The Great Debate

marvelfan69

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which scale is the ideal for collecting, and why?

• 1:18 (3.75")
    • 1:12 (6")

Wow, at the time of my vote, 50% even...

I collect 3.75, smaller, compatible with joes, SW, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Tron...

I also remind playing with 'joes as a kid, and that counts.

I also have not much of a space and 3.75 are a lot more manageable to me.

I'm almost exclusive in this: the only six incher I thought about buying was a Mr Manhattan that I did not buy due to its very bad articulation (for a XXIst century six incher)

I have to admit that my "compatibility issue" is not without defects: you can have a "real" Kirk, Buffy Vampire Slayer and Peter Petrelli in 6 inches, and I'd like to in my 3.75'' collection, but I cannot.

Good bye!

i collect both. or lets say if star wars and others were in 6 insh, then the 3 3/4 insh would be history for me. sorry but 3 3/4 figure are most of the time weirdly sculpted. hands,feeds and such to big or the neck id to long and all. when i look at some 6 insh figure like ml, dcuc, motuc, neca, i can just watch at my 3 3/4 figures and make fun of them. sorry but try to compare the great mcfarlane spiderman with any 3 3/4 figure made of spiderman. i never found a superior sculpt with the 3 3/4 figures.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a fairly respectable collection in both scales, and I've got to lean towards 3.75 inches.

1) Space--Ironically, I can have more detailed and full displays with the smaller scale figures. I never even thought about army building the six inch figures, but at the small scale, it just seems more feasible.

2) Cost--with most 6 inch figures costing 15+ and most 3.75 around 7.50-8, I can get more characters for my cash.

3) Character Selection--I think there's a wider variety of characters available at the smaller scale. I love Joes, I'm down with Star Wars, and neither of those lines are available at the six inch scale. As far as DC goes, I really wish DCIH didn't suck so much, but I have a bunch of those figures. Finally, where it matters--Marvel--In two years, my MU collection is just as big if not bigger than the entire TB ML run. I'm getting characters I've waited years to see, and I couldn't be happier.

4) Customization--I've been customizing small scale figures every since I was six years old replacing O-rings in my Joes. I feel like there are more raw materials available, and I'm more comfortable customizing at the small scale.

As much as everyone talks about the sculpts, I think a lot of six inch figures actually reveal more limitations in sculpts due to their size or articulation. Think of all of those ridiculously articulated Toy Biz Marvel Legends, or any DC figure kicking to the side. It's just jarring sometimes. It's a personal preference thing, and I can understand/respect the other side. For reasons I can't adequately explain, I prefer the small scale articulation.

It all boils down to personal preference in the end. In a perfect world, fans of each scale would be able to get the characters they want.

6" all the way baby. I mostly collect figures to use in my action figure comics, so for me it's all about articulation and attention to detail. And I find that 6" figures achieve both of those things better in almost every instance.

I own a few 3 3/4" MU figures and they just feel so flimsy and cheap to me. I will admit that some of them look pretty good (like modern Thor) and they even have some decent poseability, but not nearly as good as Legends or even DCUC.

IMHO 6" is the perfect scale for superhero action figures. It's like Goldilocks and the 3 bears... 3/34 " figures are too small and 12" figures are too big, but 6" figures are just right.