Sign in to follow this  
tarot

Official NYCC MU Discussion

the NYCC is starting tonight. so hear is the official thread for the news and discussions MU.

Just a few thing before then though (if any other mods think there should be something else please add)

1. DO NOT POST PICS OR LINK TO OTHER SITES.
    • I know we all get excited when we read something on another site but please know that this site will post news and images on the main page. You are allow to write what other sites have reported, that fine as we know we can't stop you all from doing that but don't post any pics or link. That plus our boss get really mad at us lol :P
  2. Don't not make multiple thread discussing the same thing.
    • Keep all SDCC news to this thread. If you have an opinion or even anger rant (come one we know some one will), please post it here. If we MOD see a thread like this one, it will be merged together with this one.
  3. Try and keep wishlist til after the NYCC, (Sunday or Monday).
    • We are not going to ban wishlist thread, in fact we like them, but there is really no point in make a list until we know all that is coming out. Also their will usually be the annual "Post SDCC Wishlist" Thread going up on Monday.

They're supposed to do the whole preview night tent set-up that they've had the last few years. We might get to see a new wave like we did last year, but I'm not expecting anything more than physical prototypes of the Gamora wave and maybe some 5 poa Civil War reveals. Hoping to be dead wrong though.

We should also find out which retailer is getting the exclusive comic packs.

Was that modern Mockingbird figure 6" or 3.75"? I really couldn't tell. She looked rather small. The new packaging looks interesting but why the re-branding again!!! And why with the same name to confuse people?

Was that modern Mockingbird figure 6" or 3.75"? I really couldn't tell. She looked rather small. The new packaging looks interesting but why the re-branding again!!! And why with the same name to confuse people?

to trick store into buying a new toyline even though it's the exact same toyline. oh and that's a 6'' inch mockingbird reveal last SDCC

Nothing new as I expected, but I LOVE the new card art. And I'm so glad they changed their minds on the Magneto style Onslaught head for Legends. Looks like I'll be picking up a set of those now for Onslaught.

Ugh. I am so sick of ML being so awesome and 4" being #$##. F the new packaging. Why waste money on cart art? My confuse people with the naming?

Apologies to the 6" fans.

Ugh. I am so sick of ML being so awesome and 4" being #$@#. F the new packaging. Why waste money on cart art? My confuse people with the naming?

Apologies to the 6" fans.

Right on.

Especially renaming the new brand after an existing brand. Way to make things extra confusing. It's almost like they want to hoodwink retailers into ordering the toys by mistake.

On another site, someone confirmed that the Disney Infinity team is NOT allowed to make X-Men or FF characters. Marvel says they are off the table until the rights return. Obviously things are a little different for Hasbro since they can do comic stuff but this is more confirmation that there is a soft ban in place for Fox properties. I know some people still aren't convinced.

Someone at Marvel actually said that?

There was a contest for Disney Infinity where a handful of winners got to go to the D23 Expo (the Disney fan convention) this year and they got to meet the developers and vote on a new figure for DI. They had free pick of any character owned by Disney (Peter Pan was chosen) but one of the guys that was there said they were told that X-Men and FF were not possible until Marvel/Disney got the rights back.

On another site, someone confirmed that the Disney Infinity team is NOT allowed to make X-Men or FF characters. Marvel says they are off the table until the rights return. Obviously things are a little different for Hasbro since they can do comic stuff but this is more confirmation that there is a soft ban in place for Fox properties. I know some people still aren't convinced.

I think the X-Men are still profitable and will therefore still get the occasional comic character like the upcoming ML Rogue/Onslaught.

Honestly, without the X-Men, I don't have many more figures to care to collect. A few Spidey essentials here and there, but that's really it for me. Not many Avengers I feel I must have and same for the villains. This first wave of 2016 is doing nothing for me and the lesser articulation makes me not even care to hunt this down or preorder.

