Is there such a things as to much Marvel Legends

JayC

With Hasbro releasing so much stuff for Marvel Legends this year I am curious if that makes you more excited for the line or less. I know it's def harder on the wallet but do any of you get  overwhelemed  and start loosing interest and quit collecting or does it get you more hyped every time you see new stuff?

I will always say that there can't be too many legends as we are quite frankly filling up our marvel universe. 

BUT! Having so many waves and exclusives released at the same time is something I hate. They should be spread out more. I mean once the Deadpool Wave hits we will have a slow period of not getting anything. Wouldn't it be better to release some wave around then?

Not too much,  just too disorganized release schedule,  The sheer amount of product coming out at once,  especially with TRU gone, is going to make it hard for 2 reasons.

1.  Us hardcore completionists are getting bombarded and that, as others have said, hurts the wallet (yes I know it's a luxury purchase)

2.  Filling the pegs with so much at once may lead to a lot of peg warming, and that may have the effect of appearing to not sell, which may just lead stores to reconsider stocking at all

Make no mistake, it's great product, just let it breath a minute!

I can see the argument for people that want to buy every figure in a wave. For me as a cherry picker and someone wanting to wrap up this year or the next, then I am fine with getting them pretty close together. The problem usually is for me is when I want the BAF and then thats when it can get pricey for me or I want another BAF in another wave hitting soon. The Spiderman wave, I pretty much wanted everyone save for House of M Spidey and that black Daredevil which also hurts the wallet.

I don't know if there is such a thing as too much Marvel Legends. Nobody is forcing me to buy them. But, there is a lot of amazing figures coming out this year, and it is tough trying to keep up on the ones that I want to get.

However, I feel like if Hasbro keeps up like 2018, some collectors might have to throw in the towel. When there are too many figures for completionists to keep up on, they might lose that niche. Also, when you overwhelm your customers with too much product, the collector doesn't get much of a chance to appreciate one wave before they are on the hunt for the next wave.

For me, it depends on the wave. For say, the Deadpool waves aren't interesting me (mostly wave 2). However, waves like the X-Men wave with Tiger Stripe Wolverine or the next Venom wave sure interest me. But I think some collectors might stop buying figures if Hasbro tends to keep re-releasing them, such as the Malekeith figure or the Venom and Carnage figures.

Definitely experiencing a numbing sensation.
I went from buying entire waves, including figures I didn't necessarily want to keep, to cherry picking not just the ones I might want, but the ones I really want. Overall I buy less figures because I've completely given up on the concept of buying everything to support the line. I often skip figures until they go on sale.
And as others have said, the piling of wave upon wave and tons of exclusives all at once is not helping things.

It's probably Baby Groot in charge of the releases-button, and Rocket standing there explaining why he definitely shouldn't push the button or another wave is going to get dumped on the market...

Hasbro is getting more money from me with the increase in volume but on average I'm paying less per figure. Similar to others I'm cherry picking the ones I really want or that I think will be HTF and then waiting for sales to finish the rest. I still haven't bought either Ghost Rider or Black Widow on their bikes because I'm paying to keep up with the main line (and have no space).

I'd be much happier with 6 waves per year with some exclusives sprinkled in. (On the other hand it's KILLING me to wait 2+ years to finish my Fantastic Four!)

I am happy with more waves. Yes, it is hard on the wallet, but there is a silver lining for me. I am not a completist, so with more figures there is more chance on waves that I’m not really interested in finishing; Cull Obsidian and Thanos to be specific. Back when it was fewer waves I felt like I had to buy everything because it was so few and far between. 

Too much? Not really, but too much at once, yeah its definitely hit that point.  For me the Sp//dr wave and Apocalypse waves are must haves, plus the Venom wave is enticing, and you add the Cull Obsidian and Sauron waves on either side, which might be able to be cherry picked, but the BAF is too good to pass up.  For the first time ever as a Legends collector I'm looking forward to the cool down at the end of the year and so is my wallet.  Make no mistake, I'm hyped as can be for the stuff that's still coming, but it's getting tougher to keep up.  And yes, I know being a completionist isn't a good thing for this line/hobby.

