Definitive Marvel Legends Hulk

hisDUDENESS9829

So I was taking a look at my collection yesterday and realized that there is very little green in my display. So I pondered the conundrum and stumbled upon this conclusion...I don't have a Hulk...at all. So I was hoping that I could get yalls opinion on wht Hulk I should buy. Is there a defnintive Hulk that is hands down the best one out there? Or is it simply a matter of personal opinion? I speaking more towards the Green Hulk figures, I would def. get a Grey Hulk at one point but I really want the green one I grew up with as a kid.

So whats the verdict? Which Hulk should I shell out the dough for?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INMHO, the 2-pack face off hulk(closed mouth) is a by far the best sculpt and paint job. The marvel select hulk is awesome too but its a bit massive. Next would be the Valkyrie 2-pack hulk then the Series 1 ML Hulk. Go to marvelousnews database or to marvellegends.net and click on his SHIELD database then his Hulk to see all the varieties.

Hey here are some pictures of comparisons to help you out.

I prefer using the Marvel Select Hulk in a display with my Legends because of the sure size and stature but some people don't like Hulk being that big. If you compare the Select Hulk to a regular 6 inch Legend then he comes out at about 10 feet tall like the 2008 Incredible Hulk movie size. I prefer that size because I like Hulk being bigger then any normal human could ever reach. However everyone's opinions seem to differ when it comes to Hulk's size and some prefer Hulk being 6'8 to being 10 feet tall or bigger.

I think the Toybiz Face-Off Hulk has the best sculpt and he is very big in comparison to regular Marvel Legend characters but he's not big enough for me. The Hasbro Hulk 2-Pack figure is really big and menacing but that Head sculpt isn't the best. World War Hulk, Planet Hulk, Smart Hulk, Savage Hulk and the others that I have aren't big enough in my opinion.

I'd say if you want the most definite Hulk figure you can't go wrong with The Select Hulk or the Toybiz Face-Off Hulk. Also you might like the new Avengers 6 Inch Hulk as well.

Here are some comparison pictures I took for Fwoosh and the Universe Section.

101_0275.jpg

Note that Hasbro Two Pack Hulk is standing on Mason Jar lids to make him taller in the below picture.

101_0297.jpg

101_0299-1.jpg

72972_2105935464083_1716448239_999635_1538661541_n.jpg

Also I recommend getting Mecha Hulk because not only is he huge but he's one of the best sculpted Marvel figures ever.

101_0267-3.jpg

If you want a REAL Hulk figure, the Toybiz Face OFF Hulk is the ONLY Hulk figure. It is the definitive Marvel comics Hulk figure. The one I liked before that figure was the Hulk Classics series Gamma Punch Hulk, but then the Face Off figure came out, and I put him away.

If you want a cartoony Hulk, then the Hasbro 2-pack is the one for you.

If you want an ugly movie Hulk, then there are plenty of terrible figures for you to choose from.

If you want a GINORMOUS (out of scale) Hulk figure, then you have the Marvel Select Hulk figure.

If you want a REAL Hulk figure, the Toybiz Face OFF Hulk is the ONLY Hulk figure. It is the definitive Marvel comics Hulk figure. The one I liked before that figure was the Hulk Classics series Gamma Punch Hulk, but then the Face Off figure came out, and I put him away.

If you want an ugly movie Hulk, then there are plenty of terrible figures for you to choose from.

If you want a GINORMOUS (out of scale) Hulk figure, then you have the Marvel Select Hulk figure.

The movie Hulk we are talking about Clam isn't out yet. And it is spectacular. And the "cartoony" hulk is how he is depicted in almost all the Hulk titles in the last few years. Especially the Red Hulk/Hulk stuff. It's based off Ed McGuiness design. But it's really all preference

Your idea of a REAL Hulk figure might not be someone else's idea of a REAL Hulk figure. It's all opinion.

