Testors model master or testor

thor333us

Everyone says best is testors model master for customs so is the regular testors no good? I think walmart sells the regular one. I'm thinking about starting some customs.

I know about aves apoxy sculpt (aves fixit even better)and good brushes just need info on the cheapest scratch proof kind, all these moving parts on the figures.

How about Tamiya paints a little cheaper any problems for anyone with this.

*Edit

Nevermind I'm just going to get model master and tamiya. The initial cost of paints and parts is surprising.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Testors model master Acrylics are the safest kind of paints to use for soft plastics. NEVER use enamels on soft plastics, only hard ABS plastics like Transformers. You can paint the hard chest and waist of a Marvel Legends with enamel but that's it, so why bother with them.

Testors Model Master Acryls have the best paint-straight-on-plastic durability I've found so far. They rarely need primer, (only for lighter colors on a dark plastic so you don't waste 20 coats of yellow trying to cover something dark blue or black) and have the largest range of colors. 97% of my paints consist of these.

Games Workshop paints are also great paints but almost always need a primer to stick to plastic, otherwise they scratch off. So a basecoat of testors whatever and GW over that is great. Their Lich Purple is the best purple to mix shades with and get all your Magneto/Sentinel colors. Great color selection. Also their metallics are the best and easiest to use out there, great for drybrushing. 2Z% of my paints are GW, the metallics and purple, that's it. Maybe red if I ever run out of Testors Blood Red.

Tamiya. Meh, some people swear by them, others like me avoid them unless necessary. ALL Tamiya paints have to be thinned down from the jar immediately otherwise you have a thick, gloppy coat. And you can't thin them with water, you have to use 91% alcohol or their brand of thinner. However they are water washup, weird. Their clear colors are out of this world however, way better than testors. You can make all sorts of metallic colors/effects by painting over GW Mithril silver. Their clear blue over GW Boltgun metal makes for a great Stealth Iron Man look. 1% of my paints consist of just Tamiya clears, orange/green/blue/red/yellow.

i havent even seen games workshop. im gonna try to find em for the metals now though.

tamiya is a strange paint, but i do a lot of canvas painting so thinning out paint is pretty normal for me. i think mostly i hate testors bottles, (but i love a lot of their colors). the cardboard thing on under the cap always gets really messy for me and frustrating.

id say im 80% tamiya

and 20% testors at this point.

I didn't know that about tamiya needing thinned. I thought they were pre thinned and one time when I added water (the free thinner) to one it got kinda weird.

I have noticed model master seems more scratch proof and if you use a small round tip brush each jar lasts a long time since larger brushes seem to absorb so much paint and waste it. I used scalehobbyist to order, the best prices I found anywhere.

• 4 months later...