Comic Book Legend And Co-Creator Of Spider-Man Steve Ditko Dies At Age 90

JayC

With great sadness we report that comic book legend Steve Ditko has died at age 90. According to THR Ditko was found at his apartment back on June 29 and that he had apparently passed away two days prior to that. The cause of death has not been revealed. 

Ditko who was an artist was the co-creator of Spider-Man along with Stan Lee. Ditko is credited with being the one who primarily responsible for designing the red and blue costume for Spidey. Ditko also helped create other well known characters including Doctor Strange, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, the Lizard, and Green Goblin.

Steve_Ditko.jpg

Wow! That is unfortunate! Without him and Stan Lee, we would not have Spider-Man and the Spider-Man villains as we now know them. R.I.P. Steve Ditko and thank you for your work.

Certainly without him we wouldn't have Spidey or Dr Strange. As much as Stan is the genius behind almost everything Marvel, Ditko was as important as he is. He didn't get as much attention or recognition beyond the fandom or the artists collective. He also helped create other very iconic characters.  This is a great loss indeed. 

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've read, unlike Stan the man, Ditko shunned the spotlight & didn't really care to do interviews. Pretty much kept to himself all his life. Fact is, w/o him & Stan creating Spidey, there might not be the MU we all know today. May he RIP. Notice I didn't say "love" as IMO, what's passing for comic writing today & art, is pretty much a joke. PC/SJW agendas has taken over Marvel comics nowadays. Glad I quit collecting back after the Planet Hulk/WWHulk story arc. Now I just get trade paperbacks of any good titles or storylines I like. Last one I got was the "Thanos dying of Godcancer" trade where Gladiator clocks the living poop outta him. Great arc.

1 hour ago, Gmen4ever said:

From what I've read, unlike Stan the man, Ditko shunned the spotlight & didn't really care to do interviews. Pretty much kept to himself all his life. Fact is, w/o him & Stan creating Spidey, there might not be the MU we all know today. May he RIP. Notice I didn't say "love" as IMO, what's passing for comic writing today & art, is pretty much a joke. PC/SJW agendas has taken over Marvel comics nowadays. Glad I quit collecting back after the Planet Hulk/WWHulk story arc. Now I just get trade paperbacks of any good titles or storylines I like. Last one I got was the "Thanos dying of Godcancer" trade where Gladiator clocks the living poop outta him. Great arc.

Way to take this thread about the passing of a legend and make it about "muh comics."

Nothing bout "muh comics". Just stating a fact about the state of current Marvel comics. Ditko would not have been too happy with the direction his former company has gone these past few yrs. 

Did you know Ditko personally? Because he was a person that used to keep to himself for the most part. He wouldn't give a crap about Marvel's direction, he was just an artist who wanted to create and move on.

1 hour ago, ADour said:

Did you know Ditko personally? Because he was a person that used to keep to himself for the most part. He wouldn't give a crap about Marvel's direction, he was just an artist who wanted to create and move on.

I'm pretty sure neither he nor Stan Lee would be approving of what the current MU has become. You  obviously seem to have no problem with it. Have you seen the lackluster sales #s lately of most of their SJW titles? They have already had to cancel quite a few due to poor sales. Or are you gonna deny that?

I'm pretty sure neither he nor Stan Lee would be approving of what the current MU has become. You  obviously seem to have no problem with it. Have you seen the lackluster sales #s lately of most of their SJW titles? They have already had to cancel quite a few due to poor sales. Or are you gonna deny that?

Try to hold your opinion on your own, without having to resort to assuming what would prolific creators you don't even know at all think. Have you even read some of Stan Lee's soapbox columns? He was pretty "SJW" if you ask me.

Don't assume either what I think. My problem here is that you decided to turn this thread about Steve Ditko passing away into an outdated "sjw marvel ugh" rant. Captain America is no longer black, Thor is not a woman, Hulk is not asian, Wolverine is not a girl, etc. You're two years late to the party to complain about it, not to mention this isn't even the place to do so.