Also the end of Toysrus definitely hurts, at least where I live.  Local Walmarts are clogged with Black Panther, Infinity War Wave 1, and to a lesser extent a completely unexpected second round of Vulture and Warlock figures.  Not much room for new stuff.  TRU for their faults, always seemed to be able to get some new stuff in.  This way its hard to take a wave like the Sauron wave and get a few figures at a time, since there's a pretty good chance you'll only ever see them once on the shelf around here.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 9:24 AM, JayC said:

With Hasbro releasing so much stuff for Marvel Legends this year I am curious if that makes you more excited for the line or less. I know it's def harder on the wallet but do any of you get  overwhelemed  and start loosing interest and quit collecting or does it get you more hyped every time you see new stuff?

As a huge fan of what they’ve been doing with the line, I’m thrilled to see so much product but as a completionist, it’s definitely taxing and more so because Legends is only one of a dozen+ lines I collect. I will say this however, with a 2nd Vintage Wave and 2nd Black Panther wave coming this year, that puts the total waves for 2018 at ELEVEN and I do believe that is simply not sustainable. 11 Waves in a year is one thing but 11 Waves in a year ALONG with the near countless packs/box sets also coming out...is a little ridiculous lol. By my count, with all waves/exclusives/character variants/box sets/ etc (basically counting everything), Hasbro is releasing over 100 figures this year lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all. I don't collect the MCU, so I save a ton of $ right there. I only buy comic based figs & cherry pick those for just the one's that I really want. I don't buy flavor of the month 1 comic app,  1 page characters  like Gwenpool, Ms Marvel India, countless DP variations, Ex-hilo & any other 1 hit wonders Hasbro may have done. The Spider universe, I only need Pizza Spidey & all Black costume Spidey & I have yet to buy him. From the Sasquatch wave I just bought Sasquatch , Deathlok & still need to get 90s DP & that'll be my only DP fig that I need, before he was a Merc w/a mouth.  Just snagged Doc Ock & Gladiator last weekend. Just need Wolvy & Sabes from the BAF Apoc wave. Mohawk Storm does nothing for me, waiting on classic Storm. From what was shown at SDCC last weekend, Only 7 figs for me so far that I plan on getting & 3 of emare from the vintage 2 wave.Snagging Kingpin alone as the rest of that wave is blah. Gambit, Prof X & Manbun Herc which I plan on customizing into his classic version soon as I get him.

I think it is too much and they are doing too many of the same characters over and over again.  I know they can only release so many B list characters in one wave but it's getting a bit ridiculous.  We have still never seen a lot of cool characters like Strong Guy, Boom Boom, Wolfsbane etc. 

6 hours ago, Inspection12e said:

I think it is too much and they are doing too many of the same characters over and over again.  I know they can only release so many B list characters in one wave but it's getting a bit ridiculous.  We have still never seen a lot of cool characters like Strong Guy, Boom Boom, Wolfsbane etc. 

100% concur. The oversaturations of various DP figures, especially stupid 1 comic app or even just 1 panel versions. Was there an uproar of demand for some of the versions Hasbro did? I don't think so.  Same with making a BAF of Sp/der or whatever the heck that thing is called over much  in demand BAFs of long time characters such as  Nimrod/Strong Guy/Mr Hyde, ect.  They made Sasquatch as the BAF in DP wave 1, they could have continued with the AF team building by giving us never before done 6 ' scale figs such as NorthStar/Aurora/Shaman. DP is Canadian if I'm not mistaken so they could keep the Canadian vibe in his waves with AF members. A BAF of classic Box in either his Red or Blue look would be awesome as well. We actually need a re-do of Puck as that "BAF" came with a way too tiny head & is actually too small. Puck is 3'6 & that fig scales smaller than that plus it has no ab crunch or even waist swivel if I'm not mistaken. He's a dwarf, not a Hobbit, make him 3.5 inches tall Hasbro.

puckback.jpg

Alpha Flight 2017.jpg

Guys I know what you are saying and agree with most with of it. But, I'm afraid those characters have to be in waves. These are the characters that store look for when they want to buy a wave. It's that the stores want. That is what they think sells and what people want.

