Get Over it Marvel/Disney

monron999

Okay, so another Comicon has come & gone with virtually no mutant representation from Marvel or Hasbro. At this point, we as fans have to be thinking WTF. I get it. We all get it. Marvel, you'really sore that Fox still has the X-Men/mutant license & not only do they refuse to relinquish it back to you but they don't even wanna play ball with you & merge with the MCU like Sony & Spider-Man. It is frustrating to us fans as well. We all wanna see Wolverine fighting with or next to Captain America & an A vs. X movie being done before all the current actors get to old would be a fanboy's wet dream. It doesn't look like thats gonna happen so it's upsetting, but at heart we'really all still fans, of The Avengers, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the entire freakin Marvel freakin Uni-freakin-verse. GIVE US A DAN BREAK & GROW THE HELL UP.

I've been a fan Marvel for a long time & a fan of comics, in general, for a very long time. I'm old enough to remember a time when The X-Men & its thousands of spinoffs were the work horse that kept Marvel, and probably the industry as a whole, afloat. Without levity, they were literally having trouble giving Captain America & Thor comics away. That was before the X-Men movie, before Hugh Jackman hit the scene, before Marvel had enough capital to build it's own movie production. If you will recall Fox was also taking a huge chance with the X-Men. Superhero movies had a bad track record up to that point. Arguments could be made for Superman & Batman franchises, but Marvel movies had no shining moments up to that point. Fox took that gamble, probably at a bargain basement price, I'm guessing & actually poured some money into it and came out with a damn good product that put Marvel on the movie map, opening the door for Spider-Man, The Avengers & countless indie franchises. Let's not forget that Disney wanted nothing to do with Marvel until it was a polished, pretty gold piece they could exploit.

What about Hasbro? They also paid quite a penny for the Marvel Comics license, for the use of the entire Marvel Universe. We know they're in good with Marvel & there's a mutual respect & everything's all glitter & unicorns, but what the hell does Marvel's feud with Fox have to do with Hasbro producing X-Men product? As far as I know the X-Men still have huge fan base, despite Marvel's attempts to make them irrelevant. Okay, so they don't wanna piss Marvel off by working with fox, that's fine, don't produce any movie figures. There's still an enormous mutant roster that fall under the marvel license. I personally couldn't care less if they ever make another X-Men movie figure again. Distinguish them from the movie. Produce them under the Marvel brand. Call them Marvel's Havok, Marvel's Dazzler, Marvel's freakin Rogue. Remember Rogue, the insanely popular X-Man favorite who hasn't had a decent single card representation since the ridiculously under produced Xtreme Rogue? Hell, call the entire line Marvel's X-Men. What's the deal Hasbro? When you bought the Marvel license, we know you didn't bargain for a modified roster, why do you continue to fight Marvel's fight? Shartimus' interview with Dwight Stall confirmed that they have rights to them, but what Shartimus failed to ask is when & where we can expect to see them show up again.

We know Hasbro & Marvel read these forums. They listen sometimes, more so Hasbro as of late. We gotta let them know what they're doing is not cool & let them know X-Men are as "Big Bucket" as the rest of them & the box office numbers support that. It's time that we put our support behind the X-Men & let Hasbro know what we want.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude if you want to blame anyone it should be fox. they are refusing outright to work with Marvel/Disney. at least Sony will work out a deal with them one that brought Spidey into the MCU, while still keeping liscense. Fox is basically saying, "No those are our now go away".

dude if you want to blame anyone it should be fox. they are refusing outright to work with Marvel/Disney. at least Sony will work out a deal with them one that brought Spidey into the MCU, while still keeping liscense. Fox is basically saying, "No those are our now go away.

Marvel sold them the rights in the first place. I blame Marvel.

dude if you want to blame anyone it should be fox. they are refusing outright to work with Marvel/Disney. at least Sony will work out a deal with them one that brought Spidey into the MCU, while still keeping liscense. Fox is basically saying, "No those are our now go away.

they only sold them the rights because they had no studio of their own at the time. They wanted to make their comic into movies but couldn't so they had to liscense off their works. now that they can make their own movies they want their property back but Fox won't give it back.

