Having issues with paint

rollanotherbluntt

So, I'm new to customizing, but I already really enjoy it. the trouble is, there's some things I haven't learned just yet. Lemme just tell you my problem. So, I'm working on a G I Joe flint custom, and I finished painting all the pieces to my liking. So now it comes time to spray it with sealant to keep all my hard work from rubbing off when I assemble the sucker. Thing is, I'm vactioning in europe, and had to leave my acrylic sealant at home, cuz ya cant bring a spray can on a plane. So I picked up a different brand here to use, from a games workshop since it was the only hobby shop I could find. The guy didnt speak a whole lot of english, but he assured me this was what I wanted. It's Citadel brand "Purity Seal." So I went on to spray most of my pieces with it. It dried an hour later, and it came out all gray and frosted!!! what the hell?!?! I went back to the guy and he just laughed at me and said no refunds, even though I was asking him for advice on how to fix it. He said to try hot water, then ignored me. Ass. so I tried soaking it in water, and its done nothing.

Sorry, thats a really long explanation with little information. The point is, I sprayed my painted Joe pieces with Citadel brand "Purity Seal" as its called. They came out looking primer gray and frosted, and I cant seem to wash it off. What should I do? Did I over spray it and thats why it looks this way? Is this the wrong kind of sealant? Can I remove it? Should I just paint over it, if I can? Please help me out with some advice, I was totally psyched to be finishing my first custom, and now I'm totally bummed out. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

-rolla

• 2 months later...

I don't see anyone helping with this and you probably won't be checking again; but frankly the only thing I know to do is wait outside that shop until he leaves and see which car is his. next day, while he's at work, you spray it all over his car and then see what he does to clean it up.lol

Okay, so I have no experience with this stuff and don't know how you can fix it. But I know I'd have a hard time NOT getting arrested if the guy were that big of an ass to me. Good luck fixing your Joe and keeping your temper.

Finding out what kind of clear coat it is would help. Acrylics are usually not too hard to scrub off. While you'll scrub off your paint too it'll get rid of the "clear coat".

If it is enamel clear coat though you'll want to use rubbing alcohol, or nail polish remover. Again your paint will come off too, but you'll be rid of the "clear coat".

• 1 month later...