2-Packs or Deluxe Line?

tarot

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have?

• 2-packs
    • Deluxe line
    • Neither Singles for me

now here a question that might start up a conversation. Imagine this.

"Hasbro has said to the fans that they are planning a new line. However they also said that they only have enough budget for one of them. They ask the fans which would you rather have, 2-packs or Deluxe figure.You can't have both (for now)"

I'm curious to see what the outcome will be.

for me I'm leaning towards the 2-pack, simply cause, hey 2 figures (granted one will probably be a repack). I mean the Deluxe line would be awesome with it's bike, armouries, changeable parts but at the end of the day you probably be putting most of it in storage and not displaying it with the figure right? unless you like having guns throw all over the place. At least we the 2-pack you get 2 figures, one usually a repack or repaint (IE MK 42 Iron Man) and a new figure (War Machine comic book version) and you probably he some guns and changeable parts. so the 2-packs would be better money.

I'd definitely go more for deluxe line. I think we're getting to the point where there are certain characters who cannot be done to their full potential based on the standard Hasbro has set for their single carded. Characters like Kamala Khan, Reed Richards, Blastaar, Strong Guy, Comic Hulk, even the recent Venom plus the Giant Man, Abomination, and Onslaught BAFS all seem to require larger sculpts or accessories than what the single carded figures allow for. I would happily shell out more money for larger figures/figures with lots of specific accessories.

I've always like the two pack idea, that way they can put a popular character in with a more obscure character. Or perhaps two less popular characters that haven't seen release yet. Either way it gets more figures out there.

I'd be a bit worried about a deluxe line at retail, considering how hard it is to get certain stores *cough* Walmart, to cycle in the new waves, that deluxe figures would either not get picked up, or not be on store shelves to meet with collector demand. If it were a retailer exclusive, like e-tailers only or through comic shops, that limited distribution would be crippling as well. I don't want it to sound like I'm against a deluxe line, I'd love any new elements to the Legends line, I'm just worried about how such a thing would get into the average collector's hands.

I'm fond of two-packs. Back in the old days when I was a whee lil' kid, it was a delight to get two complementary action figures in the same package, considering quality action figures were kinda expensive per se, villain action figures were pretty rare, and it was usual to me for single carded figures from a certain collection to remain single (i.e. without any complementary figure) in my action figure toy collection (I'm talking about when I was a kid, so they were still toys at this point).

From a more mature perspective, 2-packs can always be a good starting point for any collection. It was a two-pack what propelled me to collect Spider-Man figures, that one Spider-Man: Origins two-pack that featured the movie versions of Spider-Man and Dock Ock. If only I hadn't still been a kid, they would be in a much better condition. Even if the figures in a 2-pack are repacks, they can help a rookie collector, or one who can't get their hands on every single figure they wish they could (that's me in the second case).

Unless Hasbro did something like their 2010 Marvel Legends two-packs, I highly doubt we would get any 2-packs that would be 100% worth it. Like you mentioned, a repack (or repaint) would most likely always be present. Taking into account Hasbro's budget cuts, I'm not sure we would even get as many accessories as those 2010 Marvel Legends did. However, deeming repacks a bad thing ignores those collectors whose first version of that figure is the repack and not the original, as I mentioned above. So yeah, repacks/repaints aren't a bad thing, unless they're a poor quality repack/repaint. Like Hasbro pretending a repained movie Iron Patriot is acceptable as a MK XXVII Iron Man when the only aspect they share is a helmet. They don't even have the same unibeam shape! Why do you even add the shoulder gun? Disco doesn't have one! You could even have saved plastic by caring a little bit more! /endrant

Deluxe figures are my jam. Getting action figures with extra accesories is an awesome concept to me. When I was younger I always played with the idea of Hasbro making some kind of deluxe version of Spider-Man which came with a lot of webbing accesories, or a Hulk figure with rubble and other property damage accesories. The extra accessories aren't as much for displaying the figure with all of them, but that they provide a lot of ways to display the action figure they came with. Take a look at Figma's Iron Man MK VII or Amazing Spider-Man 2 Spider-Man figures. You won't display them with all of the accessories, but you can swap and change and find new ways to display the figure. There's a difference between the only option for displaying a figure being only the pose, and the options being the pose, alternate hands (open, closed, clutching), unmasked head, effects, misc accesories, battle damaged parts, etc. It would be really hard to get bored with a figure that allows for so many display options.

While both ideas are good. I think in the end deluxe figures win.

It can be argued that two-packs could open the way for the release of figures that wouldn't be released unless they came together with a more well-known character, but taking into account the type of characters that have already been released over the years with a BAF piece being enough incentive to get people to buy them, it doesn't seem like a relevant or decisive factor. Deluxe figures simply don't have a place in regular waves, whereas the two halves of a two pack most certainly do.

I just ponder on the possibility of a deluxe Model-Prime Armor Iron Man with interchangeable parts in a similar manner to (or even greater than) this variant cover and I start feeling my mouth drool.

I hate you for that question Tarot! Such a great one. As you know, since I campaign against redo's in favor of more figures, my stance is usually clear. Not this time however. I think I'm leaning towards deluxe figures mainly because of what Updog stated. It would be great to have wings with a Sam Cap, or a bike with Ghost Rider or metal objects, effects and stands for Magneto.

I hate you for that question Tarot! Such a great one. As you know, since I campaign against redo's in favor of more figures, my stance is usually clear. Not this time however. I think I'm leaning towards deluxe figures mainly because of what Updog stated. It would be great to have wings with a Sam Cap, or a bike with Ghost Rider or metal objects, effects and stands for Magneto.

Mwahahaha!! My Job is complete.

that being said, what is your stance if the redoes are done in a Different costume like the Cap Brit/Wonder-man or the upcoming Cable/Deadpool?

I think that's where I've failed to be clear about. I don't consider the same characters in different costumes/uniforms/armor as redo's (the various Iron Man armors for example), just when it's the same guys in the same costumes (symbiote Spider-Man is the greatest example because so many people want another one simply because the previous doesn't have ankle rockers or they missed out). I believe they're wastes of slots that can be devoted to new characters or at least updated versions of past characters.

Deluxe Line for sure! The obvious MsMarvel and Mr. Fantastic have already been mentioned. Remember that movie Mr. Fantastic from the first movie wave? he came with enough peices to triple his size in stretched out form, to this day that is my go to mr fantastic figure it's just so well done. now take it further, Ghost Rider Bike, Modular Armor Iron Man, Falcon Wings. Apocalypse with a huge pile of interchangeable parts. Maybe even get weird with it and make a shape changer pack, with a Morph or mystique figure with a huge amount of part to change them into other characters. I just think there is a LOT of potential with a deluxe line.

I as well think I'd go for the deluxe line. I think of figures like Sam Cap. Give me the wings. Or Iceman for example. How about an ice slide? Or an ice beam? Or Ghost Rider. How can you have him with out a chain or motorcycle? I wouldn't pack those things away they'd be crucial parts of my displayed figures. I think about what DC is doing with their accessories packs. Do something like that. Add stuff that didn't come with other figures that should have and have a new figure in the box. Or larger figure with these items in the box as well. Tombstone fig with different spiderman items. Or a new sentinel with Xmen items that can be used with figures