Hulk has been drawn the size of Marvel Select Hulk many of times. Sometimes on the Avengers Cartoon everyone comes to his waist. Hulk's height changes all the time so you can't really say what's out of scale and what's in scale. Lately Hulk has been drawn around 8-10 feet tall in the comics and sometimes even more. What you say is out of scale I say is in scale so it's just a matter of opinion.

Hulk's height is listed at around 6'8 to little over 7 feet tall I believe. I find that really short considering alot of NBA Players are over 7 feet tall. Heck the tallest man ever was 8'11. Imagine Hulk having to look up at NBA Players while being looked down by them. I recall Beast only came a little bit above World War Hulk's waist.

I love my Toybiz Face-Off Hulk but he doesn't have fists and that drops him down a huge score with me. Plus now considering how tall the Wrecking Crew are in comparison to him drops him down a peg or two as well. Plus that Hulk is the 70's early 80's Hulk look.

You may think all the movie Hulks are ugly but you hate anything movie related so....

My advice to you is save your self some money and get the new Avengers Movie one first and then build from their. get it while its new and atainable at retail price. the only small gripes I have is the movie looking face and the ab swivle(for hulk it dosent do much in the way it looks and the green ist a little pea green, but notheless it looks like a great figure. Trust me this one will be pricey in the aftermarket. SO GET IT.

Hey guys i am a newbie here. First post. I am just getting into this, I have a 5 year old son who is obsessed. I am interested in getting the new avengers movie series hulk. I have a few questions for you experts. It's an exclusive Walmart figure right? Does anyone know the specific release date or when they will be showing up in stores? Last one, your best strategies for locating one, I can't afford to pay scalper prices. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys i am a newbie here. First post. I am just getting into this, I have a 5 year old son who is obsessed. I am interested in getting the new avengers movie series hulk. I have a few questions for you experts. It's an exclusive Walmart figure right? Does anyone know the specific release date or when they will be showing up in stores? Last one, your best strategies for locating one, I can't afford to pay scalper prices. Thanks in advance.

Personally I always check the 24 hour ones during the later hours. I'm a night owl and usually find an excuse to go after 12 or 1 am when they are putting out stock.

Same here. Nighttime or early AM is usually best. Beat the scalpers at their own game. Also, I've had good luck in the past by reading the forums and seeing when others start finding them to know when it's time to get serious about hunting. With their exclusives, Wal-Marts across the country tend to be pretty uniform in when they start putting them out. Not to say they won't show up on the coasts first, but typically it's been my experience that when someone starts finding them, they will be showing up close to home soon.

I second the concensus here. Either go with the Hasbro 2-Pack McGiuness Hulk, or the ToyBiz 2-Pack Face-off/Versus Hulk. I feel that the Hasbro one is a little small and short for a 6" scale Hulk, and I love the articulation and lower body of the ToyBiz Hulk. But, the upper body of that one is a little under-sized in my opinion. His biceps, triceps and shoulder width should be a bit bigger to make him perfect, but overall, he's the best Hulk.

Your idea of a REAL Hulk figure might not be someone else's idea of a REAL Hulk figure. It's all opinion.

Hulk has been drawn the size of Marvel Select Hulk many of times. Sometimes on the Avengers Cartoon everyone comes to his waist. Hulk's height changes all the time so you can't really say what's out of scale and what's in scale. Lately Hulk has been drawn around 8-10 feet tall in the comics and sometimes even more. What you say is out of scale I say is in scale so it's just a matter of opinion.

Hulk's height is listed at around 6'8 to little over 7 feet tall I believe. I find that really short considering alot of NBA Players are over 7 feet tall. Heck the tallest man ever was 8'11. Imagine Hulk having to look up at NBA Players while being looked down by them. I recall Beast only came a little bit above World War Hulk's waist.

I love my Toybiz Face-Off Hulk but he doesn't have fists and that drops him down a huge score with me. Plus now considering how tall the Wrecking Crew are in comparison to him drops him down a peg or two as well. Plus that Hulk is the 70's early 80's Hulk look.

