Marvel Legends Display

spang2005

I recently moved into a new place and am looking for ideas on how to set up and display my 6" figures.

First, about my collection: I have almost every marvel legends figure, toy biz and hasbro, baf, box sets, etc, plus all the x-men from the classics line and all the villains from the spider-man classics line. Needless to say, it's a lot of figures and space is currently an issue.

At my old place, I had them arranged by team, ie Avengers, xmen, f4, champions, alpha/omega flight, invaders, defenders,1st appearances, etc..

I'm thinking of going a character-based route, though, as in all cap and cap-related figures together, all the spider-man characters together, etc, but then where would random guys like hawkeye, tigra, vision, black knight, and such go?

What I'm looking for are suggestions and ideas on how to put together a good display. What do you do? Anyone know any sites with pics and ideas? My goal is to get them set up and then share pics on here, but I don't even know where to start.

Thanks!

Hawkeye random?lol I've always put Hawkeye with Cap since they're buds. Unless I have him on one of my Maisto motorcycles.

It really depends upon what you like best about them. Some figures like IM kind of lend themselves to a character based approach. I mean who hasn't wanted to set up a "Hall of Armor" right? I've kind of done a little Cap "shrine" myself once, but that was in my office at USF. But at home, mostly I like things in some kind of action and interaction. So I've got most of my Xmen fighting my BAF Sentinel (until I get the MU one at least) and my extra BAF Sentinel parts are in there as defeated Sentinels.

I have another setup that is basically figures that I thought looked good on bikes. I've got Union Jack on a nice red,white, and blue bike; Black Widow of course on a black cycle; and my gray costume Black Widow I have on a nice red bike. The others in that section are DC figs I think.

Then I've also done some "dream team" set ups. I did an Avengers team that had a smart hulk from one of the hulk lines, with Beetle from the Spidey lines and the rest were Legends figures like Cap, Hawkeye, SpiderWoman (forgot which one). Oh, and I think I had American Dream in that one too.lol What can I say? I like the idea of Beetle/Mach 4,000 being a good guy.

Then over the door to the closet I have my three Ghost Riders from the Legends line (no "phasing" alternate unfortunately) all facing off with Blackheart.

I've got Spidey facing a bunch of his villains in another section.

So, as far as I'm concerned, you don't have to have an overriding theme for the entire room. Do what feels right for each character or figure. And feel free to change things up when you want the teams different or want to focus attention on a particular character.

If you'd like some picture ideas though, look in the Figures in Action folder under the 3.75 forum. Just a few pages back someone showed their entire action figure room and it's freaking awesome. They've got city dioramas for some and others just together in teams, but it looks like a museum almost.

Well it's difficult for me to advise not knowing how much of an issue space is. I have a computer room in my apt, and it had 3 main surfaces on it. Originally I had the tallest surface used for Avengers related characters, then the medium height surface displayed my X-Men related characters. The lowest height surface featured all villains. That was a 3-tiered unit, so I broke my Villains up by X-Men, Avengers, and more solo-hero/miscellaneous villains.

When the ML distribution started to dry up, I started collecting DC Universe Classics, so I started condensing my ML display. ALL heroes ended up on the highest surface, then DC heroes ended up on the medium height surface, then DC villains on my lowest, 3-tier surface.

So now that my ML display is severely condensed, I started by placing the A-listers on the front lines, and building teams around them, letting transitional characters link the teams. So left-to-right, my display starts with Captain America/Iron Man/Thor leading off the Avengers, with Fantastic Four next (as a transition from Avengers to stand-alone heroes), at the front next to the FF is Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, linking to Professor X and Cyclops who lead off the X-Men. At the rear of the center of the display are solo heroes like Hulk (closest to rear of Avengers display), Namor, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, (linking all Illuminati in the middle of the display, but only Iron Man is detached from that grouping), behind the Illuminati next to Hulk are Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Silver Surfer, Nova. Professor X, Cyclops, Phoenix, and Wolverine lead off the X-Men, and the X characters are all clustered randomly, since they've all been on each others' teams by now.

Avengers>FF>Illuminati/Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver/Solo heroes (at rear)>X-Characters

Here are some ideas I've had over the years.

This was my room just before I moved into the basement.

P1040339.jpg

The wall is only about 10' wide, the display is about 3' deep.

P1040340.jpg

P1040266.jpg

P1040253.jpg

The pictures are from Marvel poster magazines from the 90's

The logo's are from comics I've found in dollar bins.

You can do a lot with very little space, What all the figures are standing on are 3 drawer storage carts, you can buy them anywhere. It sucks if you have to get stuff out but if you play your cards right you won't have to very often.

Movie displays you can get anywhere if you work hard enough.

Across from the main display was my bed with about 3' of walking space in between.

The one side of the basement I could afford to renovate was originally made to house both my Star wars and Superhero collections after my wife moved in, I outgrew it in about a year.

P1000818.jpg

It then occurred to me that comics looked way cooler than pictures, Not sure why I'd never thought of this 18 years before that.

P1000770.jpg

P1000153.jpg

This is how the room basically looks now,

it took me a year to get it to this point once i made some decisions about the Star Wars stuff.

P1090533.jpg

P1090558.jpg

P1090557.jpg

You can do whatever you want it just depends on how much time you have. I am very fortunate that my Wife is so understanding.

You can get pictures or backdrops anywhere. Some of my best comic covers were from dollar bins, and the internet is a great place for backdrops and pictures.

It's really up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely like the idea of having the covers in the background, and it's an idea I've tossed around before. I really appreciate the suggestions and photo references. I'm finishing school this week and should have plenty of free time to get my set up done in the next week or two. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done.

Thanks!

I've put a lot of work into displaying my stuff over the years.

So what do you charge for admission and what hours are you open?lol

BTW, my wife has been looking over my shoulders at your pics and has informed me that I have alot of work to do. Apparently she sees this as a challenge.lol Sounds good to me!

Thanks!

I've put a lot of work into displaying my stuff over the years.

So what do you charge for admission and what hours are you open?lol

BTW, my wife has been looking over my shoulders at your pics and has informed me that I have alot of work to do. Apparently she sees this as a challenge.lol Sounds good to me!

Please don't let your wife contact mine, she might find out about my secret room. lol.

Anyways, it is a challenge but remember there is no rush, it's taken me a couple of years to settle into this one and get it the way I like it.

Treat it like moving into a new house don't expect to get it done overnight.

Like I said one of the biggest issues I had years ago was being able to store stuff and display stuff at the same time. Once that issue is solved it just sort of falls into place.

It is nice to decide ahead of time what your goals are, like are you going to have one shelf with 50 Spider man on it? Or a shelf with all the Spidey characters but no doubles.

The double thing is a great way to showcase how many of one character you own but the fun kind of ends there for me. I own most of the doubles of the core characters but i don't have anything to prove. I know how big my collection is.

I don't know if i said this before but stay away from woodgrain nothing looks worse than woodgrain shelves behind your collection, it doesn't take much todress them up.

Personally I prefer no doubles it seems to add some kind of continuity in my head, I often times say to myself this can't be because they wouldn't stand together in the comics. Black spidey and Red/ Blue spidey could never stand together,

I just finished my X-men shelves but am too embarrassed to show them off because one is crooked!

I'll get it done next week. I hope!

PS. No tours. Unless the price is right.

• 2 weeks later...