Official SDCC 2017 Discussion Thread

tarot

I am honestly surprised and a little bit disappointed with how dead this forum is sometimes considering the popularity of these figures. There is probably no more than 10 actual consistently active members. SDCC is the years biggest fig reveal and you can hear a pin drop.

Over on the Wfigs WWE forum, the SDCC page is well over 200 posts, granted mostly crying and whining, but at least there's passion. Step it up my fellow Marvel lovers!

I am honestly surprised and a little bit disappointed with how dead this forum is sometimes considering the popularity of these figures. There is probably no more than 10 actual consistently active members. SDCC is the years biggest fig reveal and you can hear a pin drop.

Over on the Wfigs WWE forum, the SDCC page is well over 200 posts, granted mostly crying and whining, but at least there's passion. Step it up my fellow Marvel lovers!

I usually only post sightings and hauls, but darned if this wasn't a great showing!

• Medusa & Black Bolt: Not a fan of the screaming expression on BB but I sold my SDCC Galactus Engine box set when I temporarily got out of collecting ML in 2015 (which I regret!) so I'm excited to get a second chance at these. Maybe Hasbro will pack in a normal closed mouth head as well.
  • Defenders Box Set: Yes! All look good, and I'm especially excited for another shot at Luke cage as I never got the Thunderbolts set.
  • Hydra Soldiers: I sold the Mandroid wave in 2015 along with my two Hydra soldiers so I'm glad to get Hydra forces again.
  • Lizard: Looks awesome!
  • Mysterio: Another figure I really wanted!
  • Deathlock: Another great looking figure!
  • Namor: The Namor I grew up with didn't live in WIlliamsburg Brooklyn or Seattle, so I may have to buy one of the two dozen Namors sitting in the multiple Walgreens near me to swap out the bearded head for the classic version.
  • Mr Fantastic: Was worried the stretch effects would look silly, but they look Fantastic! (sorry)
  • X-23 & Apocalypse: Not liking X-23 as much as I want to, but Apocalypse has me super X-cited for the wave! (sorry again)

And although I gave up keeping stuff MOC/MISB a long time ago, I may get the vintage figures if I can find proper cases for them. I have my Star Wars vintage 6" figures still packed in the case waiting to find good clam shells.

All in all I'm more excited about these reveals than I remember the last few years. Can't wait to see what BAFs we'll get besides Lizard and Apocalypse...

The best reveals for me are Cable, Lizard, Mysterio & Apocalypse. Black Widow and Ghost Rider are cool.

The rest are pretty lackluster honestly. A lot of repaints, re-releases and meh.

Where are the Xmen reveals? While I like Deathlok and X-23, putting them in a Deadpool wave is a big stretch. Where is Black Tom, Copycat or more X-Force?

Yeah, I live in the U.K. so it was about 1AM when the Hasbro panel started. I tried to stay up but I just couldn't make it.

Medusa + Blackbolt: I'm excited for both these guys having not picked them up previously. Blackbolts effects look dope.

Defenders: All look good although I'll probably only display Luke, Jessica and Daredevil. the dormammu wave Iron fist still tops the one shown. Glad Hasbro have finally given us Jessica in her Jewel costume.

Hydra soldiers: Never been one for the design of the hydra soldiers (I find that green and yellow ugly) so I'll probs leave these guys. I can see how good these guys are for army building though, so again hats off to Hasbro. Hopefully they do a similar thing with shield soldiers and A.I.M

Lizard: Looks dope. Hasbro are definitely dominating my display in terms of Spider-Man rogues.

Mysterio: Again looks amazing that helmet is inspired.

Deathlock: A must have for my uncanny xforce team, just need a new Psylocke now.

Namor: the figure looks good but I'll pass as I'm still happy with the Walgreens exclusive.

X23: the figure looks good a shame about the toe claws but hopefully they'll work out a way to address this before they make her wolverine costume.

Apocalypse: really glad to get an inscale apocalypse. The Toybiz one was defo too big. Hopefully the alternative limbs look cool but even still the figure look sick.

All in all I'm happy with what I saw. A bit gutted to not see any of the xmen wave other than the BAF but tbh that's outweighed by the fact we'll definately be getting an X-wave and a deadpool wave.

Finally!

we had that before. New legs and forearm though.

Sure, but the legs improve this figure dramatically for me. I needed a comic Iron Man for my dislpay, so I'm excited.

I'm with you all the way. Looks like the torso & head are about the only thing that they kept. Legs & arms were definitely retooled to fit in with the current ML scale. Modular armor is a bit old fashioned, but as you so elequently put it....FINALLY!

