Sign in to follow this  
Clam

IMPORTANT: READ THIS BEFORE YOU TRADE WITH ANYONE!

well... after that entire waffles/Modok trade thing went down, I have learned that I wasn't supposed to help out there. I wasn't supposed to do anything. The policy here is that we don't get involved in any way, shape, or form. If you make any trades here, you are on your own entirely. We cannot help you, cannot give you any information, cannot contact the person you are having trouble with... nothing.

WE DO NOT GET INVOLVED.

So, with that in mind... here are some important tips/guidelines for trading.

- Check for trader feedback. It would be nice if everybody could be trusted, but that is not the case. So it is important for you to try to trade with people that have made successful trades with other members here. Check the feedback forum and see if people have posted positive feedback about your trading partner before trading. - Now, just because somebody has some feedback, they could still very well screw you over. Also, people could create multiple usernames and give themselves false positive feedback... so don't put too much stock into the feedback system. It's nice to see somebody has some good feedback, but it is in no way a surefire system to make sure you have a good trading partner.

- ALWAYS use tracking numbers. Make sure to ask your trading partner to give you a tracking number when they send your package, and ALSO get a tracking number when you send a package to somebody else. You want to be able to prove that they sent a package to you, and that you sent a package to them. It is extra helpful/important to use an electronic postal service that will keep a record of the actual address you sent your package to on the receipt. If you use USPS.com to buy postage, it will give you discounted shipping rates and free delivery confirmation. This will also give you a receipt that shows your destination address so that nobody can claim you sent the package to the wrong address. - However, a tracking number will not prove what was sent. Also, as I said, if somebody gives you a tracking number, it will only show the zipcode/city that they sent to, unless they have the aforementioned electronic/internet postage receipt. So I could send a package to the wrong address in your town, give you the tracking number, and you would think that I just gave you proof that I sent you your package. We have even just seen members give false tracking numbers, or tracking numbers from previous deals. Make sure to actually check these tracking numbers ASAP. Tracking numbers are helpful, but they are not a fullproof system against scamming.

- Start SMALL - Don't make a big trade and send off a bunch of valuable stuff if you are not certain that your trading partner can be trusted! If you are unsure, keep the value of your trade low so that if you are scammed, you won't lose out too much.

- Be active on the forums - the absolute best way to make sure that you don't get scammed is to trade with people you know or people that are well known. If you are active on the forums, you will not only get to know people better and figure out who you can trade with, but people will be more willing to trade with you. You will learn that somebody who has been here for a while and has made a home here is very unlikely to scam on somebody. It simply isn't worth it. If you are new, look for trading partners with a high post count. Don't be fooled by a member that joined a long time ago but hasn't posted too much. This kind of member shows that they don't have much invested here. In our most recent dilemma, the suspected scammer joined 2 years ago but only made about 125 posts in that time.. that wouldn't make me think they have much to lose by scamming people.

- Don't be afraid to ask - If you are making a trade with somebody you don't know very well, don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask for pictures of the items they say they are going to send you, ask for a tracking number, ask for references of who they have made trades with, ask other members that have been here for a while if they know this person, ask them to send first.. whatever... don't get scammed because you are embarassed, shy, or worried about hurting somebody's feelings.

But again.. the bottom line is there is no sure fire way to make sure you don't get scammed.. (well, I mean I would never get scammed because I always ask people to send first, cuz if you don't trust me, you don't belong here, lol)... be careful, be vigilante, and remember that you are taking a risk when you trade... and as I said before, it has been pointed out that WE CANNOT and WILL NOT help you in any way. Sorry

if anybody else has any helpful tips, please post them

Good stuff, clam. For new people, I would suggest not trading at all until you've been here a while and know who's-who. In lieu of that, newer posters or those with no feedback should send first w/delivery # of course. If both traders are relatively new then they should give each other more info about who they are on eBay, Facebook, other toy forums, etc.

Good stuff, clam. For new people, I would suggest not trading at all until you've been here a while and know who's-who. In lieu of that, newer posters or those with no feedback should send first w/delivery # of course. If both traders are relatively new then they should give each other more info about who they are on eBay, Facebook, other toy forums, etc.

I wouldn't put too much stock into new posters send first theory, just because you are new to the site, does not make you new to internet transactions. IMO, this just makes it easier for "tenured" posters to scam new guys. You do make a VERY good point in finding out what your trading partners facebook (epically this one), ebay, etc is.

I would always stick to these three rules;

A. Ship with signature confirmation and INSURANCE!!! I can't stress this enough, the difference between signature conf and delivery conf is HUGE.

-Delivery conf just confirms that the package was delivered to the address that you a. wrote down or b. that auto populated on the paypal packing label. But the package will still be left on the front porch with the rest of your mail.

-Signature Conformation makes sure the package is put in the hands of someone who lives at said delivery address. It's really hard for someone to screw you over with this form of conformation.

B. The person who receives first should put down a deposit for the estimated secondary market value of the figures. That deposit should be held until figs are received by both parties.

C. GET THE CELL PHONE NUMBER OF THE PERSON YOUR SWAPPING WITH! This makes it hard for the person to dodge you, if they try to scam you. If they give you the cold shoulder/changer their number after the swap then just let them be. At the end of the day if a person is willing to go through all that to gain a couple of figs so be it.

D. Make sure the figure will be packaged properly, outside of being scammed a broken figure can cause just a much drama.

E. Insurance, it's cheap and the benefits drastically outweigh the cost. Always make sure you do for secondary market. Just make sure to keep it reasonable, as the figures retail for $7.99, it will be hard to have a claims adjuster believe it's worth 2-5 times that value. If you can keep it realistic as possible this increases your chances of having the item valued @ secondary prices and not retail.

- ALWAYS use tracking numbers. Make sure to ask your trading partner to give you a tracking number when they send your package, and ALSO get a tracking number when you send a package to somebody else. You want to be able to prove that they sent a package to you, and that you sent a package to them. It is extra helpful/important to use an electronic postal service that will keep a record of the actual address you sent your package to on the receipt. If you use USPS.com to buy postage, it will give you discounted shipping rates and free delivery confirmation. This will also give you a receipt that shows your destination address so that nobody can claim you sent the package to the wrong address. - However, a tracking number will not prove what was sent. Also, as I said, if somebody gives you a tracking number, it will only show the zipcode/city that they sent to, unless they have the aforementioned electronic/internet postage receipt. So I could send a package to the wrong address in your town, give you the tracking number, and you would think that I just gave you proof that I sent you your package. We have even just seen members give false tracking numbers, or tracking numbers from previous deals. Make sure to actually check these tracking numbers ASAP. Tracking numbers are helpful, but they are not a fullproof system against scamming.

Great thread with very useful info, thanks!

Am confused though about how "internet postage" actually works with USPS. Tried Googling it, but came up with third-party websites. Understand you need to enter the shipping info online rather than going into the post office. Could someone point me to where you do this on the USPS site and in a nutshell explain the process? Thanks!

Also while we're at it, if anyone has tips on the best way to send carded figures in the States that'd be great. Happy to use USPS, just wondering if there's a particular service of theirs that offers the best cost/benefits. Also if they sell any particularly good size boxes for say MU figures. Hope this isn't unrelated, just figure it's good info for anyone thinking of trading. If any of this covered in another thread somewhere, a link would be great.

Another thing I would like to point out, is to find out the process/cost to ship OUTSIDE the USA before to 100% confirm the deal, I have been lately in a position where my trade partner told me, "If i knew before how expensive and complicated was to ship to Mexico (whatever that means) I would pass the deal, I move forward just because you send the figures first" There was even somebody that wants to charge me for the box