and hasbro can't that should tell you something about hasbro.

Yeah that Hasbro makes cheaper products and charges the crap out of them so they come out on top, making huge profites. So that should tell you something about Us the consumer. oh while DCUC is a PASSIBLE product I would not want all my marvel characters with huge man boobs and deformed sholders, super huge also.

the hips/crotch and the same body mold are lame, but the way mattel is getting new waves of the DCUs out would be refreshing to see that in the Marvel world

Mattel doesn't use the same mold much more than Hasbro does.

I can't see any argument that would make me believe Hasbro's ball joint hips are better than Mattel's tcrotch...other than articulation, but the articulation is THAT much better to overcome the much more realistic look Mattel has.

just go and check the custom section. look what a lot of people do with the dcuc bodys. just check jins latest magneto figure on a dcuc body. thats what figures should look now a days and going back in time and dcip articulations and skip nice details and skip nice painting and ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the list goes on and on. i would love mattel to take on it. damn they even do figs of robotman and killermoth. hasbro doesnt even comes to puma and chameleon.

the hips/crotch and the same body mold are lame, but the way mattel is getting new waves of the DCUs out would be refreshing to see that in the Marvel world

I can't see any argument that would make me believe Hasbro's ball joint hips are better than Mattel's tcrotch...other than articulation, but the articulation is THAT much better to overcome the much more realistic look Mattel has.

they are only realistic looking as long as you don't try to pose them at all.

go ahead and try to put a leg out to the side and it looks like the dumbest thing ever.

they are only realistic looking as long as you don't try to pose them at all.

go ahead and try to put a leg out to the side and it looks like the dumbest thing ever.

I could make an equally ridiculous argument that balls in the hips looks like the dumbest thing ever...in every pose.

While some characters would work somewhat OK in the DCUC style(some Jim Lee designs and MAYBE some Kirby stuff) the hips are by far worse looking then a good set of ball hips.

Most characters would be huge(again fitting for some Jim Lee stuff) and the smaller characters would likely look wacky compared to the rest.

As for better paint? Wouldn't really be much of a trade off, sure pretty much all the skin tones would be painted but other wise they seem about equal to Hasbro's better stuff.

As for DCUC's overall articulation its not much if any better then HMLs overall, the knees and elbows hardly(if at all) have any better up/down range then most elbrows or hasknees these days, you still got the ab crunch + waist swivel(which is good) but even the HML figures that have upper torso ball joints are ok in place of that, HML's also mostly have pivot wrists which is a plus, also they have the anlke joint that swivels, DCUC has no swivel below the knee which hurts(DCUC does however have the rocker joint on the ankles which are nice, hasbro needs to go back to that and make ankles like the ones on the GR movie figs the norm) the shoulder joints are actually worse but better as well, they can hold something with both hands in front of them but thats really the only up side to them.

True mattel would be more constant with releases, but for how long?

the basic buck on a DCUC body works well with many characters, but not all.

I would have loved to see Nova or Black Bolt in that style.

heck, I still might try my hand at customizing my Black Bolt with a black suit Supes body.

And I believe as far as movement goes, the DCUC legs work better than most Hasbro figs, but not as good as Toy Biz.

But that is just my opinion.

But i give credit to Mattel, the figs are hard to find for most, but at least they push for what collectors want.

You would think Hasbro, the #2 toy company, would follow that idea.

They do it with Star Wars and GI Joe, so why not with Marvel?

Marvel characters are too distinctive to roll with Mattel's 2 base body type system. That's what makes Marvel figures a bit tougher, but that's what makes Marvel better.

There are at least 4 body bases I can think of off the top of my head (for male characters). There's the one used for Robin and Beast Boy. The one used for characters in suits like Two-Face. The one used for thinish characters (Sinestro's), and then the one used for the rest (Superman, Batman, etc).

They also have some that are unique (Man-bat). And of course at least one for females (which for the most part they do WAY better than Hasbro has).

They do a good job molding extra stuff on those body bases to distinguish them. Moreso with the later waves.

Add to that the fact that Mattel is not only putting out more figs than Hasbro at 6", they are putting out b and c level characters. Not every wave has two or three a listers. Some have no a listers.

Mattel is doing a fantastic job with the WWE line that's set to debut.

Fwiw, I'm a huge marvel fan. I collect nearly every 616 book plus a couple ult titles. I probably have more than 5x as many MLs as DC figs.

I actually like Hasbro's well done females better then DCUC's fems, heck even TB's well done females(yeah not very many there huh...)

Sure they have the fuglies like Emma, Skrull Elektra and X3 Jean, but then they also have beauts like Elektra, Rachel, Maria, Sharon, Savage She Hulk, Shanna, Domino, heck that newer Invis Girl's head looks pretty nice.

Now don't get me wrong, DCUC ladies aren't fuglies at all(except for maybe the first release DCSH Supergirl, she's pretty meh looking) FH's female faces just seem a lot like one another, i mean you can see the character in them but still overall they look like they could be the same chick with different make-up/hair styles.

As for the bodies, the DCUC style artc doesn't really help the females, less range on the hips cause of the need for them to look nicer on the females, and the thigh cuts look bad on them(not so much on the males i admit)

Marvel characters are too distinctive to roll with Mattel's 2 base body type system. That's what makes Marvel figures a bit tougher, but that's what makes Marvel better.

There are at least 4 body bases I can think of off the top of my head (for male characters). There's the one used for Robin and Beast Boy. The one used for characters in suits like Two-Face. The one used for thinish characters (Sinestro's), and then the one used for the rest (Superman, Batman, etc).

They also have some that are unique (Man-bat). And of course at least one for females (which for the most part they do WAY better than Hasbro has).

dont forget the question body, deadman body, and the gentleman ghost body. mattel uses 8-9 bodies, not 2. the only marvel characters that wouldnt work would be the extra flexible ones.

dont forget the question body, deadman body, and the gentleman ghost body. mattel uses 8-9 bodies, not 2. the only marvel characters that wouldnt work would be the extra flexible ones.

I figured the Question and GG used the same basic body as Two Face. I woulnd't know for sure since I don't have them in hand...grrr....

I had forgotten about the taller slim figure like Deadman.

Agreed about flexible characters like Spidey. They are still doable, but just won't be as flexible as they would be with ball joints in the hips.