As usual, I'll be cherry picking so...here it goes

Namor: Is that the same sculpt as Walgreens? Pass for me

Defenders: I'm extremely disappointed that there's another Luke Cage in a box set. Does anyone notice if they've fixed that wonky torso from before, or is it straight repaint? I do like those billy clubs for DD, but the rest, I'll pass. I guess we'll only get the Netflix single Luke, so I'll have to pay inflated prices. Not feeling Silk Jewel Jessica.

Hydra: Pass. We need Hand Ninjas.

Lizard & Mysterio: Amazing. nothing else needs to be said.

Black Bolt & Medusa: Guess they still haven't figured out how to do the wings for Boltagon. Either way, I'll get both.

Mr. Fantastic: I really hope he matches Sue. The colors do seem slightly different. I'm only of the few that loves the Ronan wave Reed, but I've never been able to match the entire team with great figures. I didn't have Sue in the blue & white.

Songbird: Awesome. A+. Is The Hood the only one left from the prototypes?

Vintage: Black Widow warrants a new purchase. Maybe I'll get Cap as well. I've skipped on most of them, and still use FO. The rest are instant pass.

Deluxe: Y'all really gonna drop the same Ghost Rider tho? I feel cheated. I wonder how much re-salers will have the bike going for? Skipping on Widow

Now onto X-Figures:

Deadpool: Love it, but I'll probably just get X-Force colorway.

X-23: YES!! Please give her unmasked or Wolverine head. I think everyone realizes this will be re-released down the line as Wolverine.

Domino: I despise colored firearms. BUT I need a Domino, so this is also a purchase.

Cable & Deathok: skip for me. I would've preferred X-Force colorway for Deathlok.

Is that Shuri is the sneak peeks? Overall, there are a lot of repaints, and re-releases. They really didn't show that much new-new stuff. I Think Hasbro may start suffering from Star-Lord Syndrome. I still can't wait to see that Prowler though.

Defenders: I'm extremely disappointed that there's another Luke Cage in a box set. Does anyone notice if they've fixed that wonky torso from before, or is it straight repaint? I do like those billy clubs for DD, but the rest, I'll pass. I guess we'll only get the Netflix single Luke, so I'll have to pay inflated prices. Not feeling Silk Jewel Jessica.

Black Bolt & Medusa: Guess they still haven't figured out how to do the wings for Boltagon. Either way, I'll get both.

Mr. Fantastic: I really hope he matches Sue. The colors do seem slightly different. I'm only of the few that loves the Ronan wave Reed, but I've never been able to match the entire team with great figures. I didn't have Sue in the blue & white.

Vintage: Black Widow warrants a new purchase. Maybe I'll get Cap as well. I've skipped on most of them, and still use FO. The rest are instant pass.

Deluxe: Y'all really gonna drop the same Ghost Rider tho? I feel cheated. I wonder how much re-salers will have the bike going for? Skipping on Widow

Now onto X-Figures:

X-23: YES!! Please give her unmasked or Wolverine head. I think everyone realizes this will be re-released down the line as Wolverine.

Domino: I despise colored firearms. BUT I need a Domino, so this is also a purchase.

Cable & Deathok: skip for me. I would've preferred X-Force colorway for Deathlok.

Is that Shuri is the sneak peeks? Overall, there are a lot of repaints, and re-releases. They really didn't show that much new-new stuff. I Think Hasbro may start suffering from Star-Lord Syndrome. I still can't wait to see that Prowler though.

Don't forget that amazing Apocalypse.

Now onto X-Figures:

Is that Shuri in the sneak peeks? Overall, there are a lot of repaints, and re-releases. They really didn't show that much new-new stuff. I Think Hasbro may start suffering from Star-Lord Syndrome. I still can't wait to see that Prowler though.

Don't forget that amazing Apocalypse.

That Apocalypse is FKKIN A+ level Awesomess. Hands down the best Poccy. I also noticed that they didn't Luke Cage is a straight re-release, only different bands. That torso from the "large'" sculpts was horrible but...I guess if you pose it a certain way....I'll wait for the Netflix release to see which one.

They must've read my mind concerning the Hydra 2-Pack. They're tempting me.

As someone who hasn't been able to get any of the SDCC exclusives over the years and missed out on other figures here and there, I'm grateful for the repacks and reissues.

- Luke Cage - I have been hoping for some sort of comic style release of Luke Cage, so the Defenders box set is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

- Daredevil - I missed him in the Hobgoblin wave, and so as the vintage line started being revealed in previews I was hoping Daredevil would be part of it. The defenders set works just as well for me.

