Is scalping morally wrong?

spang2005

I have a confession to make. I have scalped figures before. I'm here to come clean and share some of my thoughts on the practice and why I don't think it's morally wrong to do.

There have been times, mostly as a broke college student, where I've been strapped for cash. It's not easy to make money when you're a full time student, but it's really easy to spend. Sometimes I've sold figures from my personal collection for some quick green. I'm sure this is something we've all done as the money often ends up getting used to buy new figures, and whatever you charge, part of that is going to be what the figure is worth in the market as well as to you sentimentally.

Other times, though, I've bought figures from the store that I had no interest in keeping for the sole purpose of re-selling on eBay for a profit. This is nothing but scalping, pure and simple.

As a collector, I have to say, it's actually a lot of fun. You get to basically do your hobby (hunt for and buy figures) and make money doing it. I know there's guys who make a living doing this who probably have no connection whatsoever to the toys, but knowing the feeling of finding a new figure, I can say that the same sort of thing happens when you find a figure you know you could flip for $20, $30, or $40.

I can say that I feel a little guilty profitting off a figure that a fellow collector would have wanted just as I can also say that I've often cursed scalpers for buying up all the good figures at the crack of dawn. On the other hand, though, if guys like me and you refused to pay the marked up prices, there wouldn't be a business anyway.

Ultimately, this is why I say that scalping, while an inconvenience to collectors, is not morally wrong nor are scalpers inherently jerks (though a few I've met tend to be.) The value of any item is only what someone is willing to pay, and if there's money to be made, people will capitalize. Plus, there's the whole other side of distribution which often, and especially as of late, is poor on the manufacturer and retail end. At the very least, scalpers provide the benefit of access to items that many of us would not otherwise be able to obtain. If the markup is worth it to you, then by all means, you're not overpaying. You're paying exactly what the figure is worth to you.

So, that's my story and thoughts, but I'd like to hear from others. Do you think scalping is the bane of collectors? Is it a legitimate way to make a living or even a few bucks? Have you ever done it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can understand if some need money and know how to make that they jump on it. then again its sad for the one who comes next. i have nothing against it but what i hate about it is when they sell it for triple the price. i mean even around here some claim "yeah i picked figures up for other people but then they ask so much more and thats not really right. if you want to be the good guy and claim you picked these up for other collectors then why ask so much more??? i mean if you want 2-3bucks more for a figure then i am ok with it. you went into trouble to get some figures and drove around a few miles so you have the right to get some for you. i wanted these 6insh movie avengers figures and thanks to stupid hasbro and their exclusives i have to pay 70usd for a hulk??? what??? no way, thats lame. sure i live in europe and shipping costs has tripled somehow lately on ebay but come on, 50-60usd for one figure is way to much. usa or international doesnt matter. same goes for piledriver and madame hydra. big time spidey is also unbelievably high. running changes and exclusives are bad for a toycollector and a lot loose interest in finding figures they need. so maybe i wont get into marvel legends fulltime again. it was fun at toybiz times but the hobby just got way to expensive that i really dont care that much anymore. for 80usd i get awesome saint seiya figures from bandai with so manny parts, hands, faces, metal armor and they are articulated in every way and well painted. so sorry but 50usd for a marvel legend is just way to high for a repainted figure with a new head sculpt. so i am ok if people wanna earn a buck or two but asking double its costs is lame.

Scalping has made a once great pass time more stressful than it should be. If one can afford to buy two, one to leave in the package and one to take out I can understand that. Or maybe buying some for other people or friends I can understand. Buying everything in sight and posting these already rare figures online for 2 to 3 times their retail price I can't get behind. I miss the old Toybiz line too. The figures were cheaper and easier to come across. If you buy a extra for a custom and never got around to doing it and now you want to sell the extra I can see that too. What pisses me off is that I can't really afford too many of the recent figures at retail and I only really want a few of them and I can't even find those. I refuse to believe that just parents are wiping out $16 to $19 a figure waves just for their kids.

