YOU'RE FIRED! - Disney Pulls Trigger on Guardians Director James Gunn

Wheel-Jack

4 minutes ago, slugzilla said:

Please leave politics out of this conversation,  whatever the motivation for these tweets being exposed, it simply does not change the level of depravity shown by Mr.  Gunn. We all have our own political  opinions,  but I think we can all agree that when someone makes "jokes"  about molesting children, the political party we affiliate with is in no longer relevant. All Americans,  should condemn Mr. Gunns behavior no matter what personal political bias we have. Let us focus on this story that brings us together in the condemnation of pedophilia rather than attempt to draw equivalency between this and any other politically charged issues.

I would take a look at my other post, in this thread... I’ve already tried to turn the focus back into a more positive direction.

6 minutes ago, FASVB said:

The worst part, is that the fans, cannot separate things and will support the person, no matter what bad thing they did, IF their political and ideological views are the same.  But this is wrong. You can't have double standards.  You can't throw stones at Roseanne and hold Gunn your arms and comfort him.  If both did "wrong", they both must suffer the consequences equally.

This puts what I was trying to say, much more eloquently and to the point. 

35 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

I would take a look at my other post, in this thread... I’ve already tried to turn the focus back into a more positive direction.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out personally,  I just strongly believe that when someone says such things about children, politics shouldn't even be a part of the equation, ya know?  It's one thing to say awful things about adults, but in my eyes, talking about harming children in that way takes it to a different level and is absolutely inexcusable. If anyone messes around with kids it shouldn't  come down to what party we're affiliated with or what politician said what, but rather, this is one of those rare issues where we can all come together and condemn it for  just how awful it is.

22 minutes ago, slugzilla said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out personally,  I just strongly believe that when someone says such things about children, politics shouldn't even be a part of the equation, ya know?  It's one thing to say awful things about adults, but in my eyes, talking about harming children in that way takes it to a different level and is absolutely inexcusable. If anyone messes around with kids it shouldn't  come down to what party we're affiliated with or what politician said what, but rather, this is one of those rare issues where we can all come together and condemn it for  just how awful it is.

No worries... I can definitely understand that. And I entirely agree with you.

1 hour ago, sXeblues said:

To take this in a better direction; Who do we think should direct GOTG vol 3? Given how closely Thor: Ragnarok felt to that GOTG vibe, maybe it should be Taika Waititi. Although, a friend of mine thought of Guillermo del Toro.

I would go with Taika Waititi, just like you said, in many ways Thor: Ragnarok felt similar to the GOTG series in terms of tone.  But whoever they pick to helm GOTG3 I'm inclined to think they'll probably do a decent job on the movie.

2 minutes ago, slugzilla said:

I would go with Taika Waititi, just like you said, in many ways Thor: Ragnarok felt similar to the GOTG series in terms of tone.  But whoever they pick to helm GOTG3 I'm inclined to think they'll probably do a decent job on the movie.

Marvel has had a pretty decent track record, thus far, so I’m inclinced to agree... Another friend of mine mentioned Brad Bird — which is another great choice. But, maybe they’ll surprise us with someone new, and/or unexpected. I’ll definitely be highly curious to see.

38 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

Marvel has had a pretty decent track record, thus far, so I’m inclinced to agree... Another friend of mine mentioned Brad Bird — which is another great choice. But, maybe they’ll surprise us with someone new, and/or unexpected. I’ll definitely be highly curious to see.

That would be another good pick,  but the more I think about it the more I am inclined to believe that Marvel will pick someone completely unexpected or maybe even let one of the actors take the helm.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marvel knows exactly what direction Gunn was planning on taking GOTG3 in,  so his removal may not effect the final product all that much in the end.

Pretty delicate topic, this one. On the one hand, his comments were terrible, there's no doubt. On the other hand, it's been 10 years since them. I think people deserves a second chance. But I completely understand Disney's decision as a company. Now, I hope Marvel gives us the real Guardians. As much as I enjoyed both films, the characters are far away from their comicbook counterparts. Bring us the real Destroyer! C'mon on, I want Drax to grab Thanos's heart in A4!

This is what happens when men are under attack, twitter, post joke world and identity politics.

I keep my name out of many things. MEN joke around about rape, sex, pedos....it's what we fought for....FREEDOM.

James Gunn got eaten by his own, they ideology and the attack of free speech. I dislike Gunn as a person, but his firing was not fair and says a lot of society. People call this an outrage culture, where they literally, want to monetize outrage. This is how the Huff Post and publication like that work.

