Would you be interested in an all-female line?

vicious_maturity

Females, especially during the toybiz days, weren't exactly the best sellers. As such, a line of all females probably will never happen.

And the selection of female figs have been very limited, most likely because Hasbro cannot take the risk of overproducing more than one female in each line (not including swaps or exclusives). So what happens as a result, evident especially in the recent lines, is that a female figure's price will sky rocket onto the stratosphere, particularly in the second hand markets.

But what if there were talks of getting an all female line? Would you buy it? What restrictions do you think would make it possible for it to be a success?

And who would you want in?

I'll play. Yes I would buy an all female wave. My list is thinking in terms of MU not ML. There's going to be some serious x-men bias here.

Deathbird

Magik

Domino

Polaris

Emma Frost

Wolfsbane

Siryn

Spiral

Stepford Cuckoos - I don't think this one would ever happen but one thing that would work in its favor is some people would buy at least 3

Non X-men (Doesn't seem like the greatest wave. I mostly read X-men)

Black Cat

Inhumans Crystal

Stature

Tigra
Lady Sif

Sure, there's quite a few figures that need to be made and with one female to a wave, it's too slow.

Mary Jane (my Spidey collection will never be complete without her)

Spider-Girl (May Parker)

Blink

Gamora (comic version)

Phyla Vell Quasar

Mantis

Sif

Kitty Pryde (a better one)

Scarlet Witch (again a better one)

Songbird (Civil War/Secret Invasion version)

Oh man hell yeah! Even if it was a hobby shop or online exclusive. There are so many even remotely popular and just somewhat well known heroines to make.not to mention villainesss. That's one area I gave DCUC credit. We still more modern X ladies as well as must have comic Mary Jane and FA Storm. I'd actually break down and order a case for the first time.

Online exclusive- I feel like this is the only way to go. As far as the roster, I'm not sure who I'd want. Maybe...

1) Shi'Ar Empresses- Deathbird/Lilandra

• To my knowledge, the Shi'Ar haven't been featured that much the past few years in the comics, so this may not be practical. Even MU doesn't even have any members apart from Gladiator. But ever since that Toyfare poll, I've wanted a Lilandra figure for the longest time.

2) Avenger Angels- Ms. Marvel/Scarlet Witch (I rather like Wanda's Marvel Now outfit)

• Just some remakes of the horrid Toybiz molds.

3) Sly Sorceresses- Amora/Selene

• Villains. I think they represent well two of the strongest Avengers/X-Men villains.

4) Bird Belles- Songbird/Snowbird

• Further completion of the Thunderbolts and Alpha Flight teams.

5) Peter's Partners- Mary Jane/ Gwen Stacy

• We need Spider-man universe reps. An alternative I'd prefer are his enemies: Silver Sable/Typhoid Mary maybe?

6) X-goddesses- Polaris/Storm

• Still no Polaris to this day. The last X-woman we got was Hope (Mystique if you wanna get technical), and personally, I couldn't care less, especially if Polaris keeps topping most wanted charts.

7) Inhuwomen- Medusa/Crystal

• Who was the last Inhuman we got? Only Black Bolt right? That said, these two are not likely, even in a regular ML line. But one can hope. If Medusa can make MU, maybe...just maybe.

8) Gender Benders- Capt America/Iron Man in female form

• You can be sure something like this will be implemented, just to force the Iron Man and Cap collectors to pick up the wave, or these two at the very least. Although, I would rather have some female Cap villains. Maybe Diamondback? Or even a Guardians of the Galaxy women, like Gamora/Moondragon? Or maybe Marauder women like Vertigo/Malice? Ugh, so many choices, and we're not much closer to getting any of these wonderful female characters.

BAF: Giant Girl? Madame Web? Thundra? Mankiller?

I really want Giant Girl, even if she's as big as the MU Goliath figure. But I don't think we're gonna get any bigger BAFs from now on that were Sentinel/Giant Man sized.

8) Gender Benders- Capt America/Iron Man in female form

• You can be sure something like this will be implemented, just to force the Iron Man and Cap collectors to pick up the wave, or these two at the very least. Although, I would rather have some female Cap villains. Maybe Diamondback? Or even a Guardians of the Galaxy women, like Gamora/Moondragon? Or maybe Marauder women like Vertigo/Malice? Ugh, so many choices, and we're not much closer to getting any of these wonderful female characters..

