Still not willing to pay Hasbro's price

fadersdream

Remember that the spider-man and Iron Man figures are legends figures. Many of them still re-using Legends Molds... and they are $10 to $13, the argument that the price MUST be this high is ridiculous.

That's the thing, most molds in those lines are re-uses. You're paying 2 dollars for new molds, build a figure parts, and more impressive packaging.

It's not that I don't think they're worth it compared to what MU figures cost and what other 6 inch figures cost, I just don't know how many folks will pay it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is different about the packaging?

Also, I think people will cherry pick. So expect a lot more wolverines, Iron Man's and Spider-man's.

I don't want people to come into these forumns angry that people aren't supporting the line, when $20.00 after tax isn't supporting the fans. If Hasbro is price matching against Mattel, which has repacked and re-purposed their entire catalog, then the fans are in trouble.

I've just bought an overpriced Captain America at Amazon.com, so I'm totally sure I will pay U$S 20 for this new Marvel Legends, because 1) I live in Uruguay, where is hard to find Marvel toys, 2) If a store here retails Marvel Legends (as they did with the first Hasbro waves, Spider-Man Classics, Spider-Man 3, Iron Man, Captain America, and Marvel Universe (both old and new) they wold price them very higher!

For me the price for the first couple waves was insulting and I was sure it would have to come down... then the hulk wave came out and it was 50% more expensive than the previous wave... then the Rulk wave was another dollar at which point the price had increased almost 3x from what it was when they first came out. Then the Ares wave was out for about a week and disappeared... and then after about a year and a half of hearing stories about seeing cases in warehouses in mexico the Nemesis/Holocaust wave finally arrived in stores.

The demand is simply not there. It's not because of the product but because it has been handled so poorly.

So poorly in fact that it was put on hiatus to artificially create demand for it and to distance the product from the contempt of former mismanagement and price increases.

Old Marketing strategy is people will make excuses FOR you if you wait long enough and if you have something they want.

And I'm just not willing to pretend these are in the same ball park.

IMG_5623__scaled_600.jpg

vs.

DSCN0365__scaled_600.jpg

DSCN4071__scaled_600.jpg

vs.

DSCN1243__scaled_600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
For me the price for the first couple waves was insulting and I was sure it would have to come down... then the hulk wave came out and it was 50% more expensive than the previous wave... then the Rulk wave was another dollar at which point the price had increased almost 3x from what it was when they first came out. Then the Ares wave was out for about a week and disappeared... and then after about a year and a half of hearing stories about seeing cases in warehouses in mexico the Nemesis/Holocaust wave finally arrived in stores.

Sorry I'm late to the conversation, but I agree with fadersdream's viewpoints. The price increase of these lines ML & DCUC have driven away fans, and not just casual ones. Members on these boards tend to be the most vocal fans, but there are other fans out there whose voices are not always represented. These fans will not necessarily complain on message boards, but they will stop buying out of protest (which I have done). I collected ML from the days of Toybiz and have every legend figure minus a few variants. In my heyday I collected both loose and MOC, so I've spent quite a bit of money over the years. I also collected DC Superheroes and the first 13 waves of DCUC (also loose and moc) until the price drove me away.

When I started out, DC Superheroes was about $9-$10, which I was more than willing to pay. Only 4 or 5 years later, the price had jumped to $16-18 dollars. Not only did the price of the line increase, but the amount of figures you had to buy to complete the build a figure also increased! Now where I live (NYC) the price of DCUC and Green Lantern Classics is often $21 a figure. That is beyond insane. Prices at Toysrus and Target (there is no Walmart in NYC) are so high that the local comicbook stores are usually less expensive, which would have been unheard of 5 years ago. I frequently hear fans justify the price of these figures by illustrating the rise in gase prices; however, gas prices have not risen enough in the last 5 years to warrant the price of these figures doubling.

The price increase in ML is equally inexcusable. I vividly remember paying $15 for the Walmart two packs back in 2003. Last year I had to pay $35 for the ML two packs. As the holidays got closer, local TRUs actually raised the price to $41, which I refused to pay. As a result I never picked up the Deadpool/Warpath variant pack, which I actually saw in the stores several times. I also never bought a loose Deadpool/Warpath regular pack, which I would have if the price was reasonable. I'm sure apologist for these lines will say that I shouldn't compare prices today from prices 7 years ago. To that I answer as someone who is in their late 30s, 7 years is not a very long time.

