Enter For A Chance To Win A Set Of Marvel Legends 6" X-Men & Avengers Infinity War Wave Figures

JayC

I’ve been a Marvel Legends collector since the Captain America/Hulk/Iron Man/Toad wave.  

And I am just as fascinated by the business of Action Figures as I am with the actual figures themselves.

I cannot remember a year like 2018, with this many waves of figures.  It has been a constant flow.
An ambitious year for Hasbro, to be sure, but unfortunately the year Toys “R” Us ceased its US operation.   (I am assuming TRU is a huge customer and was a large portion of their Accounts Receivable.)

I am fearful that this has affected production, and will result in less figures getting produced. Which given Hasbro’s ambitious 2018 plans, really hurts us Collectors, as less product is being produced.
The evidence to support my theory is the scarcity of Mysterio, Spider-Noir, and Reed Richards, and the fact that whole waves arrive in stores, disappear quickly, and are never restocked.  HTS, which was always my last resort, runs out and deletes items (not "temporary out of stock",  just this "this is embarrasing").  Same for BBTS and the others.      

Walgreens/Duane Reade, which has been my reliable, go-to store for Marvel Legends (three near my house, many more a short drive away, plus the 5 or 6 I visit everyday in my commute through Manhattan)   has all but dried up lately.  I used to run out of cash, and had to decide which figures to get today, and which to go back for after payday.  But now, all I see are old inventory and mostly empty shelves.

5 hours ago, mars396 said:

I’ve been a Marvel Legends collector since the Captain America/Hulk/Iron Man/Toad wave.  

And I am just as fascinated by the business of Action Figures as I am with the actual figures themselves.

I cannot remember a year like 2018, with this many waves of figures.  It has been a constant flow.
An ambitious year for Hasbro, to be sure, but unfortunately the year Toys “R” Us ceased its US operation.   (I am assuming TRU is a huge customer and was a large portion of their Accounts Receivable.)

I am fearful that this has affected production, and will result in less figures getting produced. Which given Hasbro’s ambitious 2018 plans, really hurts us Collectors, as less product is being produced.
The evidence to support my theory is the scarcity of Mysterio, Spider-Noir, and Reed Richards, and the fact that whole waves arrive in stores, disappear quickly, and are never restocked.  HTS, which was always my last resort, runs out and deletes items (not "temporary out of stock",  just this "this is embarrasing").  Same for BBTS and the others.      

Walgreens/Duane Reade, which has been my reliable, go-to store for Marvel Legends (three near my house, many more a short drive away, plus the 5 or 6 I visit everyday in my commute through Manhattan)   has all but dried up lately.  I used to run out of cash, and had to decide which figures to get today, and which to go back for after payday.  But now, all I see are old inventory and mostly empty shelves.

I hear you, its all most TOO much.  I collected those first few waves, then stopped and just started back a couple years ago, so I am totally overwhelmed.  I usually try to get the whole wave, selling off any I don't want, or replacing new figures with older ones, but man.  With this many coming at once, Im just trying to pick up those I know will be hard to find hoping I can fill out the collection later.  I wonder how retailers are handling it?  Most of my regular spots are still full of peg warmers from 1-2 years ago.

I'm planning on getting the X-Wave regardless of anything (X-Fan for life), but the Cull Obsidian wave would be a really nice treat.

And yeah, I am totally with you all on the double-edged sword of this massive amount of product in 2018. Especially since I'm not generally a full-wave person outside of X-Men, but between individual characters and the BAFs this year, it's an expensive time. Both Deadpool waves, the X-Men wave, and the SP//dr wave, alongside most of the Lizard wave... and that's only the mainline waves, that's not even getting into multipacks, special lines (Marvel Studios 10th and Legendary Riders), and the various exclusives.

But, even then, I am so happy to see so many new figures that I want. It's nuts. Especially since price increases have made my old collecting vice, Transformers, much less viable this year, which means doubling-down on Legends. Like I said, it's crazy.