Must Haves for a Beginner Customizer

Skywaarp

Hi....so I'm really inspired by all the great customs I have seen on this site. I would like to try my hand at customizing some of my MU figures into new characters that I would like to see.

If I just want to try my hand at this and not incur too great an expense (in case I suck at it), what materials do I absolutely need to get? And how to use them?

And....if I do end up enjoying this and getting good at it, what are some addtional materials I might try afterward? And how to use them?

Wow lots of choices. Lets say I wanted some basic colors (or a paint set very MU appropriate) which would you suggest? There aren't any pictures so that adds to my uncertainty.

I see the second set has putty...I guess if I wanted to mold Scarlet Witch's Tiara thingy, I would use this? What is that Aluminum paint thing? And probably a dumb question, but these are paintable right?

Thanks man, I really appreciate the help. I'd like to make a Scarlet With down the line, but I'd probably start with someone less difficult like Firelord.

Wow lots of choices. Lets say I wanted some basic colors (or a paint set very MU appropriate) which would you suggest? There aren't any pictures so that adds to my uncertainty.

I see the second set has putty...I guess if I wanted to mold Scarlet Witch's Tiara thingy, I would use this? What is that Aluminum paint thing? And probably a dumb question, but these are paintable right?

Thanks man, I really appreciate the help. I'd like to make a Scarlet With down the line, but I'd probably start with someone less difficult like Firelord.

Here is the paint colors.

P3-color-swatches-1.jpg

I suggest getting a box set or two with the colors you need in it. I don't know about an Aluminum paint thing. Yes they are paintable but wash them first with a detergent to remove mold release left by companies.

Everything I sent you, you would use. The green stuff for sculpting and the paint for....painting. i would not have posted it if you could not use it.

as far as paints go, I use testors acryl or testors model master acryl. When I got started I found a set of those paints that contained all the basic colors you need (red, orang, yellow, green, blue, white, black) and some extras (silver and gold). You do need varying shades and values of colors, but you can do a lot with just the basics as well. The set also had some brushes with it, but I ended up getting a different set of brushes with a smaller brush size. Also, there are some good tutorials for beginners on here and on some other sites. Read up on those, try things out and see what styles and designs work best for you. Just remember that it takes practice and it should be fun. If you find yourself getting frustrated with a custom, take a break and get your mind off of it. Best advice I can give :)

Another couple tools you really might want to get is a good cordless drill, and a Dremel. Believe me it will very very quickly become your favorite tool espeacially if you have the EZ Lock mandrel. Break, or use up a cutting disc, and just pop it off, and pop a new one on. I usually just use the Folk Art Acrylics from Walmart for painting, and as for brushes the softer the better. I have 25 pc Loew Cornell Brush Value Pack from Walmart. Allot about customizing is trial and error so don't get discouraged, and accept that we criticize to help you get better. I learned allot from tip more experienced customizers told me back in '04 when I first started customizing Transformers.

Another couple tools you really might want to get is a good cordless drill, and a Dremel. Believe me it will very very quickly become your favorite tool espeacially if you have the EZ Lock mandrel. Break, or use up a cutting disc, and just pop it off, and pop a new one on. I usually just use the Folk Art Acrylics from Walmart for painting, and as for brushes the softer the better. I have 25 pc Loew Cornell Brush Value Pack from Walmart. Allot about customizing is trial and error so don't get discouraged, and accept that we criticize to help you get better. I learned allot from tip more experienced customizers told me back in '04 when I first started customizing Transformers.

Good call Rod!

Also, be prepared to blow alot of money right away. I paint pewter miniatures and the absolute most expensive part was buying my first thing of paints. Once you have them, there's very little upkeep. Also, I like my Citadel brushes quite alot. When working in small spaces, I have also found that you not only want a thin brush, but a brush with short bristles. This way, you get the thin line, but the bristles are still firm.

I really suggest that you get better quality than just basic. If you materials are better, then you usually can get a better result even if you aren't the best painter/sculptor/whatever.