Nostalgia has raised my interest in the rebirth of the ML line; however, the price will determine whether or not I collect. $18 to $20 a figure will quickly kill off whatever nostalgia I had. I have reached the point in my collecting that in the DCUC line, I haven't collected for 7 waves. Furthermore I now see these figures in the toy section while shopping for my kids, and am not even tempted to buy new ones (when just 4 years ago I would have been looking in my wallet trying to figure out how much I could afford to spend and still buy diapers, groceries, etc).

Both Mattel and Hasbro advertise these lines as being for "Adult Collectors". They recognize that we have kept the line alive from the beginning, as has Toys R Us. One thing about adults....we have other responsibilities besides collecting toys, which at the end of the day, is what these are. Collecting ML and later DCUC was a guilty pleasure of mine for many years, and it brought me a lot of joy. It was a harmless hobby when I could buy a wave for $50-$75; however, when I have to pay $120-$150 a wave.....collecting becomes a budget killer. When collecting starts to threaten the rent/mortgage, groceries, the car payment, gas, and other bills; responsible people are going to find another hobby.

I frequently hear fans justify the price of these figures by illustrating the rise in gase prices; however, gas prices have not risen enough in the last 5 years to warrant the price of these figures doubling.

Agreed, if you look at other products made from petro (everything from DVD's to pencil boxes) the increases there are not proportionate to the toy market with ML and DCU. It's incredibly annoying and (in many ways) niave to think gas prices are the main cause of this. It's a simplistic answer that is easily explained away.

A few years ago (on Yakface forums I believe, but might have been another SW board) Hasbro's Q&A session got very nasty about the price increase question (this is when gas was actually going down) and pretty much said that they were not answerable to the fans for prices and it was too complex to get into (they also implied that fans just were too simple to understand the idea). It was pretty mean spirited responce which kind of suprized me when I saw it since the Q&A's are intended to be a PR thing, basicly they were not putting thier best foot forward.

The GL 4 inch figs really hit home the idea that Mattel (and by assosiation Hasbro) are just trying to get as much money out of whatever they produce as cheaply as possible (ie Hasbro repainting the same bodies over and over).

I do sometimes think that the action figure industry is making the same mistakes the comic industry made ten or so years ago, produce crap, price the hell out of it to get as much profit as possible, screw the future. Of course we know this additude has nearly destroyed comics as a whole and while I have nothing but conjecture to base that on, but then again the gas prices excuse has the same basis.

Oh and hating on the business practices of Hasbro is not hating on ML's, marvel or any other product, Hasbro is the company that sets up the crap we complain about, doesn't mean the product isn't worthwhile, but if you made widits of gold and charged 3 times what they were worth, that is still a bad business practice, probably undercuts your sales, and most likely you will end up with warehouses full of widgets. Don't mean the widgets aren't cool or valuable, but expecting more than they are worth is unrealistic.

Remember, Toy Biz did so well at those prices they're not in business anymore!

In 2003, I remember not being willing to pay more than 2 dollars for a box of cereal. Today, the cheapest I can find cereal without using coupons is 2.50. That's a big increase. Plus the amount of cereal in a box has gone down.

I know my evidence is totally anecdotal, but I think it's foolish to be surprised by inflationary costs. They are what they are. If Hasbro can sell product at a higher price, they will, just like Kellogs. If they can't, they won't. Maybe they lower the price or maybe they stop making the product altogether.

If you want legends to work, pay the premium for them. If not, then don't. It'd be nice if you could get 2012 products for 2003 prices, but it's not realistic.

In 2003, I remember not being willing to pay more than 2 dollars for a box of cereal. Today, the cheapest I can find cereal without using coupons is 2.50. That's a big increase. Plus the amount of cereal in a box has gone down.

I know my evidence is totally anecdotal, but I think it's foolish to be surprised by inflationary costs. They are what they are. If Hasbro can sell product at a higher price, they will, just like Kellogs. If they can't, they won't. Maybe they lower the price or maybe they stop making the product altogether.

If you want legends to work, pay the premium for them. If not, then don't. It'd be nice if you could get 2012 products for 2003 prices, but it's not realistic.

you don't know the Toy Biz history, do you?

Or Avi Arad?

Marvel created Toy Biz, Marvel went bankrupt, Toy Biz did so well that they bought Marvel, They were headed by Avi Arad who became a big wig at Marvel and helped spearhead Marvel towards doing movies. When Marvel was in better shape the rights were sold back to Marvel. A few years later the contract with Toy Biz was abruptly canceled and toy biz had no characters to make, they produced some independent figures (Pitt, Savage Dragon) but without a well known franchise behind them they failed.