Well I call it scalping if you try and sell it for more than it's worth. Not necessarily what you got it for. I expect to pay what something is probably worth at the time. Meaning the average going price. Not the over inflated scalpers price. My local comic shop does the same thing and sometimes a little less. I got most of my FO legends MOC and a ToyBiz Dark Phoenix MOC for no more than $35 a piece. That included the regular Cap/Red Skull which is usually around $80. I found a couple of the death variant MU Archangels when they were out and then needed money. So I sold them for $25 shipped. Which at that time the average was $25 + whatever the seller charged for shipping. Now it's more than that much loose. Twice as much moc. I dont see a problem if it's a reasonable price. Things like the MU Vision is just ridiculous though.

People know my stance on Scalping in my previous posts.....Don't care for them much.

The assholes I'm hating at the moment are the ones buying all the Avengers Wal-Mart 6 inch figures and selling them 50 bucks a piece when they paid 15 bucks a pop. They're the reason real collectors like myself can't find a single one besides Iron Man. Wouldn't bother me if real collectors were beating me to them but just the idea that my local Scalper that used to run a comic shop got them all makes me red in the face.

I just want 1 Cap, Thor, Hawkeye, Loki and Hulk and I'd be happy. It's hard contending with these scalpers because they have connections with Wal-Mart employees and some don't even have a day job. So they have nothing but free time to find these figures while people like us work 9-5 and don't have much free time to hunt. We end up either paying 50 bucks a pop or don't get them at all.

Reason enough to despise a damn scalper.

People know my stance on Scalping in my previous posts.....Don't care for them much.

The assholes I'm hating at the moment are the ones buying all the Avengers Wal-Mart 6 inch figures and selling them 50 bucks a piece when they paid 15 bucks a pop. They're the reason real collectors like myself can't find a single one besides Iron Man. Wouldn't bother me if real collectors were beating me to them but just the idea that my local Scalper that used to run a comic shop got them all makes me red in the face.

I just want 1 Cap, Thor, Hawkeye, Loki and Hulk and I'd be happy. It's hard contending with these scalpers because they have connections with Wal-Mart employees and some don't even have a day job. So they have nothing but free time to find these figures while people like us work 9-5 and don't have much free time to hunt. We end up either paying 50 bucks a pop or don't get them at all.

I understand your frustration, but something you said kind of reinforces my point that for a lot of scalpees, this is their 9-5. They keep up with the market and understand what figures are rare and "worth" more than retail. As long as there is a demand that is greater than supply, its going to make those figures go up in price. As someone with interests in business, i cant jelp but find scalping a perfectly viable and legit business despite how it affects me as a collector.

hell.. if someone wanted to pay me 50 bucks each for those figures.. what's that? 300 bucks for something that costs 90 bucks.. I would sell them without thinking twice.

hell.. if someone wanted to pay me 50 bucks each for those figures.. what's that? 300 bucks for something that costs 90 bucks.. I would sell them without thinking twice.

Like. Thats what Im saying! As long as people will pay it, who is to say that asking $x for a toy is wrong?

People who don't collect and just sell them for profit are dirtballs. But if your a collector and you see something rare why not make extra money off it? People always complain about this but how bout when they buy 5 of the same figure because they have control problems and can't pass it up for another kid to get it. At least a scalper will sell you the figure. Or how about buying figures only to trade. We all know people aren't trading them for the value they paid for them. They are not making you pay their prices and there really aren't that many to be stealing figures from your collection. I don't even worry about it.

So good story. I got a scalper that comes to my store(Target) and he takes the monster high and hot wheels and MU figures. He kept asking me for the legends and I told him were dry and a small store so chances are we won't get them. So the 1 wave we got 3 cases and I baught them and 4 of the 2nd wave baught them. I am a overnight manager and see them fresh off the trailer. So this why I did this, this past Xmas we got some monster high dolls and he came running in and had all of them in his hands and a little girl and her dad were in there and she was begging for them and this guy had no remorse to even hand one over. I knew what he was doing and I was so mad. So when I know there's something he wants I act them same way he does. I have two little girls and would hate to see my daughters heart broken because some chump came in and did this. Yes I am still sitting on all seven cases and no I dont scalp I keep all my stuff unless I need to trade for something I don't have.

