SDCC 2018 Predictions

tarot

It's that time of the year again people. That time of the year where we wait patiently for the biggest event of Action Figure collectors. The San Diego Comic Con is less then a few weeks away so it's time to tell us what you prediction are for Hasbro to reveal.

Now for the new people who don't know what I mean, this is an annual thread where we give our thought and hopes on what we think Hasbro will reveal in the SDCC. Stuff like what what waves we will see in the con and try and see if we turned out to be right.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a wishlist. That will have it's own thread shortly.

MY predictions:

• The start (or near full) wave of Spider-man legends
  • Some of the Comic figures for the Captain Marvel Wave (the movie stuff will be left until maybe Toyfair of next year)
  • The Start of the next X-men wave and Maybe the BAF
  • A second "X-men" wave loosely based on the comic versions of New Mutants movie  - Hasbro will try and make money off of it.
  • The Comic figures of the Second part of the Avengers Infinity wars (or what ever it's call)
  • Confirming that Super-Skrull will be coming to Walgreens and given us a sneak peak at what next
  • Some Infinity War exclusives 2-pack (similar to the Ant-man and Stinger set or the Klaw and Shuri sets)
  • At least 4 prototype images.

Well get typing with your predictions folks.

X-Men,

Jim Lee Beast (He's about due)
Nightcrawler (Classic Costume and like Beast, He's due)
Banshee (Maybe)
Pyro (I can see us getting some Brotherhood figures soon)
Avalanche
Emma Frost (Dwight teased her to Jay C in an interview so its a possibility)
Rachel Grey (I got a feeling we may see her pop up soon)

If Gambit is getting released next year then I can see him getting his own wave or the year after. I am thinking we will see in that wave,

Gambit
Jim Lee Storm (His first appearance was with her so I think it would make sense)
Belladona
Mister Sinister

Thats all I am going to guess on. Maybe Prof. X in the New Mutants wave.

• The next X-Men wave
  • Captain Marvel all female wave
  • The next Walgreens exclusive - either Super Skrull or Dr. Doom
  • next 2 Riders with a preview of the 3rd via prototype image
  • Online retailer exclusive prototypes (possibly 2-packs) to replace TRU exclusives
  • Vintage waves X-men I'm thinking. They're onto something, but I think they'll better pick their selections, using it to put out classic versions of wanted characters without wasting roster slots on waves. 
  • The next 3-4 BAFs, but not necessarily revealed as BAFs.

27 minutes ago, rushfx80 said:

After seeing the reviews of the monster Venom and the comments on his size, does anyone else think that it could be used for a Strong Guy BaF? Bulky but not oversized? 

Yes, yessss, freakin' yes I can. I was looking at it just the other day & though the exact same thing. I was just about to post this & you took the words right outta my mouth, bro. Now which version will it be. Classic X-Factor with all the zippers & belts or the later X-Factor Investigations casual wear or even the most modern orange uniform look. I don't care at this point, just get us one. I just hope they include 2 head sculpts, one with the white hair & goggles and one bald head with hipster glasses. That would make my ML collection complete. Aside with updated comic versions of the newly restored Avengers, of course.

36 minutes ago, rushfx80 said:

After seeing the reviews of the monster Venom and the comments on his size, does anyone else think that it could be used for a Strong Guy BaF? Bulky but not oversized? 

look at it in hand yeah. Either this build or the Space venom one. 

As for my predictions:

1. There will be only one actual X-Wave next year. First reveals will be possibly Nightcrawler, Classic Mystique or an improved Emma Frost. Beast will be hinted on but he won't be shown yet, they'll reveal him at a later time to much elated surprise.

2. There will be a New Mutant Wave whether they choose to call it a NM wave or an auxiliary X-Wave remains to be seen. Magik will be rereleased, of course, Cannonball, Sunspot & probably Moonstar. They'll manage to get some form of Deadpool or Wolvie in this wave. If Strong Guy isn't the BAF then I don't foresee it happening otherwise anywhere in the near future.

3. Gambit will have to make an appearance in one of these two waves. There's no logic on waiting another year for a movie that no one even knows is ever gonna happen. Channing Tatum looks like he's aged 20 years (seriously) since talks about the movie began years ago. If they don't do it soon they're gonna have to change it to another actor who ages a bit more gracefully.

4. MCU Captain Marvel will be there but im afraid she will not be able to carry an all female wave, but Ms. America may make an appearance & possibly a Classic Ms. Marvel/Dark Ms. Marvel (head swaps?) & Mar-Vell. Blue Marvel would be smart, to make it an all Marvel wave. If not, maybe a Quasar could find its way into the wave. And I mean the real one, not the gender social experiment female one. Sorry, I wasn't built to fall into all that PC gender swap garbage that ultimately turned out to be a total flop.

