WTF is up with ML's giant heads recently?

monron999

All of a sudden all the head sculpts on ML are enormous! Okay at first it was just a few figures so I felt I was just being nitpicky if I said anything, but suddenly this is a rampant issue that came to a head (pun intended) when I opened my new Walmart exclusive Black Panther and I think we need to nip this in the bud now. At first it was just a few figures here and there like Shocker & Spider UK, nothing I couldn't deal with. Truthfully, ole' Jamie's been in a storage bin since I opened him. I was hopine this was just a minor issue that, after all the customer reactions, was something that Hasbro would eventually just work out. Little did I know it would actually get worse. For the most part the new BP is a freaking awesome figure. Love the use of the Spider UK buck. Love the color scheme & paint apps. It's generally a good looking & well done figure, until you start to compare & pose him with other figures. Hooooly Hell does this guy have a huge melon. I mean how does this happen? In an age where everything is done through digital scanning & 3D modeling isn't there some kind of head to body consistency scale they use? I know people all have different head sizes but this is a case akin to putting the head of an 7'6" man on the body of a 6' man. Dont believe me? Just stand that figure next to the figure that's pretty much set the size standard for mid size muscular ML characters, Daredevil who is also generally the same size as BP according to the comics database. The disparity is drastic and displacing. If you wanna make the argument that he's wearing a mask/helmet it makes it even worse when compared to the first exclusive BP who is also wearing one. The Mary Jane figure is another one whose entire look was destroyed by the excessive size of her head. It was a beautiful sculpt but it just made her figure look like a sexy lollipop. I considered that she wouldn't actually be placed in my general hero display so I brushed it off as well....till they reused it on the vintage Black Widow figure. That head on a sleeker, more simplified body mold just makes it more obvious. Seriously, both my BP and BW figures are so outta scale with the other figures I really don't even wanna display them with the others, which sucks cuz otherwise they are such cool renditions of the characters. Now, in support of the line, I did purchase 2 of these figures being fully aware of the troublesome "Big Head Syndrome" from online reviews, but I just had to see it for myself. I'm so bummed. As I'm prone to say, maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm too much a stickler for scale and accuracy. It just bugs me terribly when a figure has soooo much potential only to fall short. Like I said it's a good figure but it shoulda been a great figure. This giant head trend is becoming unforgivable. Instead of a Grand Slam this one was more like an in-field single man home run. Trust me, if you haven't landed this figure yet, it's bad, probably the worse one to this point. As much as I complain, I honestly hate the fact that Hasbro keeps giving me reasons to do it cuz it means yet another figure, usually under much fanfare, anticipation and expectation, falls short yet again. And before anyone makes the assumption that I'm just a grumpy complainer who is never happy with anything, keep in mind that I have purchased every figure Hasbro has released under the ML brand, sometimes at 3 to 4 times mark up (damn you, X-Force Deadpool) on the aftermarket and I will continue to support the line as long as they keep it running, but in the mean time I'm not going to just blindly praise them for everything they do and I will always urge them to do better. This is something they need to reel in ASAP, cuz the heads just keep getting bigger & bigger and I'm afraid within a few more waves this line is gonna look like articulated Funko Pops. The customer's input is by far the best resource Hasbro has and they'd be foolish not to use it, just as we would be foolish not to exercise it.

Can't front Monron....IT AIN'T YOU! I haven't gotten the Wally World BP yet (as it hasn't hit So Cal), but your observation of "BHS" (and I know who you got that term from) is real and very accurate. Another of our similarities, by the way is I too have purchased every ML figure Hasbro has ever come out with, and like yourself, I too purchased the X-Force Deadpool figure at crazy markup off of eBay (this is the very 1st Hasbro figure I ever had to pay more for). I know this is wrong, but tell me if you feel the same way about this: I'm hoping like HELL the supposed 7th figure in the upcoming Deadpool wave... ISN'T X-Force DP! Like I said, I know it ain't kool to feel that way, but considering how recently this was out as an exclusive (and I realize this isn't the 1st time Hasbro has done this in recent years) and how much had to be spent, mixed in with the notion Hasbro could've let us know it was gonna be released retail in that wave (it wouldn't have hurt their sales, just scalpers') is what lends to my mentality regarding this.

Can't front Monron....IT AIN'T YOU! I haven't gotten the Wally World BP yet (as it hasn't hit So Cal), but your observation of "BHS" (and I know who you got that term from) is real and very accurate. Another of our similarities, by the way is I too have purchased every ML figure Hasbro has ever come out with, and like yourself, I too purchased the X-Force Deadpool figure at crazy markup off of eBay (this is the very 1st Hasbro figure I ever had to pay more for). I know this is wrong, but tell me if you feel the same way about this: I'm hoping like HELL the supposed 7th figure in the upcoming Deadpool wave... ISN'T X-Force DP! Like I said, I know it ain't kool to feel that way, but considering how recently this was out as an exclusive (and I realize this isn't the 1st time Hasbro has done this in recent years) and how much had to be spent, mixed in with the notion Hasbro could've let us know it was gonna be released retail in that wave (it wouldn't have hurt their sales, just scalpers') is what lends to my mentality regarding this.

