Ant-Man and the Wasp Non-Spoiler Movie Review

JayC

Ant-Man and the Wasp is a fun movie with a much lighter tone than the last Marvel movie, Avengers: Infinity War. While parts will make you laugh, I can’t say the overall plot was terribly exciting. Maybe it just seemed less exciting on the heels of the aforementioned Infinity War.

The basic premise of the movie is based on the idea that Janet Van Dyke (Michelle Pfeiffer) has been alive in a quantum packet universe for the past 30 years. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) and his daughter Hope Van Dyne (Evangeline Lilly) enlist the help of Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) to rescue Janet, Hank’s wife and Hope’s mother. To complicate things Scott is still three days shy of completing his 2-year sentence of house arrest following the events of Civil War while Hank and Hope are wanted fugitives in violation of the Sokovia Accords. To make things worse, Hank and Hope aren’t the only ones interested in finding Janet Van Dyne as a new mysterious character called The Ghost enters the fray. The Ghost (Hannah John-Kamen), who has the ability to phase in and out of reality, which was cool, but I think the character could have been a lot more interesting. The movie also introduces Bill Foster (Laurence Fishburne), known in the comics by his alias Black Goliath. As with the Ghost, I thought Bill’s character wasn’t bad but could have been a lot more interesting.  

The movie has all the typical puns and character interactions you would expect from an Ant-Man movie, as well as some decent action scenes primarily involving the Wasp. While I enjoyed the film, I can only rate it as decent but not great.  Oh and you will want to stick around for some important after-credit scenes.

Grade: C+

AntManAndTheWasp5ae770179b3ad.jpg

I loved it. I thought it was hysterical. Part of the reason I enjoyed it was because, I agree it was on a much smaller scale, no pun intended, than Infinity War. This wasn't one of those stories where if the heroes fail in their mission the world is going to end. I feel like we've seen too much of that recently (infinity war, guardians 2, black panther, justice league, flash season 2, arrow season 4. So on) it's nice to have a movie where the fate of the planet isnt at stake.  It was very fun. It was definitely a lighter tone. I give it an 8.75

I love the Ant-Man films. These are my favorite MCU films with Thor Ragnarok being the next in line. I think Paul Rudd is a great fit for the character of Scott Lang as well as Evangeline Lily is perfect for The Wasp.

I like Ant-Man and The Wasp. It was a great movie to me. Another geat addition to the MCU franchise.

What do you guys think?

Man, I just love how scene stealing Luis is. I love how small this movie feels, and all the characters they're setting up. The great thing about this movie is how self-contained it is in the MCU, yet it stills feels like part of it and might just have a greater effect in the greater scheme.

Loved it.  It was a much smaller movie (no pun intended) than the others, no world or universe saving, just an intimate, personal story.  

Wasp could have been more Waspy, if you know what I mean, but the MCU Wasp is who she is. 

This should make a ton of money.  Not Infinity War money, but still a ton.  

We need a Ghost Marvel Legends.  Actually two:  one solid, one phasing. 

I just got back from seeing it and loved it! I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Like many here I liked that the movie took a smaller, more personal scale with the overall plot. I feel like that's how it should be with sequels most of the time, concentrate more on the character interactions/relationships/etc. I really wouldn't categorize Ghost as a villain in the sense of the word, she was an antagonist sure but her motivations didn't feel villain-y to me; I liked her suit design and curious what they do with her in the future. I enjoyed the humor a lot, I thought it was better timed than a lot of the Marvel movies. Bill Foster was a nice addition maybe he'll have a larger role to play in the MCU future. Overall, a solid movie, a great addition to MCU. 

I liked the movie very much.  Very funny and in keeping with the original one. Feels like a very natural sequel. Paul Rudd is great. The best on the movie, however are Evangeline Lily and Michael Peña. I usually don't like the comic relief characters because the only reason they're there is that: Be funny. But he plays a somewhat important role and at the same time is the funniest thing of the movie. Another thing that is very cool is the way that they go crazy with the sizes of things. They play it very well and when it goes wrong also makes it very funny, After the very heavy Infinity War, this movie it's very well put. 

Overall I even dare to say that was better than the first one. 

I’m looking forward to seeing this one, eventually... But, I’m not in a super-duper hurry, as the first one felt so clunky to me, every time Paul Rudd had to break the tension in a given scene by ‘being funny’.