5. I don't think either BAF from the two Infinity War 2 waves will be shown but I predict fans will get the shaft again as one of them will end up being the Armored Thanos. Second one will most likely be MCU Hulk in the weirdo new get up we've seen in the promo images or the Banner piloted version of the Hulkbuster. Once again dashing our hopes of getting an updated comic Hulk (freaking ankle pivot) on a modified version of the Ragnarok Hulk buck.

6. The SDCC exclusives will suck for everyone but MCU fans. We've already seen what we have to look forward to. It's time to put that damn old suit buck to bed & give us a well dressed update already.

7. ML Riders will be Captain America on Motorcycle & Deadpool on Vespa. Professor X is also on the way but, like Tarot said, I highly doubt he'll be put in a set called "Riders". He'll probably be an exclusive of some sort, or possibly be the BAF for the X-Wave. I'm cool with that.

8. I expect a few baddies to make it into the Infinity War 2 waves, but most movie based figs will not show up till the movie gets closer. We're gonna get mostly MCU figures, so I at least hope we get the Ebony Maw & Corvus Glaive this time around.

9. One Spider-Man wave will be awesome & the other one will be a movie wave. Say hurray for yet another MCU Iron Man figure. Maybe we'll at least get a comic based Kingpin outta of the deal. Also crossing my fingers for a Scorpion. Spider-Man India will not be denied one more year. Not my personal favorite, but anything beats the unarticulated bath toy that is Spider-Ham.

10. Last, but not least. Toys R Us will not get an exclusive next year. What, too soon?

17 minutes ago, Rukkdeez said:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Gambit's 1st appearance was with teenage (or Kid) Storm wasn't it?

Rukk ole budy, I'm gonna correct you but only in a tongue in cheek, condescending, endearing way and let you be the judge. According to official Marvel cannon, Gambit first appearance was in the shadows as part of the Mauraders in Uncanny X-Men #210 then as a cameo in Uncanny X-Men Annual #14 then full frontal in Uncanny X-Men #266, yes with an adolescent Ororo Munroe. In that sense I would not be remotely interested in an adolescent Storm figure.

1. X-Men wave for 2019:

Nightcrawler

Jim Lee Beast

Jim Lee Storm

Angel (red costume and variant blue costume)

Jubilee

Jean Grey reissue

Forge

BAF Nimrod

2. Gambit wave

Jim Lee Gambit

Mister Sinister

Uncanny Avengers or Modern Rogue

other figures pending

3. Captain Marvel

First App Miss Marvel

Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell)

Kree Soldier

movie figures

4. Avengers

Classic Hulk

Classic Thor or Fresh Start Thor

movie figures

5. Spider-Man wave 1

Smythe

Vulture

Some SpiderVerse Spider-Man

Hydro-Man

BAF Scorpion

6. Spider-Man wave 2

movie based

7. Ultimate Riders

Proffesor X with hover chair

Blade with motorcycle

8. Vintage Wave

X-Men please!

Exclusives:

More Fantastic Four based

9 hours ago, monron999 said:

4. MCU Captain Marvel will be there but im afraid she will not be able to carry an all female wave, but Ms. America may make an appearance & possibly a Classic Ms. Marvel/Dark Ms. Marvel (head swaps?) & Mar-Vell. Blue Marvel would be smart, to make it an all Marvel wave. If not, maybe a Quasar could find its way into the wave. And I mean the real one, not the gender social experiment female one. Sorry, I wasn't built to fall into all that PC gender swap garbage that ultimately turned out to be a total flop.

Technically Quasar is a Marvel as well. He started out as Marvel Boy / Marvel Man. 

So is Phyla, Noh-Varr, Sharon Ventura (the original She Thing), Robert Grayson, Justice and of course the Blue Marvel you mentioned.  

6 hours ago, Rukkdeez said:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Gambit's 1st appearance was with teenage (or Kid) Storm wasn't it?

Yeah but still they can give us a Jim Lee Storm in that wave. It's a possibility. I doubt they will give us a teenage Storm. Thats the route I am hopeing for anyways because I doubt I will be collecting past this next year anyways.

16 hours ago, tarot said:

Does anyone else think that the latest scarlet spider I see going to get a instance repaint as assassin spider man?

Maybe not the entire figure, being if I'm not mistaken an alternate version of Peter it might be on the Pizza Spidey mold. But that head sculpt is dead on, probably better for the Assassin Spider-Man than Kaine in all fairness.