It had nothing to do with cost. For the most part Toy Biz got screwed by a board of directors and Marvel was promised a lot from Hasbro that has been only partially realized but not 100%. My favorite rumor in this regard is that Hasbro wanted Legends off the shelf and not competing with toys made for the G.I. Joe movie and Transformers 2 movie and to a lesser extent Star Wars Clone wars and it was worth a few million in royalty fees to diminish the product, raise prices and go to a release schedule designed to coincide with films and events.

as for your evidence I think "anecdotal" is being generous. In the summer of 2003 cereal may have been higher than it was the June of 2004. Prices fluctuate, no one will argue that. To me it seems Naive to generate excuses on behalf of a company when the point being made is the price has increased by more than double. Using your own argument you are clearly stating that you feel it is reasonable to pay $5.00 for a box of cereal today.

I get annoyed by people arguing silly absolutes. As though the person on the other hand can only comprehend an "all or nothing" option. Like a previous poster I am in my mid-thirties on a forum debating the cost of toys... that alone is depressing, but really to have to quantify an argument based around such an extreme change in pricing attached with the change of a licensing agreement shakes my faith in humanity a little.

I suppose if it is something that you feel is worth it then you are entitled to purchase it. I can't imagine anyone objecting to that and there will always be people who find a way to validate a decision even if to me the end result seems unsustainable.

Or Avi Arad?

Marvel created Toy Biz, Marvel went bankrupt, Toy Biz did so well that they bought Marvel, They were headed by Avi Arad who became a big wig at Marvel and helped spearhead Marvel towards doing movies. When Marvel was in better shape the rights were sold back to Marvel. A few years later the contract with Toy Biz was abruptly canceled and toy biz had no characters to make, they produced some independent figures (Pitt, Savage Dragon) but without a well known franchise behind them they failed.

It had nothing to do with cost. For the most part Toy Biz got screwed by a board of directors and Marvel was promised a lot from Hasbro that has been only partially realized but not 100%. My favorite rumor in this regard is that Hasbro wanted Legends off the shelf and not competing with toys made for the G.I. Joe movie and Transformers 2 movie and to a lesser extent Star Wars Clone wars and it was worth a few million in royalty fees to diminish the product, raise prices and go to a release schedule designed to coincide with films and events.

Toy Biz got "screwed" because Marvel could make more money by going with Hasbro. That's a cost issue.

as for your evidence I think "anecdotal" is being generous. In the summer of 2003 cereal may have been higher than it was the June of 2004. Prices fluctuate, no one will argue that. To me it seems Naive to generate excuses on behalf of a company when the point being made is the price has increased by more than double. Using your own argument you are clearly stating that you feel it is reasonable to pay $5.00 for a box of cereal today.

I'm stating if people are willing to pay it, companies will charge it.

I get annoyed by people arguing silly absolutes. As though the person on the other hand can only comprehend an "all or nothing" option. Like a previous poster I am in my mid-thirties on a forum debating the cost of toys... that alone is depressing, but really to have to quantify an argument based around such an extreme change in pricing attached with the change of a licensing agreement shakes my faith in humanity a little.

I suppose if it is something that you feel is worth it then you are entitled to purchase it. I can't imagine anyone objecting to that and there will always be people who find a way to validate a decision even if to me the end result seems unsustainable.

You are entitled to not purchase something. You are entitled to complain about it on the internet. But I'm also entitled to argue a realistic point of view. "Things were better ten years ago" is not a valid argument.

What is different about the packaging?

Also, I think people will cherry pick. So expect a lot more wolverines, Iron Man's and Spider-man's.

I don't want people to come into these forumns angry that people aren't supporting the line, when $20.00 after tax isn't supporting the fans. If Hasbro is price matching against Mattel, which has repacked and re-purposed their entire catalog, then the fans are in trouble.

Your big mistake is thinking that Hasbro is "supporting the fans." Hasbro is there to make money. It's not a toymaking charity for the fanboys of the world. They have people who focus on what products will sell and what they will sell for. That price may fluctuate from store to store.

If Hasbro could make enough money by selling their product for 5 dollars less, don't you think they would to undercut the competition? Maybe, but then they'd go right back to charging whatever they can. A few weeks ago, Target was selling $20 DC figures for 10 dollars, 2 packs for 15. Could the great toy charities make and sell their wares for that and still make money? Sure. They're not charities though, and so a week later, prices were back up to 20 and 30.

When the 25th GI Joes debuted, Walmart sold them for 4.88. 4 years later, they fluctuate between 7-8 dollars. The same increases hold true all across the toy aisles. Is the rising cost of oil to blame? Sure, partly. Or is the fact that toy companies realized they can raise the prices by 1 dollar a year without causing major backlash to blame?

