Neo Classic Iron Man

Saintjw

Hey All,

I've been watching reviews and reading comments about neo classic Iron Man recently and almost every one of them mentions that it is quintessential armor. For the life of me I can't recall when this armor was used, I stopped collecting comics for about 8 years from 1996-2003 or 2004 so maybe I missed it, When did Iron Man use this armor?

Hey All,

I've been watching reviews and reading comments about neo classic Iron Man recently and almost every one of them mentions that it is quintessential armor. For the life of me I can't recall when this armor was used, I stopped collecting comics for about 8 years from 1996-2003 or 2004 so maybe I missed it, When did Iron Man use this armor?

" POST-ARMOR WARS ARMOR/ MODEL XIV

Even though I designed the Silver Centurion armor, I was never a huge fan of it. Only because it broke my essential Iron Man rule that each consecutive armor should be more streamline than the last. When we introduced this new Iron Man armor in issue #231, David and I wanted to return Iron Man to something that was reminiscent of the original Red-and-Gold design, but infinitely more compact. I also felt that it was important to create an armor that was easiest enough for other artists to interpret. One of my issues with some of the current designs is that they are difficult to recreate accurately. "

Found the info at this website, still the boots on the figure are ginormus so I'm not sure if it's exactly the same armor but it's the closest match I could find. It's number three on this guys list: HERE

THanks sir, looks like it was BEFORE my time collecting, that explains it. Man I am building quite an armory, now just need to nail this guy down, the Toybiz Hulkbuster, and the modular from Face off

Np man, I wanna get this guy when they start releasing in stores. Also I'd love to get my hands on a ToyBiz Hulk Buster as well :P

Got this figure in the mail today!

I am not sure how LONG he wore this armor, or where/when he started wearing it. BUT, I distinctly remembered him wearing this armor during a favorite storyline from back when I was reading comics, Operation: Galactic Storm. Researching the story on Wikipedia, it was published between March and May 1992. 20 YEARS AGO! Damn, I'm old.

It was the Iron Man armor that I really first took notice of. Operation Galactic Storm was the first comic book crossover event that I collected and I'm pretty sure that's what made me such a HUGE Avengers fan. I vividly remember loving the panels in Part 5 where all the Avengers come together in the conference room and are arguing with each other, and are then split into teams for traveling to the Kree homeworld, the Shi'ar homeworld, and to stay and guard Earth. I remember Hawkeye being pissed that he was left on the Earth team and taking the Pym particles to become Goliath again. So U.S.Agent got bumped to the Earth team and Clint-as-Goliath got to join the Kree team. I've read that issue so much the cover's detached. I think this storyline is the group of Avengers I'd be content to have made by Marvel Legends. So there are still quite a few remaining that need some love. Crystal, Sersi, White Vision, Eric Masterson Thor, Clint Barton Goliath, Photon, Living Lightning, Starfox, "Hank Pym" (jumpsuit), Mockingbird, Quasar... but I don't need a Gilgamesh figure.

He had to have worn the armor till around 1994 because the 1994 cartoon series featured the "modular" armor that was used on the Face-Off 2pack figures from Toy Biz. When he started, if it's the redesign after the Silver Centurion armor, then it debuted in June 1988.

Got this figure in the mail today!

I am not sure how LONG he wore this armor, or where/when he started wearing it. BUT, I distinctly remembered him wearing this armor during a favorite storyline from back when I was reading comics, Operation: Galactic Storm. Researching the story on Wikipedia, it was published between March and May 1992. 20 YEARS AGO! Damn, I'm old.

It was the Iron Man armor that I really first took notice of. Operation Galactic Storm was the first comic book crossover event that I collected and I'm pretty sure that's what made me such a HUGE Avengers fan. I vividly remember loving the panels in Part 5 where all the Avengers come together in the conference room and are arguing with each other, and are then split into teams for traveling to the Kree homeworld, the Shi'ar homeworld, and to stay and guard Earth. I remember Hawkeye being pissed that he was left on the Earth team and taking the Pym particles to become Goliath again. So U.S.Agent got bumped to the Earth team and Clint-as-Goliath got to join the Kree team. I've read that issue so much the cover's detached. I think this storyline is the group of Avengers I'd be content to have made by Marvel Legends. So there are still quite a few remaining that need some love. Crystal, Sersi, White Vision, Eric Masterson Thor, Clint Barton Goliath, Photon, Living Lightning, Starfox, "Hank Pym" (jumpsuit), Mockingbird, Quasar... but I don't need a Gilgamesh figure.

He had to have worn the armor till around 1994 because the 1994 cartoon series featured the "modular" armor that was used on the Face-Off 2pack figures from Toy Biz. When he started, if it's the redesign after the Silver Centurion armor, then it debuted in June 1988.

The Neo-Classic comes in two forms.. The Layton version and the JRJR version.

Layton's wasn't so bulkie, and his first appeared in Iron Man 231. They showed a version of this figure at SDCC 2011.

Iron Man's armor starts to beef up more and more starting around issue 256 I think

At issue 281 we get the first ever War Machine arc, and in 284 Tony gets shot and is believed to be dead. War Machine stars in the book until 290, where Iron Man returns, but with a remote controlled suit. Finally, in issue 300, we get Stark back in the Armor with the Modular.

This Neo-Classic Iron Man armor (MODEL IX) was created by Tony Stark after a confrontation against Firepower, which left the Silver Centurion armor destroyed.

It first appeared in Iron Man #231

Model09.jpg

And a further desing added the bigger boots.

Iron%20Man%20#22.jpg

This armor was then replaced by the Teleprecense Armor in Iron Man #290, but we have to remember Tony faked his death in Iron Man #284, so it lasted from 1988 to 1992.

I love all the comic book historonics ... just wish the figure wasn't smaller than the Extremis version

Wait wait wait, he's SMALLER than Extremis?!

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showt...088571&st=0

Yeah... Scroll to the bottom of page one...

Thanks man. Also thanks for the link you sent me, I couldn't send you a pm back since your inbox was full.

I hope that I did not mess too many people up with the "reveal" that the Neo Classic is mega short.

Thought everyone already knew.

And yeah, Mike123C, how hard can it be to make Iron Man the right height???

When the movie figure is bigger than the main line, something is wrong!

I thought Extremis is small but they managed to make this guy even smaller haha! I'll still pick him up if I manage to see him in store, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to get one for myself.

On a good note, his does look bulkier, does he feel bulkier as well?

• 1 month later...

Is it just me or does anyone else not like this figure at all?

Im not a fan of it. He's really hard to pose and stand up because of his crappy foot articulation. The hands aren't interchangable (should have came with different hands). You cant get his head back for flying poses. The scale is way off.

Just don't see why this would be considered a good fig in my book. It just comes off lazy to me.

Anyone think remotely the same?