Best Of 2016 Nominees

tarot

Hi guys. Last I did a Year In review article and am planning on doing a video version for this year. In this video I will announcing what was the best figure of the year as well as other categories.

While I will be putting my own choices into the list I want some nominees for the Best of categories. here is what I want from you and the thing that are included in the running (Note the Sandman wave is not included as it will not be officially out until the end of the year)

• Best Wave (not an exclusive) - as in the best assortment of character, number of figure and value for money
    • Absorbing Man Wave
    • Red Onslaught Wave
    • MCU Giant-Man Wave
    • Space Venom Wave
    • Abomination Wave
    • Juggernaut Wave
    • Dormammu Wave
  • Best Male figure (not your best figure of the year, basically the runner up) - look at the sculpt, paint, and basic inclusion of the character and don't included BAF
    • Ben Rielly's Spider-man
    • Venom
    • Jack O'Lantern
    • Morbius
    • Speed Demon
    • Classic Captain America (Cap-Wolf)
    • Cottonmouth
    • Taskmaster
    • Scourge
    • Whirlwind
    • MCU Cap
    • MCU Iron Man
    • MCU Black Panther
    • Nuke
    • Nick Fury
    • Red Guardian
    • Hobgoblin
    • Mile Morales
    • Ult Peter Parker
    • Electro
    • Captain Britain
    • Eel
    • Iron Skull
    • Secret War Cap
    • Wonder-man
    • Wolverine
    • Iceman
    • Cable
    • Deadpool
    • Havok
    • Brother Vodoo
    • Comic Dr. Strange
    • MCU Strange
    • MCU Mordo
    • Astral Strange
    • Iron Fist
    • MCU Spider-man
    • Purple Man
    • Dreadknight
    • Spider-man (SDCC version)
    • MCU War Machine
    • MCU Disco IM
    • All New Vision
    • Cap Falcon
    • Namor
    • Punisher
    • MCU Falcon
    • MCU Winter Soldier
  • Best Female Figure - same as the Males
    • Spider-Gwen
    • Beetle
    • Agent 13
    • Mockingbird
    • Ashley Barton
    • Silk
    • MCU Scarlet Witch
    • Phoenix
    • Rogue
    • Shadowcat
    • Rescue
    • Enchantress (Both versions)
    • Nico Minoru
    • Kate Bishop
  • Best Villain Figure
    • Venom
    • Jack O'Lantern
    • Morbius
    • Beetle
    • Speed Demon
    • Cottonmouth
    • Whirlwind
    • Taskmaster
    • Scourge
    • Nuke
    • Red Guardian (more hero but that depends on who's writing)
    • Hobgoblin
    • Electro
    • Eel
    • Iron Skull
    • Enchantress
    • Purple Man
    • Dreadknight
  • Best BAF
    • Absorbing Man
    • Red Onslaught (yes you can include the X-men Wave head)
    • MCU Giant Man
    • Space Venom
    • Abomination
    • Juggernaut
    • Dormammu
  • Best Remake (a character that has a alternate costume does not count)
    • Ben Reilly's Spider-man (remake of the Ares wave version)
    • Venom (remake of the classic Venom)
    • Classic Cap (remake of the classic uniform from TB Series 1)
    • Nick Fury
    • Hobgoblin (remake of Roderick Kinglset version of the Classic's line)
    • Mile Morales (remake of the Exclusive version)
    • Electro
    • Wolverine
    • Kitty Pryde
    • Rogue
    • Phoenix
    • Punisher
  • Best Accessories (this inlcudes guns, swords, and interchangable parts)
    • I won't give the runnings here but anything that has been released since the Absorbing Man wave.
  • Best Exclusive set (including SDCC, EE and other retailars)
    • MU Rescue
    • SDCC Raft Set
    • Target Civil War 2-pack
    • Toys-R-Us Avengers 3-pack
    • Walgreen Namor
    • Walgreen Punisher
    • Walmart Falcon and Winter Soldier
  • Worst figure of the year (that right. what figure you really didn't like.)
    • anything from the above
  • Best Figure of the Year (Male, Female, Villian, BAF anything as long as they are not in the above figure section)

for example my nominees are, which by the way was extremely hard to decide:

