SDCC 2018 Official Discussion

tarot

40 minutes ago, Rukkdeez said:

You know, I didn't even think of that! Right you are!

Oh and Tarot; Ayo had a couple lines ("Yes General" & "Is there nothing we can do" or something like that), plus one more Dora spoke: "Wakanda forever"! Before Killmonger slit her throat (kill me, I've seen the movie over 10 times! On my phone now).

yeah but that just proves my point of why she was named out over the others.

I will be skipping the new Black Panther wave. The new Vintage figures are a maybe. Deadpool on his rider is a pass. I am crossing my fingers for X-Men. I am really hoping we get a great one next year and not a so so one like we are getting this year. If we do score a Gambit in his trench coat then I know I am going to be really jumping for joy. If we get a Jim Lee Beast with him then I will be screaming for joy from the top of my house. If we get a new Nightcrawler with those two figures then, I am probably dead on the floor with a heart attack from all of the excitement.

I know I know, we will probably have to wait til NYCC or Toyfair for all of the X-Men reveals.........

Seeing the whole Black Panther wave, it looks like just Klaue for me.  And I'm cool with that, these waves have been too good and too many for the wallet, I'll welcome a little break while I hunt down odds and ends.

I do wish M'Baku wan't the BAF though, I'd like the figure but not enough to get the wave.  I'm having flashbacks to Mantis with this whole, make an awesome highly request character the BAF thing.

My worst fears have manifest. A complete MCU wave? There's only a select few I'm even remotely interested & the M'Baku BAF interests me in none the least. Chalk up the 4th wave I will never complete.

Actually, now that I think about it, I hope this is the way they start doing all movie waves, complete with a movie BAF. That way us non-MCU fans (me included, if you haven't guessed) can only pick & choose, or ignore the wave altogether without needing to complete the BAF. Done & done. My wallet thanks you for this one, Hasbro.

Also, I'm having trouble understanding exactly why making a black female army builder is so bold. Everything, and I mean EVER-E-THING is about race and gender politics these days and Disney is right out front exacerbating it at all times. Being a man if mixed ethnicities my self, the fact that they did this neither surprises me nor excites me in any way. Personallt, I just don't like the majority of the figures. I just don't understand the forced effort to make race, gender, religion & sexual orientation sucheck an issue theses days. How bout people just like what they like & do whatever makes them happy?

I actually called that version of BP. Also does anyone else think it's ironic that the most recent version of Black Panther is in a line with classic costumes? I even liked the Scarlet Spider just because of the head. Yes it's just a repaint Peter but, well, he is his clone. 

Also someone managed to get a picture of the Back of the box and yep, Hawkeye and Vision confirmed.

That sword is definitely for Magik. the real question is whether it's just a re-release or her New Mutants outfit.

I think most are thinking the same as me as we will be getting a AIM 2-pack. 

Is this the first time they've did an all MCU wave? I'll pass on most of the figures, since I'm not really an MCU collector. I will get Ayo though, perhaps 2, so that I'll have 3 Dora Milaje & Nakia. Unless this becomes M'Baku/Man-Ape's look in the comics, I'll pass on that too. 

I do think I'll get that Deadpool on a Vespa. 

Looks like the Vintage Wave is turning out as we predicted. Wasp was the only dice roll.

16 minutes ago, nieman257 said:

Is this the first time they've did an all MCU wave? I'll pass on most of the figures, since I'm not really an MCU collector. I will get Ayo though, perhaps 2, so that I'll have 3 Dora Milaje & Nakia. Unless this becomes M'Baku/Man-Ape's look in the comics, I'll pass on that too. 

I do think I'll get that Deadpool on a Vespa. 

Looks like the Vintage Wave is turning out as we predicted. Wasp was the only dice roll.

Yes, this is an all MCU wave. The 1st.

13 hours ago, Rukkdeez said:

Other than that, it's been a slow day today. Very much looking forward to tomorrow. On a different note, the Hasbro line has been straight up empty the past hour (no they didn't run out of everything). Very unimpressive year for exclusives.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing the MCU figures selling really well. Especially if they are going to go up in price like the 10 year annv. stuff. The only 10 year annv. set I wanted was that Thor and Lady Sif 2 pack and I got those pretty easily off of HTS. They are still available right now. I only want the main heroes. Everything else is a pass thats movie related so thats why I am really not interested in the new Black Panther wave.

My first priority is comic figures, then main MCU Heroes like Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Black Widow etc. I try to grab one of each that is the better looking one. I really was not happy with my previous Thor figures til I got the one I talked about. Now I feel wrapped up with the MCU stuff.

I'm on the fence about buying the BP wave. On one hand I'm a primarily comic collector. On the other, the chances of us getting T'Chaka and M'Baku (despite constant request for a Man_Ape) in comic form are low so they might make great stand in until then. 

The problem I think hasbro has with making a Man-Ape is simply. he is a Black man in a white Gorilla suit. kinda makes you think if it's appropriate in this day and age.

4 hours ago, tarot said:

The problem I think hasbro has with making a Man-Ape is simply. he is a Black man in a white Gorilla suit. kinda makes you think if it's appropriate in this day and age.

That's an excellent point Tarot. It ticks me off that you're probably right. I'm going to ask about that. Anybody wondering why that bothers me, it's because Marvel comic fans wouldn't be offended by a Man-Ape action figure, but millenials, movie goers (who only know about these characters because they saw a film) and people that find axes to grind (and probably aren't even African American) would be up in arms.

2 hours ago, Rukkdeez said:

That's an excellent point Tarot. It ticks me off that you're probably right. I'm going to ask about that. Anybody wondering why that bothers me, it's because Marvel comic fans wouldn't be offended by a Man-Ape action figure, but millenials, movie goers (who only know about these characters because they saw a film) and people that find axes to grind (and probably aren't even African American) would be up in arms.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I honestly don't see dressing a black man as a white ape any more (or less) offensive than a black man dressing in white furs & whooping and "barking" like apes and worshipping a White Ape as their deity. For that matter, couldn't dressing a black man in a black suit and calling him Black Panther instead of just Panther (cuz ALL panthers are black, fact) be construed as offensive to just the right person(s)? Anyone can twist anything to be offensive. For example, I'm surprised no one has had issue with a white man named Dane Whitman, which literally means White Man in old english, has taken the moniker of Black Knight. On the flip side, were he to have been a black man or be changed to a black man, I guarantee there would be an argument that THAT name is derogatory or that it insinuates that ALL black men are villains. Truth is anything can be corrupted to seem racist or offensive, but if you can make it look cool or funny to the clueless masses they will love it, but one simple misstep in the way something is portrayed or interpreted, you can be sure to bring the wrath of the Social Justice Rangers. Personally, I can see how the way the Jabari tribe was portrayed in the movie could be called racist, but Disney brilliantly made them look like the good hearted rebel anti-establishment bad ayasses who save the day in the end. Yaaaay, and the crowd goes crazy!