help with customizing

thedevilsdue06

I need some advice on how to make sure i get clean lines. I'm great with a pencil. I can't use a brush to save my life. Specifically i need to make very thin lines on a figure. So far it isnt working out for me too well. I've used the thinest brush i can find and still it seems to be blotting or gathering in spots. Trying to customise is becoming frustrating for me. (But it still passes the time.)

if it's still blotting or whatnot you may have too much paint on the brush, also you could try resting one or more of your fingers on a flat surface when you paint. Imagine some yuppie drinking tea with their pinky finger out and you'll understand what I mean. This will give your hand some stability. When you go to paint the line, try to complete the stroke in one motion using your whole arm instead of just your wrist. By making the motion with your whole arm you allow for more stability as well due to the hand's tendency to shake. I don't know if this will help you, but they're just some tricks an old art teacher of mine told me once, they work for me though. :) Oh and work light and fast. It doesn't matter if your line is solid the first time as you want to build up thin layers of paint anyway to allow for smooth application and even distribution of color.

Or going with what Rod said, you could pick up a paint pen. they make them in acrylic, so you should have no issue with the paints being different. They have varying tips.

WM sells them in the craft section and most hobby places have them. specially if they have models.

That's true I hadn't thought of that. The reason I like using Sharpies for some of my work is that the ink actually dyes the plastic.

I have used a pen to draw my out line. Then go over the edges with a sharpie and then over that with a paint pen (if i have the right color). Then fill in the lines beyond that.

Right now I am on limited funds so its just the basic paint method. Anything REAL then and mallable can be sued to make your edges (styrene sheets or if you have laminated paper).

A friend told me that he uses string to get his straight lines. He dips part of the string in paint then pulls it across the figure to get the line.

make sure you use a thinner with your paint, and make sure its a model acrylic type of paint.

as darthonyx suggested, i also prefer a longer thin brush that has a good amount of flex to it.

and as sagejdg suggested, resting or putting pressure on your pinky is a great idea. it makes your hand a lot more stable, i do this while im tattooing to get a nice straight outline.