• Best Wave - Juggernaut Wave. X-men are back in a big way and even though every one of the figures has had a figure already each are vast improvements over the older versions. Plus 8 figure, 9 if you include Juggs
  • Best Male - Deadpool - this was really tough but DP takes second place due only to the fact that we have several of him already. Loads of Accessories and the best DP figure yet.
  • Best Female - Spider-Gwen. I just love the design of Spider-Gwen since she first appeared and this figure was outstanding the only thing that could have made it better would be double jointed Elbows
  • Best Villain - Taskmaster - Yes he uses the cartoon design but the figure itself is awesome can't recommend it enough.
  • Best BAF- Red Onslaught - Or Rather the one with the proper Onslaught head on it. this thing is awesome. big bulky and way better then the TB one. it's the one we always wanted.
  • Best Remake - Rogue. the only reason it's not the best female is because I wanted it to fit into this category. This figure is a beautiful figure and truely shows how much the line has improved over the best couple of years.
  • Best Accessories - Cap-Wolf. I just love this little nod to long time fans of Marvel that Hasbro would go to the effort of actually making a campy thing granted but having some fun with the wave
  • Best Exclusive - Walgreens Namor. Yes the SDCC has some character that we have long sort after. Yes the Punisher is the best version yet and yes the Civil War figure were nice for people who wanted to complete the MCU. But this Namor figure stand above them all as the best exclusive to date and a Namor figure I can finally put up on my shelf and not be ashamed to have it.
  • Worst Figure of the Year - Iron Skull. This was a stupid figure to make. It's not even a new scuplt. just a Iron Man figure repaint with a Red Skull head we already have. It was a wasted spot that no one asked for.
  • Best Figure of the Year - MCU Black Panther. There should be no surprise why I picked this. A hugely detail figure with tons of articulation and a swappable head.

Best Wave

· Juggernaut Wave

o There’s no contest that everyone has been riding the X-Men hype train since Marvel seems to have lifted their ban on mutant themed merchandise. And no better way to capitalize on that than this wave where there wasn’t a bad figure. Honestly even Havok and Iceman are really good, just easily overshadowed by the rest.

Best Male

· Iron Fist

o It takes a lot to show me that a re-do is necessary. I honestly didn’t want Iron Fist that much to begin with, and got him solely to avoid hunting him down later. Needless to say, from extra fists, to the “iron fist” effects, and a dynamite head sculpt on a great body mold I was very impressed.

Best Female

· MCU Scarlet Witch

o This was such a hard category to decide on this year. I would have immediately picked either Rogue or Kitty for this one, but since both are essentially re-dos I decided to give it to the third figure in what I consider a three-way tie. The MCU Scarlet Witch is all new sculpt, which is always great to see, and great articulation which makes this figure a home run. Plus she’s easily one of my favorite characters from the movie and desperately needed a figure after Age of Ultron. Her figure is something unique and different, which I think helps to set it apart from the other awesome figures this year.

Best Villain

· Jack O’ Lantern

o I’m a sucker for the goblin-esque villain and especially the updated Rick Remender version. Add a Hope Summers cape to him and he’s practically a perfect page to figure translation. The head sculpt is enough to carry this figure to the top spot, then you add the accessories which are great.

Best BAF

· Juggernaut

o He’s big, he’s solid, he’s got a lot more paint than I expected, and his articulation is superb! The one thing though that easily catapults him to the top of this list is that he proved me wrong. I was a major detractor of this BAF when it was announced, and even after I got the wave. I only bought the wave for the X-Men figures, and figured I’d sell the BAF. Once assembled and compared to the older Juggernaut I realized that I was being rather ridiculous and just how great this figure was. He’s still a bit tall in my mind, but I can get over that, what a great figure!

Best Remake

· Kitty Pryde

o Well I found a way to get all the figures from my three-way female figure tie on here in one way or another. Seeing as I really felt Kitty got a lot of flak for her perceived height issues I wanted to make sure I gave her a spot she deserved. First of all the head sculpt is great, and honestly that makes most good figures what they are. But then you add the new Silk/Kate Bishop body mold with some Kitty specific gloves and upper torso and you have a real winner. As for the height, yes it does bother me that she’s slightly taller than Rogue, I try not to worry about it, but it doesn’t bother me that she’s taller than her last figure. This one looks great next to my ML Colossus, and yes Kitty’s not a little kid any more, she’s obviously going to be taller than in previous incarnations. Do I wish she was a fraction of an inch shorter? Yes. Does that effect my enjoyment of this figure? Not a bit. She’s a great figure, and it’s sad that she’s a major pegwarmer, considering there’s little to nothing wrong with her.

Best Accessories

· Deadpool’s arsenal

o Never has a Hasbro figure come with so many great weapons and really felt equipped for anything. No doubt this was due to his popularity in the movies, but to get that many guns, as well as his signature swords, and a taco. Wade was packing plenty of bang for my action figure buck. The best part is that even when I’m not using the arsenal for him the guns have found their way to Punisher, Taskmaster, and the like.