James Gunn got what he deserved, I dislike it, but it will not stop until men say it's enough and tell corporations stop pandering, or a war happens. When war happens, the feminized culture hides and the facts, reason, and masculinity will naturally return and fake outrage will end.

If Taika Waititi indeed takes over, we can maybe see something going the direction that we are seeing in the comics with the Asgardians of the Galaxy. With Valkyrie and Korg joining the team, maybe even Thor might join as the new leader alongside Rocket and Groot. 

Whatever happens, it will be something entirely new. 

I'm not gonna get into the "politics" of it all as I feel it was very well and maturely discussed the posts that preceded mine. For the record, I find his comments reprehensible, I'm all for dark comedy but some subjects should be off limits. So getting to the subject of a replacement I think Taika Wiaititi would be a good choice to finish Guardians 3 but there were rumors/reports that Marvel/Disney wanted to James Gunn to take the reins of the cosmic side of the MCU and for that I don't want either of them. If Disney is indeed going forward with more cosmic MCU projects and hopefully one day an Annihilation project I don't want a jokey Silver Surfer, Galactus, etc. 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, bnash2420071 said:

Wow! Stupid on Disney's part. When will the world learn that words are words and just leave it at that. I understand what he may have said was wrong (I have no idea what he said) but we have the freedom of expression in America and nobody should be punished for something that they say as it abridges the 1st Amendment rights of the American people no matter how people view it. That is just how it is. Words are words and nothing more.

Totally agree 100%. Unfortunately, we now live in a world where everything "offends" someone. I'm not condoning what he said, but my God, this was said 11 yrs ago I believe.  Won't be surprised if the 3rd GOTG movie sucks.

2 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

Totally agree 100%. Unfortunately, we now live in a world where everything "offends" someone. I'm not condoning what he said, but my God, this was said 11 yrs ago I believe.  Won't be surprised if the 3rd GOTG movie sucks.

Yeah, people do not understand about how they have the right to express themselves as they have been conditioned to think differently thus people will willingly waive their rights unknowingly. And eventually the liberties that make America what it is will be gone and those who wish to destroy America will be able to take over without a war. What a shame how people are not aware of this. But that is the sad truth.

I understand why Disney had to fire him though. But again i will not waive my rights. But I wouldnt say the stuff he said in the first place. lol

I am glad he was fired. There are certain lines you don't cross even trying to be edgy or whatever the lame excuse he gave for it and pedophile is one of them. I also think there is no time limit for that kind of thing. IDK if he is a pedophile or not but if he somehow thought that was funny at any point of his life, I really don't want to see movies made by him especially from a company like Disney that caters specifically to kids. As for Free Speech, it gives you the right to say what you want but it doesn't protect you from possible consequences like being fired from a company who I think is perfectly justified in not wanting to be associated with him. My only question when it comes to Disney, how did they not know about this before they hired him to begin with????

1 hour ago, JayC said:

I am glad he was fired. There are certain lines you don't cross even trying to be edgy or whatever the lame excuse he gave for it and pedophile is one of them. I also think there is no time limit for that kind of thing. IDK if he is a pedophile or not but if he somehow thought that was funny at any point of his life, I really don't want to see movies made by him especially from a company like Disney that caters specifically to kids. As for Free Speech, it gives you the right to say what you want but it doesn't protect you from possible consequences like being fired from a company who I think is perfectly justified in not wanting to be associated with him. My only question when it comes to Disney, how did they not know about this before they hired him to begin with????

I’ve only become more familiar with his posts of old, since this story broke out... And, this penchant toward making light of pedophilia, is indeed disturbing. I had almost no familiarity with him prior to GotG — but, apparently this kind of stuff was well known enough for Red Letter Media to have suggested Disney re-think hiring him, from a video they’d posted some time ago. As much as I’ve enjoyed the Guardians movies, I honestly don’t know what they could’ve been thinking, here. You’re absolutely right about exercising freedom of speech. That does not remove someone from the consequences of being a disgusting, heinous a$$ online.

I for one hope that the next director kinda tones down the humor a bit. Thor ragnorak had a bit too much humor imo. Thor himself is not nor has ever been a wise cracking character in the comics, I feel he was written way off character in the 3rd movie. Leave the humor to others, not make Thor a God version of DP. And as for Thor becoming the leader of the GOTG....no. Really no logical reason for that at all.