- Black Widow - Despite all my trips to various Toys R Us stores at the time I never found the black costume Widow and Winter Soldier two pack. The deluxe figure with the bike looks great, and the Vintage reveal was one of the most exciting things to come out of the panel.

- Wolverine - Until a new tiger stripe version is announced I can pick up a Vintage line version to repaint.

- Black Bolt and Medusa - Ditto to the above mentioned lack of luck with SDCC exclusives.

Overall I was very happy with this year's reveals. There were a few omissions that I was disappointed with. I expected a little more info about the X-wave than just the repetition of "best wave so far". As usual, so sad Strong Guy didn't make the cut again, but I know the call out for a new Apocalypse overshadowed the Guido fan club along with Nimrod & Sauron. Oh well, his ship will come in one day. So I'm guessing the Deadpool wave BAF will be maybe Cyber or Omega Red if not Nimrod. I honestly was expecting to see some more 2 packs with a modern costume Scarlet Witch (Dwight has stated how bothered he is by the size of the current one) and Quicksilver update (maybe in his black/silver duds) or a Cloak & Dagger set (gotta capitalize on it now cuz it honestly sounds like the show is gonna be a bigger dud than that Inhumans POS).

Now on to what I like, which is everything.

Medusa & Blackbolt - love the update. Looks like they're going with the Dark Phoenix formula which is the smaller bust with the curvier thighs. This is my personal favorite set up. Still can't seem to get Blackbolts wings right, but the new effects are well done.

Hail Hydra - if anything, these are the ones I'm the least excited for. I'll still get them but I'm afraid of getting caught up in trying to build an army. A total wallet buster for a buncha non-specific characters. On the brighter side a SHIELD set can't be far behind. I have a brilliant idea for Hasbro that I'll outline on its own thread.

Defenders Box Set - totally love them but why oh why does Luke Cage keep getting the mass release snub. I'm not all that upset about his altered look cuz, for the most part, his look is pretty ridiculous no matter how you cut it. Sorry, just the truth. Never expected a comic Jewel, but a good pull on that one. I'm liking the new color scheme and billy clubs for DD but I was hoping for his black suit. I also woulda preferred an updated Immortal Iron Fist rather than the bare chested Kung Fu fighter look.

Walgreens Exclusives - I'm soooo happy FF has found its way back into Legends but I'm just wondering where they're all gonna drop. If I'm not mistaken, along with Medusa, we have Reed, Silver Surfer, Thing & Super Skull all on deck. I'm hoping we get at least one of them this year after Johnny Storm bringing the count to at least 3 or 4 this year & 3 or 4 next year. Of course, more than 4 a year would be fine as well. I think we could all stand for a new Doctor Doom & Kang, huh?

Vintage wave - a nice wave to get out updates on the major players on the Marvel Universe without having to endure any more lame MCU figs. Although I don't believe a BAF is essential to every line I do think Hasbro missed out on a golden opportunity to give us a comic Hulk update (with freaking ankle pivot) by not doing a BAF.

Deadpool wave - so glad this happened. And for the record, I do consider this wave an X-Men wave, just with DP as the headliner rather than Wolverine. So if it hits this year I will be right about getting 2 this year. As far as product? 90's Deadpool, totally unnecessary. Looks good but was a waste of a roster spot. Deathlok, love it, need it. Ole top heavy, rubber legs Deathlok is on it way to the storage bin. Domino, I was hoping for a little more than a straight Mockingbird repaint & the purple guns thing is deserving of a severe #$## slapping but she's one of my favorite conflicted characters, so....there ya go. Black DP, X-Force DP, oh yeah, they are gonna milk the #$## outta his closet which has more outfits in it than freaking Barbie. I was hoping for Bishop or maybe Slapstick or Massacre. Maybe later. X-23, yes please. Speaking of another character they can exploit for several looks, hope her Wolverine version will include toe blades. Cable is awesome & one of the best in show. Please let there be an alternate head cuz I just hate the ridiculous Leifeld hairdo.

Namor - good start to the Black Panther wave. Hopefully the Iron Man will be a modern comic version. I can only endure so many MCU version repaints, yknow?

Spider-Man figures - though it's really obscure the Spider Punk is miles (pun intended) better than Spider UK, who I know was more of an excuse just to create a new buck. Sadly no Spider Noir sighting. Hopefully it's as good as the MU (yes, I still call them MU cuz they sure as hell aren't Legends) version. Mysterio & Lizard, once again Hasbro set out to improve on TB's design and knocks it outta the park. Can't wait. Please give us a look at Prowler sometime soon.

Songbird - beautiful & amazing. I knew Hasbro wouldn't settle for the same design they used for the prototype way back during the Dark Days of ML. They wanna remember those days less than we do. Hopefully they take the chance to improve on the first Scarlet Witch in this same wave.