Another reason is, when it comes to theme waves, the main character has to be in it in some way otherwise it wouldn't be in. At least they always try something different each time. The only exception is the BP wave 2 but that was only because it was rushed wave.

The people running the stores are ignorant then. It's just BS excuses. From 2002-2007, TB did Marvel legends without huge movie hype & the ML line sold extremely well & the vast majority of it was comic based asides from the bad X-Men/FF movie based figs. Now that Ironman hit in 08 & started the MCU era, it's all catering to the non comic based crowd & geared towards the " I have no idea who this character was before the movie came out" crowd. I bet prior to his debut in civil war & then  BP, hardly anyone outside of CB readers even knew T'Challa existed, now entire waves are dedicated to him. I'm all good with that as I got a classic comic based figure of him & a classic comic based updated Klaw figure. But the reality is that outside of Klaw/Man Ape & Kilmonger, BP's rogues list is severely lacking. I really don't care for his all female bodyguard clan as prior to the movies, they were never really relevant in the comics as BP doesn't really need protection. The way I see it, if Marvel/Hasbro were to start gearing more towards doing MCU based figs instead of classic comic based figs, I'll just call it a day & quit collecting & save $$. I just don't see them profiting from just catering to only the MCU crowd & the line surviving.  Marvel/Hasbro need the comic based collectors just as much as they need the MCU collectors IMO.

I agree with all being stated on this thread. Specifically my issue is the Hasbro rash of rehash paradigm. It's not really an abundance of figures if the SAME character is done repeatedly. (Ares,Dormammu,Groot ,Sandman, StarLord, Cap, Vision, Queen Mesusa, King Black Bolt, Daredevil, Spidey, Thor, Thanos, Dr.Strange, Black Widow, Ant-Man, Ironman, Deadpool, Black Panther...I'm looking at You!)

I get that all fans can't obtain the specials,exclusives or expensive sets,and said character released as a single at retail helps that crowd. 

However,the redone BAFs has got to stop! Please. I used to be a BAF wave completionist. I retired. I still build them,but not ALL of them. I buy BAF parts and or whole BAFs and cherry pick the rest. Peace to the mcu!

Marvel Legends FOREVER!

On 6/29/2018 at 9:24 AM, JayC said:

Spell check or grammar check!

Pssst. JC, it's "too many.. " You forgot the other "o"in the word "too".

It's important to the subject and as title of your article. I'm sure you will fix it in post. 

Peace.

Blessings!

On 8/3/2018 at 5:10 PM, Gmen4ever said:

Being as I just collect comic based characters, the BAF issue/re-issue is with MCU based characters such as Thanos & he's the only BAF that has been re-released as a single in both comic & MCU form. I highly doubt we'll see that comic based BAF Kingpin re-released on his own. 

Indeed. My subject IS the comic BAF.

Ares BAF reissued in Ragnarok HULK wave, Abomination&Sandman(BAF reissued in Raft sdcc boxset) Dormammu(in Book of Viahanti and then cut into a BAF for Dr.Strange wave), Groot(changed from mcu BAF into comic version in ee boxset.)

God bless.

4 hours ago, RoyGbiv said:

Indeed. My subject IS the comic BAF.

Ares BAF reissued in Ragnarok HULK wave, Abomination&Sandman(BAF reissued in Raft sdcc boxset) Dormammu(in Book of Viahanti and then cut into a BAF for Dr.Strange wave), Groot(changed from mcu BAF into comic version in ee boxset.)

God bless.

Not to mention Groot was a TRU single packed exclusive.