Why Gender bend them? just use Rescue or Iron Girl (from the mangaverse) and American Dream from the A-Next.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I'd have no problem with an all female wave, except Hasbro can't seem to understand that different female characters will have different body types.

They can mold a shorter buck for Wolverine, larger for Thor & Bishop, more intricate and detailed for Maverick,  but when it comes to females, they give Dagger, Phoenix (although Dark Phoenix was better), Black Widow and Kate Bishop more or less the same sculpt. She Hulk was a welcome change, but otherwise they blow it, and before we can get a decent all female wave they need to wake up. YES Hasbro- Emma Frost is on the busty side. Deal with it. Songbird is not. Black Widow is a deadly assassin, martial artist and spy, so she shouldn't be on the same teen child body as Kate Bishop. Aint that hard.

I'd love to see an updated comic accurate:

1. Valkyrie-Tallest mold possible, double jointed elbows, biceps swivel. Platinum blonde for hair, Shiny silver paint for armor parts.
  2. Thundra- Tallest mold possible, double jointed elbows, biceps swivel. Metal ball & chain.
  3. Misty Knight- Black short sleeve turtle neck, jeans, black boots (boot swivel), or red leather outfit. Swappable cyborg right arm, double jointed elbows, biceps swivel. Can use the gold paint from her first figure. Shoulder holster, python magnum gun
  4. Ms. Marvel- they can put her on the new Rogue buck, and she even has the scarf.  
  5. Namora- Agents of Atlas outfit. Really should be on the old Rogue/Gamora buck.
  6. Madam Web- she CAN go on the spindly Kate Bishop buck. Gold web chair would be incredible.
  7. Mantis- Rogue/Gamora buck, most flexible plastic possible for skirt strands, double jointed elbows, biceps swivel. Use same green and yellow paint as on the Rogue buck. Add additional hands/fists for martial arts.

BAF: Deathbird

gmmm.jpg

Sure, as long as it was all characters I want in their classic comic book incarnation, 

1. Invisible Woman
  2. Wasp - first appearance with interchangeable head, or red/yellow version
  3. Captain Marvel II (Monica Rambeau)
  4. She-Hulk - "Savage", "Sensational", Avengers, or Fantastic Four version
  5. Gamora - first appearance
  6. Valkyrie
  7. Misty Knight
  8. Colleen Wing
  9. Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)
  10. Tigra
  11. Moondragon
  12. Mantis
  13. Mockingbird
  14. Clea
  15. Titania
  16. Madame Masque
  17. Firebird
  18. Firestar - Amazing Friends/New Warriors
  19. Namorita - New Warriors
  20. Kitty Pryde - classic trainee uniform; Lockheed
  21. Magik - classic trainee uniform, eldritch armor arm and sword
  22. Rogue - first appearance
  23. Destiny - 
  24. Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine
  25. Typhoid Mary - first appearance
  26. Deathbiird
  27. Nekra
  28. Princess Python - with bendy wire python accessory

Any wave or waves of those characters, and the first build-a-figure could be Harpy.

I’ll take it would be dope, especially with so many women missing or even another boxset. I’d need: 

Ms America Chavez

Spitfire 

Diamonback, Black Mamba & Asp

Titania

Toni Ho & Aikku Jokinen

Deathbird

Moondragon (Merged) 

Mantis

Sky

Lyja

Lyra 

Hildegarde, Idunn, Kelda, Karnilla, Sera, Freyja

Sage

Trinary

White Tiger (Angela Del Toro)

Wave

Aero

White Fox

Luna Snow

Pei

Crescent 

The Dryad

Gladiatrix

Wasp (Nadia VanDyne)

Colleen Wing

Alicia Grimm

Crystal

Mur-G’nn

Morgan Le Fay

Karolina Dean

Gertrude Yorkes 

Moon Girl

Molly Hayes

Destiny

Tempest

Nova

Accuser Lauri-Ell 

Abigail Brand

Smasher 

Cerise

Xandra Neramani

Hepzibah

Oracle

Black Swan

Proxima Midnight

Supergiant

Star

Echo

Hazmat

Minn-Erva 

Ultra Girl

Troll 

Personally i wouldn't mind, but i'm not sure that it makes sense from Hasbro's perspective.  