Cycle figures - I'm all in for these. What a great, tho not very totally inovative, way to get some new product out there & a brilliant way to get a comic BW into ML. Zero complaints from me at that $40 price tag. And for all you complaining about the version of GR they used, rest assured, the others are coming tho I'm not sure exactly how they would do Robbie's Charger. Maybe an ultimate deluxe set? Other figs that can fall under this format? How bout Wolverine, Captain America, Gwenpool (with scooter) & Winter Soldier (comic version, of course).

I'm sure I missed a few but my heads still reeling from the best ComiCon reveal to date.

TEAM STRONG GUY FOR LIFE!

Overall I was very happy with this year's reveals. There were a few omissions that I was disappointed with. I expected a little more info about the X-wave than just the repetition of "best wave so far". As usual, so sad Strong Guy didn't make the cut again, but I know the call out for a new Apocalypse overshadowed the Guido fan club along with Nimrod & Sauron. Oh well, his ship will come in one day. So I'm guessing the Deadwood wave BAF will be maybe Cyber or Omega Red if not Nimrod. I honestly was expecting to see some more 2 packs with a modern costume Scarlet Witch (Dwight has stated how bothered he is by the size of the current one) and Quicksilver update (maybe in his black/silver duds) or a Cloak & Dagger set (gotta capitalize on it now cuz it honestly sounds like the show is gonna be a bigger dud than that Inhumans POS).

Medusa & Blackbolt - love the update. Looks like they're going with the Dark Phoenix formula which is the smaller bust with the curvier thighs. This is my personal favorite set up. Still can't seem to get Blackbolts wings right, but the new effects are well done.

Hail Hydra - if anything, these are the ones I'm the least excited for. I'll still get them but I'm afraid of getting caught up in trying to build an army. A total wallet buster for a buncha non-specific characters. On the brighter side a SHIELD set can't be far behind. I have a brilliant idea for Hasbro that I'll outline on its own thread.

Defenders Box Set - totally love them but why oh why does Luke Cage keep getting the mass release snub. I'm not all that upset about his altered look cuz, for the most part, his look is pretty ridiculous no matter how you cut it. Sorry, just the truth. Never expected a comic Jewel, but a good pull on that one. I'm liking the new color scheme and billy clubs for DD but I was hoping for his black suit. I also woulda preferred an updated Immortal Iron Fist rather than the bare chested Kung Fu fighter look.

Walgreens Exclusives - I'm soooo happy FF has found its way back into Legends but I'm just wondering where they're all gonna drop. If I'm not mistaken, along with Medusa, we have Reed, Silver Surfer, Thing & Super Skull all on deck. I'm hoping we get at least one of them this year after Johnny Storm bringing the count to at least 3 or 4 this year & 3 or 4 next year. Of course, more than 4 a year would be fine as well. I think we could all stand for a new Doctor Doom & Kang, huh?

Vintage wave - a nice wave to get out updates on the major players on the Marvel Universe without having to endure any more lame MCU figs. Although I don't believe a BAF is essential to every line I do think Hasbro missed out on a golden opportunity to give us a comic Hulk update (with freaking ankle pivot) by not doing a BAF.

Deadpool wave - so glad this happened. And for the record, I do consider this wave an X-Men wave, just with DP as the headliner rather than Wolverine. So if it hits this year I will be right about getting 2 this year. As far as product? 90's Deadpool, totally unnecessary. Looks good but was a waste of a roster spot. Deathlok, love it, need it. Ole top heavy, rubber legs Deathlok is on it way to the storage bin. Domino, I was hoping for a little more than a straight Mockingbird repaint & the purple guns thing is deserving of a severe #$#@# slapping but she's one of my favorite conflicted characters, so....there ya go. Black DP, X-Force DP, oh yeah, they are gonna milk the #$@# outta his closet which has more outfits in it than freaking Barbie. I was hoping for Bishop or maybe Slapstick or Massacre. Maybe later. X-23, yes please. Speaking of another character they can exploit for several looks, hope her Wolverine version will include toe blades. Cable is awesome & one of the best in show. Please let the be an alternate head cuz I just hate the rediculous Leifeld hairdo.

Namor - good start to the Black Panther wave. Hopefully the Iron Man will be a modern comic version. I can only endure so many MCU version repaints, yknow?

Spider-Man figures - though it's really obscure the Spider Punk is miles (pun intended) better than Spider UK, who I know was more of an excuse just to create a new buck. Sadly no Spider Noir sighting. Hopefully it's as good as the MU (yes, I still call them MU cuz they sure as hell aren't Legends) version. Mysterio & Lizard, once again Hasbro set out to improve on TB's design and knocks it outta the park. Can't wait. Please give us a look at Prowler sometime soon.