Exactly, if Marvel jumped into a deal with Fox without any foresight to the future, that's on them. I dont think anyone coulda predicted how well X-Men was going to do. Marvel will deny it till the end of time, but the X-Men movie was the springboard that made the MCU & Marvel Studios even possible. Like I said, Fox was taking a gamble as well. It's not like Fox had the intention of screwing Marvel in the future, they're just making the most out of their investment. Just like Disney is with pretty much everything they do

If Hasbro went against them then I am sure Marvel would yank their license away from them when its up. I don't know if Hasbro could get into any legal trouble or not if they ignored Marvel and did X-Men related figures. I am not a lawyer. Avengers is pretty hot right now so I imagine Hasbro will play ball.

they only sold them the rights because they had no studio of their own at the time. They wanted to make their comic into movies but couldn't so they had to liscense off their works. now that they can make their own movies they want their property back but Fox won't give it back.

I am sorry but thats how things work. Its life, they made the deal and now they are going to have to live with it.

That's the thing. Your making my argument. Hasbro paid good money to use Marvel's properties. I'm sure Marvel is holding it over their heads that they could grant the license to another toy company when it comes back up for renegotiations, but that's BS. I'm sure it's more Disney than Marvel. They already "forbid" Hasbro buying DreamWorks Studios last year. I feel like the old Marvel woulda taken the fans into consideration. The new Marvel's acting like the X-Men ain't s#!+ & they got Hasbro drinking the Kool-Aid. The comics sales & box office numbers are very comparable. Is anyone here not gonna see the next X-Men, Wolverine or Deadpool movies because of this feud. Am I the only one here that's afraid were not gonna see a new Deadpool or Psylocke figure using the new molds? How much more is Hasbro gonna bow down at Disney's feet?

It's to the point 5his thing has become a feud! Civil War comes out the beginning of May. Apocalypse comes out May 28. A blatant attempt to clash directly with Disney/Paramount/Marvel. Only reason they couldn't get any sooner is because the prior weekend slots were taken up.

Fine, throw Avengers Legends next to X-Men Legends, right there on the same damn store shelf. Let the fans vote with their dollars. I'm buying the X-Men wave with the Colossus Juggernaut BAF & I'm buying the Avengers wave with the Mr. Hyde BAF. You know why they won't do that? Because Marvel is afraid of what the answer may be.

I approve of your post monron!

I think what he was trying to say was not necessarily to put the blame on one party. After all, in any story, there are always at least two sides to be heard. And as the inconclusive online feuds between fans have suggested, each side is as viable as the other.

However, what's at stake here is the fans' disappointment. It's classic clash of the titans. People of power (in this case, company goliaths) vie for supremacy/ownership, the commoners end up losing the most.

Is Disney/Marvel really willing to sacrifice the 80/90s fans of the X-Men. The past half decade, there is a growing "nostalgic trend", where remakes of popular shows/properties from the 80s-90s have been resurfacing. Ghostbusters, TMNT, Reboot, etc. Generation X has spoken and is driving the economy now (not fully, but getting there), and the easiest way to leech money off them is to cater to their nostalgic roots... given how they were raised compared to their forefathers.

On the other hand, is Fox willing to take the same gamble? Still, the fans who want the merchandise are getting a drought. But if they shared their universe with Marvel's, what is at stake for them? Do they have more to lose and is that why they do not play ball?

Even though Dwight's mentioned that there is no official embargo on the X-Men and F4, the product lines speak for themselves.

All I see are corporate monoliths unwilling to move forward.

I agree with this post 100%.

First of all it is just a shitty thing to do to the fans. Almost as insulting as what they are doing with the former Marvel Universe line.

Second, I just don't get it. They could make tons of money off mutant figures and I don't think it would really make that many more people go and see the FOX movies. It is a real shame.

I also hope F4 flops and Fox gives up. I always enjoyed A:EMH when the Avengers would call FF for help and they'd be off exploring except for Ben.

However I'm probably going to see Deadpool in the theatres, so there's that.