You may think all the movie Hulks are ugly but you hate anything movie related so....

when I say REAL Hulk, I mean based on the Marvel Universe description of him. The Marvel Universe, as are all comics and stories, is created by the writers of the stories. Not the artists. Artists make mistakes all day.. they employ their own interpretation of a character in order to try to convey the story the best way they can. The artist puts a picture to what the writer created. And they don't always do it correctly. If you saw an artist draw Nightcrawler with 4 fingers, you wouldn't say "Oh look, Nightcrawler has 4 fingers now".... you would say that the artist screwed up. And everytime I see an artist draw a 12 foot tall Hulk, I just say the artist screwed up or drew him extra large to show how scary and powerful he is. But until an official word comes out from an editor or writer, Hulk is about 8 feet tall the last time I read it. And I think the Face Off Hulk is the best representation of him in that scale.

If you like Hulk bigger, thats cool. But that is how you like him, not his official height. And saying that he is twice as tall as people in the cartoon or movies doesn't mean squat, because those things are loosely based on the comics.

Also, comparing the Wrecking Crew guys to him is not fair, because those guys are out of scale. Those figures were put onto the Hulkling body. Hulkling is taller. The wrecking crew guys are like 6'3" - 6'6"... so that is Hasbro's fault for making them out of scale, not the Face Off Hulk's.

when I say REAL Hulk, I mean based on the Marvel Universe description of him. The Marvel Universe, as are all comics and stories, is created by the writers of the stories. Not the artists. Artists make mistakes all day.. they employ their own interpretation of a character in order to try to convey the story the best way they can. The artist puts a picture to what the writer created. And they don't always do it correctly. If you saw an artist draw Nightcrawler with 4 fingers, you wouldn't say "Oh look, Nightcrawler has 4 fingers now".... you would say that the artist screwed up. And everytime I see an artist draw a 12 foot tall Hulk, I just say the artist screwed up or drew him extra large to show how scary and powerful he is. But until an official word comes out from an editor or writer, Hulk is about 8 feet tall the last time I read it. And I think the Face Off Hulk is the best representation of him in that scale.

If you like Hulk bigger, thats cool. But that is how you like him, not his official height. And saying that he is twice as tall as people in the cartoon or movies doesn't mean squat, because those things are loosely based on the comics.

Also, comparing the Wrecking Crew guys to him is not fair, because those guys are out of scale. Those figures were put onto the Hulkling body. Hulkling is taller. The wrecking crew guys are like 6'3" - 6'6"... so that is Hasbro's fault for making them out of scale, not the Face Off Hulk's.

How can you say the Face-Off Hulk is accurate to what the writers of the stories portray him as? Do you even remember how Hulk originally looked? Face-Off Hulk is based off Sal Buscema work i believe and he's not the original creator of Hulk so how does his Hulk represent the REAL Hulk as based on Marvel Universe description of him? Fact is there is no concrete REAL Hulk because he's been changed so many different times. He has went from Grey to Green, 6'5, 6'8. 7'2, 8'0, 10'0 to being really massive to not so big many times. You seem to discount other artists depictions of Hulk but prefer the Sal Buscema Hulk because it portrays the best Hulk in YOUR opinion but someone else might perfer the Hasbro Two-Pack Hulk because they like McGiuness's Hulk depiction and not Sal Buscema' work. Hulk hasn't been drawn like the Face-Off Hulk in over 20 years. Even his hair is late 70's and Early 80's. Some would say his torso is way to skinny for Hulk as well.

So there is no real official look for Hulk and all the Hulk's are the real Hulk to someone or the other. Also since Hulk's look changes so often in comics then why does the height bother you so much?

