Is scalping morally wrong?

spang2005

So good story. I got a scalper that comes to my store(Target) and he takes the monster high and hot wheels and MU figures. He kept asking me for the legends and I told him were dry and a small store so chances are we won't get them. So the 1 wave we got 3 cases and I baught them and 4 of the 2nd wave baught them. I am a overnight manager and see them fresh off the trailer. So this why I did this, this past Xmas we got some monster high dolls and he came running in and had all of them in his hands and a little girl and her dad were in there and she was begging for them and this guy had no remorse to even hand one over. I knew what he was doing and I was so mad. So when I know there's something he wants I act them same way he does. I have two little girls and would hate to see my daughters heart broken because some chump came in and did this. Yes I am still sitting on all seven cases and no I dont scalp I keep all my stuff unless I need to trade for something I don't have.

Wow 7 Cases? off a Target Salary? Somebody lives with Mommy and Daddy.... Naw just messing with you....... but really.

Snobby toy collectors. Who woulda thought. And if you take offense. just kidding. but really?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So good story. I got a scalper that comes to my store(Target) and he takes the monster high and hot wheels and MU figures. He kept asking me for the legends and I told him were dry and a small store so chances are we won't get them. So the 1 wave we got 3 cases and I baught them and 4 of the 2nd wave baught them. I am a overnight manager and see them fresh off the trailer. So this why I did this, this past Xmas we got some monster high dolls and he came running in and had all of them in his hands and a little girl and her dad were in there and she was begging for them and this guy had no remorse to even hand one over. I knew what he was doing and I was so mad. So when I know there's something he wants I act them same way he does. I have two little girls and would hate to see my daughters heart broken because some chump came in and did this. Yes I am still sitting on all seven cases and no I dont scalp I keep all my stuff unless I need to trade for something I don't have.

Wow 7 Cases? off a Target Salary? Somebody lives with Mommy and Daddy.... Naw just messing with you....... but really.

Snobby toy collectors. Who woulda thought. And if you take offense. just kidding. but really?

Not offended at all.

Some people "flip" houses, I flip figures. That way I know they end up in collector's hands because are they are usually the only ones insane enough to bid that high on some stuff. And more importantly it keeps them free from the clutches of the local flea market douches. I typically buy one to open, one to keep MIP, just in case...

Some people "flip" houses, I flip figures. That way I know they end up in collector's hands because are they are usually the only ones insane enough to bid that high on some stuff. And more importantly it keeps them free from the clutches of the local flea market douches. I typically buy one to open, one to keep MIP, just in case...

Adding to that part about the bidders. True enough some people have the funds to go that high on alot of stuff we probably wouldnt if they want it bad enough. I dont blame the sellers that list things auction style and they end up going for ridiculous prices. My first experience as a seller was unbelievable to me. I had just gotten alot of figures from a buddy of mine that had figures that I wanted and some that were duplicates of what I had. It was his idea to sell what I didnt want or need on ebay. I didnt know what they were worth at all and never used ebay for selling. But some of my $.99 auctions netted like $200 a piece! Thing was that's all he sold me everything for. He just wanted to get rid of the stuff and just gave me a price I couldnt refuse. He knew what most of it was worth too. I was getting bids from everywhere all over the world including small countries and cities I never even heard of. I made a little more that 10 x what I got if for without a Buy it Now listing. It's not exactly "evilbay " as some of you like to call it. I personally hold myself to a realistic limit for each item I buy or sell on ebay. As a collector I never buy or sellanything for outrageous prices and refuse to.

There's a difference in scalping and fair market value. Which is the reason I don't own a Deadpool or crossbones. Because if all these high and mighty collectors I keep seeing were so against scalping they would sell Deadpool for what they paid (retail) plus shipping. "OH but that's different" no it's not. I hate scalping but I realize figures have their own allotted worth based on rarity due to popularity of the character, rarity of the figure (due to distribution) or overall quality. Most of the time it's just a sheer matter of supply and demand. Like the new Avengers figs.. If Wal-Mart would have flooded the floors with them they would have been peg warming as bad as the first Iron Man movie figs were. Hell I remember WM had to repackage that 6 inch line into 2 packs to move it. Now look at it.. those figs go for 30 bucks in some cases. Like I said it's all about supply and demand.

Here goes my two cents for what it's worth. I don't respect scalpers who have no interest in action figures, or any other collectible and do it just to make money. I feel like you need to get a more respectable hustle or a job. That's just me as a man, I feel like anyone who is willing to rely on reselling as a viable means of income only hurts the economy. But that's a political thing so let me leave it alone.

