Is the Bucky Cap mold the new standard?

BuckyBarnesCap

It's hard to tell if something is the standard by only a few waves, but it looks like it's going to get some use. I can only compare it to the 3.75" version, which has less artic obv, but I prefer this body style the ball joints myself. I think Hasbro has been making some great progress, and I hope bodies like this become the standard (I reserve the right to change my opinion once I get the figure, lol).

It's hard to tell if something is the standard by only a few waves, but it looks like it's going to get some use. I can only compare it to the 3.75" version, which has less artic obv, but I prefer this body style the ball joints myself. I think Hasbro has been making some great progress, and I hope bodies like this become the standard (I reserve the right to change my opinion once I get the figure, lol).

But Archangel does seem to be using it right?

The more they reuse a mold, the more profitable they are.

Yeah, Archangel is definitely using the Bucky Body, which is great because of two things. One, it looks good and functions well (I presume), and two, it has no sculpted belt so it works great for characters like Archangel who don't have a belt!

Yeah....like for US Agent, they only sculpted the belt, upper gloves, and head. I really like this mold because it's a regular build and it also seems to have new articulation(thigh swivel). I hope they use it on many characters.

Imagine being a Sculptor and getting the "your services are no longer required" notice because they only need one or two molds.

Well, there job is only to sculpt the adds ons for specific characters like heads, gloves and that stuff. Other than that, I think they don't have to sculpt that many bodies.

Imagine being a Sculptor and getting the "your services are no longer required" notice because they only need one or two molds.

Well, there job is only to sculpt the adds ons for specific characters like heads, gloves and that stuff. Other than that, I think they don't have to sculpt that many bodies.

They used to. Before repaint and repack became so common their were new sculpts all the time. I doubt there is even a quarter of the people in the business of sculpting then there was even five years ago let alone ten years.

As bad as it is that people lose their jobs, that's the reality of the world we live in. I think product quality has gone up tremendously, and I prefer my figures anatomically correct and in scale with each other.

Yeah, that's my I'm so happy they are doing archangel in this body, cuz hes got muscles, unlike the MU spidey body.

I wasn't too worried about the genitalia.

But I looked through my legends figures recently and realized how much I miss them being made by artists who were always trying new and accomplishing (usually) better things. Even the worst figures were that way because they were experimenting.

I know that there are fans that love the cookie cutter figures we have now, I'm just not one of them. I admire the efficiency of doing everything as cheaply as possible for the most profit but am disappointed knowing that the only progress most will see is in cost cutting.

Shoulders won't change, wrists won't change hips won't change... and if a figure is too far off the generic mold then they have to get lucky to be made (or expect to greatly compromised).

I'm a dinosaur facing extinction though.

But I looked through my legends figures recently and realized how much I miss them being made by artists who were always trying new and accomplishing (usually) better things. Even the worst figures were that way because they were experimenting.

I know that there are fans that love the cookie cutter figures we have now, I'm just not one of them. I admire the efficiency of doing everything as cheaply as possible for the most profit but am disappointed knowing that the only progress most will see is in cost cutting.

Shoulders won't change, wrists won't change hips won't change... and if a figure is too far off the generic mold then they have to get lucky to be made (or expect to greatly compromised).

I get what your saying but even the old ToyBiz Legends reused pieces and bodies. Such as using the Series 1 Iron Man body for Series 3 Magneto and how many times was the Black Panther torso used on other figures (Wonderman and Sentry). Granted ToyBiz did not do it as extensively as Hasbro but they still did it. I don't mind seeing reuse of a good body and scuplters will still be sculpting heads, hands, etc. for figures because no two faces are the same and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

I get what your saying but even the old ToyBiz Legends reused pieces and bodies. Such as using the Series 1 Iron Man body for Series 3 Magneto and how many times was the Black Panther torso used on other figures (Wonderman and Sentry). Granted ToyBiz did not do it as extensively as Hasbro but they still did it. I don't mind seeing reuse of a good body and scuplters will still be sculpting heads, hands, etc. for figures because no two faces are the same and so on.

You're right, I completely agree.

I'm going to stick with my position of defending toy biz here though. Wonderman had the same body but he had a belt and a vehicle, Black Panther had a cape, different hands and feet etc... the sentry... he didn't really work.

I know you're right about re-use... but there was always something... I didn't get the Manthing figure until 3 years ago, and when I got it and when I opened it... It may be the most amazing figure I've ever seen and of a character that in many ways shouldn't have ever been made if going by popularity... but not only is his sculpt gorgeous but there are things done in his neck and shoulder joints that Could have been skipped and no one would notice. But they are there... and it's something only an artist or someone who loves what they are doing would include... I think those days are gone. and I think the market has changed to a point where if someone were to go to that extreme now they would be fired.

You're right, I completely agree.

I'm going to stick with my position of defending toy biz here though. Wonderman had the same body but he had a belt and a vehicle, Black Panther had a cape, different hands and feet etc... the sentry... he didn't really work.

I know you're right about re-use... but there was always something... I didn't get the Manthing figure until 3 years ago, and when I got it and when I opened it... It may be the most amazing figure I've ever seen and of a character that in many ways shouldn't have ever been made if going by popularity... but not only is his sculpt gorgeous but there are things done in his neck and shoulder joints that Could have been skipped and no one would notice. But they are there... and it's something only an artist or someone who loves what they are doing would include... I think those days are gone. and I think the market has changed to a point where if someone were to go to that extreme now they would be fired.

I hear what you're saying and I agree the old ToyBiz Legends were unique and I appreciated the experimentation but in the current economic climate I really don't mind seeing reuse of certain bodies. I think Hasbro has really stepped it up with scuplting of addtional features (heads, hands, boots, etc.) so I don't mind seeing reuse to save some money and keep the figures coming. As a side note, however, I absoutely hate the body used for Quicksilver, Yellow-Jacket, Nova and so on. I wish this specific body would be retired it sucks and I hate to see it on Daken and Spider-Man (especially Spider-Man it is way too bulky for the lean web-slinger). That note aside I don't mind see reuse if it is done well. Such as the Hulking body for Crossbones, Warpath, Wrecking Crew. The addition of newly sculpted vests and pieces can really make a new figure stand out and vary from the base frame. Additionally, look at what some customizers can do with pre-existing bodies with new paint apps the addition of new sculpted elements, that is art (most of the time). It may seem like a sell-out to reuse bodies but it saves the company money which in turn keeps the figures coming and saves us money. It could also help keep sculpters in work by coming up with new creative ways to turn the Punisher into Winter Soldier.