Still not willing to pay Hasbro's price

fadersdream

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're right. This is pointless. I disagree with you, and I don't want to have a back and forth with you and do a bunch of name calling.

I'm not sure what your main point was, mine is the figures sold better at a lower price, where at the higher price they are facing extinction. As a fan I would like to see the line do well and I feel it can't at this cost.

I hope it does do well. We'll see. I think if it does then Hasbro priced them correctly, and if doesn't then Hasbro did not.

They should not (nor anyone else) blame the fans.

I'm gonna get at least 2 cases of the first wave. I don't know what retailers will be pricing them at (since prices will be all over the board) but I'm getting mine online for about $16 each shipped. i've seen the IM2 "Legends" for $10.99 on HTS, $12.99 at some Targets and up to $19.99 at TRU ($14.99 now) and another Target in my same city. Hasbro already has an MSRP but we all know it's not up to them to decide how much retailers will sell them for. Whatever the price if people can't afford them they won't buy them. They can't buy them. If someone can't afford a $7.99 MU figure, then they can't. If ML's were $8.99 and someone couldn't afford them, same thing. Who's to decide what is the "correct" price?

I'm gonna get at least 2 cases of the first wave. I don't know what retailers will be pricing them at (since prices will be all over the board) but I'm getting mine online for about $16 each shipped. i've seen the IM2 "Legends" for $10.99 on HTS, $12.99 at some Targets and up to $19.99 at TRU ($14.99 now) and another Target in my same city. Hasbro already has an MSRP but we all know it's not up to them to decide how much retailers will sell them for. Whatever the price if people can't afford them they won't buy them. They can't buy them. If someone can't afford a $7.99 MU figure, then they can't. If ML's were $8.99 and someone couldn't afford them, same thing. Who's to decide what is the "correct" price?

The market will decide. If we were getting a lot of new sculpts I would feel more inclined, but I am tired of Hasbro reusing the same mold with different heads and accessories. Too generic.

I realize I'm willing to pay more for ones I don't have though. For instance I will get a hope figure and a constrictor... But I can almost guarantee another constrictor will be released in the spiderman line using the same mold at a lower cost.

If Terrax were better I might finagle things to get one... but I expect the cost to get him to be $120. A lot for a figure I don't think is comic accurate (he is way too smooth and not bulky enough and the suit front looks to limit movement a lot, too darkseid-ish). I've bought crap figures to finish a BAF though... He's just not compelling me.

Well the point is if YOU support the Line The Hasbro Legends Design Team will get a larger Budget in the Second Year of the Series. Look at the market Stratigy they used for MU, and look now they are pumping out quality products: all the new 2-packs, 3-packs. Make an effort and the Line will get better with time, and thats how a line works if it wont sell the budget dies and no more money to design new Figures. If you didnt take notice the second wave ALREADY has a new sculpted Buck: Bucky Cap, and Archangle. So complaining about reuses its just a means to an end, and they can use new stuff with a better budget in due time. So cry to yourself and stop holding on to the Past the figures will get better and from the looks of it we will get never made and current comic figures wich is Awsome to me. Jump on borde: Save some money dont eat Mcdonaldes for a WEEK, do what you have to do! I am not telling You YOU have to buy them, but they are being made and if you decide to jump in late you will be buying these figures at $20+ Ebay prices. If you cant be convinced please stop crying and try not to ruin it for every one else.

I've never been against lines reusing molds as long as they do it well.

I recently had a friend point out that Stinkor was a Merman repaint. It blew my mind! Moss Man was Beast Man covered in fuzz!

The same happens all the time in MU, too. We'll see one new mold introduced every wave or so, but for the most part they reuse a lot of parts with new heads or gloves, etc. For every World War Hulk, we get five or six characters built off the Juggernaut mold (Juggy, Apocalypse, Thanos, Metallic paint Thanos, etc). As long as it works for the character, I'll take it. Some folks get bent out of shape that Adam Warlock, Daredevil, Bullseye, and Cyclops all share the same sculpt, but it works. Not every character is like Beast who would require his own sculpt.

Now when you get to the Sinister/Colossus repaint, things start to get stretched, and the AIM/Starlord/Ghost Rider sculpt definitely was a stretch on Magneto--and even then it was primarily because of the colors they used.

I would gladly take multiple new characters on a similar sculpt to control costs than to have to pay out the nose for newly sculpted figures each time. ML is definitely taking advantage of this idea with their running change swapping out similar sculpted characters thang they've got going on.

It's a 'work smarter, not harder' ideal, which I'm for as long as the decisions are smart ones.

I am not sure if I will fully support the line or cherry pick them... Hasbro hasn't done well with Marvel Legends at all in my opinion, and I still hold a grudge against them for killing Toybiz Legends.

I used to buy Toybiz ML figures for 6.88 at one point. I think when ML 15 came out, they had gone up to 8 bucks, MAYBE 9... and I was very okay with that. To me, they were fantastic figures and worth that price.

Then the news came that Hasbro would be producing Marvel toys... I knew it was bad and that they wouldn't put in the same amount of attention or quality in the Marvel Legends line. Other people "in the know" assured us that the ONLY thing to change in the line would be the manufacturer logo on the packaging. This wasn't the case.

Hasbro had the opportunity to take the old Marvel Legends design team over to Hasbro and continue the legacy of a very successful toyline that had gone strong for 16+ waves and HUNDREDS of figures. But of course, they couldn't and wouldn't do that. They had to put their own stamp on the line.