So good story. I got a scalper that comes to my store(Target) and he takes the monster high and hot wheels and MU figures. He kept asking me for the legends and I told him were dry and a small store so chances are we won't get them. So the 1 wave we got 3 cases and I baught them and 4 of the 2nd wave baught them. I am a overnight manager and see them fresh off the trailer. So this why I did this, this past Xmas we got some monster high dolls and he came running in and had all of them in his hands and a little girl and her dad were in there and she was begging for them and this guy had no remorse to even hand one over. I knew what he was doing and I was so mad. So when I know there's something he wants I act them same way he does. I have two little girls and would hate to see my daughters heart broken because some chump came in and did this. Yes I am still sitting on all seven cases and no I dont scalp I keep all my stuff unless I need to trade for something I don't have.

Wow 7 Cases? off a Target Salary? Somebody lives with Mommy and Daddy.... Naw just messing with you....... but really.

Wow 7 Cases? off a Target Salary? Somebody lives with Mommy and Daddy.... Naw just messing with you....... but really.

You'll be surprised of what a executive from target makes$$$$$$. I have a pretty nice home I own. probably 10 years old. It's what you get when you go to college and graduate. ;) you should see my collect sometime. My parents live in Oregon I've been on my own since college

dang that's cool, and after college Target was at the top of your carrier list, that's awesome! I wish I could go back in time and talk to my 10 year old self and tell him to work at target its Awesome! Anyways just bored trying to kill some time at work. Don't take to much offense to my vomiting mouth. I Kid, I Kid.

dang that's cool, and after college Target was at the top of your carrier list, that's awesome! I wish I could go back in time and talk to my 10 year old self and tell him to work at target its Awesome! Anyways just bored trying to kill some time at work. Don't take to much offense to my vomiting mouth. I Kid, I Kid.

Lol no Offense man. Will get along just fine. Yeah it was my third job been there 5 years and making out prettying well. I'm living pretty cozy;) wife 2 kids and an awesome hobby!

Smh.... Lol people....

I dont see how what you did is any better than the scalper. Granted, hes a jerk for not giving the kid the doll, but at least he provides those who are willing to pay an opportunity. Youre basically hoarding 7 cases of figures that you got bc of your position. At least the scalper has the same chance as everyone else.

I dont see how what you did is any better than the scalper. Granted, hes a jerk for not giving the kid the doll, but at least he provides those who are willing to pay an opportunity. Youre basically hoarding 7 cases of figures that you got bc of your position. At least the scalper has the same chance as everyone else.

Anyone does have a chance at them if someone wanted to trade. Or one of buddy's needs something

Anyone does have a chance at them if someone wanted to trade. Or one of buddy's needs something

I actually feel kinda bad now that I think about it. I'll distribute them fairly. That is pretty jacked. I'll keep my share and get rid Of the rest

I understand your frustration, but something you said kind of reinforces my point that for a lot of scalpees, this is their 9-5. They keep up with the market and understand what figures are rare and "worth" more than retail. As long as there is a demand that is greater than supply, its going to make those figures go up in price. As someone with interests in business, i cant jelp but find scalping a perfectly viable and legit business despite how it affects me as a collector.

Yeah some scalpers 9-5 job is scalping. Doesn't mean I still don't despise them. I also keep up with the market and I'm good at calling stores and finding figures but when I find rare figures I trade them to members on here instead of Ebaying them.

Sometimes they spend all their time finding and buying all these figures while we're at work working 9-5. They themselves can cause these figures to be hard to find and make their own prices on Ebay. It is frustrating knowning scalpers are buying cases of the Avengers figures because they have nothing but free time and employees calling them. They buy them and get to flip them 40-50 dollars a pop to collectors who stand no chance of finding them because they work and don't have free time.