Different incarnations of Hulk are different official sizes all the time. If you are going by what Marvel.com says about Hulk's height being 7-8 feet tall as concrete evidence on Hulk's height then I can assure you even Marvel doesn't know what his height is or should be. My Official Marvel Encyclopedia says his height is 7 feet tall. What's more accurate? A Website of Marvel's or their 60 dollar Encyclopedia I got last year? If we go by the Encyclopedia then Hulk's height is 7 feet tall and the Face-Off Hulk is over an inch to big. If we go by the Marvel.com then his size varies from 7-8 feet tall and Face-Off Hulk is 8 1/4" tall so he'd be a little over 8 feet tall. It says on Marvel Database his height is 7-10 feet tall. Now you can say ''well anyone can edit that'' and I agree but even the people behind Marvel's website don't know what their doing because they have stats wrong all the time. For awhile Hulk's size listed on there was 6'8 and I know that for a fact. So maybe 10 feet tall is to large for Hulk but considering most artists draw him larger these days and Marvel can't even make their mind up of all tall he is then who really cares? So many incarnations of Hulk are so many different sizes then it doesn't matter and comes down to preference.

So basically what I'm saying is there is no REAL Hulk because there is no official way he's supposed to look and someone might think your version of REAL Hulk is ugly and prefer another depiction of him being taller and being more buff. So don't discount these artists so easily because your favorite Hulk is based on an artist's design who some people hate and his look is based on 70'80's hair designs and facial features. Sometimes Hulk has a huge forhead and tiny nose and is ugly as sin and other times he's sort of handsome. Hulk is something different to everyone.

Also I love the Face-Off Hulk as much as the next guy but the figure doesn't have fists and his waist is way to skinny and he doesn't look menacing enough to me anymore. The Wrecking Crew are oversized, yes but some people think Face-Off Hulk is oversized because at the time he came out Hulk's official height was 7'2 or around that. It was less then 8 feet tall I promise you.

Since Marvel's changed Hulk's height so many times over the years what's going to happen if they change their official rating to 10 feet tall now? Are you going to say ''well an official word has been giving'' and throw out your Face-Off Hulk? I mean you seem to only accept Marvel's official ratings of things. So at this giving time he's officially 8 feet tall and that's perfect because Marvel says he's 7-8 feet tall on their website that's so outdated but if they change their view on his height do you change yours as well?

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/h/hulk.htm says he's 7 feet tall.

Marvel.com says he's 7-8 feet

http://marvel.wikia.com/Robert_Bruce_Banner_%28Earth-616%29 says 7-10

My official book says 7 feet tall.

How can you say the Face-Off Hulk is accurate to what the writers of the stories portray him as? Do you even remember how Hulk originally looked? Face-Off Hulk is based off Sal Buscema work i believe and he's not the original creator of Hulk so how does his Hulk represent the REAL Hulk as based on Marvel Universe description of him? Fact is there is no concrete REAL Hulk because he's been changed so many different times. He has went from Grey to Green, 6'5, 6'8. 7'2, 8'0, 10'0 to being really massive to not so big many times. You seem to discount other artists depictions of Hulk but prefer the Sal Buscema Hulk because it portrays the best Hulk in YOUR opinion but someone else might perfer the Hasbro Two-Pack Hulk because they like McGiuness's Hulk depiction and not Sal Buscema' work. Hulk hasn't been drawn like the Face-Off Hulk in over 20 years. Even his hair is late 70's and Early 80's. Some would say his torso is way to skinny for Hulk as well.

So there is no real official look for Hulk and all the Hulk's are the real Hulk to someone or the other. Also since Hulk's look changes so often in comics then why does the height bother you so much?