When we first saw the HML wave one protos they actually looked really good. But the figures that were released at retail didn't resemble those figures very much. Hasbro dumbed down the figures in a big way. In every way possible, they tweaked the figures to make them more cartoony, bland, and simple. They sucked the essence out of the toyline and killed what made it so great.

The first few waves were terrible. Hasbro had quickly turned a very successful toyline into one that could barely sell. The price was a little higher, I think 9-10 bucks, nothing big.... nothing I would have even noticed if they were still made by Toybiz.. but I wasn't going to pay more money for a far inferior product.

The Marvel Legends moved to a retailer exclusive only toyline... bleh. The figures actually got a little better towards the end of the line, but still not very good IMO.

The TRU exclusive 2-packs were imrpoved a little more, but by then the price had jumped substantially again.

and then the line was canned altogther.. and I blame this solely on Hasbro's figures. Not the price, not the distribution.. the end of the line could only be blame on Hasbro's crappy Marvel Legends. They just weren't very good anymore.

I never wanted the line to end, because there was still always a slight hope on some good quality figures making it out... and I am glad to see the line will make it's way back to the shelves again.

I mostly like what we have seen from the prototypes so far.. but there are still some old Hasbro flaws running rampant... like how small Ironman is, and a lack of paint details on all of the figures.

I am not sure if I will buy all of these figures, some of them, or none. But the price point doesn't help much. 15 bucks is too much for these IMO. I picked up Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man for 13 bucks recently, and that was okay I guess... but I wasn't thrilled with it. If these were Toybiz Legends, I wouldn't mind paying 15 probably. I guess I'll have to wait to see them in hand before I open my wallet or put them back.

15 bucks is too much for a figure, and it doesn't reflect an accurate inflation in the economy. In some cases these figures will be 18 bucks, and that is almost 3 times what these things used to cost. I can't think of any other products, besides toys, that have gone up in price that much. So if oil prices really were the blame, wouldn't everything else made of plastic be 3 times more expensive too?

on a related note.. I used to collect DC Universe figures.. and when they went over 10 bucks I started cherry picking.. when they jumped again, I quit the line entirely and sold my DCUC collection. You can't keep raising the prices when the product you are making doesn't reflect that increase.

I also quit buying comics when the prices went over 3 bucks for every title.

So anyhow.. these figures will have to be VERY good if they want 15 bucks from me.. I don't need to buy them if they aren't comparable to my Toybiz Legends... and I am quite happy with the Marvel Universe line, that has been filling my Marvel toy void

Well the point is if YOU support the Line The Hasbro Legends Design Team will get a larger Budget in the Second Year of the Series. Look at the market Stratigy they used for MU, and look now they are pumping out quality products: all the new 2-packs, 3-packs. Make an effort and the Line will get better with time, and thats how a line works if it wont sell the budget dies and no more money to design new Figures. If you didnt take notice the second wave ALREADY has a new sculpted Buck: Bucky Cap, and Archangle. So complaining about reuses its just a means to an end, and they can use new stuff with a better budget in due time. So cry to yourself and stop holding on to the Past the figures will get better and from the looks of it we will get never made and current comic figures wich is Awsome to me. Jump on borde: Save some money dont eat Mcdonaldes for a WEEK, do what you have to do! I am not telling You YOU have to buy them, but they are being made and if you decide to jump in late you will be buying these figures at $20+ Ebay prices. If you cant be convinced please stop crying and try not to ruin it for every one else.

I'm letting you know that I will be buying 3 from the first wave and 3 from the second wave. It is your responsibility to buy the remaining figures to cover the amount that I am not spending. If the line does not succeed it will be your fault for not purchasing the proper amount of figure to make up for my lack of purchases.

I'm letting you know that I will be buying 3 from the first wave and 3 from the second wave. It is your responsibility to buy the remaining figures to cover the amount that I am not spending. If the line does not succeed it will be your fault for not purchasing the proper amount of figure to make up for my lack of purchases.

Naw Thats cool, but I will be sure to buy extras that way later on down the line I can sell older waves in the secondary market to people like your self SIR

I saw th arguement all the time after the 2002 relaunch of GI Joe, and what happened, eventually they abandoned the 3 & 3/4 inches for Sigma Six, then after that got no support they went and started on a path to get some quality stuff. Blindly supporting any line will just lead to disappointment.

Also MU is still reuseing those crappy molds from the initial releases (Iron Fist is the same crappy mold, Psylocke is the same old Female buck we've seen over and over as is storm) so the arguement support=quality is not exactly true.

Naw Thats cool, but I will be sure to buy extras that way later on down the line I can sell older waves in the secondary market to people like your self SIR

Pretty sure I'll be okay, I'm kinda the worst enemy to the people willing to pay any price.

I'm an old school fan who stops short of being a fanboy. Been buying comics for 30 years and I know what I like and I know what I don't. I had the opportunity to start buying legends the first time they showed up on an end cap at gamestop.

The reason I'm the worst enemy is because I have the patience to buy the ones I don't want on clearance and if I don't end up with a figure that I don't really want I'm fine with it. I never get pangs of regret and I never buy from scalpers.

Every figure I look at I assign a price that I'm willing to pay. If they meet that price then I get it, and if it doesn't then I don't.

Pretty sure I'll be okay.

:laugh: Good one.