Official SDCC 2016 ML Discussion

tarot

I think DSmith is right. i also see all the popping veins on the cyclops. it seems 99% certain that is is Bucky Cap.

Once again...ALL. NEW. SCULPT! This is confirmed by Dwight Stall (Head of design dept) and Tony Cololla. One of the lead designers. I conversed with them on a daily basis every day thruout the con. To continue on with this notion of any revealed figure is that I've reported as having an all new sculpt is still sporting the Bucky Cap or Grim Reaper molds is merely an exercise in not wanting to be wrong. I'm interested in finding out if all the doubters will come back here and admit they're wrong when they see for themselves. I'm 99% certain the answer is NO!

Then they're just playing semantics with you. The mold is clearly 80 to 90% Bucky mold with the new parts being the boots, hands, head and possibly some other minor modifications. So yes & no. It's technically a new sculpt as a whole, but majority an exhisting. I don't care, either way. It's awesome & I will add it to my collection as we all will. Not sure why it's such a sore spot but please allow me in advance to admit that I was wrong if it turns out to be such.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to say that although it started on a low (for me at least) this SDCC really shaped up by the end. Major Victory and Darkhawk were definite standouts from the GotG wave for me, especially since the Major can fit either GotG team technically, and Darkhawk, well is FREAKING Darkhawk! Not a bad thing to say about the X-Men wave, I for one am happy with Colossus, being a fan of the character and the Toybiz one I like the Utopia costume for this one. Jackal is finally revealed, and he is amazing...but hey if anyone has ever glanced at my wishlists over the past years on this site you know what my favorite con reveal was...MARY JANE is happening!!! I can finally retire my custom and I don't have to make a custom from Jessica Jones, double win! Add a Stegron and Morlun in and what do you know, that Spidey collection might finally be complete.

Rukkdeez I personally have no issue admitting I'm wrong... If I am. Again, I don't doubt that you believe what you're telling us, and I'm not calling Dwight a liar either... Just going off what my eyes are telling me.

I know we've ALL seen Bucky Cap enough in all his reuses since 2012 to recognize his tiny feet and bulging vein at his right pectoral muscle. I find it hard to believe that they started from the ground up and replicated all these details when just the augmentations of pouches and straps would have sufficed, and saved cost, since every Cyclops in recent years has also used the Bucky Cap mold.

It's really pointless to argue about it, but I'm just looking at pics, and consistently parroting what you were told insisting you're not wrong when my eyes tell me I'm not wrong basically puts us in the same boat/on equal footing, whatever you want to call it. I'm over the disagreement but... Looks like Bucky Cap to me! 👌🏼

I think DSmith is right. i also see all the popping veins on the cyclops. it seems 99% certain that is is Bucky Cap.

Once again...ALL. NEW. SCULPT! This is confirmed by Dwight Stall (Head of design dept) and Tony Cololla. One of the lead designers. I conversed with them on a daily basis every day thruout the con. To continue on with this notion of any revealed figure is that I've reported as having an all new sculpt is still sporting the Bucky Cap or Grim Reaper molds is merely an exercise in not wanting to be wrong. I'm interested in finding out if all the doubters will come back here and admit they're wrong when they see for themselves. I'm 99% certain the answer is NO!
Then they're just playing semantics with you. The mold is clearly 80 to 90% Bucky mold with the new parts being the boots, hands, head and possibly some other minor modifications. So yes & no. It's technically a new sculpt as a whole, but majority an exhisting. I don't care, either way. It's awesome & I will add it to my collection as we all will. Not sure why it's such a sore spot but please allow me in advance to admit that I was wrong if it turns out to be such.