Sometimes scalpers have an unfair advantage when this is their job.

Some people hate scalpers some people don't mind. I just happen to hate them. I have a local scalper who does this as his job since his comic shop closed down. He has employees who call him to get figures and he does this 24/7. It's hard competing with someone like that who has nothing but free time and buys all the figures. Went to a convention and there he was selling Marvel Legends 30-40 bucks a piece and said he found them in my town. I still can't find half of the 1st wave. It's hard not being frustrated and it's hard him condoning having 4 Hopes, 3 Thors, 4 Commander Rogers and what not while my girlfriend's brother and I can't find any.

So if people want to scalp then go for it but people prob shouldn't try and justify scalping on these boards because everytime it happens huge fights ensue and Clam has to clean house. If a person wants to scalp then I'm not going to talk trash or try and stop them but I sure prob wouldn't like them very much if their causing me or my friends to not find figures and pay double or triple if we want them.

I remember when my local scalper still had his comic shop and the Giant Man Series had came out. I missed all of them at Wal-Mart and seen his cart full. Him and I were on good talking terms and I mentioned that he had just gotten them before I came in. He said the lady called him and told him they were in. The next day he was selling them in his shop for triple the price. Thank god I had one of the stocker ladies call me the next time they got a set in. She called him first but I beat him to them because my friend Patrick lived real close and I happened to be there when she hit my cell. Got two complete sets for my girlfriend's brother and I. He even tried to get me to let him have one of the sets, wtf! Said he drove out their and it didn't seem fair because I got two sets! I told him ''wow Shannon, how many sets you need?. These are for my friend Chris and I'' haha and he seemed sort of pissed.

Yeah some scalpers 9-5 job is scalping. Doesn't mean I still don't despise them. I also keep up with the market and I'm good at calling stores and finding figures but when I find rare figures I trade them to members on here instead of Ebaying them.

Sometimes they spend all their time finding and buying all these figures while we're at work working 9-5. They themselves can cause these figures to be hard to find and make their own prices on Ebay. It is frustrating knowning scalpers are buying cases of the Avengers figures because they have nothing but free time and employees calling them. They buy them and get to flip them 40-50 dollars a pop to collectors who stand no chance of finding them because they work and don't have free time.

Sometimes scalpers have an unfair advantage when this is their job.

Some people hate scalpers some people don't mind. I just happen to hate them. I have a local scalper who does this as his job since his comic shop closed down. He has employees who call him to get figures and he does this 24/7. It's hard competing with someone like that who has nothing but free time and buys all the figures. Went to a convention and there he was selling Marvel Legends 30-40 bucks a piece and said he found them in my town. I still can't find half of the 1st wave. It's hard not being frustrated and it's hard him condoning having 4 Hopes, 3 Thors, 4 Commander Rogers and what not while my girlfriend's brother and I can't find any.

So if people want to scalp then go for it but people prob shouldn't try and justify scalping on these boards because everytime it happens huge fights ensue and Clam has to clean house. If a person wants to scalp then I'm not going to talk trash or try and stop them but I sure prob wouldn't like them very much if their causing me or my friends to not find figures and pay double or triple if we want them.

I remember when my local scalper still had his comic shop and the Giant Man Series had came out. I missed all of them at Wal-Mart and seen his cart full. Him and I were on good talking terms and I mentioned that he had just gotten them before I came in. He said the lady called him and told him they were in. The next day he was selling them in his shop for triple the price. Thank god I had one of the stocker ladies call me the next time they got a set in. She called him first but I beat him to them because my friend Patrick lived real close and I happened to be there when she hit my cell. Got two complete sets for my girlfriend's brother and I. He even tried to get me to let him have one of the sets, wtf! Said he drove out their and it didn't seem fair because I got two sets! I told him ''wow Shannon, how many sets you need?. These are for my friend Chris and I'' haha and he seemed sort of pissed.

Amen brother.

seriously? hating on a guy for working at target and making a living? just wow.

seriously? hating on a guy for working at target and making a living? just wow.

It's all good.;)