What's the best usage of the SDCC exclusive multi-pack?

DSmith

I was fine-tuning my post on the Post-SDCC Wishlist thread and I got to thinking...

Thunderbolts and X-Force would be what I'd consider "successful" multi-pack exclusives. But most or all of those figures could survive or stand alone at retail.

At least:

-Psylocke

-Archangel

-Moonstone (which we've heard WILL see release at retail)

-Luke Cage (clamored for FOREVER)

-Crossbones (already sold out at retail)

So I got to thinking... is this really the BEST use of the SDCC exclusive multi-pack?

SDCC is attended by die-hard loyal comic book/superhero fans. Those of us who can't go overpay online to get these exclusives we missed out on. But aren't these slots wasted on characters that would sell just as well in single-packs at retail?

Why not do the more obscure characters and teams that you would logically want to produce in lower numbers, limited quantities, and leave the high-demand characters for your main waves?

I'd love to see any of these being released at SDCC:

Savage Land Mutates (might necessitate the most new sculpting)

-Zaladane

-Brain Child (mini-figure like Hit Monkey or Rocket Raccoon)

-Barbarus

-Lupo

-Amphibius

-Vertigo (could also be moved to Nasty Boys set or Marauders set)

Nasty Boys

-Gorgeous George

-Ruckus

-Slab

-Hairbag

-Ramrod

Inhumans

-Black Bolt (remake)

-Medusa

-Gorgon

-Triton

-Crystal

-Luna (mini-figure)

-Lockjaw

Morlocks

-Callisto (most marketable as a single-pack if you need to thin this out)

-Sunder

-Annalee

-Ape

-Tar Baby

-Tommy (two-dimensional, so would take up almost NO space in packaging, could be nearly flat with bendy wires inside for posing)

-Leech (mini-figure like Hit Monkey or Rocket Raccoon)

Marauders

-Arclight

-Harpoon

-Riptide

-Blockbuster

-Prism (this new tooling could be recycled for an Iceman updated figure)

Inner Circle

-Sebastian Shaw

-Harry Leland

-Donald Pierce

-Selene

-Mastermind

-Hellfire Club guard

Shi'ar Imperial Guard (fittingly copying the monster DCUC Legion of Super Heroes 12-pack!)

-Lilandra

-Gladiator

-Oracle

-Hussar

-Manta

-Smasher

-Flashfire (aka Tempest)

-Warstar (B'nee & C'cil)

-Titan

-Earthquake

-Neutron (could be reused as a new Colossus mold)

-Hobgoblin

Starjammers

-Corsair

-Hepzibah

-Ch'od (with Cr'reee) (could be used as an Abomination or A-Bomb mold)

-Raza

-Havok (modern)

-Polaris

Would you want any of these? What other teams would you want to see produced all at once at SDCC?

From that list I'd only want Inhumans but I like your thought process. The Thunderbolts set woulda been cooler w/ Songbird, Mach V, Fixer or a new Man-Thing in place of Crossbones & Luke Cage which would both be great single releases. Heck even Shocker or Boomerang woulda been cool in the SDCC set.

Yeah they would have, but Boomerang is set for a single release...

They could have maybe put a Troll figure in there since they feature her on the back of the newest wave of 3.75" MU. And I would like a Mr. Hyde or even a Centurius (REAL longshot).

I would think maybe the less obscure groups you mention (outside of the Inhumans) and maybe something that is more mainstream but maybe would not make it in single packs. Like the New Mutants. Or Avengers Academy. Something along those lines. Something for Marvel fans and collectors, but wouldn't be shunned by them. It's bad enough when I listen to Podcasts and read reviews with people asking who the hell is Judith Chambers. We all know her as Satana, and even then, I wonder if people who don't read the book would even know her. I remember her and a lot of obscure characters from back in the day (heck, I even read Howard the Duck in which I think she turned up once or twice). But more thinking outside the box is what is needed at Hasbro.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a First Appearance X-Men with Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast in their original yellow and blue/black costumes. And Iceman looking all lumpy and snowy like he originally did.

I second this, a first appearance X-men box set would be a great addition, I think they are the only major characters not to get a first appearance figure in ML form.

New Mutants

Cannonball

Sunspot

Moonstar

MagikB

Boom-Boom

X-Factor Investigations

Madrox

M

Shatterstar

Siryn

Havok