As far as merch, I get it. Marvel has hand and they're using it. I don't blame them. I grew up with X-Men in the Outback and Inferno and stuff. Those things are important to me. I wish there were more figures, but I'm okay with the slow trickle.

At the end of the day it's all about money. We the fans love our Xmen and would buy almost everything they put out in a heartbeat. But as far as merchandise it's not a feud between studios that's causing the slack. The trends have shifted overall and the Avengers and related characters have been ruling the big and small screens since the first movie and Hasbro's trying to cash in on that. There's a whole new audience of younger people who didn't know of them before then. The same happened with the Xmen when those movies came out and shot Wolverine and Jackman to the top. Wolverine was everywhere and in almost every book. People who never read comics knew who he was all of a sudden. How many of his figures did we get and how many on here complained about his over exposure in plastic. Now it's swung towards Iron man and Cap. It's just the hot property now. I've been in stores and little kids are almost catching up with the scalpers as far as ferocity and cutthroat behavior. really wanted to smack one when he stepped in front of me and grabbed the last Daredevil! lol Remember we still have NYCC and I'm sure just like last year with the movie we'll probably get something like an exclusive wave or something. Don't count on Deadpool getting too much though. He's not "kid friendly" or at least not supposed to be. lol. Hard rated R movie.

As far as the FF goes, if this movie flops the movie rights will back to Disney and Marvel Studios faster than Spider Man after Sony f***ed up the franchise trying to reboot it after Toby and Sam Raimi told them where to stick it. That's one reason why I guess Hasbro isn't trying to do much with this FF reboot. Remember the last FF movie even if you're trying like me to forget. There might be some hidden prototypes waiting around to see what this movie does. But as long as the X franchise is doing well the movie rights will stay with them. Those characters do appear on the small screen in the Disney/Marvel animated universes though. Of course outside of the SHS it's been mostly who else? Wolverine! But remember the type of violence in a Wolverine or Deadpool movie is not going to be seen under a Disney banner with a R rating. Can you picture "Disney's Wolverine rated R." much less Deadpool. Can you imagine the soccer moms' outcry and shock? Omg how could Disney do this to my child?! That's why even though they own them only the Marvel logo is seen at the beginning of those flicks. They aren't really trying to get those movie rights. Us fans would've been in an uproar if those two weren't blasting, slashing and gutting their way through some bad guys and saying the movies were too tame. Unfortunately Wolverine and the Xmen go hand in hand. I'll take what i can get right now until they make a big resurgence to the masses outside of us die hards. Just hope the new movie does well considering none of the cast from the first 3 movies including Jackman are set to appear.

You need to calm down. Marvel Comics is not trying to make the X-Men irrelevant. If they are, they are being fricking stupid. The X-Men just teamed-up with the Guardians of the Galaxy (aka Marvel Studios' hottest propiety right now) for the Guardians of the X-Men & X-Men: Black Vortex event, not to mention last year they shared with the Avengers the Avengers & X-Men: AXIS event. For Secret Wars, there are a literal dozen of X-Men-related titles. And for All-New All-Different Marvel there are going to be five X-Men-related titles (and there are still 18 more titles to be revealed, considering they mentioned there would be 66 new titles), not to mention Deadpool will have his own series and share an ongoing title with Spider-Man (aka Marvel Studios' most recently acquired character).

The same applies to gaming: X-Men-related characters have appeared in numerous video games including Marvel Heroes 2015 (with Magneto and Iceman being two of the most recently released characters), Marvel Contest of Champions (with Magneto being one of the most recently released characters), Marvel: Avengers Alliance, Marvel Pinball, Marvel: War of Heroes, and Marvel: Puzzle Quest.

Last year there was an entire Marvel Legends wave dedicated to the X-Men (in addition to 2013's Wolverine-themed wave). From 2015's waves, Hasbro couldn't use X-Men figures in three different waves, not because of some dumb feud but because those waves promoted figures from Marvel Studios' propieties, they couldn't use X-Men figures legally (this is the same reason why the Red Onslaught figure from next year can't come with an Onslaught Magneto-esque head). And the rest of 2015's waves have been Spider-Man-related, so there's no reason to put mutants in there. Also, famous X-Woman Magik was featured in a Doctor Strange set.