1st let me say "thank you" for owning it in advance However, there were no "semantics" involved. This is a Dwight Stall quote, not paraphrase...QUOTE: "This is a 100% new sculpt". He ALSO said at the panel "We've used the Bucky Cap mold a lot and rather than use it another 8 or 9 times, it was time to come up with a new. Sculpt". Someone other than myself asked "all new"? Dwight responded "top to bottom". I don't know how much more any nay sayers need. To continue is to call them (and to some extent ME) liars. To which I ask; to what end?! What would it serve to lie? As soon as the figures are released, everyone would know and he'd get slammed for lying!

As for why it's a sore spot for me, it's because people come online and think they can suddenly become infallible and are always right, and when proven wrong, they would rather "dig in" and continue disputing or not admit it. For the past 4 days, I've been GRILLING the Hasbro team AND reporting my findings right here. For 4 days, I've had people disputing what I said because of hunches and mistaken beliefs, even to the extent of giving me percentages of how right they think they are when they're 100% WRONG! Facts trump hunches and beliefs EVERY TIME no matte how infallible someone thinks they are.

But I digress. Rant over. YOU my friend did indeed own yours and for that I'm grateful.

Rukkdeez I personally have no issue admitting I'm wrong... If I am. Again, I don't doubt that you believe what you're telling us, and I'm not calling Dwight a liar either... Just going off what my eyes are telling me.

I know we've ALL seen Bucky Cap enough in all his reuses since 2012 to recognize his tiny feet and bulging vein at his right pectoral muscle. I find it hard to believe that they started from the ground up and replicated all these details when just the augmentations of pouches and straps would have sufficed, and saved cost, since every Cyclops in recent years has also used the Bucky Cap mold.

It's really pointless to argue about it, but I'm just looking at pics, and consistently parroting what you were told insisting you're not wrong when my eyes tell me I'm not wrong basically puts us in the same boat/on equal footing, whatever you want to call it. I'm over the disagreement but... Looks like Bucky Cap to me!

And I can understand your point of view. You're looking at photos, I got that, but what all of you have to understand is I saw the real thing (s). Furthermore I've seen them next to Bucky Caps along the same wall. Remember I'm a collector too and can definitely tell see the differences, and there are. For one, the new mold, while of similar dimensions is more muscular (I saw this for myself and when I pointed this out to Tony, he said "good eye'. This was also stated at the panel). So as I stated previously, I understand you all simply have photos to go off of, but I, unlike most of you had the real thing in front of me PLUS the info literally straight from the horses mouth (s). We do agree on one thing. This debate has gone on long enough.

OK now it's time to chime in.

Dr. Strange Wave

• Comic Dr. Strange I think is a wasted slot. This is the 3rd time that we would be receiving that character and 2 in the same wave.
  • Dr Voodoo - good for a wide release. I kind of wish they'd given us the other head from last years SDCC mystic set as an alternate
  • movie Dr. Strange - pretty good
  • movie Baron Mordo - probably one of the best human to movie likenesses. I think I'll be getting this and using as my default Mordo. They'll probably change his comic costume to match that
  • Nico - I'm loving this figure. Team A-Force. The removable arms will really open up possibilities in the future.
  • Iron Fist- that new Pizza-Spidey bulk was a perfect addition.

Spider-man wave 6

• Spider-man (Symbiote/Black Suit) - If it is that shiny, it will be perfect
  • Spider-man 2099 (All-New, All-Different) - love the costume
  • Spider-UK - I take it we're gonna evntually get every Spider-Verse character
  • Jackal - Finally one of my wishlist crossed off. He looks terrific
  • Green Goblin (Classic) - We all knew this was coming, but does he replace TB?
  • Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) - YEEESSSSS!!