Songbird - beautiful & amazing. I knew Hasbro wouldn't settle for the same design they used for the prototype way back during the Dark Days of ML. They wanna remember those days less than we do. Hopefully they take the chance to improve on the first Scarlet Witch in this same wave.

Cycle figures - I'm all in for these. What a great, tho not very totally inovative, way to get some new product out there & a brilliant way to get a comic BW into ML. Zero complaints from me at that $40 price tag. And for all you complaining about the version of GR they used, rest assured, the others are coming tho I'm not sure exactly how they would do Robbie's Charger. Maybe an ultimate deluxe set? Other figs that can fall under this format? How bout Wolverine, Captain America, Gwenpool (with scooter) & Winter Soldier (comic version, of course).

I'm sure I missed a few but my heads still reeling from the best ComiCon reveal to date.

Do you know something the rest of us don't?!?! Why would there be an Iron Man in the Black Panther wave?

Overall I was very happy with this year's reveals. There were a few omissions that I was disappointed with. I expected a little more info about the X-wave than just the repetition of "best wave so far". As usual, so sad Strong Guy didn't make the cut again, but I know the call out for a new Apocalypse overshadowed the Guido fan club along with Nimrod & Sauron. Oh well, his ship will come in one day. So I'm guessing the Deadwood wave BAF will be maybe Cyber or Omega Red if not Nimrod. I honestly was expecting to see some more 2 packs with a modern costume Scarlet Witch (Dwight has stated how bothered he is by the size of the current one) and Quicksilver update (maybe in his black/silver duds) or a Cloak & Dagger set (gotta capitalize on it now cuz it honestly sounds like the show is gonna be a bigger dud than that Inhumans POS).

Deadpool wave - so glad this happened. And for the record, I do consider this wave an X-Men wave, just with DP as the headliner rather than Wolverine. So if it hits this year I will be right about getting 2 this year. As far as product? 90's Deadpool, totally unnecessary. Looks good but was a waste of a roster spot. Deathlok, love it, need it. Ole top heavy, rubber legs Deathlok is on it way to the storage bin. Domino, I was hoping for a little more than a straight Mockingbird repaint & the purple guns thing is deserving of a severe #$#@# slapping but she's one of my favorite conflicted characters, so....there ya go. Black DP, X-Force DP, oh yeah, they are gonna milk the #$@# outta his closet which has more outfits in it than freaking Barbie. I was hoping for Bishop or maybe Slapstick or Massacre. Maybe later. X-23, yes please. Speaking of another character they can exploit for several looks, hope her Wolverine version will include toe blades. Cable is awesome & one of the best in show. Please let the be an alternate head cuz I just hate the rediculous Leifeld hairdo.

Do you know something the rest of us don't?!?! Why would there be an Iron Man in the Black Panther wave?

Its on a rumor list on Reddit.

Jan 1st(so maybe end of year, movie based wave)

• Black Panther x 2
  • Siberian Toger
  • Leopard
  • Black Bolt
  • Iron Man x 2
  • Namor
  • BAF not confirmed

Spiderman:

I am happy that Lizard is the BAF. I can call my Spidey collection done finally. Just going to grab Mysterio and Lizard. Really don't understand Gwenpool. I would have rather that spot go to Firestar in her classic yellow costume but I am sure some people are happy to have Gwenpool so I am not going to knock it too much. I am cool with my Toybiz Doc Ock and Scorpion. If Hasbro makes them in this line then knowing me I will probably will grab them. Lizard looks great and so does Mysterio.

Deadpool:

I am defiently grabbing Domino. I might grab 90's Deadpool. Cable and X-23, I am on the fence on them. The rest is an easy pass for me. Sucks Strong Guy is not the BAF but oh well.

Deluxe Riders or whatever this is called:

I am going to grab that Black Widow. Ghost Rider looks pretty sweet as well but I am going to pass on him.

X-Men:

Apocalypse looks pretty good. I am probably going to buy the case again like I have been doing for the past two years.

The Rest:

I am going to pass on them. I will make an effort for The Fantastic Four figures but dreading going into Walgreens :(. I wished these were a wave and released altogether. I may grab that Vintage line Black Widow as well.

Its on a rumor list on Reddit.

Jan 1st(so maybe end of year, movie based wave)

• Black Panther x 2
  • Siberian Toger
  • Leopard
  • Black Bolt
  • Iron Man x 2
  • Namor
  • BAF not confirmed

Thanks for the assist. Also, didn't Rektangular do a video on it as well?