I don't collect Marvel Universe, but if I recall correctly, a Beast figure and a Bishop figure were made this year. And other figures like the Colossus/Juggernaut and Northstar were showcased this SDCC, so it's not like they're hiding them. And apparently an Emma Frost and a Deadpool figure will be released in Wave 3.

Let's also take a look at other merchandise (specially during last weekend's SDCC): Gentle Giant showcased two X-Men-related collectibles, a Magneto and a Deadpool retro-style figures. Kotobukiya showcased an entire X-Men-themed line of statues and a Lady Deadpool. Diamond Select Toys showcased a Wolverine statue, a zombie Sabretooth figure, a Mego-style Deadpool figure, Minimates that include Apocalypse, Sabretooth, Dazzler and zombie Pyro. And finally, Sideshow showcased a Wolverine and a Sabretooth statue. Heck, even one of the SDCC merch was a Deadpool Dorbz from Hikari.

So, please. C'mon.

I agree that the X-Men had their time in the sun. I just don't believe the suns setting on them just yet. They still have plenty of relevency. I think Marvel the comic company still has respect for the X-Men & understand Marvel is the house Xavier helped build. I just don't think Marvel the movie studio or Disney have quite that much respect for them. As Vicious Maturity said in an earlier comment, the lack of X-Products speak for themselves.

As far as the legalities goes, some of those things are true, but the restrictions as to what properties they can or can't use lie within ownership of the comic properties & the movie properties. True, you can't mix a movie based Wolverine into an Age of Ultron movie wave but you can throw a comic based Wolverine into it because Marvel still owns the Wolverine character. I imagine Fox could try & pursue legal action against that but having virtually no chance winning it would make it pointless. Especially knowing Wolverine & most of the comic based X-Men have had stints as members of the Avengers & the comic based Wolverine had a pivotal role in the comic based Age of Ultron story arch. To over simplify, if the figure doesn't look like Hugh Jackman or is produced in a way that would make one perceive it to be the character as portrayed by Hugh Jackman in any of the movies, they don't have a damn thing to worry about. That's the entire reason they make that specific distinction between the comic & cinematic universes. When they don't have a good answer for the questions the fans ask they just start to muddy the waters with all the legal mumbo jumbo hoping most people will just accept it as fact & shut up.

As bad a deal as Marvel thinks they made with Fox over the movie rights, there no way in hell they ever would have jeopardized the comic rights to them or any of their properties.

What we are trying to say is that it's not a feud! Marvel owns these characters and can do what they want with them. Just not make MOVIES with them or action figures with the actors' likeness. Anything else as far as comics it's purely up to them and Hasbro! See Magik's release or last summers' Xmen line Nothing to do with Fox. Any X character's appearance in cartoons on DisneyXD. So chill! Like I said it's about the money makers right now. If this upcoming movie is big enough you can guarantee something in figures. Also remember these other characters have cartoons to help push them and vice versa. Just like the Xmen did for so long. Marvel still makes money off of those movies regardless that's why their name is at the beginning and end credits no matter what studio does them. Fox still has to pay something to use them in the movies anyway. As long as the movies make money, Marvel who is owned by Disney is still getting a kickback. The next Spider Man movies are even still going to be financed by Sony with final creative say so. It's about money for everybody. The Xmen are not dead or being totally ignored and these movie rights have nothing to do with comic based figures being put out. Raise hell with Hasbro and Marvel themselves. Not Fox.

at the end of the day it's not about Hasbro, Fox, Marvel, Disney or Sony. it not even about the Fandom. it's about 2 things. Marketing and Money. At the moment the MCU is bigger then anything that Fox or Sony could put out. At least with the MCU they try and get movie for other characters out. Fox has been using the same character the whole time. Even with Deadpool and Gambit, they will still use character from the X-men movie. Common Folk are bored of them. The MCU is even bringing Ant-man movie out a character that no one knew about outside the fandom. With the Netflix series being huge as well. Like people have said people tired of the X-men and you know it will happen to the Avengers eventually to, but at least they try and refresh the MCU by bring in new characters. Hasbro will market it toward the big money makers.