Another analogy comes from Brian Bendis on the Word Balloon podcast when everyone was up in arms about the comic price increase. Marvel's accounting department determined that the difference in people that will pay 2.99 for a book and 3.99 for the same book is negligible. The book is still going to sell in the same ballpark regardless of the price. Do you think Marvel's going to 'hold the line' for less money? They'd be crazy. Several fans (including me) dropped a lot of comic books over the price increases, but Marvel is still pulling in the same if not more money than before.

Comics and toy companies are not looking long term. If a toyline lasts more than two years, it's the exception, not the rule. They're going to milk as much out of you as they can.

Your big mistake is thinking that Hasbro is "supporting the fans." Hasbro is there to make money. It's not a toymaking charity for the fanboys of the world. They have people who focus on what products will sel and what they will sell for. That price may fluctuate from store to store.

Sorry I have to point out a huge flaw in that reasoning, if that were true then Hasbro wouldn't use the same model for movie lines that they did with Indy and failed. Hasbro comes accross as not haveing a clue what is actually selling all the time (As in all the MU Iron Mans pegwarming and then putting the same pegwarmer into a revision case.

When the 25th GI Joes debuted, Walmart sold them for 4.88. 4 years later, they fluctuate between 7-8 dollars. The same increases hold true all across the toy aisles. Is the rising cost of oil to blame? Sure, partly. Or is the fact that toy companies realized they can raise the prices by 1 dollar a year without causing major backlash to blame?

So you are just saying they are perfectly justified in overpriceing, OK. Sorry I just disagree

Another analogy comes from Brian Bendis on the Word Balloon podcast when everyone was up in arms about the comic price increase. Marvel's accounting department determined that the difference in people that will pay 2.99 for a book and 3.99 for the same book is negligible. The book is still going to sell in the same ballpark regardless of the price. Do you think Marvel's going to 'hold the line' for less money? They'd be crazy. Several fans (including me) dropped a lot of comic books over the price increases, but Marvel is still pulling in the same if not more money than before.

Actually you are dead wrong there, Comic book sales accross the board have been dropping like crazy. The price increase was, in fact, NOT negilgible. One just needs to look at the sales charts from Diamond to figure that out.

As for Marvel making the same amount of money, that is a peice of misdirection, the slumping comic sales have been replaced by Movies and Merchanise. The last Marvel quarterly report said just thst. But you are saying that because they upped the price and are pulling the same money in that the comic sales didn't drop and that simply isn't true.

There are a ton of questionable practices that is holding back comics today (regulating to specialty comic shops, prices, availibilty, ect) and there is a serious, serious threat of the comic lines fading away. Talk to a comic shop owner about how business has nosedived, see what you get.

If you want legends to work, pay the premium for them. If not, then don't.

And statements like that I have to chuckle at, support something or you lose it arguements were worn out with Star Wars EP 2 toys and Spy Troop GI Joes. and in both cases Hasbro took the money, ran and didn't listen to fans for another 5 years.

Well I will buy them as long as they keep making them, and this series will be cherry picked due to the Price. I say the cooler the Build a figure is the better the line will sell just look at Ares and Red Hulk Waves. I know casuale shoppers want these figures too! as soon as the Wal-marts opened after christmas and the Captain America 6" Figures went on sale for 50% off they sold out! before christmas they did not sell at $15 but at $7.50 they sold Great!

Or Avi Arad?

Toy Biz got "screwed" because Marvel could make more money by going with Hasbro. That's a cost issue.

I'm stating if people are willing to pay it, companies will charge it.

You are entitled to not purchase something. You are entitled to complain about it on the internet. But I'm also entitled to argue a realistic point of view. "Things were better ten years ago" is not a valid argument.

I find it annoying because I don't see you arguing a solid point. Yes, prices were less a few years ago but should be higher now. Who doesn't get that?

If the price is too high then people will not get them... price is too high and I have been buying these figures for long enough to remember that Hasbro said if the fans don't support the line then it won't be continued.

Also, as far as the right to go on the internet and complains goes... that's what a forum is for... sort of. this one was just to gauge how people felt about the prices and I learned something interesting. If you are an older collector and already have most of these characters than you will only get some of the figures but most of the blame.

Newer collectors are more willing to buy them since they aren't competing with Wal Mart, they are competing with Ebay.

Be careful who you make mad, Its those of us who have all the figures that you'll need one day.

made this post to see what people are thinking, a clear divide doesn't really exist. Some poeple will twist or pick and choose to make it seem like more... The line is in trouble, it will be expensive... it was good while it lasted... sadly the next generation of toy buyers view even themselves as temporary a fad.

I find it annoying because I don't see you arguing a solid point. Yes, prices were less a few years ago but should be higher now. Who doesn't get that?