Now on the flip side I feel like 90% of collectors are wayyy to impatient, collectors will #$@# their pants if they don't walk into Wal-Mart the same day they see a haul picture on the internet and don't get said figure. SCALPERS love this, they create false supply and demand by saying "Oh I talked to a Wal-Mart manager and they said these Avengers figures would only be shipped once per store and never again". Bull crap... I've NEVER seen a wal-mart figure that was once per store and that was it.

Collecting figures are getting wack man, too many politics.

Here goes my two cents for what it's worth. I don't respect scalpers who have no interest in action figures, or any other collectible and do it just to make money. I feel like you need to get a more respectable hustle or a job. That's just me as a man, I feel like anyone who is willing to rely on reselling as a viable means of income only hurts the economy. But that's a political thing so let me leave it alone.

Now on the flip side I feel like 90% of collectors are wayyy to impatient, collectors will #$@# their pants if they don't walk into Wal-Mart the same day they see a haul picture on the internet and don't get said figure. SCALPERS love this, they create false supply and demand by saying "Oh I talked to a Wal-Mart manager and they said these Avengers figures would only be shipped once per store and never again". Bull crap... I've NEVER seen a wal-mart figure that was once per store and that was it.

I'd actually be pretty interested in hearing your thoughts on how resale hurts "the Economy." I'm not so sure I buy that. The only way I can see it being harmful is if the seller isn't paying taxes on his/her income, but even then, that's got to be a small drop in the bucket, right?

about the one per store. Yeah I just hauled In a case this morning and they have 3 cases In transit on the telson(scanner) they checked it up. So yeah that's bull about the one case per store. I have a feeling these are gonna flood the market cause there all hitting the stores now. Your right patience is key. And me personally as a collector I really don't care if they flood the market.

If a scalpers 9-5 job is selling on ebay and what not and he plans on doing this for a long time and isn't paying taxes, then he's screwing himself/herself over once they retire lol. If you aren't putting anything in, you sure aren't getting anything out. No one wants to be an old man still scalping lol.

Well your wrong THEY still get Us (taxpayers money) Most all people I see doing this practice live off some kind of payout Be it SSI or Disability. Most scalpers are around the age of 30 and up so they know how to work the system. I see them own little shops, flea market or what ever go around all day scalp all local retailers and then make a profite all the while collecting for their lazy fat man syndrom disability. They just dont want to contribute to society only take. Individualisum is our culture and society and thats my stand with these shytless layabout Scalpers.

The fact that you say you feel some guilt tells you your answer.

The argument that you are just "helping distribution" is absolute BS of the lowest order. If you want to help people get the goods (and even make some money at it) then become a retailer and open your own store - even online. Buy it at wholesale and then resell it at whatever price you can get for them. Not a problem with that.

The problem with scalper $#!theads is that they aren't HELPING the distribution but rather hindering it by intercepting items that someone else could have bought at retail. Instead they are faced with the jacked up price they become when dip$#!t buy up all the retail stock.

Furthermore, scalper @$$holes aren't taking the risks that retailers are. They keep receipts and return stuff that ended up not being profitable - thereby causing major clog-ups of total garbage that keeps newer stuff from getting ordered and filling shelves. So you can also blame them for junk suddenly reappearing in stores (often in much less sellable shape too) when Ebay doesn't pan out. All that returned inventory will keep most retailers from getting in newer stuff for a much longer period. In fact, all told scalpers might be a large part of the reason that some local retailers stopped selling certain lines.

Don't give me your excuses. College schmollege. I've got 6 kids myself. And before my wife or I finished college we already had 3 of them. By the time I finished my Masters degree we were expecting #5. I managed to work to keep them fed and still get an award for the highest GPA in one of my undergrad programs. There are people out there much worse off than you that are busting their butts to be able to attend college.

Lastly, thanks for you honesty. I know that wasn't easy to admit, especially when some of us will get on here and blast you (like I have done). But seriously, I would say all this to a friend too. Losers give excuses, winners give results.

I think it's rather funny, and definitely ironic, that part of your justification is to keep them "from the clutches of the local flea market douches". So, you're just flipping, but they're douches for trying to resell stuff? lmao. Honestly, I'm not big on those guys either, but I've seen much more reasonable prices at flea markets than I have on Ebay, Amazon, or any other online source. How exactly are you better than them?

Oh, and thank you so much for your service to mankind in keeping flea market people from getting toys. If only everyone were as civic minded as you are.

okay, perhaps I should apologize for the over-the-top sarcasm. I'm not trying to tick anyone off; but that was seriously ironic. Scalpers saving us from flea market vendors. kind of an oxymoron isn't it? like "hi, I'm with the government and I'm here to help."

The fact that you say you feel some guilt tells you your answer.

The argument that you are just "helping distribution" is absolute BS of the lowest order. If you want to help people get the goods (and even make some money at it) then become a retailer and open your own store - even online. Buy it at wholesale and then resell it at whatever price you can get for them. Not a problem with that.