The MCU is a big money maker and easily marketable and Sellable to children. X-men are not as big (their big but way behind MCU).

Now some one might say that the Fandom could carry the X-men line. but is simply not true. as much as we wish it, at the end of the day, these are toys marketed to children. While the fandom is a big part of sale, Hasbro has to keep doing what it has been doing long before it got the Liscense and sell toys to children. The only way they can keep the fandom quiet is marketing the movie while still giving us Comic book characters.

So really, if you think about it, Fox marketing of these movie is pretty bad at the moment. When they started everyone was like "OH the X-men!! " now they are like "oh the x-men. ok".

I mean just look at mattel and Batman VS Superman, they don't even have a toyline for the movie.

Both companies are just being very petty & tiny (to quote Thor) right now & the fans are caught in the fray. Fox refuses to work with Marvel because one could assume they think they were the first ones who took the greatest risk. Marvel did benefit from that risk and will continue to benefit from future success of Fox's Marvel films, so they'really feeling they are getting the short end of the stick by cutting Marvel even more into the agreement. Marvel, on the other hand, is at a point that they don't want to promote X-Men outside the comic realm to give Fox any momentum or any new source material. Thats why any new X-Men story archs will contain characters & parts of the Marvel Universe that Fox has no rights to. They want the movies to fail so Fox might be more open to relinquishing the rights back to Marvel.

I do tend to side with Fox, because Marvel knew the deal when they sold the movie rights & now they're coming off like a child who wants his toy back. On the other hand, if Fox had a brain in their skull right now would be the chance to reconsider. Both the Wolverine & the second X-Men trilogy are coming to an end. Hugh Jackman has confirmed that he will retire from the Wolverine role. Fox's next big projects, Deadpool & Gambit could be tweaked to be completely independent of previous movie appearances. Remember, Deadpool was headless last time we saw him & Gambit, who will be played by Chaning Tatum, was being played by a horrible actor who couldn't pull off a Cajun accent. Yeah, I know his name, but who cares? It could be time for a complete X-Men reboot. Wolverine could be recast by someone like, say....Tom Hardy (come on guys, can I get a show of hands here? Kinda short, kinda stocky) and most of the rest of the roles have already been recast by younger, up & coming, actors. They could push Rogue as the super badass she is in the comics, plenty to work with for a solo project. With good timing there might be an actual chance to have a crossover with the Infinity War & lead up to an epic A vs. X blockbuster event.

Yeah, probably a long shot by any measure but it sure would be nice wouldn't it? One thing for sure though, all us fans would be in Marvel toys euphoria.

Both companies are just being very petty & tiny (to quote Thor) right now & the fans are caught in the fray. Fox refuses to work with Marvel because one could assume they think they were the first ones who took the greatest risk. Marvel did benefit from that risk and will continue to benefit from future success of Fox's Marvel films, so they'really feeling they are getting the short end of the stick by cutting Marvel even more into the agreement. Marvel, on the other hand, is at a point that they don't want to promote X-Men outside the comic realm to give Fox any momentum or any new source material. Thats why any new X-Men story archs will contain characters & parts of the Marvel Universe that Fox has no rights to. They want the movies to fail so Fox might be more open to relinquishing the rights back to Marvel.

I do tend to side with Fox, because Marvel knew the deal when they sold the movie rights & now they're coming off like a child who wants his toy back.

That logic doesn't make sense. During the 90s, Marvel was a company in bankruptcy, they had no way to know that more than 10 years later they would be able to not only afford to make a movie, but make it profitable and turn it into a franchise and worldwide phenomenon.

Also "is at a point that they don't want to promote X-Men outside the comic realm"? Please, take a good look at this comment of mine and knock some sense into your own head. The X-Men are appearing in video games, and during SDCC they had plenty of merchandise showcased, from Kotobukiya, Diamond Select, Sideshow and Gentle Giant.