Strategy to beginning an ML collection?

tellytubbygen

I have been contemplating starting an ML collection for a while now, but the availability and the multiples of Cap and Spiderman have been putting me off. I see that the distribution is much better this year, with each wave having only 1 version of each character. I am also thinking since I have a large MU collection which I dont want to sell or give away, I may just concentrate on the core characters like the Main Avengers, Spiderman, Wolverine, main Xmen and some of the major A-list villains.

Right now my plan is to get the Target 3 pack, sell Radioactive Man; get Hawkeye, Thor and Scarlet Witch from Wave 1; IronMan, Hulk and Thanos from Wave 2; Nick Fury from the Shield 3 pack. Any other figures I am missing or should get?

You need a comic Iron Man to complete Marvel's Big Three (Iron Man, Cap, and Thor).

A good and recent figure is the Heroic Age Iron Man from the Iron Monger Wave. However, if the rumors of a Marvel NOW! Iron Man coming are true, you might want to wait for that one (because it's of an even more recent armor). But, if you prefer red & gold over black & gold, go ahead with the Heroic Age Iron Man. If you're okay with the movie Iron Man MK 43 from Wave 2, and don't want a comic Iron Man, then you don't need it.

a2516-marvel-legends-6-inch-heroic-age-i

You also need a Spider-Man.

There's a new Spider-Man Marvel Legends wave coming this year. It will feature a pretty good looking comic SpiderMan:

SDCC_COVERAGE_HASBRO_SPIDER-MAN_MARVEL_L

For Wolverine, Cyclops and some other main X-Men characters you might try the X-Men/Jubilee wave or the Puck series which has a great masked Wolverine and Cyclops in it. I'd stick with characters you like and especially with what you can find from Hasbro since those will likely be less expensive. Depending on what you term A-list you may have to look at older Toy Biz figures for the villains, especially Spider-Man villains. Here's a list of what I'd call A-list villains and their best representations:

Red Skull: ML Infinite Series Captain America wave, easy to come by with a good head sculpt.

Abomination: ML Series 13, older perhaps harder to find but well worth it, looks great alongside Hulk or against the Avengers.

Iron Monger: ML Iron Man wave, this is a build a figure and won't come too cheap but highly worth it.

Mandarin: ML Face-Off Two Packs, very expensive, unless you have to have him I'd skip but I included him as he is Iron Man's arch nemesis.

Green Goblin: ML Series 13, the definitive Goblin and much needed for any collector with a Spider-Man.

Doctor Octopus: ML Series 8, classic look, great tentacles for posing, a must have.

Kingpin: ML Face-Off Two Packs, hard to come by, but a great figure, sometimes expensive.

Ultron: ML Iron Man wave, not great by any means but this Ultron has a good head sculpt and looks good alongside villains or against the Avengers.

Baron Zemo: ML Infinite Series Captain America wave, easy to come by, great classic Cap and Avengers foe.

Venom: ML Sinister Six box set, say what you will about this figure it's the best ML Venom to date and a must have to go with Spidey.

Loki: ML Thor the Mighty Avenger series, the best comic Loki that we have so far.

Magneto: ML Series 3 or X-Men Legends Box Set, there is a newer Magneto in the recent Jubilee wave but I still feel the earlier ones are better than that one. The newer one shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Apocalypse: ML Series 7 or ML Series 12, one's a standard carded figure the other's a build a figure, either way you probably want one for the X-Men.

Dr. Doom: ML Epic Heroes wave, easy to come by, great sculpt and paint and a must have A-list villain.

There are lists of the essential Legends in other posts by both myself and DSmith, they do discuss the line as a whole and are lengthy but will cover anything I might not have mentioned here in terms of the best representations of both heroes and villains in the line.

I agree on ALL points about the villains except two:

Magneto you chose is on the awkward first Iron Man body and that has ALWAYS been a distraction and a downfall for me. New X-Men wave classic Magneto is at least unique to this character. I love the cape and... harness? Too.

Venom: I have always found something wrong with the Venoms released, but WOW isn't the Marvel Select version amazing. He's large, but still works in scale with ML, and has multiple head and hand options for different versions in the evolution of Venom for the long-term fan. Even a transforming Eddie Brock head and a multi-head attachment that plugs into his back. Looks great in opposition to the "McFarlane Spidey" figure from the Spider-Man Classics companion line from back in the ML day.

I am not too worried about Xmen right now since the movie is at least some time away. Right now its all Avengers. I was going for the new Thor but he does not look that different from the previous ML Thor. I can get the new Hawkeye but I am torn between his classic look and the unmasked look. I am keeping the Cap and Ms Marvel from the Target 3 pack. I may wait for Iron Man from Wave 2 as I like the look. Same with Hulk. I am not yet sure about Black Widow, should I get the Winter Soldier one or wait for something better? I may have go get the entire Wave 2 just for the Thanos BAF since he is my main villain. I want to get Red Hulk and Zemo but dont want to pay retail for him, might wait till the end of the year when they have the sales. I cant seem to find a Loki that I like.

When you look for Black Widow, stay away from the ToyBiz one. Fugly! The TRU 2 pack is the best even though it's expensive by itself. You can probably win the whole pack in an ebay auction style listing for less. Plus you can choose the gray or black costume. You can get the Cap series one if you want to do a movie style.

I recently got the Target exclusive 3 pack of Captain America, Ms. Marvel and Radioactive Man. I highly recommend it because you get Captain America, and though its not the best (If you want the best, get the face off cap... you'll have to cough up quite a bit of cash for that on though) it's pretty good. And Ms. Marvel with is a great asset to an Avengers collection. Radioactive Man is good for a Avengers villains collection, so you really don't loose anything by getting this set.

BtRcHK4CcAEGj6L.jpg

I recently got the Target exclusive 3 pack of Captain America, Ms. Marvel and Radioactive Man. I highly recommend it because you get Captain America, and though its not the best (If you want the best, get the face off cap... you'll have to cough up quite a bit of cash for that on though) it's pretty good. And Ms. Marvel with is a great asset to an Avengers collection. Radioactive Man is good for a Avengers villains collection, so you really don't loose anything by getting this set.

BtRcHK4CcAEGj6L.jpg

I did get this set at target for 25 bucks...the Radioactive Man gave me the idea of doing an Avengers vs Masters of Evil theme for my collection. So went ahead and grabbed a Zemo that was peg warming at my TRU. I would still get Thanos because he is my #1 Marvel Villain. I might do a Avengers and MoE unite to fight the all powerful Thanos when all is said and done!!!

I'd say the easiest way to break into Legends is to just start with the current version of the series "infinite." Only a year into it and most figures are still around retail pricing. I wouldn't worry about the older stuff so much as most of the popular characters will come out in this line and probably retooled better.

Essential Masters of Evil?

I'd go with:

Baron Helmut Zemo (Captain America wave)

Radioactive Man (Target 3pack)

Tiger Shark (upcoming Ant-Man wave)

Blizzard (upcoming Avengers Wave 3)

Klaw (Return of ML Wave 1)

Crimson Dynamo (Iron Man wave, a few years ago)

Moonstone (Thunderbolts boxed set)

Boomerang (Spider-Man wave 1)

Constrictor (Return of ML wave 1)

Songbird (produced, but still unreleased/unscheduled)

Major members, Not yet produced:

Grey Gargoyle

Whirlwind

Enchantress

Executioner

Beetle (classic)

Other members that were produced as figures but less frequently involved with the Masters of Evil:

Black Knight

Ultron

Wonder Man

Baron Heinrich Zemo

Scorpion

Absorbing Man

Doctor Octopus

The Wrecking Crew