Favorite version ML Thor?

Romulus

I really can't decide on my favorite version of Thor. For years it was ML wave 3 (my first ML) but then King Thor came out. What brings King Thor down imo is his lack of paint apps. The ML wave 3 is huge and imposing but he is too top heavy and his uniform lacks a small bit of detail, those last 2 plates. The Giant Man Wave version has a nice sculpt but is far too small imo. The Hasbro ML Hercules dwarfs him. For a period of time the Marvel Select version of Thor supplanted all others due to comic accuracy and paint apps, plus I likesd his size. Now the recent ML modern Thor had matched the MS version, he had better articulation but his paint apps are not quite as nice as the MS version. The movie version is a great representation of Chris Hemsworth but I tend to separate the movie MLs from my mainstream collection plus he is a bit skinny. As of right now MS amd ML modern Thor may have the crown. One pic is of MS Thor and Masterpiece Rodimus Prime and one ML3 Thor is stuggling against the Thor movie line 8 inch Destroyer.

post-52826-1339559417_thumb.jpg

post-52826-1339559500_thumb.jpg

post-52826-1339559666_thumb.jpg

post-52826-1339559704_thumb.jpg

Nice pics Romulus. Makes me wish i did buy that 8-inch Destroyer, because the latest version of Thor is little too big for the TB version.

My favorite version of Thor is from the Giant Man series. Yeah he is a tad bit too small, but he has all the features that the ML 3 misses: better facial sculpt, better hammer, and better articulation.

My next favorite is the ML Modern Thor. While he may be a bit too big, he is NICE!!!

His sculpt gets in the way of some of the articualtion, but that is an awesome figure.

And as far as muscle goes, the most imposing looking is the Lord Thor from Hasbro.

He is built as if he is ready to give Surtur the business right now.

man, I agree with everything you said about the Thors and their problems.

I loved the ML3 Thor, but he really looks strange from his waist/crotch area. It's too small and looks like his legs come right out of his belt. But it has the right size.

The Giantman Thor has IMO the best sculpt, but it is really too small. If only it were the same size as the ML3 Thor, it would be epic.

So the next best thing is King Thor. It's pretty great except, like you said, it drasitcally needs some paint apps to show off the sculpt. It looks cheap. Out of the 2 versions of King Thor, I think the one that came out last year with the Thor movie is the much better version. But it still needs paint apps, and it's not classic Thor.

The modern Thor is a great sculpt, but it is WAY too big, and thus can't be a part of my ML collection.. because Thor isn't 8 feet tall.

and I don't count any of the movie costume Thors.. those aren't for me

so what to do what to do? I guess I hope they do another Thor :)

This recent pic is the ML 3 Thor vs Gladiator Hulk (without armor). Btw in my little Marvel Universe the Hulk (who is one of my favorite characters) is not all powerful and can be beaten at times. Especially by gods and cosmic beings even though the fights should be epic and not one sided. A indestructible character is limiting story wise. This goes for Superman too.

post-52826-1339823997_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The Giant Man wave version of Thor gave us a Mjolnir with inscriptions on it.

Wish the new RoHML had something like this on the hammer:

lilthorlilhulk.th.jpg

hammerwords.th.jpg

Yeah that would habe been nice. Some people are substituting that hammer for this keychain version. It's about the right size. My problem with it is that I don't want to pay $15 or $20 for a KC

post-52826-1341283490_thumb.jpg

i agree with FadersDream, the weak link on most of the Thor figures have been the face.

the ML 3 Thor was big and muscular but had a constipated Conan face.

The Giant Man Thor was great, my persoanl fave, but was smaller than Hercules and Bishop.

The Lord Thor was awesome, but wished he could swap heads for a regular, non-bearded Thor.

the MS Thor looks like the comic but not enough artic, and maybe too big.

my next favorite Thor is the RoHML but he is too big, but nicely done. He does look like the comic, but kind of cartoony compared to the MS.

The MS classic Thor has his face stuck in shout for Asgard mode.

one of the best looking versions of Thor in recent years has been the Icons Thor and the MU Ages of Thunder, if you are talking facially ... I just dont collect those scales

Will 1st off say that for 6" Thor, I have the Modern verison by Hasbro, as I find that is my favourite, even if he is a bit too big. I've actually noticed that many of the Modern Thor figures(Hasbro 4" and 6" inch, plus Marvel Select) don't have the the Mjolnir with inscriptions on them, just plain. You'd think Hasbro would just re-used the molds instead of making new ones to save money. Course, I don't know if in the current comics, if the inscriptions are still on Mjolnir or not. The SDCC verison of this figure is very unique due to the lighting effects paint they gave the figure and Mjolnir. Can't go wrong with either, but I personally prefer the retail verison.

Next, wanted to point out that I have a 4" verison of Classic Thor(2 actually), so I feel I don't need a 6" verison for my collection(For my collection of 6" and 4" figures, for the most part, I try to get 1 or 2 verisons/costume looks of a character in 6" scale, and try and get any other looks/costumes in 4" scale or any other scale. Kind of tricky, sometimes, but I really don't mind mix and matching looks from various era's and/or comic and movie looks together, so long as I have the same character but in different looks in different scales. Of course, I should note that this rule for me is a character by character basis. Either way, it gives me a good excuse to collect both scales).

With all that said, from what I've seen person and from memory, for the Classic look, I would say Hasbro's looks nicer, but seems a bit too smaller/skinner. And it probably has less joints than the ToyBiz 1.

But if I were to get 1 more 6" Thor, I would have to go with the Lord Thor verison just for the sculpt alone. However, Hasbro did 2 releases of this figure, both during their 2007-2010 Marvel Legends line, and for the 2011 Thor Movie line, so I don't know which deco is better. But either way, I just love the sculpt.

As for Movie Thor, well, I guess that depends on the deco of costume, and/or if you like Movie Thor to have a helment or not. Never seen them in Canada in person, so I can't comment otherwise.

Recently, Marvel has released pics of their upcoming Marvel NOW event, which takes place after the whole AvX storyline. From the pic shown(See Marvelous News main page for this), it shows Thor having a slightly altered looks, as it looks like Modern Thor without the cape, still has his hammer, but now sports 2 swords on his back. No doubt Hasbro will do a figure of this eventually, but will it be offered in both 4" and 6" or just 1 scale remains to be seen.