EE confirmed to me that X-Force Deadpool IS in the wave. Different UPC than the HasCon. I would imagine that there would be to be some slight different to it. Maybe a different gray or less weapons. Something

Well, that kinda sux. Now I'm kinda pissed I spent so much cash on the HasCon version. Hopefully it will have a buttload of different weapons cuz those other ones are all pretty played out. I swear if I see that damn rifle with the X's hashed down the side or that freaking Luger type pistol again, I might find myself writing a strongly worded letter to the powers that be at Hasbro or perhaps an overtly passive aggressive post on this forum. Lol, cuz seriously what can we really do but grin & bare it? Maybe if we ask nicely. Please Hasbro, no more bazookas....of any color. I have so many bazookas even my Punisher figures think they're passe'. I'm sure there will be some slight difference to insure that the something about the exclusive remains exclusove. I hope this means well be seeing more X-Force figs. Fingers crossed for a new Forge or perhaps a ForgetMeNot. But, didn't they already do one of those. I forget. Wait, who was I talking about. Oh, Forge, that's right. We really need an update for that chatacter.

Back on subject. Just got my Iron Man from the Black Panther (Okoye) wave. Another case of BHS. The Stark head is actually bigger than the helmeted head. It just strikes me as funny cuz obviously that nut doesn't fit in the shell. This time it won't really matter that much cuz I won't be displaying him as Stark anyway. I wonder if it's the same head that's coming with the Marvel Unlimited subscrition. Probably, but if so I'm interested in seeing how that bulbous head sits on that already undersized suit buck.

Well, that kinda sux. Now I'm kinda pissed I spent so much cash on the HasCon version. Hopefully it will have a buttload of different weapons cuz those other ones are all pretty played out. I swear if I see that damn rifle with the X's hashed down the side or that freaking Luger type pistol again, I might find myself writing a strongly worded letter to the powers that be at Hasbro or perhaps an overtly passive aggressive post on this forum. Lol, cuz seriously what can we really do but grin & bare it? Maybe if we ask nicely. Please Hasbro, no more bazookas....of any color. I have so many bazookas even my Punisher figures think they're passe'. I'm sure there will be some slight difference to insure that the something about the exclusive remains "exclusive". I hope this means well be seeing more X-Force figs. Fingers crossed for a new Forge or perhaps a ForgetMeNot. But, didn't they already do one of those. I forget. Wait, who was I talking about. Oh, Forge, that's right. We really need an update for that chatacter.

Back on subject. Just got my Iron Man from the Black Panther (Okoye) wave. Another case of BHS. The Stark head is actually bigger than the helmeted head. It just strikes me as funny cuz obviously that nut doesn't fit in the shell. This time it won't really matter that much cuz I won't be displaying him as Stark anyway. I wonder if it's the same head that's coming with the Marvel Unlimited subscrition. Probably, but if so I'm interested in seeing how that bulbous head sits on that already undersized suit buck.

Does anyone know if there's ever been a ForgetMeNot figure done in ML?

Tony Stark from the Marvel Unlimited subscription is an MCU Robert Downey Jr head. A friend of mine actually pointed out that it is a suit that RDJ himself wore to SDCC one year and not a suit color scheme from any of the movies. He called it a Robert Downey Jr figure, not Tony stark

Wow. When this was originally reported, it was purported to be a comic based Tony Stark head. For me, this is disappointing. I guess it was just a matter of time before the MCU broke into the Marvel Unlimited ranks. At least I'll still have a different colored suit to use with any number of heads (that will fit). Hopefully, Matt Murdock, Peter Parker, etc will fit. On another note, on my way home, I decided to stop at one of my local Walmarts, and lo and behold! I ran into the Inspector Clouseau Panther! Snatched up a couple and bounced!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that kinda sux. Now I'm kinda pissed I spent so much cash on the HasCon version. Hopefully it will have a buttload of different weapons cuz those other ones are all pretty played out. I swear if I see that damn rifle with the X's hashed down the side or that freaking Luger type pistol again, I might find myself writing a strongly worded letter to the powers that be at Hasbro or perhaps an overtly passive aggressive post on this forum. Lol, cuz seriously what can we really do but grin & bare it? Maybe if we ask nicely. Please Hasbro, no more bazookas....of any color. I have so many bazookas even my Punisher figures think they're passe'. I'm sure there will be some slight difference to insure that the something about the exclusive remains "exclusive". I hope this means well be seeing more X-Force figs. Fingers crossed for a new Forge or perhaps a ForgetMeNot. But, didn't they already do one of those. I forget. Wait, who was I talking about. Oh, Forge, that's right. We really need an update for that chatacter.

Does anyone know if there's ever been a ForgetMeNot figure done in ML?

LOL . Zero chance a super super odd character like that would ever get a figure but I am impressed you know that character as he is great.

EE confirmed to me that X-Force Deadpool IS in the wave. Different UPC than the HasCon. I would imagine that there would be to be some slight different to it. Maybe a different gray or less weapons. Something

You got it right! The box doesn't have "Uncanny X-Force" on it, and it comes with his swords (of course) as well as a rifle and handgun, both colored blue. I guess the only way they'll pass of "real looking" guns is to have them LOOK like toys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i noticed too, to be honest while it does slightly bother me i can sorta forgive it, maybe if someone tells Hasbro about it maybe they can do something, but then again we don't know what's going on there so i really can't blame them for this issue, but yeh maybe they'll fix it but only time will tell.

To add a relevant update to this, I think that the new 3-pk Quicksilver has a fairly large noggin. It’s honestly kind of unsightly. All part of why that’s the weakest in that set. 

I’ll also add that many of the ML portraits tend to look very similar. Sometimes it’s as if all of these figures are a handful of cosplayers dressing up as different characters. It’s something I’ve come to accept and overlook, but when I stop and think about it it’s kind of off-putting. This is why I really appreciate the new Scarlett Witch portrait from the same 3-pk, because it looks totally unlike any of the previous women characters.