Feels like if anything hasbro has backed off on the number of female characters that get figures, it seems like they used to try and get at least 2 female characters in every wave but now in many cases its just 1* .  So far in 2020, we've had 5 waves with only 1 female character vs 2 waves with 2 female characters (Super-Skrull and Crimson Dynamo waves), unless i'm forgetting wave(s) which is certainly possible.

Also, it seems like female figures are disproportionately likely to get receive multiple heads that allow the body to stand in for more than one character.  Ayo, Dani Moonstar, Stepford Cuckoos,  Gwen Stacey, Hellfire club Black Queen, arguably even Mystique with the random Lilandra head.  Although on further thought i guess you could point to Black Knight, Skullbuster, the Madcap head with X-Pool, and maybe others i'm forgetting.  Still seems like the gals are more likely to experience this, given that fewer female figures are made overall.  

* did some further research via Wikipedia... starting with Mandroid wave in 2014 (but not including 2020) , hasbro has made:

• 29 waves with 2 or more female figures
  • 12 waves with 1 female figure (including vintage wave 1)
  • 3 waves with 0 female figures (Giant man wave, mcu Vulture wave, and Endgame wave 1)

So while prior to 2020, 34% of waves had 1 or fewer female figures,  in 2020 (so far) we've had 71% of waves with 1 or fewer female figures.

I'm guessing that either A) hasbro figures that female figures don't selll as well in general, or B) the marvel universe just has many more male characters, or C) A-listers that get multiple figures per year are mostly males or D) all of the above?  Not sure

I personally would love it, they could rerelease some figures from A force box set as well as other figures that are pricey, and some say female figures never sell. There’s of course room for new female figures including classic Ms. Marvel/Moonstone Ms. Marvel figure with alternative head, Monica Rambue Captain Marvel preferably that will also include two head sculpts with her different hairdos. New X-men or/and Astonishing X-Men Emma Frost. Magik in her demon form, which to be fair can be risqué for more than two reasons.  But there’s bunch of female figures that could easily make great wave. 

9 hours ago, leokearon said:

I wouldn't mind another A-Force style boxset

Funny enough, I wasn't at first all that impressed with that boxset, but managed to acquire every figure from there except the She- Hulk (which I didn't want anyway). My favorites were Sif, Lady Loki and Elsa. I almost didn't get Photon/Captain Marvel because it always bugged me that someone who can literally turn into light, needed a trench coat, but hey, that's how she's currently depicted.  I hope they do more boxsets, just don't make them "exclusive".

43 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Funny enough, I wasn't at first all that impressed with that boxset, but managed to acquire every figure from there except the She- Hulk (which I didn't want anyway). My favorites were Sif, Lady Loki and Elsa. I almost didn't get Photon/Captain Marvel because it always bugged me that someone who can literally turn into light, needed a trench coat, but hey, that's how she's currently depicted.  I hope they do more boxsets, just don't make them "exclusive".

Personally I liked the set, especially as it had a lot of ladies I wanted and I got it half price on BBTS

Personally, I'll take any and all female characters they can produce. I loved the A-Force set (aside from the She-Hulk, which was just poorly made), but try as I could I couldn't make everyone love it. It's just the breaks. Sure, us collectors snatch up The ladies as soon as we can, but the majority of casual fans, made up largely by young boys are not fond of female toys and they ultimately end up dying on the vine. If they could do some sort of pre-order set for an all female wave I'd be all for it, but don't expect a lot of new sculpting. Maybe that's why Hasbro's been going hard recently creating new female sculpts. If they could do an all female wave or set and only utilize each sculpt once and include a unique BAF or "Large" figure such as Enraged (She) Hulk, Big Bertha or Anaconda I think there would be a decent turn out.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

I sadly missed out on that set. I think intention was that Photon and Bloodstone were put in that set with those exact looks to complete or at least give us hope of completing Nextwave team, we also got bootleg nick fury/Dirk Anger head. I mean considering the nature of the book looks were fitting enough but it seems Hasbro slowed down on that plan, maybe we can get Captain and at least Machine man from that book.  

42 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

I sadly missed out on that set. I think intention was that Photon and Bloodstone were put in that set with those exact looks to complete or at least give us hope of completing Nextwave team, we also got bootleg nick fury/Dirk Anger head. I mean considering the nature of the book looks were fitting enough but it seems Hasbro slowed down on that plan, maybe we can get Captain and at least Machine man from that book.  

I never got that set either, just didnt have the cash to get it at the time, but it seemed to sit on the shelves at least at the TRU near me. I think it may have even been discounted.