TRU raise ML prices

bmk007

I went back to TRU this morning to take advantage of the sale and get a price adjustment for the figures I bought last week and the cashier said that i got them for 17.99 and the price is 19.99 now. I almost hit the roof considering I passed up some figures at Target. She was nice enough to adjust the price to 17.99 and give me the 50% off despite her manager giving her #$@# right behind her. TRU wtf are you thinking???

They hike up their prices and then have "sales" that make it come out right around the price it is everywhere else or just like 50 cents cheaper after discount. Ticks me off.

But really Target does that crap alot too. They'll jack it up for a week and then have a "sale" that puts it back just below their original price. So they knock off 25 to 50 cents but say it's a $2.50 off like it's amazing.

Even worse, is when Target says it's a sale but if you lift the tag you can see that it's still the exact same price it has been for months.

i went into the store on Friday to cash in on the buy one get one half off deal.

I bought the last 2 Legends they had, but was saddened byt he price hike.

If not for me having a $10.00 gift card, I might have walked out the store.

This may be the last time i buy from TRU outside of promos and hoiday sales ....

here is an article about the situation from an inside source ...

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2011/05/how-to-sa...y-at-toys-r-us/

So the moral of the story is go to the TRU's in the ghetto :p

Seriously though this happened to me with Target a while back with either MU or Joes. One Target that is in a little bit nicer area had the figures for $1 more than the other Targets (there are about 2 or 3 more around me and they're really not in bad areas either). I tried to get them to price match but they said they couldn't and the reason for the price hike WAS the location. Anyway easiest thing to do was to buy them, take them to another Target, return them and buy them again.

LOL @ Fadersdream ....

I agree, i don't mind paying for good product, but to be gouged because it tis the current hot item or simply for greed, is crazy.

We have to draw limits somewhere ...

And it is not just ML, the DCUC 2-packs cost more that the darn DC vs MOTUC 2-packs BEFORE the sale, and the hike on the ALien figures is astronomical ..... really hard time to be a collector.

My advice, if you have kids, sign up their names for the kids saver rewards, otherwise avoid TRU until they get the message

I lucked out on the sale, my Toys r us stocked new cases right at the begining of the sale AND left the 3 pegs with the 17.99 price tags. So when I checked out they rang up at $19.99 plus the BOGO. I told the chashier they are priced at $17.99 on the floor and their is more on the pegs. After going and conferming I paid $29. qnd some change so I paid about $14 and some change per figure.

I gave them a bad review on the price on my last Survey and write it on the comment to say only the on sale items are at same price with other retailers regular price. This price change is different from "bump up program" and the change actually came from central, as you can see the price are consistent across price scanners in all stores.

I am familiar with the "Bump Up" program and Target have them too. I know a few Target stores that consistently have action figures at $2~$3 more expensive than the other stores.

For TRU, It's just that many stores have not refresh their price label yet. You can still get them to adjusted until then. I was getting some figures last Friday with BOGO 50% and ask them to adjust the price to honer the label but she said it was already Special priced and will not do it on top of the sales. So it is depend on the person when it come to an on sale item. I know I had no problem getting price adjusted to match label on regular priced items.

There was a time TRU was actually cheaper than both WM and Target but I don't even step foot in there anymore unless I'm trying to track down a figure I can't find in the other stores. It's just so pathetic that they are consistantly about $2 higher than everyone else on pretty much everything from ML and MU to Monster High and Strawberry Shortcake which are my daughter's faves. Even in these economical times TRU still has a direct from manufacturer arrangement just like the big box stores, so it's hard to understand why their economical woes are so much more dire that they feel they are justified charging that much more. The sad thing is that 9 times out of 10, at least in my local TRU, I find the product I'm looking for and am quite often compelled to pay the extra money, almost like extortion. Aside from those few cases, I spend as little time and money in TRU as possible. They lost my business way back when they made MU $8.99. I've even noticed sometimes their own employees are surprised at the prices and sometimes do a double take when the price rings up on the scanner.

Yeah, I was pretty much done with them when they made the 3.75" Mortal Kombat figures $15 a piece. They aren't worth $2 much less $15. And to see them charge $2+ on items when the same exact thing is next door at Target and Walmart.

And even when Walmart and Target discount their figures and lines, like Real Steel, Green Lantern, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, etc., TRU happily has them at the same price and in some instances have raised the price to $9+...for figures that no one is going to buy at full price. It just clutters up the stock and there is no room for new merchandise. TRU's business model is backwards right now.

TRU is amazingly hungry for $$$$$$

ML is $20, they still sell Real Steel figs for $18 a piece. Star Wars and GI Joe are $10 each, and please don't buy any accessories. It is amazing that most of the clearance items are still quite costly.

Now don't get me wrong, Target and Walmart will get you too, but they don't seem to START out robbing you

with a smile. Who knows, by Christmas, the Legends could top all the specialty items at $25

You know, I went into TRU today and the woman behind the service desk gave me a dirty look which I think was uncalled for. She knows I'm a collector. She knows I'm in there at least once a week. And yet, she looks at me like I'm some dirty scalper rather than a well-dressed collector who takes his lunch break to see if anything new came in.

With TRU raising their prices and with this type of treatment, I've decided to stop frequenting this particular TRU. I would rather go to Target where they are happy to pull stock out of the back room for me or Walmart where they just leave you the hell alone.