Different incarnations of Hulk are different official sizes all the time. If you are going by what Marvel.com says about Hulk's height being 7-8 feet tall as concrete evidence on Hulk's height then I can assure you even Marvel doesn't know what his height is or should be. My Official Marvel Encyclopedia says his height is 7 feet tall. What's more accurate? A Website of Marvel's or their 60 dollar Encyclopedia I got last year? If we go by the Encyclopedia then Hulk's height is 7 feet tall and the Face-Off Hulk is over an inch to big. If we go by the Marvel.com then his size varies from 7-8 feet tall and Face-Off Hulk is 8 1/4" tall so he'd be a little over 8 feet tall. It says on Marvel Database his height is 7-10 feet tall. Now you can say ''well anyone can edit that'' and I agree but even the people behind Marvel's website don't know what their doing because they have stats wrong all the time. For awhile Hulk's size listed on there was 6'8 and I know that for a fact. So maybe 10 feet tall is to large for Hulk but considering most artists draw him larger these days and Marvel can't even make their mind up of all tall he is then who really cares? So many incarnations of Hulk are so many different sizes then it doesn't matter and comes down to preference.

So basically what I'm saying is there is no REAL Hulk because there is no official way he's supposed to look and someone might think your version of REAL Hulk is ugly and prefer another depiction of him being taller and being more buff. So don't discount these artists so easily because your favorite Hulk is based on an artist's design who some people hate and his look is based on 70'80's hair designs and facial features. Sometimes Hulk has a huge forhead and tiny nose and is ugly as sin and other times he's sort of handsome. Hulk is something different to everyone.

Also I love the Face-Off Hulk as much as the next guy but the figure doesn't have fists and his waist is way to skinny and he doesn't look menacing enough to me anymore. The Wrecking Crew are oversized, yes but some people think Face-Off Hulk is oversized because at the time he came out Hulk's official height was 7'2 or around that. It was less then 8 feet tall I promise you.

Since Marvel's changed Hulk's height so many times over the years what's going to happen if they change their official rating to 10 feet tall now? Are you going to say ''well an official word has been giving'' and throw out your Face-Off Hulk? I mean you seem to only accept Marvel's official ratings of things. So at this giving time he's officially 8 feet tall and that's perfect because Marvel says he's 7-8 feet tall on their website that's so outdated but if they change their view on his height do you change yours as well?

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/h/hulk.htm says he's 7 feet tall.

Marvel.com says he's 7-8 feet

http://marvel.wikia.com/Robert_Bruce_Banner_%28Earth-616%29 says 7-10

My official book says 7 feet tall.

So true. The same happens with The Thing alot, He's only supposed to be 6'0. But hey.

I hear you on how Hulk is drawn differently constantly. And yeah, I kinda do have to go with the most current official word on the stats. My handbook says he is 7 feet tall too, but that book was printed over 20 years ago. I have a feeling your encyclopedia simply features that information reprinted. Since then, we have official word that Hulk is 8 feet tall. Maybe he has grown lol

And yes, the Marvel website says he is 8 feet tall.. that is the most current official word we have on his height. so I go by that. If they do make it official that he is 10 feet tall, I will accept him as 10 feet tall. I will never take an artist's interpretation as anything official. And yeah, the marvel.wiki stuff holds no weight with me.

As for Face Off Hulk... I don't think he is perfect either. I also prefer Hulk to look more bulky, and I don't actually like his 70's haircut either. But since the scale I go by is his official listing at 8 feet, I believe he is the best Hulk in that scale, by far. Like I said, I used to really like the Gamma Punch Hulk, but he is smaller than Face Off Hulk. The 2-pack Ed Hulk is nice, but like I said, it looks like a cartoon and it would be the only ML figure in a collection that has that look. He would look odd next to a figure like FO Captain America.

If they do decide that he is 10 feet tall, then I might pick up another version of him down the road. because like you said, that would be an official version of him. but right now, i don't even really like any of the larger Hulk sculpts. I hate all the movie figures, and the MS Hulk isn't really a look that I like. But I can bet you that Hasbro will put out a new Hulk figure sometime soon, since they haven't done a comic Hulk for a while and he is one of their main characters.... and it's likely that he would be very big because Thor is way too big and so is Steve Rogers.

so anyways.. you can have whatever Hulk you like and find a way to fit it into your collection... but to me, the REAL Hulk is 8 feet tall in the REAL Marvel comics Universe (not cartoons, movies, or how an artist wants to draw him).. and anything way over or under that is not going to be my definitive Hulk. So that's why I say the best REAL Hulk is FO Hulk.