That's interesting, to have the decision essentially confirmed like that. I mean, from a branding point of view it makes a certain short-sighted sort of sense. But for the manufacturers exploiting these licenses it's got to be a significant kick to the crotch to have to tamp down on their X-men and FF usage. Collecting is full of people who grew up on the X-men cartoon and the Uncanny X-men's enormously successful print run, and the FF has a collection of most of the best Marvel villains. I wonder if Disney/Marvel's aim is to pressure Fox and Sony to play ball with their creative decisions? Spider-man seems to have avoided this blacklist.

That's interesting, to have the decision essentially confirmed like that. I mean, from a branding point of view it makes a certain short-sighted sort of sense. But for the manufacturers exploiting these licenses it's got to be a significant kick to the crotch to have to tamp down on their X-men and FF usage. Collecting is full of people who grew up on the X-men cartoon and the Uncanny X-men's enormously successful print run, and the FF has a collection of most of the best Marvel villains. I wonder if Disney/Marvel's aim is to pressure Fox and Sony to play ball with their creative decisions? Spider-man seems to have avoided this blacklist.

After the last two mediocre Spider-Man films Sony is now working with Marvel Studios on future films. Supposedly Spidey will actually be in some of the upcoming Avengers movies as well as receiving yet another film reboot.

Comic collectors have already noticed that even Marvel Comics seems to be marginalizing the X-Men with their current reboot. A handful of team books and one (I believe) solo series with X-23 as the new Wolverine is apparently all the X-Men deserve right now. It doesn't help they've thrown Kitty Pryde into GotG, adult Beast into Inhumans and left Rogue and Sunspot (and Cannonball?) on various Avengers teams. Their new universe is centered around the Avengers, GotG and Spider-Man, and many of their "risky" new series are intertwined in whatever movie or TV show Marvel Studios is trying to launch or support. I get it - it's a business and that's the stuff that makes the assholes rich, but it does nothing for me. Looking on the bright side though, at least my pull list has lightened considerably.

But back to Hasbro, I expect them to tread lightly with X-characters for the next couple of years while this pissing match continues, and it's not likely to end anytime soon considering the upcoming X-Men and Deadpool movies as well as New Mutants and X-Force films in development. Marvel may eventually get FF back after its most recent fiasco but I think they're being pretty shortsighted considering the continued (albeit decreased) interest in the X-Men.

Also, is it just me or was it a bit weird how both of the last Legends X-Men waves became Diamond exclusives or had a very limited store release? All you have to do is search for an Emma Frost or Storm action figure (or the BAFs, Puck and Jubilee) to see not only how difficult they were to come by but also what terrible case assortments they were. Head scratching.

Can anyone tell how disappointed I am with Marvel and Hasbro these days? ;)

Yeah I was curious as to why Spider Man was still release able but I guess because his rights are under Sony?

Spidey is a whole different thing. The short of it from the deals is this:

When Disney bought Marvel, Sony shortly after sold back most of the merchandising rights and the tv rights to Marvel. This was to basically keep making the films.

When Fox got Fantastic Four, they got a large portion of the merchandise rights (more than half)

When Fox got X-Men, Marvel got a more equal portion of the rights (probably something like 51/49)

What that boils down to is this: Marvel dictates what gets made. Hence no FF movie or X-Men movie figures. Movie figures = split profits. Comic figures = 100% Marvel's. Why does Spidey avoid this? Because something like 75-80% of the profits go to Marvel. That's why AM2 was actually fine for Marvel but a disaster for Sony. Hasbro made a killing in Spidey toy sales but Sony barely saw most of that profit.

Fox ticked off Ike Perlmutter who controls what gets made and doesn't (most recent rumor being he's the one responsible for so little Black Widow merchandise around AOU's release). So to spite Fox, he killed ALL FF merchandise and drastically reduced the X-Men for leverage. Now that FF has bombed terribly and Feige has been reorganized under a new boss, we'll see if that changes anything. But as far as I know, Ike still controls the merchandise and he'll keep FF and X-Men in limbo until Fox caves (which may be never or may be sooner than we expect given how a major reason for a blockbuster like the FF or X-Men is the merchandise)