Best Exclusive

· Namor

o This was a tough choice, especially considering there weren’t any exclusives that really blew me away this year. Each one had their problems, Punisher needed a head swap courtesy of the Epic Heroes one, MU Rescue was way too expensive for what she was, the Raft was decent but several figures were sad repaints, Both Civil War 2 packs suffered from the “one good figure, and the rest are repaints” issue, and then Bucky and Falcon should have won this, but Falcon didn’t have any guns (or an “unmasked” head). Namor has a stunning paint job, and minus a few issues from the Grim Reaper mold, is a really solid figure that I’m really glad to have. Even though I'd consider the "trident" a misstep, it actually worked out because it looks better with Odin than his previous spear, and Namor has inherited his trident from the old Toy Biz one. His paint job, and spot on head sculpt easily put him above his fellow exclusives.

Worst Figure of the Year

· Iron Skull

o While I realize that this list is totally subjective and entirely opinionated I do want to try to be objective on this one, seeing as it’s the category that will cause the most debate. I would have chosen the likes of Hobgoblin or Abomination due to the fact that their Toy Biz versions are still far superior to their most recent incarnations. However I do realize that some people needed those characters and so I picked one that is probably universally disliked—Iron Skull. I don’t own him, and I never want to own him. He’s on an outdated body, and is a left over from the god awful Avengers Assemble cartoon. It doesn’t get any worse than that. But before everyone starts yelling what about Ult. Goblin and Ult. Beetle. Well both are from the Ultimate comics universe and hardly show specific. Of course there’s Taskmaster, but if you put that UDON head on him he looks enough like his mainstream counterpart to overlook. Iron Skull, is just kind of ridiculous. As a concept I’m sure it’s alright, but the figure just looks subpar compared to everything else this year. A scrawny, outdated body, a version of a character that no one wants, when most still would like a “classic” Red Skull, this is easily from an objective standpoint the worst figure of a great year.

Best Figure of the Year

· Rogue

o There’s not usually a need for many remakes. That said this was one that I, like many, many others, felt had to happen. And it is glorious. This figure is easily my favorite for the year and was my most anticipated figure going into and throughout the year. From paint, to sculpt, to overall looks and articulation this figure is a masterpiece. The best of easily the best wave and an easy decision for this spot. If compared even to the best female figures that Hasbro has done, like Black Cat, Gamora, etc. this one stacks up as one of the best.

BEST WAVE:

Juggernaut Wave. Just to have the X-Men back is reason enough, but in this case, the characters, quantity and quality was perfect.

BEST MALE:

Iron Fist. It has the perfect proportions for the character and great accesories. Great updated look.

BEST FEMALE:

Spider-Gwen. The sculpt is perfect and the likeness is spot on.

BEST VILLAIN:

Venom. He comes with a classic look, the alt. head is cool. A much needed update with the new slightly bigger scale.

BEST BAF:

Juggernaut. Simply excelent! Big, articulated, classic look.

BEST REMAKE:

Captain America. While lacking the scale portion of the uniform, the figure itself in likeness and sculpting is perfect.

BEST ACCESORIES:

Iron Fist's fist and effects. They are just perfectly done, specially the wrapped hands.

BEST EXCLUSIVE:

Namor. There was no competition. Great character in a great costume.

WORST FIGURE:

Iron Skull. I didn't even care to buy it.

BEST FIGURE OF THE YEAR:

Rogue. No discussion, it's the figure almost everyone wanted. A remake of a Toybiz figure that only came in a multi pack. Was the figure Hasbro used to announce the return of the X-Men.

Best Wave: Jnaut Wave (did someone say mutants?)

Runner Up: Onslaught (so many overdue characters)

Best Male: Wolf Cap (My favorite Cap to date)

Runner Up: Iceman (so good I bought a 2nd one to keep in my freezer at all times so when my wife goes to get ice, she has to see Bobby...and then shake her head. Best $20 ever spent)

Best Female: Rogue (well...cmon)

Runner Up: Silk (omg that face sculpt!)

Best Villain: Taskmaster (Udon Head? YES please)

Runner Up: Electro (it took this long to get one?)

Best BAF: Red Skullslaught (Rick Remender for the win)

Runner Up: Space Venom (I don't care, I love it)

Best Remake: Captain Britain (one of the few figures to me that just destroys the TB version...this thing is beast!)

Runner Up: Kitty Pryde (we can finally replace our TB Fran Drescher? SIGN ME UP)

Best Accessories: Flame pieces for Iron Fist (Immortal Iron Fist almost took every category)

Runner Up: Deadpools Taco (all legends should come with food. Period.)

Best Exclusive: Punisher (see below...)

Runner Up: War Machine MK3 (detail, mold, paint...just an all around win)

Best of Year: Punisher (I NEEDED this fig)

Runner Up: Barton Spidergirl (the paint & sculpt are superb)

Worst of Year: Civil War Cap (just ugh)

Runner Up: Kate Bishop (the lack of paint on the figure nigh induces a gag reflex)