GOTG

• Angela
  • Kid Nova (Sam Alexander)
  • Darkhawk
  • Major Victory (Vance Astro)
  • Titus - He and Darkhawk are the only characters I'm really interested in from this wave

X-men

• Dazzler - Mic, disco ball jewelry, skates. It would be so awesome if her skates were removable, but I'll get either way. She's gonna sell out fast
  • Sunfire (Classic) - Interesting choice, looks great however I may pass
  • Polaris - all of Magento's children now accounted for. We will probably be getting that movie Quicksilver soon
  • Colossus - I don't think that this tops the TB, so I'm definitely passing
  • Cyclops - I'm happy for those that will be getting him. I think I want an X-Factor Cyke next.
  • Warlock DAYUMMM!! He looks great. However, very interesting that Warlock has come before Cannonball, Sunspot, Moonstar,

Reveals They are listening to the fans

• Jessica Jones (Netflix series) - Bring on the MCU Netflix. We need another Luke Cage
  • Punisher (Netflix series)
  • Spectrum (Monica Rambeau) - A want of mine since forever
  • Mary-Jane Watson - ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!
  • Invisible Woman and HERBIE - Fantastic 4 is coming. It's gonna be interesting to see how they do Mr. Fantastic. Removable arms? Iceman will be retooled to make Torch.

What is up with that Tombstone? Was the 6' or 3.75"? I need to know.

Dr. Strange Wave

• Comic Dr. Strange I think is a wasted slot. This is the 3rd time that we would be receiving that character and 2 in the same wave.
  • Dr Voodoo - good for a wide release. I kind of wish they'd given us the other head from last years SDCC mystic set as an alternate
  • movie Baron Mordo - probably one of the best human to movie likenesses. I think I'll be getting this and using as my default Mordo. They'll probably change his comic costume to match that
  • Nico - I'm loving this figure. Team A-Force. The removable arms will really open up possibilities in the future.

Spider-man wave 6

GOTG

• Angela
  • Darkhawk
  • Titus - He and Darkhawk are the only characters I'm really interested in from this wave
X-men

• Dazzler - Mic, disco ball jewelry, skates. It would be so awesome if her skates were removable, but I'll get either way. She's gonna sell out fast
  • Polaris - all of Magento's children now accounted for. We will probably be getting that movie Quicksilver soon
  • Cyclops - I'm happy for those that will be getting him. I think I want an X-Factor Cyke next.
  • Warlock DAYUMMM!! He looks great. However, very interesting that Warlock has come before Cannonball, Sunspot, Moonstar,

• Jessica Jones (Netflix series) - Bring on the MCU Netflix. We need another Luke Cage
  • Invisible Woman and HERBIE - Fantastic 4 is coming. It's gonna be interesting to see how they do Mr. Fantastic. Removable arms? Iceman will be retooled to make Torch.

Mark this day down! You're the 1st person to demonstrate interest in Titus!

Considering Polaris is his only child, it made it easy!

Tombstone is 3.75".

Dr. Strange Wave

Spider-man wave 6

GOTG

• Angela
  • Darkhawk
X-men

Mark this day down! You're the 1st person to demonstrate interest in Titus!

Considering Polaris is his only child, it made it easy!

Tombstone is 3.75".

Until they retcon that again. For those who don't know what we mean read axis and uncanny avengers

When the raft goes live on HTS, what time of day is it usually? Should I be checking around midnight?

I think it just depends but we still don't even know what day its going to be correct? I really wish they would tell us, I don't know about you guys but I need advanced warning!

When the raft goes live on HTS, what time of day is it usually? Should I be checking around midnight?

I think it just depends but we still don't even know what day its going to be correct? I really wish they would tell us, I don't know about you guys but I need advanced warning!

Everyone does my friend. When these things go up, the majority of the time they're gone within minutes!

Lol. It was a freaking madhouse last year, even tho they gave us plenty of notice. The website was soooooo freaking slow everyone was wondering if it went down. I don't forsee it being any different this year.

Aside from that I do have an issue with the Polaris figure. Overall I'm thrilled that we're getting one at all but what's the deal with the reuse of the Scarlet Witch head? I'm holding out the figure shown here was only as a placeholder for representation while they iron out the final design. I can't believe after all the fan demand for this figure they would hose us like that. For the most part, as fans I think we agree that the reuse and retooling of parts is necessary as a cost saving method and we all understand and are cool with it as long as we get pretty accurate head sculpts. That's all we really ask for and Hasbro can have our money. From my recollection I don't think Polaris & SW even look remotely alike regardless of which artists interpretation. I mean even Enchantress got her own head sculpt & I can't imagine she was in more demand than Polaris.

