New to ML Figures

tellytubbygen

I have a decent collection of MU figures that I have collected in the last couple of years about 100 or so. I have always resisted collecting ML figures because the figures being released were random and I did not know if I could afford having the same figure in 2 sizes. But with the ML Infinite series where each set/case is based on a common theme/movie seems to make it a more complete collection. I am wondering if it is a good time to start collecting. Not to mention I managed to get hold of Black Widow today so I wont have the heartburn of missing that 1 figure from the set. I don't care of troop builders so the AIM and Hydra soldiers don't mean anything to me and the rest are all available on Amazon right now. Should I take the plunge?

I collected MU since it came out but due to all its issues I started ML collecting around Xmas last year and haven't looked back. As for a good time to start from everyone finding older ones at discount stores right now Id have to say yes its a good time. I collect on a character basis i.e trying to have every character in the marvel universe and despite the cost of some I've had a ball. ML still have a few issues like QC and distribution but hey so does MU. My opinion is go for it with some of the cheaper ones and see how much fun you have and go from there.

Start small until you know you like the scale. I started simply as a Spider-Man themed collector and have since gotten in to collecting any and all characters that ML puts out. Now is a good time though because of the recent Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Captain America waves putting out great versions of the important characters to start anyone's collection. Legends from the recent relaunch are easy enough to find (for the most part) and that will get your collection going well enough before you tackle some of the hard to find older figures. Welcome aboard!

I think at the end of the day, you also have to consider your priorities, as well as your socio-economic circumstances.

Here are some questions that might help you make a decision:

1) Do you have the cash to fork on ML figs? They're considerably more expensive than MU.

2) Will you have limits on what to collect and what not to collect? Equally as important, will you stick to these limits? You said you don't care about the army builders... I said the same thing ages ago, and now I must have at least 2-3 of each. And how sure are you that you will only stick to the Infinite line?

3) Do you have space, now that you have over 100 MU figs?

4) Do you plan to open them? If yes, go to #3. If no, go to #3.

5) Ask yourself, what is collecting the Legends line for? Satisfy an insatiable yearning to amass a new collection? Display a massive diorama? Have nothing else to spend money on? I'm not gonna judge you on what your reasons are but you have to make sure that, at the very least, there's a point to collecting the line.

My very first figs were 3 3/4 inches. I moved to 5 inches, then 6 inches when the SOTA Street Fighter lines came out. I was very impressed with the 6 inch SOTA lines because of 1) sculpt detail, 2) better paint apps, and 3) ARTICULATION... three things that I felt lacking in the 3 3/4 and 5 inch figures.

So I only started collecting the female figures, as I used to be an exclusive female figure collector. But displaying only female figures felt weird. Not just that, it looked weird.

So in 2010, I joined Ebay and hunted for as many sets as I could. Thankfully, back then, some of the (less popular) waves could still be purchased for $50-$60, shipping included. And it was around the time Hasbro ended the line before reviving it a year or two later, so I managed to get most of the 2 packs for retail price that now sell for an insane amount of money.

Suffice it to say, it became a slippery slope for me.

I was in the process of collecting MU X-Men related figures + general female figures (I was at around 40-60 figures). But sold them all upon feeling that I was going down a further slope. LOL. I had to go back to the reasons WHY I wanted ML in the first place. While not perfect, I felt they do have better paint apps, sculpts, and articulation than the MU figures, so I committed to those justifications.