That great/ bad thing about ML is the lack of set scale.

I remember when DCSH came out and they release an awesomely sculpted Doomsday figure, but compared to the larger Legends like Thing or the Hulk, he was wayyyy to small.

ML did not have that serious of an issue with scale at first, but particularly when Hasbro took over, we saw scale issues. just look at the Iron Man figures, especially the latest RoHML wave 1 ... awesoem sculpt but seriously puny.

then you add the Wrecking Crew that is based on the old Hulkling mold but was tweaked to add more height and bulk, the larger Lord Thor and the new Modern Thor .... Thor should be big, but he is MASSIVE.

As far as the Marvel database, that is not accurate, in fact the original encyclopedia had errors in it when it was printed in the late 80's and early 90's. So to see the Thing at 6 feet is preposterus. That dude is huge .... he is a giant rock!!!!

just based on the myths alone, Thor should be over 7 feet tall, the Thing should be about 8 feet, and the Hulk should be around 9 feet tall. To me (my opinion), anything over 10 feet and we are going into Giant Man/ Dragon Man scale.

With all that said, the best sized figs of the Hulk that i own are the Smart Hulk, The Face-Off Hulk, the Green version of the Fin Fang Foom classic (came as the variant to the Grey Hulk), and the War Hulk. the ML 9 Hulk was huge but he was ugly and grey. I dont own the 2pack hulk, but his upper body is incredible!!! Yet, his face is very cartoonish.

I would have to agree with Mike C 123, get the new Avengers movie Hulk first, and then start your personal hunt for the older Hulk figures.

Here are some links to some pics of the various Hulks I like.

Smart Hulk

http://www.oafe.net/yo/hc1_smrt.php

Rampaging Raging Hulk

http://www.oafe.net/yo/hc2_gph.php

Grey Hulk (that also came in green form)

http://www.oafe.net/yo/mlhulk_sgh.php

Avenger Movie Hulk video Review

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=14978

Let us know what you decide on Dudeness

hisDUDENESS9829, to answer your question it depends on what you want or what you're going for in your display. There's no definitive Hulk because as you can see everyone has varying opinions on what a Hulk figure should be. For me it is Face Off Hulk but I admit it has some flaws. Here's a few tips that could hopefully help you:

-If you're looking for realistic look FO Hulk is the way to go but the hands are kind of weird so you can't get into much fighting poses.

If you're looking for a good size and articulation Hulk with fists HML 2 pack is a great choice plus he shares a body with the Red Hulk so they go very well together but like Clam mentioned he can look odd with other figures specially Toybiz ones due to it being based on Ed McGuinness art and looking kind of cartoony.

-If you want a massive and fierce looking Hulk and don't mind scale or articulation then the Marvel Select Hulk is pretty good but to me personally the facesculpt is off.

-Although I don't own it the first appearance Hulk looks good from what I've seen good height and articulation but the headsculpt is too era specific to fit with other figures unless you're going for an early appearance display.

All the Hulk figures have flaws and good points you just have to decide which ones are you willing to overlook/embrace.

As far as the Marvel database, that is not accurate, in fact the original encyclopedia had errors in it when it was printed in the late 80's and early 90's. So to see the Thing at 6 feet is preposterus. That dude is huge .... he is a giant rock!!!!

I know it is strange for Thing to be that short because you think he should be bigger.. but he has always been that tall since the beginning.. and he is usually drawn that tall too. Mr.Fantastic is 2 or 3 inches taller than Thing. I don't know if I have ever seen a pic of him where he is like 7 or 8 feet

anyhow.. can we at least all agree that Face Off Captain America is the best Cap figure? lol