Cate Shortland To Direct Scarlett Johansson In 'Black Widow'

Outsiders

Scarlett Johansson will be reprising her role as Black Widow and Cate Shortland will be directing Johansson in the freestanding Black Widow film.  This will be the first stand-along movie for the actress after she played supporting roles in a slew of superhero films including The Avengers installments.

Source: Deadline

AVJ_01.jpg

I really hoped that they have chosen an established director or someone already involved in the MCU movies. Let's see if this pans out. This thing of female leads must be directed by female directors is kinda of nonsense to me. 

If I’m completely honest, as it pertains to a Black Widow solo film, I simply ‘DO NOT WANT’... Unless, of course, it features some of the more prominent MCU character crossovers I’ve come to expect from the majority of such fare. But, even then, having to put up with ‘ScarJo’ for the entire length of the abysmal ‘Ghost in the Shell’ movie, was bad enough. I just do not care for her. And I’m actually somewhat grateful that, up until now, her screen time in the Marvel films has been relatively limited.

I think Cate Shortland would be perfect to direct an amazing gritty, low budget, sexy suspense spy movie as made evident by her previous work, however, Disney Marvel will never allow that therefore, I'm unsure whether this will work out or whether Shortland might leave due to "creative differences." But I'm looking forward to the MCU's first female action movie.

image.thumb.png.37207b7836691a6ab76573161ac7fc53.png

I wonder if this will be an origin film or what. I remember in one of the Avengers films it shows her past so I wonder if they explore some of the scenes shown in previous films. I am interested in seeing this movie. Also I hope that they show her and Frank Castle (Punisher aka Jon Bernthal) cross paths during her time with Russia. That would be awesome!

Black Widow has been a great character in the MCU, but can she really carry a solo film this late in the game? As a support role (like Fury and Hawkeye) these characters help flesh out the story, but I’m not seeing a spy-thriller/espionage themed film playing out well in the current world of MCU. That said, I look forward to being proved wrong.