The problem with scalper $#!theads is that they aren't HELPING the distribution but rather hindering it by intercepting items that someone else could have bought at retail. Instead they are faced with the jacked up price they become when dip$#!t buy up all the retail stock.

Furthermore, scalper @$holes aren't taking the risks that retailers are. They keep receipts and return stuff that ended up not being profitable - thereby causing major clog-ups of total garbage that keeps newer stuff from getting ordered and filling shelves. So you can also blame them for junk suddenly reappearing in stores (often in much less sellable shape too) when Ebay doesn't pan out. All that returned inventory will keep most retailers from getting in newer stuff for a much longer period. In fact, all told scalpers might be a large part of the reason that some local retailers stopped selling certain lines.

Don't give me your excuses. College schmollege. I've got 6 kids myself. And before my wife or I finished college we already had 3 of them. By the time I finished my Masters degree we were expecting #5. I managed to work to keep them fed and still get an award for the highest GPA in one of my undergrad programs. There are people out there much worse off than you that are busting their butts to be able to attend college.

Lastly, thanks for you honesty. I know that wasn't easy to admit, especially when some of us will get on here and blast you (like I have done). But seriously, I would say all this to a friend too. Losers give excuses, winners give results.

Good screen name. I almost feel like I just got b!tched out by Captain America himself especially with the little catchphrase there at the end.

I think it's rather funny, and definitely ironic, that part of your justification is to keep them "from the clutches of the local flea market douches". So, you're just flipping, but they're douches for trying to resell stuff? lmao. Honestly, I'm not big on those guys either, but I've seen much more reasonable prices at flea markets than I have on Ebay, Amazon, or any other online source. How exactly are you better than them?

Oh, and thank you so much for your service to mankind in keeping flea market people from getting toys. If only everyone were as civic minded as you are.

okay, perhaps I should apologize for the over-the-top sarcasm. I'm not trying to tick anyone off; but that was seriously ironic. Scalpers saving us from flea market vendors. kind of an oxymoron isn't it? like "hi, I'm with the government and I'm here to help."

Actually, your sarcasm is more second-rate than over-the-top. Don't over-value your wit just yet. I'm a collector first and foremost. About 98% of what I buy goes there initially, with another 1% going to helping other forum chums. The remaining 1% goes to Ebay after I tire of it or others don't want/need it. So that's why I place myself above the scalper who collects Hot Wheels or other non-action figure things but decides to buy the HTFs for pure profitability. It's a grey area nonetheless and I have no problem working within those perameters. The vendors around here try and create the market by inflating their prices for no other reason than greed. At least w/ auctions, more people have a chance & can set their own limits. A lot of the vendors have had some of these figures for so long they've accrued more dust than interest. And yes, they are douches more for their personalities & unsanitary personage then their toy purchasing practices. They're cretins; unbathed, jobless, chain-smoking dirtballs. Come visit me & I'll show you just what I mean. You can park that high-horse of yours next to my four cars, as I collect and flip them too...

I dont think the price of buying something your collecting, then waiting till its off the market and selling it for a higher price is that bad as long as its reasonable to the original price; like a 4 dollar figure should never go above like 30 unless its been like 50 years. But people who buy toys for the purpose of selling it while its still out in circulation or buy it for the entire purpose of selling it, that's BS and those people can burn for all eternity where they belong ^_^

(Im very jaded right now because I didnt get my apocalypse at Origins as you can tell and the people at the tables I played already had one and took it exclusively for the purposes of selling and wouldnt trade anything for them cause they could get 140 out of the figure -_-)

I dont think the price of buying something your collecting, then waiting till its off the market and selling it for a higher price is that bad as long as its reasonable to the original price; like a 4 dollar figure should never go above like 30 unless its been like 50 years. But people who buy toys for the purpose of selling it while its still out in circulation or buy it for the entire purpose of selling it, that's BS and those people can burn for all eternity where they belong ^_^

(Im very jaded right now because I didnt get my apocalypse at Origins as you can tell and the people at the tables I played already had one and took it exclusively for the purposes of selling and wouldnt trade anything for them cause they could get 140 out of the figure -_-)

you can edit the double post. What is this "apocalypse at Origins" you're talking about?

Apocalypse and Dr Fate (who i didnt want) was the heroclix con exclusive figure. Instead of selling them like a normal company they make you play in hour long tournaments that cost 12 bucks a pop to get them. The 12 dollars wouldnt be that bad if you got to keep the figures you played with but instead they gave dived them up at the end so you cant rare draft even if you suck at the game so you dont get a rare. So if your not any good at the game like I am but I enjoy playing for the fun of playing you never get one. Meanwhile you miss all the roleplaying or any other events like the whil wheaton panel. You just get jack. So I am very bitter -_-