3 hours ago, greenlucario said:

Maybe not the entire figure, being if I'm not mistaken an alternate version of Peter it might be on the Pizza Spidey mold. But that head sculpt is dead on, probably better for the Assassin Spider-Man than Kaine in all fairness.

yeah but in that universe he went through some instance training so one would assume he bulked up quite a bit. Thus that mold would work for him.

On 7/3/2018 at 1:00 PM, tarot said:

Wrong group dude. ML only. But I understand your pain. No Comic ML for SDCC this year Either.

You KNOW I'm feeling the pain Tarot!!! The last bastion of comic based love has been ripped! Let us hope this is only because of the MCU 10th anniversary and just a one time occurrence.  I would ask the design team if this were so when I go to Comic-Con, but from experience, I know I'll simply get a vague & generic answer (ei; "anything's possible").

Ya, and that will be followed by the obligatory "We'd love to do all the things the fans want (then just do it) but we have to look at the market and trends & blah, blah, blah, big ticket, blah, blah, blah, out front, blah, blah, blah, current direction, blah, blah." Basically using a thousand syllables of BS to say absolutely nothing at all. It's so sad that we're all so familiar with the same old song & dance. Give em hell tho, pal. Or at least avoid the ole Shartimus bobblehead bounce & way too pensive and understanding goofy look.

I feel like we’ll have to wait at least a wave for another Storm. Although she’s my favorite comic character of all time, I have a feeling we’ll be waiting. That being said here are my predictions:

Nightcrawler/Lee Beast/Gambit I doubt we’ll see all 3, but a gal can hope

Jubilee (Lee)

either Mystique or White Queen

an X-Force or X-Factor character. Maybe swapped for Jubilee

Spot (did he even get a figure in the 90s?)

Puma

2 Spidey variants

as for the ladies of this wave...I’m not sure

Deadpool with Vespa

Professor X with hoverchair

I'd love to see 2 X waves, but my poor wallet lol

I’ve got my fingers crossed that the next vintage wave will be X-themed, but I’m not holding my breath lol

48 minutes ago, Reggie-Kat said:

I feel like we’ll have to wait at least a wave for another Storm. Although she’s my favorite comic character of all time, I have a feeling we’ll be waiting. That being said here are my predictions:

Nightcrawler/Lee Beast/Gambit I doubt we’ll see all 3, but a gal can hope

Jubilee (Lee)

either Mystique or White Queen

an X-Force or X-Factor character. Maybe swapped for Jubilee

Spot (did he even get a figure in the 90s?)

Puma

2 Spidey variants

as for the ladies of this wave...I’m not sure

Deadpool with Vespa

Professor X with hoverchair

I'd love to see 2 X waves, but my poor wallet lol

I’ve got my fingers crossed that the next vintage wave will be X-themed, but I’m not holding my breath lol

I know they are trying to get that Gambit movie made soon. I really do not have high hopes for it. I just want them to go ahead and do it so we can maybe get a Legends wave out of it if thats what they have in mind. If they do have that in mind then then I figure we will get Gambit in that wave with maybe a Jim Lee Storm and Mr Sinister.

I was bummed that we did not get a Jim Lee Storm or one with her hair not in a Mohawk this year but instead got the classic 80's version. My guess is that they may go this route. If we get Gambit this year then I am afraid they may try and release him without his trench coat like they did with Blade, Dr. Strange without his cape in the Age of Ultron series and Emma Frost without her cape in the Wolverine wave. We got Dr Strange again with his cape in his own movie wave which I felt was lame. Same exact figure but gave us his cape this time instead of trying to give us the classic figure in blue. Dwight hinted at Jay C about another Emma Frost on the way in an interview and I imagine we will get her cape this time. I feel the same with Blade, He'll pop up again later but in his trench coat. I think they do this so they can sell us a more complete figure down the road. I feel they will do this with Gambit as well if we get him in 2019 in a regular X-Men wave if they have plans for a Gambit wave and holding out for the movie.

I feel chances are pretty High for a Jim Lee Beast. All thats left is him, Gambit, and Jubilee on the blue team. On the gold team is Jim Lee Storm and Colossus. They may try and redo Jean Grey and Arch Angel at some point because they were done outside the Infinite series but I am content with them. I would take a redo of Jean though because I don't like her hands. Also I am onboard for a Nightcrawler redo. I am content with my old Toybiz one but if they redid him then I would grab him.

Gambit movie news so far what I found, https://variety.com/2018/film/news/simon-kinberg-gambit-channing-tatum-1202810555/