If the price is too high then people will not get them... price is too high and I have been buying these figures for long enough to remember that Hasbro said if the fans don't support the line then it won't be continued.

Also, as far as the right to go on the internet and complains goes... that's what a forum is for... sort of. this one was just to gauge how people felt about the prices and I learned something interesting. If you are an older collector and already have most of these characters than you will only get some of the figures but most of the blame.

Newer collectors are more willing to buy them since they aren't competing with Wal Mart, they are competing with Ebay.

Be careful who you make mad, Its those of us who have all the figures that you'll need one day.

I've been buying Marvel Legends since the line was called Spider-Man Classics, thank you very much. I find your tone presumptuous and pompous.

You have an attitude like Hasbro/Marvel owes you something, when in reality, they don't. You can gripe and whine or pick and choose, but the bottom line is that arguing with you is pointless. You keep wanting to be "blamed" for something so you can feel justified in your old-timey woes.

If you approached the situation like an adult, you would realize that companies are not built around your individual needs. They market materials and goods to the masses at prices they think they can get for those goods/materials. If you can take what they offer the masses and enjoy it, more power to you. If it's too expensive, that's a harsh reality, too. It's something the rest of us deal with as well.

My advice is to seek out fewer reasons to blame or be blamed, and deal with the situation as it stands. It'll make life a lot easier.

Your big mistake is thinking that Hasbro is "supporting the fans." Hasbro is there to make money. It's not a toymaking charity for the fanboys of the world. They have people who focus on what products will sel and what they will sell for. That price may fluctuate from store to store.

Sorry I have to point out a huge flaw in that reasoning, if that were true then Hasbro wouldn't use the same model for movie lines that they did with Indy and failed. Hasbro comes accross as not haveing a clue what is actually selling all the time (As in all the MU Iron Mans pegwarming and then putting the same pegwarmer into a revision case.

Zed, don't you think that Hasbro has already make their money on the Iron Man/Indy lines? If the plan didn't work, you wouldn't see it repeated so often. All of the Darkhawks in the world aren't going to attract new customers to the line; those pegwarming Wolvies and Iron Mans will. Why do you think the MU gift pack featured all of those pegwarming figures? Even if Hasbro takes a loss on those packs, they will make up for it in future Darkhawk sales.

So you are just saying they are perfectly justified in overpriceing, OK. Sorry I just disagree

[\quote]

Agree to disagree. I can deal with that. I'm not happy about inflation, but the world does seem to work that way.

Actually you are dead wrong there, Comic book sales accross the board have been dropping like crazy. The price increase was, in fact, NOT negilgible. One just needs to look at the sales charts from Diamond to figure that out.

You have access to the same sales statistics as one of the top folks at Marvel? Impressive.

As for Marvel making the same amount of money, that is a peice of misdirection, the slumping comic sales have been replaced by Movies and Merchanise. The last Marvel quarterly report said just thst. But you are saying that because they upped the price and are pulling the same money in that the comic sales didn't drop and that simply isn't true.

There are a ton of questionable practices that is holding back comics today (regulating to specialty comic shops, prices, availibilty, ect) and there is a serious, serious threat of the comic lines fading away. Talk to a comic shop owner about how business has nosedived, see what you get.

There's a legitimate danger in comic shops going away, for sure. Even if the comics themselves are loss leaders, they'll still be r&d for future movie projects. I'm comfortable in thinking they'll find a way to stick around.

If you want legends to work, pay the premium for them. If not, then don't.

And statements like that I have to chuckle at, support something or you lose it arguements were worn out with Star Wars EP 2 toys and Spy Troop GI Joes. and in both cases Hasbro took the money, ran and didn't listen to fans for another 5 years.

You can chuckle all you want. If a line sells, it continues. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't continue. You are not obligated to buy a line under any circumstances. But if you don't support it, you can't be too sad when it goes away.

Besides, most of hte toy industry goes in cycles anyway. GI Joe, Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc. have all come and gone multiple times over the past 25 years, and odds are good they will continue to do so. It's ok if you want to sit a round or two out. It's downright reasonable.

Whatever the case you all make good points. But like most on here I'm glad they listened and are back. Everyone was upset and talked s#$+ for years and now we got a chance with some great looking figures as well as BAFs. Alot of their choices are heavily customized by collectors and some just were wanted. If you are willing to pay ebay prices for figures that you missed in the past. Then retail prices should be no problem for figures that will be available soon. Besides MLs tend to go on sale or clearence whenever a wave is nearing its run. Even during the Toybiz days. That being said the line has my support. Cant wait.