Lol. It was a freaking madhouse last year, even tho they gave us plenty of notice. The website was soooooo freaking slow everyone was wondering if it went down. I don't forsee it being any different this year.

Aside from that I do have an issue with the Polaris figure. Overall I'm thrilled that we're getting one at all but what's the deal with the reuse of the Scarlet Witch head? I'm holding out the figure shown here was only as a placeholder for representation while they iron out the final design. I can't believe after all the fan demand for this figure they would hose us like that. For the most part, as fans I think we agree that the reuse and retooling of parts is necessary as a cost saving method and we all understand and are cool with it as long as we get pretty accurate head sculpts. That's all we really ask for and Hasbro can have our money. From my recollection I don't think Polaris & SW even look remotely alike regardless of which artists interpretation. I mean even Enchantress got her own head sculpt & I can't imagine she was in more demand than Polaris.

dude hasbro is just doing what many many costumizers have been doing for year. and from the crown up is a new piece. they look similar but are very different.

dude hasbro is just doing what many many costumizers have been doing for year. and from the crown up is a new piece. they look similar but are very different.

I understand that but they are not customizers, they are a multi billion dollar toy & game empire who gets $24 a pop for each figure where I live. I am a customizer myself and I've created my own Polaris custom using SW body and TBiz movie Sue Storm head which has the perfect hair & face for Polaris. I was happy with it in the absence of a ML Polaris but, as you know, there's nothing like having an official licensed figure. Believe me, if i could mass produce the head sculpt and sell them i would but, just as most customizes do, I lack that capacity. I would just like to hope a multinational company that does have that capacity could do a little better job than an aging fanboy in his garage, that's all.

LOL, I hear you and agree monron999. That was my gripe about Polaris, the only original thing on her is the crown/hair, everything else is a straight up customizer kit-bash.

But it makes it worse for me that they are reusing things from all the characters Polaris would logically be displayed with.

Scarlet Witch is/was her sister, and they have the same face.

Havok is her man, they have the same power effects.

Even Jean Grey's gauntlets, and Polaris and Jean are the women of the Summers brothers. There aren't enough degrees of separation in any of these reused parts to make her feel like an original standout in a display. She's going to look like any number of customs that have been circulated in pics on the internet already. And after such a LONG stretch of outcry for the character to be produced, that's a disappointment.

The money is in the face, and if the face isn't original, it devalues the release of the figure for me because it lacks originality. When they've reused faces before, the deco has helped. Ms. Marvel and Moonstone and Satana and Gamora ALL reuse the same head, but Moonstone and Satana have different hair and the mask and eye paint help differentiate the two. Gamora is cast in green, which creates a stronger distinction. Ms. Marvel and Moonstone look quite similar, but they have different mask colors, lip colors, and I can accept more similarity overlap since Moonstone was Dark Ms. Marvel, so it makes sense for her to have a similar look because it was justified in established story.

Anyway, it would be nice if the final product got a new face at LEAST, I don't expect sculpted details to the costume because that cost would be more than I could guess, I'm sure. But either way my money is spent on her already. Can't NOT get a Polaris figure!

But as it seems, Enchantress and Polaris were both the most requested females for a long time now. So at least Amora got a new face!

Has anyone thought that one of the "Lady Legends" that are not stated in any wave is gonna be the exclusive for the Marvel Unlimited Plus program? The exclusives are always announced at the end of august and that's just a month away so it would not be surprising that they would show us a near finished prototype like the Sue Storm and Dark Phoenix shown. Based on the exclusives mostly just being repaints my money is on Dark Phoenix. Just a little theory I felt like sharing.