Still not willing to pay Hasbro's price

fadersdream

Am I the only one still not willing to pay? I pulled back when the price went from $8.00 to $13.00 and then to $15.00. Now the price is going to be $16.00 to $18.00 and no one seems to mind. Even more ridiculous outside the States and 2-packs are looking to be $30.00 to $40.00.

Is everyone else over the sticker shock or is this still too much?

I can't help but think this will just lead to low sales and Hasbro blaming the fans for not supporting the line.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The price tag is 14.99. I am willing to pay the price because I've missed the line. Sure, Hasbro had problems handling Legends the right way, but they are coming back better than ever. Even better than Toy Biz in my opinion. So the line is so much better now. Think about it I bet you won't be dissapointed.

I am afraid in today's market $14.99 is a low price for a 6" figure. $18-$20 seems to be more and more the standard. Its not just Hasbro its all toy companies.

From your posts I assume you feel Hasbro (who actually only suggests a price, its the retailer who actually sets them) is trying to rip u off by overpricing? I don't think that is the case, the cost of making the figures have gone up and if you want to collect these, its what your likely going to have to pay. I do agree that I think at some point (soon) regardless of whether the cost is justifiable or not, the price is going to be so high its no longer feasible. In other words at some point they are going to price themselves out of the market, but I don't think its because they are trying to rip you off, its because everything is becoming more expensive.

I understand what you mean as price is always a concern to me too. Here in Canada I will probably have to pay about 20-30 for each figure with shipping. It is a steep price but I think overall it's worth it. I have always been more adamant about the price of Marvel Universe figures over 6 inch figs. I don't mind paying 20-30 for a good 6 inch figure but I hate spending 12 bucks after tax on a MU figure. I won't be a completest with the new legends but will definitely get most of them. Wave 1 will prolly only get like 2 of them (hope and commander rogers) but waves 2 and 3 I will probably buy them all.

The price is what's going to keep away the casual buyer. That's what I think is going to hurt the return of ML. Plus, a lot of ML fans have large collections and pick and choose what to add instead of being completists. I will be shocked if the return lasts more than one year. Really, I don't see cool 6" figures that are out now flying off the pegs (Titanium Man I'm looking at you).

I think the price is high and I'm hoping to score most from HTS since then I'll only have to pay the price Hasbro sets as opposed to a retailer jacking it so they can turn a profit as well. I'm sure sales will be down from what they were but I hope Hasbro gets smart with that as opposed to canceling the line again. If Hasbro can supply what Legends fans demand then I think the line will do ok but if they don't well I think the line will be canceled for good. Hopefully Hasbro won't screw it up. I'm going to be much more picky about what I'm buying since I now have a family and work in education which is continuously getting cut, I'm only carrying a 3 credit teaching load next semester thanks to all the cuts to higher education. I really don't want the line to fail and I'm excited about the new Legends but I will not buy them all just to support the line because I still need to put food on the table.

i say it like this, the price is ok as long as i can afford it. the point where i support a line just for the heck of it is gone sadly. mattel, hasbro they all cry for support or the line is dead. you know there was a time i could afford more here and there but now it gets harder. i skipped a lot of lines lately because the price is just not worth it. i get what i need and really want. sure prices go up but my salary doesnt so.... 15 is ok for a 6insh figure with baf piece and other parts but 19 for dcuc with nothing more then the figure is just high if you ask me. thats why i pick and choose. like mattels wwe line,i was like yes i start again but 50usd for a rock figure on ebay just because its impossible to find? well forget it, i buy the one or the other but thats it. i keep my jakks figures.

I say if you see them buy them it will be a good investment regardless of how the line turns out. From what I saw the latest 2 packs flew off shelves so if Hasbro and the retailers pace themselves and stock about as much as they did with them I like my odds. I think the new Iron man 6", thor, and Captain are nice figures they seem to be to little to late. The movies passed and my thinking is that they didnt want their own 2 lines competing, 6" and MU. I paid the 17.99 for Titanium man at toys r us because I thought I would never se him again but now I see them pegwarming at target for 14.99. Walmarts are starting to get crymsin dynamo at $12.99 and loki and cap figs for $14.99. I will pay that but they seem to be moving slow. average person is not jumping at them.

Everything is relative, when the Toybiz figures were $7-10, a gallon of gas averaged $1-1.50 and a gallon of milk was under $2. Inflation hits everything because of Production and shipping costs. I don't mind paying a little more for a 6" scale figure that I will enjoy more In my collection.

/\

This....

price of distribution, gas and the fact we are in a recession as opposed to prices from a few years back.

This pricing was inevitable, more likely than not those old prices that are more late 90's pricing scale couldn't be profitably sustained in the current market place or Toybiz would/could probably continued making them and selling them and making record profits.

shoot comic issues run for about 5 bucks a issue last I checked,

it's the nature of a the collectors market right now.

But your right choose how you spend your money but understand the Wait till it's on clearance mentality or refusing to buy unless they eat razor thin profit margins also is the reason why there aren't many companies around making this stuff in huge numbers anymore.

The price is what's going to keep away the casual buyer. That's what I think is going to hurt the return of ML. Plus, a lot of ML fans have large collections and pick and choose what to add instead of being completists. I will be shocked if the return lasts more than one year. Really, I don't see cool 6" figures that are out now flying off the pegs (Titanium Man I'm looking at you).

This is my point. At this price I dont think the line will survive.

I know there are those who feel others need to pay up so the line will last long enough for them to get theirs.

Oh well, I have all but three of the legends figures from toy biz, so I'm okay.

The first wave is supposed to be out in January which probably means we could start seeing them as early as the end of December.

price matches quality.

with that said,

any word on when the f-you already know-ck First Wave is dropping? any thoughts where will be the best place for me top cop what i need, since im not from US and they dont sell ML's at stores here?

Honestly, when big H took over and double the price that was when I became a cherry picker for Legends. I'm not so much for MU (But they haven't had the chance to cover many of the characters). Buy the time the change over happened, Toy Biz had covered a vast majority of my wants anyway.

My view is I will always vote with my wallet, and if Hasbro brings the prices too high, I will act accordingly.

As for the arguemenst of you have to support, well you can do that, and if things turn sour anyway then what? All that energy and money was for naught.

Right now the going rate for this scale is right between 14.99 - 19.99 , at first it sounds disgusting but then you start to look at mu....which is 7.99 or so and it's not that far off. I ditched legends when I heard of the 3 3/4 scale launching combined with the brutal first few waves from hasbro. After selling off all of my MU I came across pictures of my old legends. They look soooooo much better and after reacquiring a few they feel and look a thousand times better.....and I'd pay the current asking prices as long as the quality is there.....I don't see the average retail price getting above 20. So, count me in!!! I'm back lol

I was always into the ML line, and I was really excited for the 6 inch DC figures when they first came out. Prices continued to go up while 4 inch figures started actually showing up in stores for me to buy. I hopped on the 4 inch scale and haven't picked up many 6 inch figures since.

The movie figures I've seen around me don't seem to move very quicky. Neither do the 4 inch figures at this point, either, but there was at least a time when they did. I don't think any of my local targets have reordered any Spider-man or Armored Iron Man figures since they got them in. Most stores around me aren't stocking the Thor and Cap 6 inchers.

I wish the ML line well, but if the hardcore fans who post on message boards aren't going to support it, the mass retailers don't seem to be supporting the scale, and the cheaper 4 inch lines just a few pegs down the aisle seemingly more attractive to parents--I don't know if I have a lot of faith in the success of the line.